tyler889's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 7:00 AM

Closed

MMS sending and receiving issues

I switched from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity Mobile on 11/9/19. I brought my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S10 over to Xfinity. Since the moment I switched I have had issues with sending and receiving MMS and group text messages. The issue is when I have WiFi and Mobile data turned on. If I turn off WiFi the MMS will transmit. I did not have this issue when on Verizon Wireless. I talked to a Xfinity tech via chat and they said I should be able to have WiFi and Mobile data turned on at the same time and be able to send and receive MMS. He suggested I reset the network settings. I did this and I'm still having the same issue. I searched the forms and this appears to be an issue for others once they switched to Xfinity. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this issue?

Related post:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/MMS/td-p/3265469

@Comcast_Support 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

4 years ago

@bshclh 

What's the Android Version? That's under Abount Phone -> Software Information (on current phones this is typically "8", "9" or "10").

It's Android 10

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

4 years ago

FIXED ???

Just tried again to send an MMS while connected to wifi at home (Comcast/Xfinity ISP) and Mobile data and it work on both of my phones! Last update was on March 17th and I tried it on March 19 and back then I still had the issue. So guessing something changed on the Xfinity network to make this work again.

Contributor

• 

23 Messages

4 years ago

It's been working on our phones (Samsung A50s) for the past couple of weeks. Works with WiFi on and Data off, WiFi off and Data on, WiFi on and Data On.  Works at home and other places where WiFi is available. We use Textra.  Something has definitely changed recently.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Us too, We've spent hours diagnosing someone's issue. I just wish all the players would quit finger pointing and get together and figure out the problem and fix it.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@jalwhitman 

Agreed. I am trying to keep summaries current (so folks don't have to read 2 full pages of posts here, and under another message thread as well). So you device just started working recently too? If so, can you pass on the Android version and device-type? Also, has MMS over WiFi with mobile-data OFF been not working regardless of the WiFi AP you are connected to?

Thanks much!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks.  Well, text sort of started working.  We updated to Google text and it appears to be better than messages+.   We still have to disable wifi to send and recieve texts. 

On various help interactions with Xfininity, Samsung, Google search, etc, we've been told a number of times and in various ways to clear cashe, clear data, restart the phone, reset the phone, run in safe mode, turn off wifi, go outside closer to a cell tower, etc, etc. All of which did not permantly fix the issue of texts not receiving or sending and getting stuck in download or sending.

The most relible way I've found so far is to disable wifi and turn it back on when I need it which is an inconvient pain.

Phones are both S9 with V10 android, wifi is xfinity with our owned Motorolla modem, cell cervice is close and stable, and we always install the latest updates.

We just wish all the players would get together, quit finger pointing, figure it out, and fix texts not sending or recieving.

Thanks for all the help.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

It's still "broke" (can't send or receive MMS over WiFi when mobile-data is OFF) for me on my S9+, Andriod 10, using Verizon Message+ as the texting app.

It's also still not "broke" on my S8, Andoid 9 and using Verizon Message+ at the texting app.

My gut, and a good-bit of the reports, say it will take a patch to Andoid 10 or full update to Andoid 11 to fix this.

Have learned something interesting through testing though. On my S9+, that's "broke", I:

• Went into 99% of the apps on my phone and turned off it using background moble-data (yea, this take a while do do) and only run apps that use date when I'm connected to WiFi or for some reason really "have to".
  • I downloaded and regularely update a big Google map (in the Google maps App) to my phone when I'm at home and on WiFi (so I don't need mobile-data to use Google maps). I learned of this option/capability when I still had an S3 and I had-to run from stored map or it would kill the battery even when I had power connected to the phone.
  • I have Google Maps set to use WiFi, so when I'm out it uses my localy stored map and when I update the map I have downloaded (close to the entire state and only a drop in the bucket of the total storage I have available).
  • I've had moble-data turned ON for over a month, and plan to leave it on.

Net-net:

I didn't use over 1 Gig of data. So I'm still on the shared, buy the gig, 1-gig plan with Xfinity. Saving a boatload of $$ over most other plans out there. It was a small adjustment to "think about" when I choose to run an app that uses data. But is no big deal now.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Greetings all,

I hope this helps. I had the same issue as described and finally think I've discovered the fix.

