Community Forum

Terabyte Internet Data Usage

New Poster

Cada hora de uso del internet cuantas Gb son?

Cada hora de el uso de el internet cuantas GB son?

Regular Contributor

Re: Terabyte Internet Data Usage

If enough people call, maybe they will get the idea.

Regular Visitor

That’s what they wanted you to do Bryan. It’s sad
Regular Contributor

Personally I wish they would sell you an unlimited plan at a reasonable price and then give you a discount for months where you use less than the terrabyte.   That way you never spend more than you expected and you feel good about saving when you use less.  Much better than being surprised and outraged about unexpected charges.

Contributor

I don't know man, paying for bandwidth you're not using is silly, especially if it's an upstream issue.  For the folks that are having problems with increasing bandwidth when the modem is unplugged?  Yeah, well that's problematic -- and there's a lot of those on this form and others.  A Sync or Unicast ranging ought to be in bytes,  Not 100's of Gigs worth of traffic. 

More people who are doing Internet Only, need to put in an actual firewall and we could probably crowd source the logs and packet captures live when these events happen.  At least we can figure out if it's really physical traffic from some DoS type attack, and you'll know for sure it's not your use or not -- assuming all of your devices including wifi are behind your firewall.

Do this:

Internet <--> Cable modem <--> pfSense firewall <--> Internal pfSense Lan <--> rest of your stuff including wifi.  Don't use the wifi on the Cable modem.  Pass all traffic through your firewall.

The box running your firewall doesn't have to be anything special.  Now I'm just using a junk laptop with a USB 2.0 Nic for my internal Lan connections.  Ought to get you 130-150Mbs at least, which is plenty.  It's an old Pentium B960 CPU with 4G ram.  I'm using 12-14% of the memory, and <4% of the CPU usually.  I suspect you could do it on an old Netbook too.

Streaming 2Mbps 24/7 will rack up 986G worth of traffic in a month.  You are probably not doing that, but now you'll be able to see everything on your network and graph them all to find out.   You'll also have logs and totals from every source as well as combined total use.  Do a packet capture.  Look for weird data.

Now you have something to talk about with the security folks -- if they even care.

Frequent Visitor

I posted this last night and they deleted it.

If you have proof of your modem increasing usage when it's off contact Jon Brodkin at Ars Technica. He's doing an article on this. They delete your posts when you mention this so CLEARLY something is messed up.

Contributor

Saw that.  Bookmarked him.  Got his PGP key too.

Thanks!

After letting it slip on this form that I'm actually logging data with a firewall after noticing a 30% unaccounted for traffic increase, my bandwidth useage reduced immediately and it appears they were correcting for a week or so while on the "usuage" site.  Now, at the end of the month, we're pretty close on agreement of what I used in the month of Sept.

Going forward?  We'll see.

New Poster

Re: Way Higher Monthly Data Usage

I am experiencing the same issue.  My husband and I, average 50-60 somethings who do not heavily stream, we are not the 1%ers they refer to as heavy/extreme users.  Evening and weekends mostly but we are active busy people with other interests and are outside our homes usually.  Xfinity/Comcast data shows in March 2019 was our heaviest use of past months at 248GB...April, May, June July less that 200 GB, AUGUST 2019 48GB.  September we have gone over the 1024 cap and on the last day of September it's still going...we are at about 1116 at this point...oh but it's FREE!!! and then we will get one more FREE month to try and figure out all on our own where in the world all this increase has suddenly stemmed from.  Before even looking at forums and talking to others I was feeling something shady going on.  Now I'm convinced.  I will literally PULL my wifi business from Comcast and would rather pay Verizon MORE money for a hotspot, than to continue to give Comcast the satfisfaction of using this shady gimmick and false wifi reporting to get another $50 out of to go unlimited.  I love TV, and being on the internet but we already give them hundreds a month...enough!!!  They know we are at their mercy and will not stop if we don't stand up.

Administrator

All,

While we can certain understand your concerns and opinions; if you have any individual account data usage concerns we ask that you please start a new thread here: https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/bd-p/YHN.  This will allow our support teams to better track and identify your individual concerns. 

Additionally, our CSA department can provide some specific insights into how data is being accounted for on your account. You can contact them directly at 1-877-807-6581 from 6:00 AM - 2:00 AM ET, 7 days a week. 

This thread is now locked from receiving new replies as it is off-topic from the original post. 

