epurman99's profile

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 12:00 PM

Closed

Watch espn app for android and comcast one of the providers

Kudos on comcast being Comcast becoming a provider giving us the ability to utilize the watch espn app to stream.  Works fine on ipod and ipod touch.  While the claim is that it works on android smartphones, it does not.

I called espn, who at first was incredulous, and then said yes, app from the android play store is not designed to work now, but is designed to work soon. 

When is soon and when will either the ads be updated to say it does not work on smartphones, or when will the app stream on android phones.

Thanks

epurman99

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

12 years ago

one of the "miscommunications" is here:

http://espn.go.com/watchespn/getaccess?

it refers to the Google Play App to download the Watch ESPN app which gives the illusion that the app will work when downloaded to your Android device -- and I just spent an hour finding out it does not. 

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

My xfinity player plays reruns of previously played shows but does not stream for current programming; watch espn does this.  Does your xfinity player stream any programming.

Thanks

Official Employee

• 

7.2K Messages

12 years ago

@epurman wrote:

My xfinity player plays reruns of previously played shows but does not stream for current programming; watch espn does this.  Does your xfinity player stream any programming.

Thanks

Are you referring to the WatchESPN app on your iPhone or iPad or are you referring to live ESPN streaming on www.xfinity.com/tv?

Thanks,
Joe
XfinityTV.com/Xfinity.com Support
@TWITTER: @XfinityTVJoe

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

yeah. this whole "we'll bring it to android in the coming MONTHS" is complete BS.

hey - listen: it already works for iOS. All you needed to do was to add "Comcast" as the approved provider option to the ESPN app and feed the customer info / log in info to ESPN.

the exactly same is needed for the Android app.

They already made the change for the iOS app, so it's hard to believe why a similar change for Android should take "a few months".

I work in the ecommerce/IT industry and work a lot with developers and programmers. this should be a 4 week project at most. Especially since they are no reinventing the wheel...

However, we all know Apple and maybe Comcast gave iOS exclusivity for a few months just to make Apple and ESPN or whoever happy.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

Thanks comcast joe:

You are correct.  For an Android phone (in my case Samsung Galaxy), when I go to the URL the WatchESPN , www.xfinity.com/tv?   after scrolling to watch live TV, I get boxes for ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN3.

Because of Flash, I can stream any of those.

Because I have sprint, it comes with Sprint TV; Sprint TV has a limited selection of live programming but one of the 24/7 channels is ESPN; this is slightly better than the xfinity URL above.  However, the android CANNOT stream with watchespn at this time.

However, the IOS or ipod touch for a comcast user can get and stream with the watchespn app CURRENTLY.

Hope this clarifies.

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

this is the biggest joke. why don't they advertise iPhone while they are at it?

New Poster

• 

6 Messages

12 years ago

its about the money, not the technology

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

PS - forgot to mention that I called Comcast support here in Jacksonville asking about this four different times - three times I got disconnected while being transferred to the "app department."   The one time I got through I was told to go to http://www.comcast.net/sports/ and that I could do what I needed to from there.   I can watch TV on the PC - but there is no link to the smartphone app.   Ugh!   I would encourage you not to advertise something you can't deliver!

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I share the frustration of downloading the WatchESPN app on my Android, only to be told that to use it I must be a subscriber of Bright House, Time Warner, or Verizon.   ComcastJoe asked "where are you seeing that?"   Joe:  I got a message "pushed" to my cable TV box (in Jacksonville, FL), accessible from the cable tv menu "messages" option on Thursday, June 7, that said (quoting verbatim, emphasis mine): "Enjoy your favorite ESPN networks live on your computer, tablet, or smart phone.  Download the WatchESPN app or visit xfinity.com/tv.  Best of all, it's now included with your XFINITY TV service."   Again, note, this wasn't eager me going out there to download it to see if it worked.  I got a message from Comcast, pushed to my TV, telling me that I could download an app on my "smart phone,"  not iPhone.

Please let us know when it will be available for Android.   A correction to the erroneous advertising would be nice as well.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

12 years ago

I got an email from Xfinity telling me to enjoy ESPN on my computer and on my smartphone, so yea, I wasn't out there looking for it either, it was a case of Comcast knocking on my door and telling me about this great new service I have.  yea, right. They need to define smartphone as iPhone and not Android. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I think it is kind a funny that Comcast send out messages to your email and set top box stating you can now watch ESPN on your phone and your tablet. When download the Android app "Watch ESPN" it shows almost every provider out there with the exception of Comcast. So when is this going to be fixed?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

It's not about whether we come next or not, what is important that they shouldnt advertise (or advertise properly) about the watch ESPN app unless they have actually implemented it.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

as per your ad, i downloaded "WatchESPN" app on Android smartphone. it loaded okay but then tells me i must have one of the following providers to use: Bright House, Time Warner, Verizon Broadband, or Verizon FIOS.   how do i make it work on my phone? thanks,

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

It's been three months.  Any update on when the WatchESPN Android app will support Comcast customers??

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

12 years ago

I tried this on my droid and screen looks like it is loading and then goes "black" 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here