samathip's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Friday, January 17th, 2020 10:00 AM

Closed

how to power off xfinity flex box

I received a new xfinity flex box. Finished setup and everything is working fine. Its remote is paired only with xfinity flex box and not controlling any other device including TV. When I press power button on the flex remote, it does not power off the flex box. If I try "power off" voice command, I see an error message saying that I can not control the TV yet. I am not expecting the remote to control the TV as I have not paired. I was expecting the flex box to power off but does not. Remote's all other operations/button work fine. One of the online chat support did the usual troubleshooting, reset etc and told me to go to store and get a new remote. I did that. Its the same even with new remote. Then another chat support went through the same troubleshooting steps and transferred to his boss. Then this boss did the same troubleshooting steps and gave up !! he said he has to send a technicial to home. I have no time to wait for the technician who probably will give me a 3 hour window on a working day for this small thing. Before I go to the store and exchange the box to a new one, I wanted to post here and see if anybody knows what's going on. It may be something silly on my side but can't figure out so far.

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

If the flex box is like the X1 boxes, they don’t turn off. Just go to sleep

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

They probably haven’t seen one and not every employee lives in a Comcast footprint.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

That's probably what it is. However, xfinity support staff did not know 🙂

Thanks.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

To my knowledge the Flex box does not power down

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Ditto ... I just got my Flex box & remote and discovered the same problem.  Checked the Flex FAQs & found nothing that describled the Flex box's operations.  Contacted customer support.  The agent was sure that the Flex box does turn off via the remote and was sure that I had a defective remote.  The agent also told me the obvious that I could unplug the box to power it down.  I'd already done out of frustration. 

I told the agent that it looks like the box is designed to always remain on.  I also told the agent that the power buttom was probably intended to be used when paired with the TV to turn the TV on/off.   The brochure that came with the remote does not describe the function of the remote's power button.

It seems to me that having the Flex box always powered up and connected to Xfinity via the internet will up my data usage, even if its minimal.

Also and even though the remote's voice feature is supposed to manual (ie. works only when you press the voice control button), I noticed that the voice control button light routinely flashes as if it was actively listening for a command.

Thanks to the ex-Comcast employee for his insight.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

moved entire thread to X1 (set top box Flex related) post.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

4 years ago

Upping my data usage is my concern also, with the screen on "in background" continuously.
Just got my Flex today...not impressed...yet.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@MsFrugaLady wrote:
Upping my data usage is my concern also, with the screen on "in background" continuously.
Just got my Flex today...not impressed...yet.

you could put in a power strip or alexa/google plug switch to turn it off and on at will. good point on flex.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

When everything's working right , if you use the voice button and say "Device Settings" then go to "Power Preferences" ... from there you can go to power down or restart your box. It's the exact same way that the regular cable boxes does. The Voice doesn't let you go straight to "power preferences". But then again, if you're just resetting it you can always unplug it, wait for 10 seconds and plug it back in and it will start back up and reboot.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

It uses huge amount of data on the background, doing who knows what. Used 12 GB the first night i left it on. Now it is perma off, and i start it only when needed, which is becoming never.

i will return it soon probably, would rather use roku instead.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

You can say "Sleep Now" on the voice remote to take you to the Power Preferences menu.  From there, you can choose to put it to sleep.

Also, you can go through these menus:

Main Menu > Settings > Device Settings > Power Preferences.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just realized I have gone over my data limit 3 out of the last 4 months, which coincides with i got the flex box to use for "FREE".  last month i paid $50 in over charges 1gig and this month they increased my data to 1.2 gig but i still have data charges of $30 and counting. will putting it to sleep stop the data usage? 

Official Employee

• 

974 Messages

Hey there, @, thank you for taking the time to comment on our Xfinity Forums page. I am sorry to hear of your recent concerns regarding your data overages. We definitely want to help you out and look further into those concerns with you. If you can please make a new post of your issue so we may continue assisting you!

If you need assistance in creating a new post please review the following link: https://comca.st/3aWAFlN.

I no longer work for Comcast.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

My data has quadrupled on August and I have no changes in # of devices ( Flex Box, laptop, cellphone, NO Gaming)    Xfinity has been telling  me they escalated my issue to Security Level 3 for the past 12 Days. NO ONE has contacted me!! Security Level 2 mentioned high data usage at 4am. Rh Flex Box settings says updates are done at 4am-8am. Well there you go, the FLEX BOX uses a lot of data constantly and it doesn’t tuen off!!! I will have to start unplugging it every day. 

Xfinity Security Team Level 2 is super rude. They get upset because I call every day, and every single time I am told Level 3 will call me in 24 hours, but it’s 13 days later and I still haven’t gotten a call!  It’s September 1 and my data usage for 1 day is close to 80 GB And all I’ve done so far is outlook cell phone and streamed one movie!

Time to shop around as Xfinity Tech team is the worst!

This reply has been converted into a post
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here