Community Forum

Data traffic discrepancy

Contributor

Data traffic discrepancy

Over the past several months, since the 1 terabyte limit was enacted, we have averaged right around 300GB per month, or round 3 or so GB/day.  However, beginning the 1st of this month our usage has soared to 30GB/day, an astonishing number to be sure.  We stand at 360GB as of today's date, unbelievably.  Fortunately our router gives us the option of tracking data traffic on all devices (identified by name, MAC and ISP addresses p) logged onto our 

home LAN.  So, over a 24-hr period, the data flowing to ALL devices totals about 6.7 GB, while the Xfinity "device" counter shows 20+ GB downloaded.

My question is:  What accounts for this ridiculous discrepancy?  If a device outside our home is tapping into our (password-protected) router, would it not show up somewhere in the router's Device list?  Really mystified by this sudden and unexplained surge in data traffic.  Anyone have ideas?

Expert

Re: Data traffic discrepancy

See this;

 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/m-p/3269041#M309185



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy


@EG wrote:

See this;

 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Terabyte-Internet-Data-Usage/m-p/3269041#M309185


Thank you, EG, for that link, and I also found a link via the Forum that during the August/September billing period in some Comcast service areas, many customers were hit with data-overage charges solely due to "faulty data-counting software" recently installed by CC.  Now, assuming that this is the problem here, who and how do we communicate our concerns to responsible parties within CC?  Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted!

Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy

Right, another day, another 30GB tacked onto our account...not 29 or 28 or 31, but 30, every day this month it's exactly 30GB!  At 360GB on the 12th, projecting out  to 930GB by the 31st.  Good news is that it would be below the 1024GB mark for overage charges...Hoo-*******-ray!

Regular Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy

Since Comcast claims to have rolled back the defective software, if it is still happening it may be something real.  Do you recognize all the devices you see at https://internet.xfinity.com/devices and if you click to see the usage/time  graphs do they look reasonable?

Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy


@lesmikesell wrote:

Since Comcast claims to have rolled back the defective software, if it is still happening it may be something real.  Do you recognize all the devices you see at https://internet.xfinity.com/devices and if you click to see the usage/time  graphs do they look reasonable?


Oh, absolutely.  All device traffic on home LAN totals about 6.7-7GB for 24hr. momitoring period, all in keeping with 6-month averages.

Regular Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy

Your monitoring is not going to see internet content being streamed on the X1 boxes.  That happens over their MoCA connection that does not go through your router or monitoring device.

Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy


@lesmikesell wrote:

Your monitoring is not going to see internet content being streamed on the X1 boxes.  That happens over their MoCA connection that does not go through your router or monitoring device.


Don't have the X1 box, just basic set-top device.  All streaming via Roku, readily 

IDed on router and  all data traffic accounted for...strictly some sort of SW error at Comcast end.

Regular Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy

I guess if you are sure you are better at managing networks than the guys at Comcast, you must be right.

Regular Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy


@OZ_hamster wrote:

???


You are using software to measure usage, Comcast is using software to measure usage, yet you seem convinced that the difference can only be  an error on Comcast's end.

 

There have been several long theads here about such an error that affected some people, but that is supposed to be fixed and your numbers don't seem to fit the pattern (100+Gb in a random day), so I wouldn't be so quick to assume they are at fault.  It's still possible of course, but also possible something else is causing the mismatch.  Are you sure you are counting all your outbound traffic and don't have rouge wifi connections?

Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy


@lesmikesell wrote:

@OZ_hamster wrote:

???


You are using software to measure usage, Comcast is using software to measure usage, yet you seem convinced that the difference can only be  an error on Comcast's end.

 

There have been several long theads here about such an error that affected some people, but that is supposed to be fixed and your numbers don't seem to fit the pattern (100+Gb in a random day), so I wouldn't be so quick to assume they are at fault.  It's still possible of course, but also possible something else is causing the mismatch.  Are you sure you are counting all your outbound traffic and don't have rouge wifi connections?


OK, once again -- 24-hr data-traffic counter with router entirely consistent with 6-mo. average; no unidentified device siphoning off the router; rebooted both the modem and primary router; the Comcast data-usage counter is adding precisely 30GB a day, no variance, and what's the odds for that other than a systemic error on their part.  Tomorrow, I'll get onto Tech Support and put it in their hands.  Oh, and when I log into our account a message is flashed up, "We are working on your account", so perhaps Comcast has figured it out.

Regular Contributor

Re: Data traffic discrepancy

OK,  since their end changed and yours didn't, it does sound more likely to be their error...