Community Forum

Are pods + XB6 + Xi6 creating connectivity issues?

Highlighted
New Poster

Are pods + XB6 + Xi6 creating connectivity issues?

I have been chasing down an intermittent outage issue for several months.  From what I can tell, the mesh network seems to get overwhelmed(?) with new devices connecting, and everything disconnects.  For a while, I thought it was a stubborn XB3, which required manual reboots about once per week, in addition to the symptom described.  I replaced that with an XB6 a few weeks ago, which seemed to resolve the need to manually reboot the gateway.  But the unexplained WiFi disconnects persist.... not fun during stay-at-home orders when the kids are zooming or gaming, and mom or dad is working.

This morning when my wife turned on the Xi6 box, all WiFi connectivity was severed, and the xFi application informed me... again... that the network looked good but the pods were offline.  Is it possible that this wireless box, and the combination of other devices, are creating this issue for me?

Some Details:

XB6 + 3 Pods
Typically connected devices:

Xi5 (wireless)

Xi6 (wireless)

XCams (two)

Various assortment of phones, pads and PCs (10)

Thanks for any troubleshooting ideas!  Today, I'm going to pull all of the pods and see if that improves things...

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Are pods + XB6 + Xi6 creating connectivity issues?

I pulled the pods off the network two days ago, but the issue happened again this morning.  Calling Comcast, we went through every diagnostic the agent had, mostly plant/off-premises... which is not the issue.  This is software running on the gateway, has to be, since I have seen the issue repeat itself on XB3 and XB6, with and without pods connected. 

I have no new theories, but a better way to describe the symptom: the WiFi radios on the gateway reboot, knocking all devices off the network for ~5-10 mins.  Happens at least twice a week, always in the mornings between 8-10 am.

Is there any way to investigate what might be causing the WiFi radios to reset?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Also, Natesdad = Connect_Me

I have no idea why original the username is inaccessible... sorry mods.

Highlighted
Expert

Have you tried any device over Ethernet to see if any connection issues occur over Ethernet as well?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion @jweaver0312

I wired up the Xi5, and confirmed that Ethernet is NOT impacted by the intermittent outage.  I had the issue again this morning, and only devices connected over WiFi are impacted.

Highlighted
Expert

Ok.

Is it just 2.4 GHz WiFi affected, or 5 GHz, or both?

There’s something else I would look at. Leave it back on Wireless and log into http://10.0.0.1

Default login
Username: admin
Password: password (case-sensitive)

Go to your WiFi Settings and look for channel number. Then monitor it after the intermittent wireless outage clears up and see if the channel number is different.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

As best as I can tell, both frequencies are affected by the issue.  Everything loses wireless connectivity.  When I checked during this last event, the 2.4 GHz channel changed from 6 to 11.