MichaelClare's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, February 17th, 2020 9:00 PM

Closed

Port forwarding working.. But only from outside IP Address

I just started my Xfinity service yesterday, and I port forwarded 22 (SSH) and 80 (HTTP).  I didn't think it was working because I couldn't ssh into my server or pull up my webpage.

Then I checked my SSH logs and saw that I was getting random hits from people.  So I knew it was working, but I just couldn't access it from my Xfinity network.  Same with HTTP, a family member was able to access my website from a Time Warner network, but I couldn't access it from my Xfinity network.

I double-checked using my phone which has a non-Xfinity IP address.  And both SSH and HTTP worked.  

I have tried a lot of things: 1) Custom Firewall / Disable Firewall combo for both IPv4 and IPv6.

2) Turn off Advanced Security 3) Static IP vs DHCP.. Nothing seems to work.  Please help as I would 

like to test services using my external IP, but that does not seem to be possible now.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

@MichaelClare wrote:

I just started my Xfinity service yesterday, and I port forwarded 22 (SSH) and 80 (HTTP).  I didn't think it was working because I couldn't ssh into my server or pull up my webpage.

Then I checked my SSH logs and saw that I was getting random hits from people.  So I knew it was working, but I just couldn't access it from my Xfinity network.  Same with HTTP, a family member was able to access my website from a Time Warner network, but I couldn't access it from my Xfinity network.

I double-checked using my phone which has a non-Xfinity IP address.  And both SSH and HTTP worked.  

I have tried a lot of things: 1) Custom Firewall / Disable Firewall combo for both IPv4 and IPv6.

2) Turn off Advanced Security 3) Static IP vs DHCP.. Nothing seems to work.  Please help as I would 

like to test services using my external IP, but that does not seem to be possible now.

@MichaelClare , it looks like they locked the other thread, so I'll reply on this one. I use a few services such as SSH, RDP, etc.  With Xfinity, you cannot access these using your public IP from within your internal network. So if you want to test to make sure that the ports are being forwarded, a workaround (if you have the capability) would be to use your cell phone as a hot spot and connect to the hotspot with a laptop. This is what I do, or just use my phone. There are SSH apps out there that work pretty well.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@MichaelClare wrote:

Please help as I would 

Access to the WAN / public IP or the host name from inside your LAN is known as NAT Loopback and is disabled on many if not most home networking routers.

You can Google "NAT loopback / hairpinning" for more info.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

@EG @kidro2 

Thank you both, that helps...

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here