MsDaily's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sunday, December 8th, 2019 5:00 PM

Closed

Adding a router or extender to my modem/router...

The current modem/router I’m leasing through Xfinity doesn’t give me great range... only one of the 4 TVs I pay for gets good enough reception to be able to watch it. I bought a cheap extender but bc it has a different network name the wireless boxes don’t/can’t connect to it. There has GOT to be something I can do to extend the WiFi range!?! I’m tired of paying $180+ for tv that I can NEVER watch...🙄🤦‍♀️

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

2K Messages

4 years ago

@MsDaily wrote:
The current modem/router I’m leasing through Xfinity doesn’t give me great range... only one of the 4 TVs I pay for gets good enough reception to be able to watch it. I bought a cheap extender but bc it has a different network name the wireless boxes don’t/can’t connect to it. There has GOT to be something I can do to extend the WiFi range!?! I’m tired of paying $180+ for tv that I can NEVER watch...🙄🤦‍♀️

It looks like you have Comcast's Wireless TV Boxes? (The Xi5 or Xi6).

There's a couple of problems I see with this setup:

1. Cheap extenders aren't guaranteed to work with the service because you need to be connected directly to the gateway for them to properly work - not all extenders will support the RDK-B protocol required for the service to work. 
  2. You can only have a maximum of two per house, unless they're hardwired, because of bandwidth limitations over WiFi. 

Your best solution appears to be the Xfinity xFi Pods, OR you could run long ethernet cables through each room, OR install cable coax junctions in the various rooms and switch to regular X1 boxes. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here