epurman99's profile

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 12:00 PM

Closed

Watch espn app for android and comcast one of the providers

Kudos on comcast being Comcast becoming a provider giving us the ability to utilize the watch espn app to stream.  Works fine on ipod and ipod touch.  While the claim is that it works on android smartphones, it does not.

I called espn, who at first was incredulous, and then said yes, app from the android play store is not designed to work now, but is designed to work soon. 

When is soon and when will either the ads be updated to say it does not work on smartphones, or when will the app stream on android phones.

Thanks

epurman99

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

My guess is that you need a solid wifi connection...the player worked for me...

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

12 years ago

WHY does it have to be streamed through Comcast?  WHY can't you just simply have Comcast/Xfinity as one of the listed providers like all the other ones are?

It's NOT like we are sent by the WatchESPN app to the Xfinity website to get a player ya know

When I first used the app, I "Lied" to the app by choosing NO PROVIDER at all (It has this option).  This gives you a free preview for a limited period of time.  AT NO POINT was I directed to ANY website (Not even ESPN's own website).  I was simply given a list of what was on each ESPN channel at the time & a choice as to which one I wanted to watch.  From there, the BUILT-IN app player was brought up & (After a brief buffering time) I was watching ESPN (I forget just which channel I picked at the time now though)

In any case, HOW HARD IS IT for you guys at Comcast to understand/comphrehend that YOU CANNOT CONTROL OR DICTATE THE DISTRIBUTION OF CONTENT BROADCAST OR STREAMED BY CHANNELS NOT OWNED BY COMCAST BECAUSE YOU DO NOT HAVE THE RIGHT TO DO SO ???

JMO.....

Cheers 😄

PC

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

12 years ago

ComcastJoe

We are referring to BOTH the WatchESPN app (Which you only have the link for iPhone/iPad & NOT the Android version (Which I'll be glad to provide)) **AND** the Xfinity.com/TV website you mentioned because THEY ARE ONE & THE SAME

Translation - THEY ARE NOT DIFFERENT

That said - Here's the link to the Android version (Since SOMEONE obviously forgot to do their job correctly when WatchESPN support was rolled out) - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=air.WatchESPN&feature=nav_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImFpci5XYXRjaEVTUE4iXQ..

You will find that IT DOES stream video.  All we need is for Comcast/Xfinity to be added to the list of providers.  HOW HARD IS SOMETHING AS SIMPLE AS THAT TO DO ???  Surely it can't be THAT hard to do or take THAT long to get done (But alas, we live in a world of CORPORATE KNUCKLEHEADS who have a propensity to take what should be THE SIMPLEST of tasks & TURN THEM INTO MAJOR GIGANTIC ORDEALS 😠 #Grr )

Cheers 😄

PC

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

12 years ago

NBA season is over now, I really don't care if I have it or not anymore.

But thanks for the info on the skyfire thingie, I'll have to check it out.  My phone doesn't support Adobe Flash and there's been a number of times that I've hit snags with stuff because of it.

Contributor

• 

47 Messages

12 years ago

epurman -

If you have an Android with Flash, you shouldn't have a problem with streaming video AT ALL !!!  If your device DOES NOT support Flash, you can circumvent that by downloading the Skyfire web browser (It's the default browser on my T-Mobile Samsung Exhibit II) & the Skyfire Video License Key from GP

While the browser itself is free, the video license is not (But it's not expensive either).  Here's where you can download each.....

SKYFIRE BROWSER - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skyfire.browser&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsImNvbS5za3lmaXJlLmJyb3dzZXIiXQ..

SKYFIRE VIDEO LICENSE KEY - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.skyfire.browser.license.video&feature=more_from_developer#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDEwMiwiY29tLnNreWZpcmUuYnJvd3Nlci5saWNlbnNlLnZpZGVvIl0.

The video license key is used by the browser to display video via landscape mode & does quite well (Sometimes it's EVEN BETTER than using Flash itself)

Hope this helps.....

Cheers 😄

PC

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

12 years ago

DITTO on your comments to COMCAST --- get this fixed !!! 

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks to PC_Bigboy for the link to the Android app.   I noted that today it said this (emphasis mine):  

Access to WatchESPN live video is determined by your TV provider and, in some instances, your Internet service provider. The providers below are currently offering access to live video:
• Bright House Networks, Time Warner Cable & Verizon FiOS TV – ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN3 and ESPNU are available to fans who receive ESPN as part of their TV package
• Comcast – Coming soon to Google play
• Verizon High Speed Internet – If you do NOT receive TV service from an above provider, but receive high-speed internet from Verizon, you will have access to ESPN3

Please check back regularly as new TV providers are added. 

Comcast Joe:  Any input on what "soon" means?

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

I have both android devices as well as an Ipad (work related) and the app is in both market systems, the issue is that on the Ipad device when you launch the app it will ask your provider (Comcast) than take you to the feeds. On the android side Comcast is not a choice as a provider.

The app already exist in the android market all we need it for Comcast to be listed as a provider on the android app. I assume the would entail working with espn as well but considering you (Comcast) are already a provider on the I-pad side it should not be that diificult unless there is a royalty issue.

My question is has Comcast contacted Espn at all around this? Again the android app exist and other providers are listed and Comcast is listed as a provider on the Ipad app so why not on the android device?

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

Comcast seems to not like Android users  or they have a deal with Apple. They had streaming on the Iphone for over a year before they put out the android  app to provide limited streaming.

Even though the WatchEspn app is out for the Android  , Comcast is not a listed provider. and very likely not will be by the time the olympics  are on. Dispite the fact they sent out emails and advertisment in their billing statement saying olympic coverage any screen.

Regular Contributor

• 

192 Messages

12 years ago

Any updates on when "coming months" might be? That was the line about two months ago, so it seems like we are well into "coming months" now. I can't believe the streaming protocols need to be different for android and ios, so how many months could it possibly take to just get comcast authentication wedged into the android app?

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

12 years ago

Please please please please please get this fixed !!!!!!

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I have the android WatchESPN app loaded on my Kindle Fire, and it works via my comcast connection if I choose one of the listed carriers and watch without signing in. It will only work for a few hours (free preview) then it will shutdown. So, there is no technical reason why it won't work with Comcast. So what IS the reason? I note in the app that there are 5 ESPN network streams, while if I login to my comcast account on my PC to watch tv, I see only 3 ESPN choices. Could this be the hold up???

Anyway, until Comcast and ESPN get their collective heads out of their nether regions,

>>>my workaround is to delete and reinstall the app whenever I want to watch on my Kindle Fire, that way getting more free hours.<<<

Update: the delete and reinstall trick does not work. 😞

But you can still try this ONCE and get the free preview for a few hours.

So, just have to wait for Comcast/ESPN to get their act together!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

Anyone considered the idea that adding all their Android customers to WatchESPN availability may increase the fees Comcast pays ESPN (Disney)?

That sounds logical to me, and it would go very far in explaining why Comcast is in no rush to add this feature.  It just sucks that it's the Android users getting the shaft rather than iPhone (why are they better?). 

Any mod able to provide an update to this? As we are almost 3 months past the rollout when it was said we would see availability "in coming months".  Very frustrating, but certainly not the first time I've seen things like this from Comcast.

Getting ESPN3 access only took about 2.5 years...  

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

When will this work on an Android phone?

Frequent Visitor

• 

11 Messages

12 years ago

If it is like what comcast did for thier xfinity streaming, it will be in a year and only offer a fraction of the content.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here