XfinityBrittany's profile

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

Friday, June 14th, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Introducing xFi Active Time Limits

As of June 11th, the Active Time Alert in xFi has been renamed to Active Time Limit. With this change, we also introduced the ability to automatically pause a profile's devices once their active time limit has been reached.

Once the profile's devices are paused, they will stay paused for the rest of the day (until midnight). You can unpause the profile by going into xFi, selecting the profile from People and then selecting "Unpause All". 

If the profile has a bedtime schedule, all of the profile's devices will pause until midnight and then remain paused until the scheduled wake time the following day.

If you have paused a specific device, selecting "Until I Unpause", that device will remain paused until you go into xFi and unpause the device.

To learn more about setting Active Time Limits, visit Personalizing and Controlling Your Home Network with xFi or the Active Time Limit section in the xFi FAQs.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

The active time on our profiles is not accurate. For example, it shows that one family member was active for an hour and 15 minutes for the past two hours (and I can see they are active on their computer). They passed an hour and 15 at least two hours ago so probably have a total active time of 3-4 hours today. I’ve reset the app, my phone, and checked that they are on the WiFi (which they are). Also, the active time limits are inconsistent. I’ve only received them once even though times have been at the limits. I’d really like some help because these types of tools were the reason we switched to xFi. Thanks!

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Yes, thanks. It is set up correctly, just not logging time.

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

5 years ago

@Eafish thanks for reporting this. 

Is it possible that they were using the devices but were not actively surfing online? The Active Time Limits will tracking time spent actively using the Internet. If the devices are used for apps that do no require an internet connection, then that time would not be tracked. 

I'd be happy to look into this further if all of the device use time is active online time and should be counted that way. To do so, I will need to know which Profile is not reporting the correct active time, MAC address of the devices connected and streaming for longer than the time limit, and the date and time of day. You can find a devices MAC address in xFi by selecting the device > Device Details. 

Please also confirm that those devices are remaining connected to your home network WiFi and not connecting to the xfinitywifi network. 

You can send me this info via Private Message by clicking on my name and then the blue "Send a Message" button. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks, do video games such as Fortnite, Rust, Minecraft - show up as active time? If not, that may be the problem. If they don't show up, then active time is kind of pointless for a family with gamers. 

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

5 years ago

@Eafish, can you check to ensure that the automatic pause has been enabled for the profiles under the Active Time Limit setting in xFi? 

If this automatic pause is not enabled, then the Active Time will still be tracked for the profile, but it would not prevent access once their limit is reached. 

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

That doesn’t answer my question. I don’t want auto pause on - my question is about whether video games are included in WiFi time on the app.

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

5 years ago

My apologies, I was mixing up the issue.  Yes, any online activities like that should be accounted for as active time. If you're still seeing the active time not being accounted for, we can take a look.

Please send me a private message with the following: the Profile Name, the MAC address of the devices connected and streaming for longer than the time limit, and the date and time of day.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Fortnite, among most games, uses either WiFi or Data(on your phone plan).  If the person has used all of their data for the month then they will have the option to use WiFi, or if they would like to save Data, they can switch to Wifi.  If your goal is to maximize the Xfinity service of pausing, then your best solution is to remove Data from your child's phone plan completely, or limit Data on phone plan to a very minimum amount, such as 100mb/month.  Fortnite is a data resource intensive game (and only plays online) and 100mb will be used up in less than 20 minutes. That way they MUST use WiFi to play games at home and therefore you will have pausing of games functionality as you so desire.  Keep in mind that pausing WiFI on games does not pause the game, instead the game will close when the WiFi is paused, just like if your WiFi shut off while you are in a game or online researching.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

5 years ago

Active time always says 0. It'll pause after the time limit is reached and notify me when the time limit is being approached, but there is nowhere in the app that actually tells me how much time each user has been using the internet.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.3K Messages

5 years ago

Hi, Admmck81. Welcome and thanks for posting! Have you made sure to set profiles for your devices? Here is a great resource: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/personalize-customize-hnetwork-xfi. Within that link, you'll see where it mentions home network activity. This is for xFi, outside of the app. It shows, "In addition to viewing aggregate network activity for all profiles and devices on your home network in the Overview section, you can view activity for individual devices and profiles. Simply select a device or profile to view network activity over the past 24 hours and the past 30 days. Are you able to find the activity that you're looking for using that method?

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

5 years ago

Hi @Admmck81, if I understand correctly, even once the device pauses due to the time limit being reached, is their active time counter in xFi still showing 0 out of X hours active?

The next time this occurs, can you please send me a Private Message with the name of the profile as well as a screenshot showing the active time with 0 out of X hours used? In addition to a screenshot, please provide the date and approximate time when the profile automatically paused. 

Thank you.

New Poster

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Hate to let you & rest of Xfinity Customer community in on this but my 17 & 15 year old tech-saavy teens have already found ways around time limits. All they do is NOT use WiFi when getting online. When you get online this way, there’s no way for Xfinity to control their time limit access. I’m sure my sons aren’t the only teens who have figured this out.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

How do you expect Comcast to control another provider’s service? It doesn’t work that way

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Instead of time limits there needs to be individual device DATA limits.
One device might use 1gb of data in 3 hours and another device might use 6gb in 3 hours.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Thanks you so much for responding so quickly
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here