Settings>connections>mobile networks >network mode>LTE/CDMA

I prefer to use chomp as my text/mms service but tried Verizon messages, textea, yaata and messages. All work with wifi on or off.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

deucedeuce2000

This could be huge. Just to we have this....

My current setting under Settings>connections>mobile networks >network mode>LTE/CDMA is GLOBAL. Are you saying change from GLOBAL to LTE/CDMA ?

Also, with that setting changed, are you saying MMS works over WiFi (when connected to a WiFi AP) works consistently with mobile-date OFF , and what version of Android is your device on?

Thanks much!

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

We live in an area with no cell coverage, so wifi calling is critical.  To preserve battery power, we run our phones in Airplane mode, using only wifi for everything.  As of about 2 weeks ago, texting with photos stopped working.  Note it had been working just fine, prior.  My wife has a Galaxy s10e and I have a Galaxy s9.  My phone shows that the last update was done on March 23, but I was able to text with pictures over wifi until April 5th.  Now, nothing.  I chatted with XfinityMobile and they suggested doing a network reset on the phone.  Has this worked for anyone?  Any other suggestions?  I think something was changed on the Xfinity backend to break this.  Why would both phones stop working at the same time?

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@bwstrauss 

That is weird that it just started happening for you. There are some variations of when not being able to send MMS over WiFi when moble-data is OFF (in your case WiFi calling too) started. But one common denominator seems to be devices being on Android 10. Yes, it "looks bad" because Xfinity might benefit financially from this problem, but not ready to blame them as doing something, at least not on purpose. 

In my case it's MMS over WiFi not working when mobile-data is OFF. But have learned over the past month that with just a little forethought, I still keep the cellular data usage under 1-Gig (with 2 phones even). 

A whole lot of people are waiting for some kind of update/patch that fixes the problem.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

@bschlh yes, change from "global" to LTE/CDMA. I just tried this setting yesterday and have had zero problems with Wi-Fi on or off. I tested sending and receiving mms messages (pictures and gifs) and have had 100% success in the 24 hours since the change.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Been with xfinity mobile for over a year after switching from Verizon. I have had multiple issues with my iPhone XR. Random dropped calls in areas with full service. The major issues I have had is at home with WIFI. I have been on the phone with everyone. I live in a remote place with very little cell service. I totally rely on WiFi when I’m at home. Since day ONE WiFi calling fails every time. A lot of the time I don’t even get phone calls. And when I leave the house and go into town I get texts and voicemails from people that I didn’t receive. When making phone calls from the house they either drop or cut out for no reason. Even when next to the gateway. I also can’t send or receive MMS unless it’s thru iMessage. My wife is home alone alight and luckily didn’t buy a new phone so we switched her back to Verizon where she has NO issues. I am stuck paying for this stupid phone so I can leave and go back to Verizon. I don’t know how a company so big can be so stupid. After the last update. I will say the WiFi calling is working better. Not perfect. I hope xfinity gets there butts in gear before they lose even more customers.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@bwstrauss Wow. Changing from "global" to LTE/CDMA fixed the problem of not being able to send MMS over WiFi when mobile-data is OFF for you?

You're right, makes no sense. Let us know if that is what it fixed, and if so, what version of Android you're on and what hardware platform (S9, S9+, etc.) because I tried that on my S9+, that's running Android 10 (even though it made no sense, it was worth a try) and it did not fix the problem of not being able to send MMS over WiFi when mobile-data is OFF.

However, I did take another poster's suggestion and:

Turned mobile data ON (so the MMS over WiFi works now).

Configured every app that I didn't want using moble-data in the background (most everything except things I wanted alerts from like Amazon) such that using moble-data in the background was OFF (this done through the main configuration "gear", then have to do it for every...single...application)

At the end of the month (for usage) I was still under 1 Gig!

Sending pictures via MMS is only 5-6 Meg per picture, I also have Google Maps, and every other app with this ability, set to only use WiFi and I download a BIG google map local to my S9+ every once in a while while connected to WiFi

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

I tried changing from "global" to LTE/CDMA., even though it makes no sense.  MMS picture sending is working on both of our phones (S9 and S10e), now, even when in Airplane Mode with wifi on (celluar is off, so no cellular data is possible).  May try to turn Global back on after the system upgrade this morning, just to isolate that the issue is properly identified.  Afraid to break things, though!  😏

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here