danachit's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, September 27th, 2019 7:00 AM

Closed

Roku - Xfinity Stream - away from home?

I'm up in the mountains. Using Roku. I am a loyal xfinity customer but away from home.

Will I ever be able to use xfinity streaming on a TV via Roku while away from home?  

I'm continuing to stay loyal to comcast and pay the big bucks while others are jumping ship. Yall need to make this happen because I'm getting close to joining them. This would be one thing you can do to help 'butter the biscuit'. Thanks for any input...sooo many threads and I'm getting overwhelmed sorting through them all. 🙂 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

No, Roku access is meant as a replacement for cable boxes

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Yes, wherever you can get an internet connection in the U.S.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Can I get onto xfinitystreaming away from home

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I'm in the same boat and hope Xfinity and Roku come to some kind of an agreement to fix this issue.

I tried to use my Roku with the Xfinity Streaming app while on the road in our RV.  I got an error message saying I couldn't connect because you have to be using your home Comcast (xfinity) cable wifi connection.  Since I was using a remote WiFi hotspot away from home, it would not let me use the app on Roku.

Here's the kicker.  You can stream all day long from your laptop, iphone/ipad, or android devices, but NOT thru Roku.  So, I connected to the hotspot with my laptop and ran an HDMI cable to my AV receiver.  Bingo, I had full Xfinity Streaming access through the Xfinity website.  But, what a clumsy way to do things, right?

I'm guessing this is some Xfinity - Roku issue, since the problem is specific to using Roku with the Xfinity Streaming app.  

So, for now, when I'm away from home in the RV, I'll have to use my laptop connected to my TV or AV receiver and browse to the Xfinity website to stream.

I don't know if I can use an HDMI adapter with my iphone to use the Xfinity Streaming app, but that would make it a little easier than using my laptop.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@phochief wrote:

I'm in the same boat and hope Xfinity and Roku come to some kind of an agreement to fix this issue.

I tried to use my Roku with the Xfinity Streaming app while on the road in our RV.  I got an error message saying I couldn't connect because you have to be using your home Comcast (xfinity) cable wifi connection.  Since I was using a remote WiFi hotspot away from home, it would not let me use the app on Roku.

Here's the kicker.  You can stream all day long from your laptop, iphone/ipad, or android devices, but NOT thru Roku.  So, I connected to the hotspot with my laptop and ran an HDMI cable to my AV receiver.  Bingo, I had full Xfinity Streaming access through the Xfinity website.  But, what a clumsy way to do things, right?

I'm guessing this is some Xfinity - Roku issue, since the problem is specific to using Roku with the Xfinity Streaming app.  

So, for now, when I'm away from home in the RV, I'll have to use my laptop connected to my TV or AV receiver and browse to the Xfinity website to stream.

I don't know if I can use an HDMI adapter with my iphone to use the Xfinity Streaming app, but that would make it a little easier than using my laptop.

roku has nothing to do with the DRM (rights managment) of the video service. the beta stream channel enforces the contracts comcast has with the vendor networks. the use of lap/desktop HDMI connection to a TV/monitor is a grandfathered function (existed before the restrictions were put into law). mobile phones do not enjoy that grandfathered use. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here