epurman99's profile

Contributor

• 

21 Messages

Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 12:00 PM

Closed

Watch espn app for android and comcast one of the providers

Kudos on comcast being Comcast becoming a provider giving us the ability to utilize the watch espn app to stream.  Works fine on ipod and ipod touch.  While the claim is that it works on android smartphones, it does not.

I called espn, who at first was incredulous, and then said yes, app from the android play store is not designed to work now, but is designed to work soon. 

When is soon and when will either the ads be updated to say it does not work on smartphones, or when will the app stream on android phones.

Thanks

epurman99

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

12 years ago

no luck with my phone (droid 2.2.2) but does work on my tablet.  maybe Santa will bring me a new phone for Christmas before the next NBA season is over,

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

My problem is that my tablet is not supported by the Google Play site, so that is not an option for me.

Other sites I've checked don't have the new 1.6.0 version, at least not yet.

What I need to do is side load the APK file, but Google Play appears to be the only site I have found that has this new version. I don't own any other Android devices, so downloading to a supported phone, then sideloading to my tablet is not an option. I need to download directly to my tablet. Anyone know of a URL that has the 1.6.0 APK and allows downloading without Google Play's restrictions?

This is very frustrating, as I successfully downloaded the older app, and got it to run for a trial period, which has now expired. For that reason, I'm confident the new version will work on my tablet, but I'm dead in the water unless I can find the new APK file.

Contributor

• 

38 Messages

12 years ago

Joe:

I want to relay something positive, since I know those posts are generally in the minority.  Last night, I stated that I had the 1.3.3 version on the WatchESPN app and that comcast was not listed in the dropdown of providers.

When I turned on the phone this morning, I found an update of the WatchESPN app, had to manually install; it was version 1.6, loaded it, logged in, signed into the app and tested all ESPN channels including ESPN 3.

Thanks very much....

epurman

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I called ESPN and they said the WatchESPN app is not compatible with Razr phones.After all this time waiting for this app to work for comcast and final get it and for it not to work is unacceptable.  I dont know  if this is a Comcast, ESPN, or Verizon problem  but if it's not fixed I will be dropping all three services. FIX IT.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

Well, the 1.3.3 version worked just fine on my Kindle Fire, but comcast was not one of the providers, so it stopped working after a free preview period.

Then this month, the new 1.6 version came out, and comcast is one of the providers!

I sideloaded it to the Fire, it installed, but when it launched, a pop up said it needs a newer version of Adobe Air, ok to download it now? So I said "download", and it redirected me to the Amazon apps store, and then told me that Adobe Air is not compatible with my device. So I thought, no problem, I'll get the app from another source and sideload that too. But when I tried to sideload it, a warning message was displayed, stating that this action will replace a system file on my device. Proceed? Well I'm not that brave! Sideloading 3rd party apps is one thing. Replacing a system file with no idea of the consequences seem like a recipe for turning my Fire into a brick.

I would not recommend anyone else try this, unless you know how to recover from any bad outcome.

However, If anyone has already done this on the Kindle Fire, please share your results, good or bad.

Contributor

• 

66 Messages

12 years ago

NO WATCHESPN SUPPORT FOR THE RAZR ? ESPN is telling you this yet Motorola makes the phone and we can watch streaming video from other apps and stations --- what makes the RAZR different ? I am assuming Razr MAxx is also not supported. 

This is SO frustrating !

Would Comcast take the lead on our behalf and work with the players involved for a resolution -- please ?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

12 years ago

I see that there is now a 1.6.1 version of the WatchESPN app.

This appears to have been released within the last couple of days.

Don't know if it fixes the RAZR issues, but thought others might like to know.

As for my Kindle Fire, still does not work because of Adobe Air compatibility issue.

Frequent Visitor

• 

14 Messages

12 years ago

I had the problem on my RAZR MAXX with the WatchESPN black screen of death.

Not sure if it was the 1.6.1 update or the Adobe Air 3.4.0.254 update, but now it works, yay!!!

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

WatchESPN is still going expired every 10 minutes when watching a game.  In checking the internet, Comcast users are the only ones complaining of this.  Interesting

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

12 years ago

I just wish Amazon would stop the bs and provide the latest version of adobe air so that I can use this app on my Kindle Fire

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

No doubt! Every single score on a game results in a tv timeout; when no commercial is fed during the break the "Expired" message results and then a shut down and restart of the app is required to get the video again. COME ON COMCAST/ESPN Techs. Figure this out.

Galaxy SIII (you know the most sold phone right now..)

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

Paying this much for Comcast, you would think that they would let you login on more than one device. It is Bowl Season afterall!

Contributor

• 

35 Messages

11 years ago

@kotwicki85: I just tested this on an iPhone, iPad, and MacBook at the same time and they worked. The streams that I used were not espn3 so I did have to select my ISP and authenticate. I made sure that I chose an ESPN, espn2 or espnU channel.
Not sure why u would be receiving an error about one device at a time.
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here