Ima's profile

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

Sunday, February 2nd, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

Issues with MMS over WiFi for YEARS

I just switched to xfinity Mobile on December 6, 2019.  At that time, I asked if my phone, an unlocked Samsung S9+ was fully compatible with all services, and I was assured that it was.

I have noticed that MMS messages sent while Wi-Fi is enabled will not send.  The phone tries to send for over 5 minutes before it fails.  When I turn Wi-Fi OFF, the message sends immediately.

• First, I contacted xfinity support via Chat.  "John" told me that Android 10 was required to resolve the problem.  Later he admitted that the problem is with the xfinity mobile service.  He directed me to call Customer Care at (888) 936 4968.
  • I spoke with someone at Customer care who spent a significant amount of time with me, trying various options, all to no avail.  She spoke with a number of technicians who all advised her that this problem occurred when Android Pie was rolled out. (Android Pie was rolled out on August 6, 2018, or 545 days ago!)
  • I found that iPhone users are experiencing the same problem, since at least December 18, 2018, according to a thread I found on this forum.
  • I was told that xfinity is aware of this problem, but there is no estimated date for a solution.
  • Since there is a temporary "work-around", inconvenient as it may be (disabling Wi-Fi before sending an MMS message), I do not feel that this is a major issue.  However:
  • I specified that I believe that a credit should be applied to my bill for reduced service until the problem is resolved.
  • I requested a credit of $2 per month for  the next year.  
  • I was told that a monthly credit could not be applied, but I was given a one-time credit of $30.
  • I specified that it the problem persisted on Feb 01, 2021, I will request another credit

The credit I requested is inconsequential to me.  It is not about the money.  I want it to send a signal to xfinity that there is a problem with their service that must be corrected.  I encourage anyone who reads this and experiences the same issue to call customer care at (888) 936 4968 and request the same thing.

Please be certain to tell them that this request is for the long-time bug with their mobile phone MMS service over WiFi.  Perhaps, if enough of us do so, they will prioritize the fix with  their software.

Thank you.

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

Still very interested in the phone DaveO3 is using is all. Having a bit different of a problem, but don't want to hijack the thread.

FYI (not related to DaveO3's initial problem description) changing to use Verizon's "Message+" app, available via Google Play, has solved at least one person's problem (Xfinity-moble customer) of not being able to send MMS when moble-data is turned OFF and the phone is connected to WiFi. Your mileage may vary on if that addresses a problem

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I recently experienced the same issue. It's a scam to get customers to use more data, so we have to pay more. I never had this issue with Verizon.

Please file complaints with the FCC and your local Attorney General!

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

Mine is an S9+

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

Well, it WAS working...  until the February security update.  Now it's broken again.  *sigh*

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

Mine is a S9+ and since the forced update to Android 10 Feb of 2020, MMS over WiFi with mobile-data turned OFF doesn't work. I have an S8 that's on Andoid 9. So seems to be a trend of the Android 10 OS.

I started a thread on that - https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/MMS-over-WiFi-Not-Working-Since-Forced-Update-on-2-9-2020/td-p/3310843

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

IFTTT (If this then that) allows scripting services.  There are some scripts that turn off cellular service when I connect to WiFi, but the existing scripts also turn off the ringer.  I am going to see if I can create my own script to do this, and a second one to turn it back on when I disconnect.  If it works, I will post a link.  There are also scripts that do the same for a specific area.

It's a shame that I even have to worry about this, but I guess that's the price I pay for cheap service.  This is a good example of "you get what you pay for."  

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

I can say this: 

I purchased a Samsung A50 through Xfinity, immediately ran into the MMS messages issue with no support from Xfinity.

Pulled the sim card and put it into my Pixel 2 XL and now a Pixel 3a XL and it works perfectly. No problems at all with messages using Google Messages or any other messages app.

So I've basically got a worthless phone with the A50. I've never had an experience where leaving my WiFi turned on all the time (which I've done for years) blocks downloads of MMS.

Just a collassal failure of the service, and as both my son and wife come over to a family plan we can't consider Xfinity Mobile unfortunately. Otherwise I'm very happy with the service and the price.

- mike

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

FYI - I have run texts with incoming MMS (group text messages and MMS attachments like pictures) and when in the "MMS not working over WiFi when mobile-data is OFF state", incomming MMS is LOST. As opposed to situations like a SMS text message being sent when you phone is off or have no cell-service that queue up and are received when you regain cell service .

