Scorpionpdx's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Monday, June 15th, 2020 1:00 AM

Closed

Connection times out every 2 hours

So I have my PC hardwired to my router (R7000P) and the xFi 2-in-1 modem in bridge mode, and it will drop my connection every 2 hours on the dot for about 3-5 seconds. It disconnects me from my competitive games and it frustrates me that I cannot figure it out. I have tried putting it in DMZ mode, using a static IP, checked release timings (they are set at 24 or 48 hours), and lastly I’ve tried Dynamic QoS. Im not sure if I have to put my router in AP mode because I don’t think it’s a true bridge connection without it enabled to bypass the NAT settings. Nothing has worked and I can’t figure it out. I’m to the end of my rope, please any suggestions would help!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

103.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Scorpionpdx wrote:

So I have my PC hardwired to my router (R7000P) and the xFi 2-in-1 modem in bridge mode, and it will drop my connection every 2 hours on the dot for about 3-5 seconds. It disconnects me from my competitive games and it frustrates me that I cannot figure it out. I have tried putting it in DMZ mode, using a static IP, checked release timings (they are set at 24 or 48 hours), and lastly I’ve tried Dynamic QoS. Im not sure if I have to put my router in AP mode because I don’t think it’s a true bridge connection without it enabled to bypass the NAT settings. Nothing has worked and I can’t figure it out. I’m to the end of my rope, please any suggestions would help!

FWIW, if you are hanging a stand-alone / separate router off of the gateway device, and the gateway is not in *bridge mode*, you are cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

You really should put it in to bridge mode. Here's how;

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-enable-disable-bridge-mode

Official Employee

• 

131 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @Scorpionpdx ,  I am sorry we will not be able to troubleshoot your Nighthawk router due to you are in bridge mode with our WiFi turned off.  We can only troubleshoot what is going on with our own router due to not being able to tell exactly why your internet drops off on your Nighthawk.  I would suggest directly plugging in your Nighthawk and then see if the internet drops out and if it doesn't drop out then you know it has to do with the wireleess on your router etc.  Good luck with it as well!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

My xfinity modem is in bridge mode, not my router. I was debating to put my router in AP mode because when I run a tracert -4 it seems fine, but tracert -6 says “unable to resolve target system name google.com“. From the research I’ve done to have a “true bridge mode” I need to put my router in Access Mode to stop the connection drops.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here