sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

When will an app be available for my Nook (which does not participate in Google play)? Also, when will Comcast allow HBO Go on my Roku &/or Xbox?  Getting very frustrated & considering switching to -DirectTV...hate being so limited as to what devices I can watch on (my laptop & TV)...feel that I am not getting my money's worth.  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

FYI DirecTV is the only other major that is blocking Roku from HBOGO otherwise they are a great choice

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

How many times do we have to say this??

If you're one of the people asking why I need HBOGO on my roku when im at home, my room is not one of the rooms that has access to cable. And if you're wondering why cant I watch on my computer, well, the point of my roku is to watch something on my tv *while* im using my computer.

So, comcast, how many times do we have to ask for roku hbogo support?

This thread had to be made because obviously the long thread is being ignored

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I guess I'm long thread +1

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@karenned wrote:

When will an app be available for my Nook (which does not participate in Google play)? Also, when will Comcast allow HBO Go on my Roku &/or Xbox?  Getting very frustrated & considering switching to -DirectTV...hate being so limited as to what devices I can watch on (my laptop & TV)...feel that I am not getting my money's worth.  Thanks.

Unless you root the Nook, you probably will not be able to view much from any provider, I think B&N sets limits on the apps for their shell. I went back to Dish, which does support the Roku. The Xbox 360 is supported by Comcast, however I think you have to pay a monthly fee to the xBox folks.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I really wish Comcast would support HBO GO with the Roku Player. They support it with the Xbox, so why not Roku? Make no logical sense. Please fix this ASAP Comcast!

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

I commented on this before. I have direct TV and Comcast internet.  Also as has been stated before the problem is authorization not content blocking. In other words if HBO had your subscription information and could authorize you directly there would be no problem with any device. Comcast or any other cable or internet content provider would just be the carrier of the data which is NOT blocked.

Unfortunately I don't think that TV content providers supply actual customer info to HBO. They just supply numbers and pay HBO for the number of subscribers passing that charge onto you. If HBO actually had your account information then they could directly authorize you. At this point it would have nothing to do with your internet carrier. Roku would talk to HBO directly without limitation from your internet provider.

That being said I still don't think that HBO is not without fault here. They are the HBOGO content provider and if they thought that this was hurting their business they could put pressure on the TV providers - DirectTV and Comcast to allow devices to be supported. It is kind of false advertising because they do advertise even on directTV that HBOGO is available and they don't stipulate there are any other limitations. So if HBO had a way of authorizing you directly then there would be no issue with any device as long a HBO allowed it. I see a lot of people talking about leaving their TV providers because of this but no one ever talks about leaving HBO. Not that I have any illusion that anyone would really leave HBO because of this and HBO probably knows that but I still think they share the blame. The problem would also be solved If their contract with the TV providers stated that HBOGO must be supplied to all subscribers without limitation. So how about complaining to HBO. I doubt Comcast or DirectTV would fail to sign a contract with that stipulation and jeopardize their having HBO content.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

11 years ago

Here is a link that talks about this. It is dated but details some of the issues.

http://gigaom.com/video/hbo-go-for-roku-comcast-directv/

and this link which states don't blame HBO.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/02/10/hbo-go-not-working-on-your-roku-dont-blame-hbo/

I still do not agree with that though as I think HBO is in the drivers seat here. If any service did not have HBO I would be long gone from being a customer. If HBO demanded their go content to be provided in their contract and a TV provider did not agree and then refused to sign the contract and carry HBO it would be the provider that would suffer. HBO users would just go elsewhere. This would be a good selling point for FIOS in my area, I wonder why they have not used it in their ads.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Verizon just finished installing fiber for FIOS in Poolesville.  After years of problems with COMCAST including no HBOGO on ROKU it is going to be - bye, bye - to Comcast within the next week or so.  Your stupidity is loosing customers for you.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Come on fellows, we pay over $200/month for Comcast and our HBO Subscription.  Why don't you allow HBO Go on Roku!

-DUANE WADSWORTH-

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@dfunk988 wrote:

I really wish Comcast would support HBO GO with the Roku Player. They support it with the Xbox, so why not Roku? Make no logical sense. Please fix this ASAP Comcast!

Because they are partners with Microsoft, you have to pay a monthly fee to xBox to get "premium" services such as streaming, and I'll bet Microsoft is paying Comcast some part of that fee.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I suggest posting on their Facebook page also.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

The rub here is "participating TV providers."  Comcast isn't one of them!

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

I am an HBO subscriber through Comcast. If you miss a show, you only have OnDemand and that does not have everything. HBOGO is awesome. IT has every HBO program ever made, every documentary, comedy, etc. so much better than onDemand. someitmes my OnDemand digitizes. We got a Roku for a gift and see that HBO GO is a channel (which I should get since I am a subscriber!) No such luck with Roku and Comcast. The only way I can see HBO GO is via my laptop or my cell phone. I can tether this to my TV but the resolution is terrible. I hope that Comcast will allow Roku devices. They're not losing any money!

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

Want to make a bet? On this forum (that comcast has ignored for well over a year), there are a select few that will look for such a subject. BUT. If you put it out in the open on Facebook, it will be taken off, and you will be reported, and most likely be suspended for a period of time. Facebook is HUGE on censorship when it comes to big clients.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here