Ivegot3dvision's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 5th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

Need to change wifi channels

My router is automatically selecting the channels and is greyed out so I cannot manually change them.

Unfortunately I live in an apartment complex and are required to set my channel to what the complex chooses otherwise I get a $25 bill every week I don't change it.

How can I make it so I can go around this auto configuration? Before you ask, I do not have pods and I've tried both the xFi app and by logging into the router.

Thanks

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Xfinity seized control of their routers and took this ability away from us and the workers at the tech support hotline.

I live in an old house and need to control the channels and bandwidth to optimize coverage in my home. I’ve now lost more than 25% of my WiFi coverage in my home and the router is broadcasting one channel on a high use frequency in my area.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

4 years ago

Yeah, good luck.  They've been messing around with this for about two years now, and it comes an goes.  They THINK they know what they are doing, but they DON'T know AT ALL what they are doing.  My gateway is using the EXACT same channels as the gateway for my neighbor upstairs who's router is LITERALLY less than 15 feet away...cuz you know, auto selection.  Idiots.  They can't even do a decent scan to see what's nearby and select a "better" channel, not that it would help in my situation as I live in a very dense area on the side of a hill and need to select channels manually as the AWESOME intelligent (sic) system for channel selection they created is absolutly junk at doing anything actually intelligent.

This USED to be linked, though they won't admit it, to a flag in the comcast system thinking you have Pods.  With Pods they obviously have a need to control network settings for the mesh to work.  I don't have pods, have NEVER had pods, and NEVER WILL have pods.  But getting ANYONE at Comcast who 1) knows what I'm talking about, 2) knows anything about networking and what they're talking about, 3) has the knowledge to fix this problem is downright impossible.  I have fought this for TWO YEARS and am not the only one.

As partial proof of what is going on, here's a FEW screenshots of the error messages that pops up when I set up a new gateway (I've gone through about 6 in the past two months due to each being defective (most with SUPER noisy fans).  It outright states that the system thinks I have Pods.  I have never even inquired about Pods.

And don't even get me started about their flawed QoS they run on the internal Wi-Fi side that they will never admit to having and you have no way of turning off.  It has serious bugs, with the main one being it messes up Wi-Fi calling on our phones.

As much as I am happy with Comcast lately they just keep doing all this little stuff to tick me off and prompt me to go elsewhere.  When I get a silent gateway that works I'm pretty happy but then they keep doing this stuff that just makes me want to take my now $14/month and get my own router again.  Tired of the junk, tired of the excuses, tired of them thinking they know better.

1 Attachment

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Yeah this is dumb. Im tied to channel 44 with 6 others competing for it in my apartment complex. I pay for 1 gig speed and only get 220 and under. Comcast what can i do change this.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I just ran a WiFi analizer on my network, and of course, the channels Xfinity chooses for me, and does not allow me to change, are the worst ones!!!  2.4ghz channel 11 and 5.0ghz channel 157

Why can't we change this!!!!!  When I am working from home, I can hardly attend Goto Meetings because my network keeps dropping out and re-connecting.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

They recently removed that ability, unfortunately..... A big mistake IMO..........

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Are the channel settings we can no longer access at least set on auto? My Roku is connected to channel 1 currently. But I seemed to have better connections with 5 Hz channels. Thanks.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Wordward wrote:

Are the channel settings we can no longer access at least set on auto? 

They are supposed to be.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you very much.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

@Kurtsierens You're saying yours won't move off of 157? Have you tried moving it elsewhere in your house?

(Mine's stuck on 44, and yours is the first evidence I can see that it's not just hardcoded to use  44  )

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I rebooted my Xfinity Modem/Router and it changed the channel. It was on 2.4GHz channel 11 and now it's on 5GHz channel 36. I prefer 5GHz even though 2.4 is supposed to be a stronger signal. I feel my apps load faster and run better on Roku.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Mine is stuck on 149+153+157+161 (shows as 157 in the no longer accessible settings on the router).   Only one close by neighbor has 5 Ghz equipment and it is using the same channels.  I had manually set mine to 36+40+44+48 (36 in the router settings) quite some time back but now Comcast has decided they know better.  My transfer rates have really suffered.  I used to get 450 - 500 Mbps download on my phone  Now it is 350 on 5 Ghz band.  Similarly, my 2.4 Ghz channel is shared by almost everyone closer by now that I can not choose the one that is the best for my use.  I had spent quite some time dtermining the best chanels for my location and assigning the various devices to the 2.4 Ghz band or the 5 Ghz band.  Typically, thermostats, garage door openers, and similar devices that have no need for fast wifi were assigned to the 2.4 Ghz band and laptops were assigned to the 5 Ghz band.  The assigment of devices to the bands is still ok but the speed on both bands is less than it could be.  I despise it when a company assumes they know more than the end users.  This needs to be fixed.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here