jwmissionbay's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Tuesday, January 14th, 2020 1:00 PM

Closed

IP reputation attacks after Advanced Security was rolled out

Last week I received the automatic upgrade to Advanced Security that was rolled out to many customers. Since then I have been getting several XFi notifications about an IP reputation attack (similar to another customer who recently posted here) coming from Russia and Germany via our Dish Network hopper. They were all blocked, but I’d like to know how to prevent it. I called Dish and they were unable to help. I called Xfinity tech support and was given a couple of options, none of which resolved it. Here is what I tried:

1. Restarted the Dish receiver AND my Xfinity Gateway modem.
2. Changed my network SSID and password.
3. Checked for open ports through XFi. There were none on any of my devices.

I’m also wondering if these attempted attacks have been going on for a while, and only now are we becoming aware of them since getting Advanced Security. It’s nice to know AS is blocking the intrusions but also unnerving to get daily notifications about them. Saying “Action required! Danger! Threats!...”

I know I’m not the only one having these issues. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Great to hear, thanks for offering to look into it!

Official Employee

• 

2.3K Messages

4 years ago

With the Advanced Security feature enabled, whenever a threat is detected, it’s automatically blocked and you are notified in xFi and given tips on how to resolve.  You are also given the option to Allow Access for certain types of threats.  With regard to the issues raised on this thread related to the DISH devices -- at this time, if you have determined that the activity is legitimate, you can allow access via the xFi App for a certain amount of time. Thank you for raising these issues as we are able to pass this feedback and information to the right teams to look into possible changes or enhancements to this feature.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I wanted to point out that this security issues does NOT allow you to allow access, it is not an option. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

were you able to come up with any information?

JC

IT GUY

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Odd - I get the same message on my network disk from which I stream video.  Have multiple devices but this is the only one that gets the "ip reputation" msg. Think comcast doesnt like streaming video.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I have been getting this message for about a month now. They say they are coming from my Hopper 3 BR, which I assume is one of my bedrooms. I do have a question though. If these threat are being blocked by Comcast, why not just let them continue to do so. Now I must say that although my issues as far as my guide updating, or not being able to DVR, does not happen. I may from time to time, as I am watching on Demand have the show drop and have to go back into the DVR to start it again.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

So you've verified that all of your hoppers are updating appropriately? I ask because you stated you aren't sure which one is Hopper3. I, personally, have an issue with the fact that I can't whitelist an IP permanently. Why should we have to do it every 30 days and/or not be able to allow all ports from an address rather than have to do each one individually?

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Sue,

Your knowdlege is far supoerior to mine.I 'm an old guy that has basic knowledge of such things. Everything works here with  the exception of what I have mentioned. Again I ask, if Comcast is blocking these threats, why not just let them?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Because if I turn it on, I'm getting a message every day that it's blocked Dish's attempt to connect with my Hopper. Every day I hit the allow for 30 days button only to get a new "threat" message the next day. After four consecutive days, and no relevent information from Comcast about allowing that IP address permanently, I disabled it. I was also getting messages about "threats" from websites that I know are safe. I have a firewall and everything set up on the router and I'm not concerned about the false "threats" that it's catching and warning me about. Until they have settings that will allow us to create our own whitelist of allowed IPs, I see no reason to opt into this extra service. If you're happy with it, there's no reason for you to disable it.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Any word back on a fix for this?
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here