NEWcam30era's profile

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

Sunday, December 1st, 2019 5:00 AM

Closed

Voicemail problem on factory unlocked Note 10+

I recently purchased a Samsung factory unlocked (U1) Note 10+ to replace my XM S10+.  It's working just fine with the original SIM that I swapped over from my XM S10+.  VoLTE, WiFi calling, everything works.  Except....  Voicemail notifications.  None.  Zip, zero, nada.

The XM visual voicemail app does not work (nor on any XM purchased Note 10)

"the newest Samsung phones (Note10 included) are not compatible with the Xfinity Visual Voicemail app and moving forward, all new phones will be using the provided voicemail app (not the xfinity visual voicemail app) in which case on the note10 is audio only".

With the Samsung default voicemail app, I don't receive any notification that I have a voicemail message.  And if I open the app, it always says "no new voicemails".  But if I touch the "check voicemail" button in the app, my new voicemail messages are there and I can listen to them.  I've enabled all permissions for the app, and enabled all relevant notification settings.

I suspect that the problem is not related to app notification issues, but rather related to the app accessing/checking my voicemail.  Since it always says "you have no new messages", whether there are messages or not.

All feedback/suggestions welcome.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

Summary:  Xfinity Mobile voicemail app will not work on Note 10/10+

Samsung native voicemail app will not "check in" with voicemail and always gives a false negative (you have no new messages, even when you have new messages).

Solution was very simple: download and install the app "Youmail".  Very easy to set up, and works flawlessly.

Thanks to all for their input.

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

Doesn't work on the Note 10/10+.  Upon opening the app, one gets the message, "This app is incompatible with your device.  Use the native app that came on your phone".

Thanks for the feedback.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I have a Note 9, keep in mind this is still running Android 9. I was having the same issue as you in that my native Samsung "Voicemail" app did not work. By calling the voicemail server I could listen to/delete messages, but in the app itself even with all permissions allowed, I didn't receive any messages or notifications.

At the moment the only workaround I got working was to manually download the Xfinity Mobile Voicemail app from a 3rd party site. If you attempt to download from the Google Play store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comcast.modesto.vvm.client) you'll likely meet a roadblock preventing you from downloading it that says "⚠️ This item isn't available on your carrier".

But APK Mirror is a trustworthy 3rd party app site that has several versions of the Xfinity Mobile Voicemail app: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/comcast/xfinity-mobile-voicemail/

With this app installed, I've regained the ability to see/play/delete voicemails individually including the voicemail-to-text transcription service.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Have you tried clearing the native Voicemail app data?

Steps: Long press the app icon, then select App info > Storage > Clear data

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

Yes. No dice. Thanks for the idea.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Well I'm stumped. The only thing I can think is it's related to the carrier firmware loaded on the Samsung factory unlocked version versus the Xfinity Mobile carrier locked version -- There is in fact a difference. Xfinity has their own firmware.

If that is the fact then you have 2 options:
1) Sell/trade your existing phone then get an Xfinity Mobile carrier locked phone from Comcast.

2) Flash the firmware on your existing device, one guide here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-note-10/how-to/n970u-n970u1-firmware-links-t3957705.

I've never flashed a phone and don't trust firmware not sourced over-the-air from my carrier, so take this 2nd option at your own risk if you're tech savvy.

Good luck. Before anything else try calling Xfinity Mobile customer service and ask for Tier 2.

New Poster

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Well if you already have the XM firmware and/or an XM carrier locked phone and it's still not working I don't think there's anything else that might work except contacting Tier 2. You might get lucky and get someone good at their job.

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

1st off, the XM voicemail app doesn't work on even an Xfinity Mobile purchased Note 10/10+.

2nd, I have Odin flashed the XM firmware on my device.  Doesn't make any difference.

I fully accept that the XM voicemail app isn't going to work on a Note 10/10+.  But I'm trying to understand, and fix, why the Samsung native voicemail app won't at least check in with voicemail and let me know when I have a new one.

Thanks for your suggestions so far.  Appreciate the effort.

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

4 years ago

@NEWcam30era wrote:

I recently purchased a Samsung factory unlocked (U1) Note 10+ to replace my XM S10+.  It's working just fine with the original SIM that I swapped over from my XM S10+.  VoLTE, WiFi calling, everything works.  Except....  Voicemail notifications.  None.  Zip, zero, nada.

