Community Forum

Cell signal boosters supported, yes or no?

Frequent Visitor

Cell signal boosters supported, yes or no?

My issues with the wi-fi calling problems have been previously noted multiple times in this forum (as have MANY others).  My problem is that due to TechShield radiant barrier installed on my roof  there is very little cell signal in the house even though the signal outside is plenty strong.  This necessitates the use of wi-fi in order to make and receive calls.  This was not an issue with previous carriers (ATT & T-Mobile).  It is an issue with XM as they have confirmed back to me that in order for wi-fi calling to be effective you must be able to have a "decent" cell signal working adjacent with your wi-fi signal.  Well, obviously if I had a decent in-house signal I would not need wi-fi assistance.  So, I am in a Catch 22 situation.

My question to the forum (and Comcast Team) is will an exterior antenna signal booster work with XM?  I have seen a couple of responses from Comcast Support that states XM does not support cell signal boosters, however, there are numerous websites that state clearly most all of them will support it.  These are mfg's. such as SureCall, Weboost and many others.  Verizon clearly states that they support them and XM is using their network.

So, anyone out there had the same issues with wi-fi and installed a signal booster?  If so, did it work?  How about a response back from the Comcast Support Team?

New Poster

Re: Cell signal boosters supported, yes or no?

I have the same question.  I just switched from Verizon to Xfinity.  I have been using a Samsung 4G LTE Network Extender for the past 3 years.  I has given me 5 bars inside my home.  However, now that I have switched, it continues to try to connect to Verizon and does not work.  I now occasionally have 1 bar inside my home.   If I am still using all of Verizon's network, why isn't this working?

Contributor

Here's the deal:  4G LTE Samsung (for Verizon) Network Extenders  do work for XM phones, however, XM will not or cannot "authorize/activate" the device, consequently, it will not function.  Strange, given XM operates on the Verizon system?

HOWEVER,  if you have a friend with a Verizon cell plan, they can activate your device as a device of their own. Invite them over for dinner and tell them to bring their Verizon log-on credentials . Once they log into their Verizon account, easy to activate the device. And, strictly speaking, your friend wants decent cell service while at your house so why not have an active Extender for their use  ?

New Poster

Thank you..  Smiley Happy Smiley Happy