Community Forum

Xfinity Flex / Panasonic TV Audio Issue

thomasm23
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Flex / Panasonic TV Audio Issue

So I just got the Xfinity Flex and was very excited to use it. I had plugged it into my TV's HDMI and outlet and it worked fine. I had no problem setting it up. I even set up the remote and had no problem. But as soon as I tried to watch anything there was no sound. From any apps or channels. These are the things i tried to fix it. I tried : Restarting the device, unplugging and replugging the device. checking the audio in the settings and trying literally everything it could only find one stereo and it said i was connected to it, checked bluetooth to see if it was connected to anything and there wasn't, when setting up the remote there were different options and i tried them all. and note, I could control the volume of the tv with the remote but no audio would come out still. Even with the remote there was an option i think that would let me try and find another audio through what type of tv i had, i had chosen panasonic and it tried searching for the "code" a few times but after about a hald an hour of that i gave up. by the way I have a Panasonic Viera if that helps

CCAndrew
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity Flex / Panasonic TV Audio Issue

Try reseating the HDMI cord or try another HDMI port on the TV or a different HDMI cord

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
RobertWy
Silver Problem Solver

I don't have Flex; did you read the FAQ?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/xfinity-flex-faqs

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
MNtundraRET
Expert

You might have chosen the: "HDMI to AVI" port on you television. That port does not support audio signal. Most early HD tv's have that port. It just requires connecting: a digital or optical cable to the boxes.

It is a way to get an extra HDMI port for passing HD and 5.1 audio.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
thomasm23
Frequent Visitor

Tried resetting the cord but nothing, and there’s only one HDMI port as far as I can tell
thomasm23
Frequent Visitor

I did, nothing there I didn’t already know
thomasm23
Frequent Visitor

I took a better look, the port says “HDMI AV IN” the only port that can fit an HDMI cable, is this a problem? Can I connect something to it to help?
MNtundraRET
Expert

@thomasm23 wrote:
I took a better look, the port says “HDMI AV IN” the only port that can fit an HDMI cable, is this a problem? Can I connect something to it to help?

You can use that port for HD video signals.

Just add a optical cable to connect between box and tv for Audio (5.1 or sterio).

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
thomasm23
Frequent Visitor

Where would I plug the Optical cord to? The flex only has a port for the power cord, a HDMI port, one that says input, and a Ethernet port. Same question for the tv side since it’s kinda old it only has one HDMI port and a few AV IN and Audio colorful circle port things
thomasm23
Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Flex / Panasonic TV audio issue (Updated)

reposting this because the last one lost momentum, the original post stated:
So I just got the Xfinity Flex and was very excited to use it. I had plugged it into my TV's HDMI and outlet and it worked fine. I had no problem setting it up. I even set up the remote and had no problem. But as soon as I tried to watch anything there was no sound. From any apps or channels. These are the things i tried to fix it. I tried : Restarting the device, unplugging and replugging the device. checking the audio in the settings and trying literally everything it could only find one stereo and it said i was connected to it, checked bluetooth to see if it was connected to anything and there wasn't, when setting up the remote there were different options and i tried them all. and note, I could control the volume of the tv with the remote but no audio would come out still. Even with the remote there was an option i think that would let me try and find another audio through what type of tv i had, i had chosen panasonic and it tried searching for the "code" a few times but after about a hald an hour of that i gave up. by the way I have a Panasonic Viera if that helps

Updated:
So after a few post from the last time the gist of it was that I have an old tv and was recommended an optical cord but then I asked where I would plug that optical cord to, my tv doesn’t have a space for that and neither does the flex box. Out of frustration I bought a Bluetooth speaker to get the audio but once I tried to connect it it wouldn’t show up on the screen to connect to (and I know it works because I tried connecting my Bluetooth earphones and it worked). This is getting frustrating. Oh and for a better idea my tv is a panasonic th-42pa60l, and the flex only has ports for for the hdmi cable, an “input” port, an Ethernet port, and the power cable. Please Help
Cjenlee_914
New Poster

Re: Xfinity Flex / Panasonic TV audio issue (Updated)

I'm having the same issue.
Rustyben
Expert

Updated:
So after a few post from the last time the gist of it was that I have an old tv and was recommended an optical cord but then I asked where I would plug that optical cord to, my tv doesn’t have a space for that and neither does the flex box. Out of frustration I bought a Bluetooth speaker to get the audio but once I tried to connect it it wouldn’t show up on the screen to connect to (and I know it works because I tried connecting my Bluetooth earphones and it worked). This is getting frustrating. Oh and for a better idea my tv is a panasonic th-42pa60l, and the flex only has ports for for the hdmi cable, an “input” port, an Ethernet port, and the power cable. Please Help

to you mean a glass cable TosLink? or coaxial audio (looks like an RCA stereo connector)?

flabbygums
New Poster

Hi,

I'm having the same issue; trying to get the sound to my receiver.  There is no optical out on the Flex box.  What's even odder, is the instruction manual to the Flex box says to use an optical cable and hook it up to your receiver. That's kind of hard with no audio out like the 3rd generation Apple TV has.  Is there more than one type of Flex box at Xfinity? I've called and told them the same issue and they said they would ship me one with an audio out. I got it yesterday and it has no audio out. Just the same exact version I had.

Rustyben
Expert

@flabbygums wrote:

Hi,

I'm having the same issue; trying to get the sound to my receiver.  There is no optical out on the Flex box.  What's even odder, is the instruction manual to the Flex box says to use an optical cable and hook it up to your receiver. That's kind of hard with no audio out like the 3rd generation Apple TV has.  Is there more than one type of Flex box at Xfinity? I've called and told them the same issue and they said they would ship me one with an audio out. I got it yesterday and it has no audio out. Just the same exact version I had.

do you have the set top box hooked up to the TV? and does the TV have a toslink or coaxial audio out jack to hook up to the receiver?