The XM visual voicemail app does not work (nor on any XM purchased Note 10)

"the newest Samsung phones (Note10 included) are not compatible with the Xfinity Visual Voicemail app and moving forward, all new phones will be using the provided voicemail app (not the xfinity visual voicemail app) in which case on the note10 is audio only".

With the Samsung default voicemail app, I don't receive any notification that I have a voicemail message.  And if I open the app, it always says "no new voicemails".  But if I touch the "check voicemail" button in the app, my new voicemail messages are there and I can listen to them.  I've enabled all permissions for the app, and enabled all relevant notification settings.

I suspect that the problem is not related to app notification issues, but rather related to the app accessing/checking my voicemail.  Since it always says "you have no new messages", whether there are messages or not.

All feedback/suggestions welcome.

Hey NEWcam30era!

My 2 cents:

In my experience, voicemail app notifications are usually associated with a connection to cellular data. Not sure if you've tested this out via cellular data or wiFi.

The U1 isn't an XFINITY Mobile supported model so you might get a little push back from getting help with this via XFINITY Mobile support (since we don't work with this model).

If you can tinker with the APN settings, I would probably start there (especially if you're flashing firmware already).

You can also attempt to send a previously used voicemail app that you have downloaded in the past via google play store on a desktop/laptop.

Ken

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for feedback, Ken. Yes, I've tried both via cellular and Wifi data. No go either way.
Any recommendations on APN settings, or a source for suggested settings?
I've not tried resetting network settings yet. Because it's such a PITA for all the numerous bluetooth connections I have.
And I haven't pushed too hard yet for a new SIM card. I assume neither would prove fruitful.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

You sir, deserve a high five. Thank you! Not only does the app push voicemail notifications on a factory unlocked Note 10 (by samsung), it also transcribes the voicemails flawlessly.

I have yet to test the robocall feature, but if that works as well, than the app deserves a 10 out of 5 star rating.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same problem with my unlocked Note 10+.  My issues was that I originally got an iPhone to get the BYOD SIM and I put that in an unlocked S10+.  Voicemail wouldn't work there.  I used "Youmail" for a while and until they released Android BYOD. I then called support and after what seemed like hours, they were finally able to get voicemail working.  Fastforward to now and I have the same issues with my Note 10. The Xfinity voicemail app says "Your voicemail has moved" and directs me to use the native Samsung app. Ok, that's fine. When I open the Samsung voicemail app it prompts me to go through the setup process.  When it finishes, I have 3 voicemail messages from when tech support was trying to get voicemail working on my S10. That's all I have and all that I can get. I have no notifications and it will not download any new voicemails. I called tech support and they made a few changes and it still doesn't work. For the Xfinity voicemail app to tell me to use the pre-installed app and actually show the logo from the pre-installed voicemail tells me that someone at Xfinity mobile knows how to fix this. I do not want to have to use a 3rd party app to get voicemail. I have to manually dial *86 a couple of times a day to make sure I haven't missed any calls.

1 Attachment

Contributor

• 

115 Messages

4 years ago

I hope you find a solution.  Please post back here if you succeed.  But I wouldn't hold out much hope.  One of the XM techs posted this message on another thread a couple of months ago:

"the newest Samsung phones (Note 10+ included) are not compatible with the Xfinity Visual Voicemail app and moving forward, all new phones will be using the provided voicemail app (not the xfinity visual voicemail app) in which case on the note 10+ is audio only".

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

I'm not too concerned about the transcription part.  I would be happy to have just the voice part with the native app.  I tried to get help over on Reddit and have yet for anyone to respond. The rep I talked to on Friday said they would call back on Saturday to see if they had resolved my issue.  Not a word from them either. I guess that's what we get when we have "Inexpensive" service with a MVNO. I just wished that they could have a network setup like Tmobile where you just pop a SIM card in a device and things just work. I realize one is GSM and the other is CDMA but even with Verizon you can swap a SIM card and see the proper device in your device list.  Xfinity mobile shows the last authorized device in account details and shows unrecognized device on their end.  Basic features work but there are a lot of flags that have to be enabled to match the phone to get everything 100%. The problem is finding someone who knows what needs to be checked.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here