dbhost's profile

New Poster

• 

41 Messages

Wednesday, October 2nd, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

Xfinity Stream on FireTV / Fire Edition TV? Why no browser support in standard browsers?

So last night, I decided to have my bandwidth upped to the 1G service, and added the Xfinity Stream TV service as the agent we worked with said no problem it would work with Amazon Fire TV devices. This was a pretty bad misrepresentation as the Amazon Fire Devices that the Xfinity stream app is actually compatible with are the teeny tiny screens of the Fire and FireHD tablets, not any sort of FireTV, FireTV stick, etc... devices. 

Now I don't necessarily mind, but would certainly prefer an Alexa enabled, Fire TV (Fire Edition TV, FIre TV Stick etc...) compatible app, a sensible workaround would have been to just launch the online viewer from within a standard browser such as firefox. Which for some unknown reason, results in me being greeted with the message that my operating system is not supported. 

Why on earth would a well written website give half a tinkers darn what modern operating system is underneath the browser? Wasn't the whole point of the internet to share information in an operating system agnostic space? As long as I can support the current protocols I don't see any valid reason aside from corporate marketing (making it uncomfortable for customers to view content stremed on a TV instead of the over the cable stuff that I do NOT want to do). 

Is there going to be an update to the Xfinity Stream service / app that will allow us FireTV / or Android TV, or Linux users access to the service, or do we need to go to other services like Hulu, or Play Station Vue?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@dbhost wrote:

So last night, I decided to have my bandwidth upped to the 1G service, and added the Xfinity Stream TV service as the agent we worked with said no problem it would work with Amazon Fire TV devices. This was a pretty bad misrepresentation as the Amazon Fire Devices that the Xfinity stream app is actually compatible with are the teeny tiny screens of the Fire and FireHD tablets, not any sort of FireTV, FireTV stick, etc... devices. 

Now I don't necessarily mind, but would certainly prefer an Alexa enabled, Fire TV (Fire Edition TV, FIre TV Stick etc...) compatible app, a sensible workaround would have been to just launch the online viewer from within a standard browser such as firefox. Which for some unknown reason, results in me being greeted with the message that my operating system is not supported. 

Why on earth would a well written website give half a tinkers darn what modern operating system is underneath the browser? Wasn't the whole point of the internet to share information in an operating system agnostic space? As long as I can support the current protocols I don't see any valid reason aside from corporate marketing (making it uncomfortable for customers to view content stremed on a TV instead of the over the cable stuff that I do NOT want to do). 

Is there going to be an update to the Xfinity Stream service / app that will allow us FireTV / or Android TV, or Linux users access to the service, or do we need to go to other services like Hulu, or Play Station Vue?

comcast is adding some TV manufacturers to the stream beta app. The Roku also has a stream TV beta app (currently free) to use on big TVs. Time will tell if other than android devices other than smart phones/tablets.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

5 years ago

Don't you get a free X1 box with your service or is this something else?

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/flex?pc=1

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@lesmikesell wrote:

Don't you get a free X1 box with your service or is this something else?

https://www.xfinity.com/learn/flex?pc=1

flex is normally used as an OTT (over the top) box at $5/month that gives you ahardware (set top box) interface t various internet apps. if you choose to add cable service the box is upgradable to include cable channels, etc.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here