Of course your mileage may vary. I have seen some "hope" that the next Android update might resolve the issue. We'll see on that.

New Poster

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Have been having this issue for months. Just got another update last night. It didnt fix anything. I'm have a S9 with Android 10.

In searching for a solution, I assumed it was a 3rd party messaging app causing the issue, and I tried Signal, the Samsung sms app, Verizon Message + (which is very invasive), and now use the Google Messages sms app. None of these can send/receive mms when on a wifi connection.

Given that the Xfinity mobile service is designed to prefer and in many case force wifi connection - see here (https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/Cannot-stop-phone-from-auto-reconnecting-the-XFINITY-wifi/m-p/3313010#M23396) - it is shocking this is a problem at all.

This was never a problem on Verizon because while on wifi, mobile never disconnects like it does for Xfinity. My friends using Xfinity for IOS dont have this problem though.

It would be nice if Comcast could at least let us know this is being worked on, but cricket's.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

4 years ago

I have the same issues and received the same update last night on my S8.  I tested it and it didn't solve anything.  I can turn wifi completely off and send mms over cellular but I get no cellular service where I live.  1 bar at most.  My wife's phone works fine, same service, same data plan, same location.  It's a motorola.  Frustrating!

Contributor

• 

31 Messages

4 years ago

Having followed this thread for a while, I'm completely convinced that depending on the support rep you're talking to, you'll get different recommendations on how to be able to send MMS  over WiFi, if it's not working what might fix it (including but not limited to the "there is a patch and/or new rev of Android in the works that will fix it", or "you have to send MMS over the cellular network-I.E.-mobile-data <- this is B.S. IMHO by the way, since it works fine on one of my phones). So be very careful trusting what a support rep tells you as Gospel.

On my S8 (Android 9), I just allowed the March 1, 2020 Andoid Security Patch update to be installed and I'm still able to send MMS over WiFi with mobile-date off! Getting MMS over WiFi to work, for my s8, required changing my default text messaging App to Verizon Message+

On my S9: MMS over WiFi had been working for over a year (but it came with Verizon Message+ as the text messaging App...hummm). Until an update from Android 9 to Android 10 this Feb of 2020.

In my situation, there is enough evidence for me to be "comfy" with some version of Android 9 requiring Verison Message+ to send MMS over WiFi. But have yet to find a way to send MMS over WiFi on Android 10 (on my S9). "Some people" LOL...are hopful that a new rev of Android (a patch or a update to Android 11, don't know) will fix the problem (yes, hands-down this is a "problem", something "broken", not a "feature" or "limitation" to me).

Net-net -

• If you're on Android 9, try using Verizon Message + as your default text messaging App and cross your fingers (it actually is a nice App in and of itself).
  • If you're on Andoid 10 and have a fix/app that works, please pass it on. Else, cross your fingers, toes and everything else you can.

Additional Data for Reference on MMS over WiFi not working

I have two phones

Samsung s9+:

• Problem Started: Feb of 2020 after an Android OS update, and still exists
  • Text Messaging App: It came with Verizon Message+ as texting app when purchased a year (??) ago from Xfinity-mobile and worked with it until Feb of 2020 (as mentioned in above bullet)
  • WiFi APs: Problem exists with all WiFi APs. I use non-Xfinity, Netgear router/APs at home and have tested when connected to 2.4gig WiFi & 5gig WiFi of a LOT of APs.
  • Current Adroid Version: Android 10

Samsung s8:

• Problem Status: Problem appeared a year ago (??) after an OS update (forget the before and after Android versions) and changing from the default text messaging app to Version Message+ cleared up the problem regardless of the WiFi A.P. I'm connected to.
  • Text Messaging App: Currently Verizon Message+ app. Came with some other default app when purchased about 3 years ago from Xfinity-mobile.
  • WiFi APs: NO problems (MMS over WiFi works) with all WiFi APs. I use non-Xfinity, Netgear router/APs at home and have tested when connected to 2.4gig WiFi & 5gig WiFi of a LOT of different APs when away from home (including the auto-connect Xfinity WiFi A.P.s in the area)
  • Current Adroid Version: Android 9 with the March 1, 2020 Android Secuity Patch

Contributor

• 

179 Messages

4 years ago

Please retry!   I hope you will see similar major improvements like I do today.   Hooray to the software developers.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

interesting

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Did you have to set apn or whatever it is

Contributor

• 

45 Messages

4 years ago

Still occurring with latest updates.  Comcast does not care.  I think I am going to change carriers.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here