tyler889's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, November 12th, 2019 7:00 AM

Closed

MMS sending and receiving issues

I switched from Verizon Wireless to Xfinity Mobile on 11/9/19. I brought my unlocked Samsung Galaxy S10 over to Xfinity. Since the moment I switched I have had issues with sending and receiving MMS and group text messages. The issue is when I have WiFi and Mobile data turned on. If I turn off WiFi the MMS will transmit. I did not have this issue when on Verizon Wireless. I talked to a Xfinity tech via chat and they said I should be able to have WiFi and Mobile data turned on at the same time and be able to send and receive MMS. He suggested I reset the network settings. I did this and I'm still having the same issue. I searched the forms and this appears to be an issue for others once they switched to Xfinity. Is there anything that can be done to resolve this issue?

Related post:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/MMS/td-p/3265469

@Comcast_Support 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Well, it's now the 22nd of MARCH. A full month since this post and I see no resolution for this. I am STILL limited to sending only text and racking up nice hefty fees to increase Xfinity's income. Sadly I'm stuck with a 2 year contract or I'd be gone already.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@Roheid wrote:
Well, it's now the 22nd of MARCH. A full month since this post and I see no resolution for this. I am STILL limited to sending only text and racking up nice hefty fees to increase Xfinity's income. Sadly I'm stuck with a 2 year contract or I'd be gone already.

One thing I did, that a prefious poster mentioned, was go in and disabled mobile-date (Allow background data usage) for every...single..app (yea, there are a LOT) accept my texting app (I personally use Verizon Message+) and JUST a couple of others I want alerts from, so apps are not using mobile-data unless I actually OPEN/RUN them. It's tedious to go through every app and do that. But, I'll know in a month how much data I actually use with most of the apps set that way.

Contributor

• 

40 Messages

4 years ago

@bshclh wrote:

@bob-mmk wrote:

Received the latest samsun patch the other day and still cannot send MMS while connected to Internet when connected to the Xfinity/Comast Interet. At my vacation home which has Spectrum as the Internet provider it works just fine. I use the same modem and router at both locations.

That is odd. Should have nothing to do with what cable-modem and/or router you're connected to. What rev of Android are you on now (after the patch)?

Android Security Patch March 1, 2020

Build QP1A.190711.020.G973USQS3CTB5

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@bob-mmk wrote:

@bshclh wrote:

@bob-mmk wrote:

Received the latest samsun patch the other day and still cannot send MMS while connected to Internet when connected to the Xfinity/Comast Interet. At my vacation home which has Spectrum as the Internet provider it works just fine. I use the same modem and router at both locations.

That is odd. Should have nothing to do with what cable-modem and/or router you're connected to. What rev of Android are you on now (after the patch)?

Android Security Patch March 1, 2020

Build QP1A.190711.020.G973USQS3CTB5

Thanks much for passing on the patch. That is the first I've heard of that patch.

What's the Android Version? That's under Abount Phone -> Software Information (on current phones this is typically "8", "9" or "10").

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Okay... after reading through this...

My girlfriend has an S8 running Android 9.0.  She was able to send pictures via wifi until about 3 months ago.  Took it to an Xfinity store.  They said to reset network settings, which fixed it for about 2 days.  Resetting network settings would sometimes fix if after that, but this wasn't a reliable fix.  So... talked to a Customer Service rep today who stated she had to be using Cellular data and not on wifi to send pictures via MMS which confused me, since she and I are on the same wifi network and I could send pictures just fine...

Well, my phone is a Motorola moto e5 play running Android 8.0, which probably explains why mine works when sending photos via MMS and wifi and hers does not.  So... what happened in the Android updates after 8.0 (Oreo) that messed this up specifically with the Xfinity Mobile service?

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@theohall wrote:

Okay... after reading through this...

My girlfriend has an S8 running Android 9.0.  She was able to send pictures via wifi until about 3 months ago.  Took it to an Xfinity store.  They said to reset network settings, which fixed it for about 2 days.  Resetting network settings would sometimes fix if after that, but this wasn't a reliable fix.  So... talked to a Customer Service rep today who stated she had to be using Cellular data and not on wifi to send pictures via MMS which confused me, since she and I are on the same wifi network and I could send pictures just fine...

Well, my phone is a Motorola moto e5 play running Android 8.0, which probably explains why mine works when sending photos via MMS and wifi and hers does not.  So... what happened in the Android updates after 8.0 (Oreo) that messed this up specifically with the Xfinity Mobile service?

Trying to add some helpful data below. I'm soooo not an employee of Comcast. But I am Level-2 network (LAN/WAN not Cellular) support for a different company. Apologies for the length.

Having followed this thread for a while, I'm completely convinced that depending on the support rep you're talking to, you'll get different recommendations on how to be able to send MMS (I.E.-Pictures and group text messages) over WiFi, if it's not working what might fix it (including but not limited to the "there is a patch and/or new rev of Android in the works that will fix it", or "you have to send MMS over the cellular network-I.E.-mobile-data <- this is B.S. by the way since it works find on one of my phones that is on Xfinity-mobile too). So be very careful trusting what a support rep tells you as Gospel.

@theohall For your situation I'd recommend using Verizon Message+ as your text messaging App (if you have not tried that already). I have an S8 on Android 9 and some time ago, that's what I needed to do to be able to send MMS over WiFi (which is still working). I also have an S9 on Android 10 that will NOT sent MMS over WiFi (even with Verizon Message+ as the texting App).