**UPDATE 10/2/2019**

Currently, there is a ticket open with our engineering teams to investigate if there is an issue with the way the data meter is measuring our customer's data usage habits. As of now, we are currently investigating this. If there are any updates or additional information to share I will be sure to add an update to this post. Thank you in advance for your patience as we work to investigate this further. 

**UPDATE 10/09/2019**

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified.  We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Apologies all for the issue and the experience that many have described above. Thanks for posting many details here, that was very helpful in having our teams research this issue.

While updating our data usage meter to a new system, a software error occurred resulting in a small number of our customers being billed incorrectly.

We're very sorry for inconveniencing our customers and here's what we're doing to address it: We fixed the technical issue, we're proactively crediting the accounts affected, and we're giving those customers an additional $50 credit to make it right.

Impacted customers have been identified. We are working to identify customers that may have purchased xFi or unlimited data as a direct result of this error.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Normal Family Hitting 'Caps' Again

Once again, my family has hit our newly introduced cap of only a measly 1TB a month for home internet on a 1 Gig Speed internet plan.

How can Comcast consider '1TB' a normal cap for land-line internet usage? Why does this cap not increase every year as technology file sizes grow?

Why does Comcast charge me different 'rates' per byte of data? I thought this was illegal? If I'm paying $100 for 1TB other people are paying lower rates for the same about of data. I thought that was illegal?

Why were Data Caps even introduced for house land-lines? There's no quantifiable resource that's being consumed. I'd file a complaint with the FCC but Comcast & ATT seem to have bought them out.

What can we do to pressure Comcast to increase their monthly data cap so normal everyday familes aren't being forced into an "Unlimited Plan". Which we had for those of you that remember... we were unlimited, but they took that away, put on a cap, and charged us an extra $50 a month to have it back. Seems rather illegal to me?

This isn't a mobile network. So why are we charged like it is?

How can I request how many comcast users have gone over their Cap? Comcast claims it's only 1% and the cap is there only to penalize 'abusers' but I am not an abuser!

How do we get Comcast to extend their cap? or remove it altogether?

Frequent Visitor

As data quality (HD video/HD audio) continues to improve, will data caps scale up?

The 1TB limit seems very arbitrary -- too round to be based on statistics or math, but low enough the high to moderate consumption user could accidentally exceeded the limit. I was curious if the cap would scale over time to keep up with the advances in technology.

It would seem ridiculous to have the same 1TB data cap 5 years from now, as the amount of data required to stream content and perform normal internet activity continues to increase with time as things become higher definition and more of our internet of things devices use up data.

So what is the plan to make the data cap make reasonable increases as time progresses?

1TB data cap still in place in 2025?

New Poster

Run out of data

I have not changed anything why the past 2 months I have been running out of data? Says my phone uses alot but have had same phone n everything for yrs.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Run out of data

@Engle535 wrote:
I have not changed anything why the past 2 months I have been running out of data? Says my phone uses alot but have had same phone n everything for yrs.

You may be affected by an issue that has been identified.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/m-p/3268732#M30...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Usage

Since I got Xfinity in June I had 2 tv’s, 3 iPhones and a Nintendo switch connected to my internet, and was only using a little ove 500GB then in October I went over 1024GB. I can’t seem to get an answer to why this would happen. I’m password protected. And have called Xfinity several times with no resolution
New Poster

Re: Usage

I experienced the same, same month as well. I think i figure it out after a little battle.

So your created username wifi is were the data count
However you have 2 other options to avoid this

Use "xfinitywifi" or "XFINITY". This wont go against your modem.

Make sure that all of your devices are not checked as "auto connect" on your wifi network, but the other 2 i mention (specially the cell phone).

Hope that helps.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Usage

@Mimi629 wrote:
Since I got Xfinity in June I had 2 tv’s, 3 iPhones and a Nintendo switch connected to my internet, and was only using a little ove 500GB then in October I went over 1024GB. I can’t seem to get an answer to why this would happen. I’m password protected. And have called Xfinity several times with no resolution

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Unusually-high-data-usage-megathread/m-p/3265664/hig...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert
Moved:

Only getting half the speed of my 1000mbps plan

New Poster

Re: Only getting half the speed of my 1000mbps plan

@ComcastMorgan 

I saw on a previous post regarding ethernet being limited to 90mbps you performed a node health check for the poster, maybe that could be the issue?