venglisch's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Saturday, February 1st, 2020 6:00 PM

Closed

Continued Port Forwarding Issues

I'm having a lot of issues accessing my computer inside my LAN because of issues with the port forwarding setup.  There are (on paper) two options of setting up port forwarding:
(1) by adding ports on the Port Forwarding page of the router's admin page or

(2) by using the xfinity app.

Neither of these options are working properly.

When using option (1) I'm seeing an error message of: "Failure!  Check your inputs!" (The inputs are correct and *nothing* I do or change will allow me to setup the port to be entered.

When using option (2) I'm seeing a message that my computer - using a static local IP - must be within the DHCP IP range.

The only way I've been able to successfully setup port forwarding was by using a combination of option (1) and (2) after performing a factory reset.

Does anyone know how to setup port forwarding properly?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

Try hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. This can sometimes clear up some weird behavior issues. You will lose any customized settings, and they will need to be re-configured from scratch if you do the latter.

Then start from scratch;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/port-forwarding-xfinity-wireless-gateway

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I actually did have those issues that I reported after a factory reset.  That is one reason why I was hoping someone knew of a better approach for setting the port forwarding.

That link to the documentation is useful as long as you don't encounter any errors.  I haven't seen any documentation on error messages and how to address those issues.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Do you by chance have xFi Advanced Security enabled? (It may have been automatically enabled without your knowledge). I have been unable to get port-forwarding to work for more than a few seconds with it enabled, but it has been rock solid with it disabled. This is a shame because I actually kind of liked the features it provided, but port-forwarding matters more to me.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

With the Advanced Security feature enabled I'm unable to receive *any* traffic from the outside.  I'm still able to setup port forwarding but all traffic is blocked at the router due to this "feature".  The port forwarding issues I'm mentioning, however, have nothing to do with the Advanced Security feature.  The mere fact that I'm unable to forward to an IP address that's not within the DHCP range, for instance, is completely wrong.  Typically, if you do port forwarding you want to forward to a static IP.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

@venglisch wrote:

With the Advanced Security feature enabled I'm unable to receive *any* traffic from the outside.  I'm still able to setup port forwarding but all traffic is blocked at the router due to this "feature".  The port forwarding issues I'm mentioning, however, have nothing to do with the Advanced Security feature.  The mere fact that I'm unable to forward to an IP address that's not within the DHCP range, for instance, is completely wrong.  Typically, if you do port forwarding you want to forward to a static IP.

Can confirm, with Advanced Security features enabled, all inbound traffic is blocked, even to ports I've forwarded. So as of now it seems like their Advanced Security feature breaks port forwarding.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

> Typically, if you do port forwarding you want to forward to a static IP.

Absolutely true.  In addition to my home setup (with my own router) I manage a Comcast Business setup where I needed to add a port forward to a Unix box running SSH on a non-standard port with  host key authentication (i..e if you didn't already have a known public key in a designated authorized_keys file, you can't get in even if you know the password) .  I have a very specific setup of internal network IPs, so that one day I might be able to subnet my network even further to separate/firewall traffic even further from internal users (e.g. IT servers, business office, and general users).  The  Unix server is "in the middle" of a /24, and the DHCP scope is toward the end of it.   I had to renumber my server into the DHCP scope and make a reservation for it in order to add a port forward.  Completely stupid.   I plan to replace their hare-brained router as soon as I can.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

9 month old dead thread now being closed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here