requa's profile

Contributor

• 

133 Messages

Thursday, October 31st, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Xfinity Wi-Fi Settings Turning Wi-Fi Off (but not On)

For the past few days, I've been discovering my Wi-Fi is off on my Galaxy S9. I typically keep Wi-Fi, data, and BT turned on all the time and have been fine with battery life. When I drilled into the advanced wi-fi settings, I found an entry in Wi-Fi Control History saying that Xfinity Wifi Settings had turned off my wifi shortly after I arrived at work this morning (no wifi available there). I was at home by the time I saw this, and had been there and using my phone long enough for it to have discovered my home network and the Xfinitywifi signal. I don't mind the phone's attempt to save my battery by shutting that antenna down, but I thought it was also supposed to turn it back on for a known signal. What settign am I missing either to turn it back on automatically or stop turning it off? I'm concerned I'll start racking up actual data usage for a change.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

@Se6ast wrote:
"I apologize for the inconvenience but we are not able to receive screenshots due to security purposes. I did some further research with my support team and they did tell me that the recent software update that Samsung made was causing this issue to occur. It's something that it's currently still being worked on. "

This is the same excuse they made in October...trying to blame Samsung. At that time there actually was a Samsung update that may, in fact, have caused the Xfinity WiFi Settings app to misbehave. Xfinity pushed a temporary "fix" after several weeks that worked. This time, though, the update was from Xfinity in the form of a new version of the Xfinity WiFi Settings app  (Version 4.1.28.2) which broke the WiFi management again. As far as I know there have been no recent Samsung updates, and apparently Xfinity doesn't know how to do regression testing.

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

I still don't have the app on my phone, despite another Samsung update.  It disappeared at the end of last year.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

@fred2179 wrote:

I still don't have the app on my phone, despite another Samsung update.  It disappeared at the end of last year.

The Xfinity WiFi Settings appis a System App and won't show up on your regular apps page. You must go to SETTINGS, then APPS on your phone to find it and you may have to toggle on "Show System Apps"....

Tap on SETTINGS

Scroll down and tap on APPS

Depending on your phone you may have to tap on 3 dots at top right of screen and then tap on “Show system apps”

Scroll way down and tap on “XFINITY WiFi Settings”

Scroll to bottom to see version number

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

@rjsimons15 wrote:

@fred2179 wrote:

The Xfinity WiFi Settings appis a System App and won't show up on your regular apps page. You must go to SETTINGS, then APPS on your phone to find it and you may have to toggle on "Show System Apps"....

Excuse me, but that was discussed at the beginning of this thread (and I'm a nerd so I know how to find an app.)  My app is gone.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

@fred2179 wrote:

Excuse me, but that was discussed at the beginning of this thread (and I'm a nerd so I know how to find an app.)  My app is gone.

Didn't mean to offend... You hadn't previously mentioned that you were a nerd... I was just trying to help...........

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

@rjsimons15 wrote:

@fred2179 wrote:

Didn't mean to offend... You hadn't previously mentioned that you were a nerd... I was just trying to help...........

Smiley Wink

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Same on A50.....ran up my mobile data. I came here looking for solutions but what I saw was MANY complaints and the ONLY solution was by a forum member that took the steps to reach CS and post...Thank you. Perhaps XFINITY could reply in their forum and offer suggestions.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Wont turning this setting "off" effect the phone automatically connecting while out. Like connecting at a store I use regularly

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

It appears the problem has been resolved with the latest Android update to my phone yesterday morning  Build number QP1A.190711.020.G965USQU7DTA5  Evidently the Xfinity WiFi app ver 4.1.28.2 is dependent on this version of Android OS.

I like probably most people don’t update my phone until I get prompted to by the upgrade. I don’t know if Android pushes their updates to everyone at the same time or does it incrementally by location.

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

@RustyBollinger wrote:
Wont turning this setting "off" effect the phone automatically connecting while out. Like connecting at a store I use regularly

No, it only disables automatic connection to Xfinity Hot Spots. Any other networks that you have used, such as a retail store WiFi, will continue to auto connect. That said, it appears that the issue has been resolved as @jimbi1 stated in his post earlier today. In fact, the option to disable Auto-Connect to Xfinity Hot Spots is no longer available after the latest Android update... at least I can't find it.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

My family pays per gig for mobile data and our bill for January 2020 was nearly double previous months, because of this issue. This is a terrible bug in the software or a scheme to milk more money out of customers. Either way, if this is not remedied, with the amount of money being taken from the huge numbers of customers, this could be a basis for a class-action lawsuit.

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

Some of us have found that calling Xfinity to complain about it gets a rebate on the data bill.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for that tip--I have also successfully gotten a refund for the previous month. However, left unaddressed, this still leaves them exposed to a lawsuit because the burden of solving the problem should be on Xfinity, not each individual customer.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Bumping this to get an official response from Xfinity. Still an issue after uninstalling the Xfinity wifi settings app on 2 Galaxy S10 phones, which solved the issue for about 1 day, then returned after the app reinstalled itself without prompting. This is a BIG problem for pay-per-gig plans and is more than suspicious. It's Xfinity's app, so it's Xfinity's problem. Please respond promptly.

Contributor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

An official response from Xfinity?  ROFL.

Do you see any official response anywhere in this thread, which is now almost 6 months old?

Incidentally - I'm not too familiar with this forum software, but I think it says "SOLVED" in the heading - so why would they even look?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here