dcoleman88's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, September 23rd, 2019 3:00 PM

Closed

Connectivity - Internet droping repeatedly

Hi all,

Like others I am experiencing internet drops, at times it is every few minutes.  I am using a personally owned Arris SB6183 modem.  I have a screenshot of the modem Status page if someone can instruct me on how to post it.  The outages are happening to wired devices so I am sure it is the modem or the infrastructure.  I've called Comcast and went thru the modem reset dance and am in the same place as i started.  To troubleshoot I've done the following:

Check wiring including installing new connectors

Check ground

Ensure only one splitter between modem and incoming service.

Reset modem with online app and customer service representative (CR868270145)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the advice EG.  I've seen comcast employees helping other customers with similar issues.

@ComcastKenF @ComcastMorgan @ComcastAlly

Could one of you assist in getting the admin approval so I can at least post the image.  Thanks in advance for your help.

dcoleman88

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

Since you are a new poster, it needs to be approved by a Forum Admin. That could take some time. In the interim you could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites like Imgur or Photobucket and post the link to it here.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

Just host it at one of those free sites that I mentioned.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Let's see if this works:

modem status 

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

The signal stats were o/k at that snapshot in time. Please also post the modem's RF error / event log entries. 

Is there a router in the equation here ? if so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to 6183 modem have the same problem ?

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Computer is hardwired to modem.  Lights on modem do not change when internet drops.  I'll post the modem logs when i get home this afternoon.

Thanks for your help here EG.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

5 years ago

Even though the signal stats looked o/k at that snapshot in time, the error log entries confirm that something is going on. Perhaps there is noise ingress into the line(s) somewhere.

There are other signal stat figures that can't be read by the modem. They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

I'm going to escalate your issue to the Comcast corporate employees that are available to these boards. They can check the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) for any real time degradation and / or error reports, see your node / cable plant and modem health, and see whether or not everything is in the green zone. They can also see a history plot for the modem and poll for those upstream receive signal stats.

You should get a reply here in your topic. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

EG - I appreciate you taking the time to answer questions and trying to help.  I screenshotted the first page of the modem logs below, there are more pages but they are essentially repeats of what you see in this image.  Let me know if i can supply more info that might be helpful in troubleshooting.

modem log 

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

5 years ago

Greetings, dcoleman88! We appreciate you taking the time to reach out to us here on the forums. We hope you are having an amazing day. We apologize to hear of the issues you are running into with your internet. An internet connection that keeps dropping is certainly frustrating and we would like to get this fixed for you. Can you please send us a PM with your first and last name so we may further assist you?

To send a private message, please click the name "Comcast_Support" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here