On my S8 (Android 9), I just allowed the March 1, 2020 Andoid Security Patch update to be installed and I'm still able to send MMS over WiFi with mobile-date off!

On my S9: MMS over WiFi had been working for over a year (but it came with Verizon Message+ as the text messaging App...hummm), until an update from Android 9 to Android 10 this Feb of 2020.

In my situation, there is enough evidence for me to be "comfy" with some version of Android 9 requiring Verison Message+ to send MMS over WiFi. But have yet to find a way to send MMS over WiFi on Android 10 (on my S9). "Some people" LOL...are hopful that a new rev of Android (a patch or a update to Android 11, don't know) will fix the problem (yes, hands-down this is a "problem", something "broken", not a "feature" or "limitation" to me).

Net-net -

• If you're on Android 9, try using Verizon Message + as your default text messaging App and cross your fingers (it actually is a nice App in and of itself).
  • If you're on Andoid 10 and have a fix/app that works, please pass it on. Else, cross your fingers, toes and everything else you can.

Additional Data for Reference on MMS over WiFi not working

I have two phones

Samsung s9+:

• Problem Started: Feb of 2020 after an Android OS update, and still exists
  • Text Messaging App: It came with Verizon Message+ as texting app when purchased a year (??) ago from Xfinity-mobile and worked with it until Feb of 2020 (as mentioned in above bullet)
  • WiFi APs: Problem exists with all WiFi APs. I use non-Xfinity, Netgear router/APs at home and have tested when connected to 2.4gig WiFi & 5gig WiFi of a LOT of APs.
  • Current Adroid Version: Android 10

Samsung s8:

• Problem Status: Problem appeared a year ago (??) after an OS update (forget the before and after Android versions) and changing from the default text messaging app to Version Message+ cleared up the problem regardless of the WiFi A.P. I'm connected to.
  • Text Messaging App: Currently Verizon Message+ app. Came with some other default app when purchased about 3 years ago from Xfinity-mobile.
  • WiFi APs: NO problems (MMS over WiFi works) with all WiFi APs. I use non-Xfinity, Netgear router/APs at home and have tested when connected to 2.4gig WiFi & 5gig WiFi of a LOT of different APs when away from home (including the auto-connect Xfinity WiFi A.P.s in the area)
  • Current Adroid Version: Android 9 with the March 1, 2020 Android Secuity Patch

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have been dealing with this problem off and on for a month now.

Here's what I got, Samsung Note 8 running Android 9.

I loaded google messages and it works perfect with WiFi on.

Not sure if this will help, but it can't hurt.

Be safe people..........

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@Finallygot1 wrote:

I have been dealing with this problem off and on for a month now.

Here's what I got, Samsung Note 8 running Android 9.

I loaded google messages and it works perfect with WiFi on.

Not sure if this will help, but it can't hurt.

Be safe people..........

Thank you much! I have Google Messages downloaded but not installed yet because, so far, Verizon Message+ has been working since I change to it. I've heard Google Messages is NICE, but since everything is working right now, don't want to change to using it.

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

4 years ago

I've had a resurgence of this issue over the last few days, MMS coming in hours or days later or coming in as not downloaded... not sure what's going on but restarting the phone doesn't help so I presume it's a network issue given the inconsistent nature.

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

4 years ago

Retry this morning if possible, be sure handset is updated to latest OS & whatever messaging app you use, and read latest in every recent related thread for cool new handset-specific suggestions for settings?

I am seeing solid evidence of huge improvements with MMS over wifi , as of today April 1, not joking, not april fooling.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi All -

I have a Note 10+. I came over to Xfinity from Verizon about seven months ago.  Would occasionally have issues with MMS here and there, but nothing too serious. 

Over the last three or four days, I noticed messages coming in batches hours after people had sent them. And then, I was unable to send any MMS out. Over the last couple of days, none of my messages were going out, SMS or MMS. They would just time out. 

I had been using Textra, so I emailed them for help because I thought it might be a problem with the App. They said it was an Xfinity issue with the Wifi. However, I started using Google Messages and things have been fine. For what it's worth, it's been working for me. I prefer Textra, but not if it's non-functional. 

So, I'm hoping I don't jinx myself, but Google Messages has been working for me. Both on wifi and off. I'm at work right now and I'm not having any issues with MMS, just sent a few messages a bit ago. Whereas with Textra, the messages time out. 

Maybe it'll work for some of you too. Good luck!

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

4 years ago

I ended up reaching out to Xfinity Mobile support via SMS this morning, and per their suggestion performed a network reset in my phone settings which immediately fixed my issue. Before that I was still unable to download all my old MMSes this morning.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@commodore_dude                             

Cool. What version of Android are you running and Is the network reset something that you could easily list the steps for?

It's been my experience all previously-send MMS's are lost. As opposed to SMS that is queued up until you receive them. Just my experience though.

Contributor

• 

92 Messages

4 years ago

Sure! I'm on Android 10 with a Pixel 2, so your mileage may vary. Also note that these steps will lose you every stored wifi network and bluetooth pairing. My wifi calling setting also reset to off, I realized a couple of days later.

Settings > System > Advanced > Reset Options > Reset Wi-Fi-, mobile & Bluetooth... you may then need to enter your PIN etc to confirm

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

@commodore_dude 

Thank you much! Adroid 10 seems to be the, consistent, "sick puppy".

I'll give that a try on my S9+ that's on Android 10 that's using Verizon Message+ as the texting app

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here