sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

I was very disappointed to find that I cannot access my subscription to HBO on my new Roku.  Comcast, get with the times and allow your over paying customers access the content they are paying for.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Why would Comcast not allow HBO Go and Showtime Anytime on any streaming device such as Roku?  Seems silly that you can get it on a computer but not on a TV.  I have a TV in a living area and only use it for streaming.  Don't want all the boxes and wires.  I have the Roku stick that is hidden behind the TV and therfore nothing shows.  Get with it Comcast.  We pay for the service....give it to us!

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

I cancelled my HBO awhile back. Wish I could cancel Comcast, but no other options in my area.

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

9 years ago

YET!!!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Sign me up as another customer who will ditch HBO via Comcast and buy direct when that is an option; something they could easily prevent by stopping to block.  Comcast won't be bothered until there is a financial reason to do so.  

Will customers do that anyways?  I probably wouldn't unless it is a big cost difference in the subscription; more convenient to have just one bill with everything.  But if it isn't an option, absofreakinglutely.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

We have been an Internet only subscriber for years. First through Adelphia, then Comcast. Our reception for broadcast TV via our roof antenna is excellent and we use a Channelmaster Plus DVR, Streaming Netflix, NetFlix DVDs, and Amazon Prime.  We never subscribed to TV though a cable company and our download speed is adequate for steaming video. (Performance Starter). Our over the air channels are perfect in high definition.

We became aware of the special that Comcast Offers called Internet Plus which included basic OTA channels, HBO and increased Internet speed that costs little more than what we are already paying, with an increase in cost after 12 months. We subscribed to Internet Plus and planned to put Comcast's low definition descrambler box in the closet since we wouldn't need it.  We really wanted to access HBO on our Roku. Imagine our surprise when we found out that Comcast Xfinity does not support HBO Go on our Roku!

There are quite a few ISPs that will work with HBOgo on the Roku.  We cancelled Internet Plus and went back to Performance Starter. We will purchase Internet only HBO when it becomes available. I guess, what is also grinding my grits, is that Comcast (and Broadcasters) require us to pay broadcast fees for something we will never watch over Comcast since we receive free over the air in all its stunning glory.

As an aside to this, the descrambler box arrived today and it looks like an oversized dinosaur VHS player from the 1990's.  The Roku, in comparison is small and elegant. I am going to the Comcast store to return it, and get a receipt since I have trust issues with Comcast.

ATT Uverse is available and Google is building fiber; so we do have other options. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

also a $35 Chromescast is a nice cheap option as well.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Could you please allow us to use HBO GO on the roku. Most other companies allow it. It is ridiculous you don't allow it and I will not be renewing your service if there is no change.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So Comcast just straight up lied to me. I had one analyst (in a chat no less) tell me that the issue is one between Roku and HBO and has nothing to do with Comcast at all. What a crock. I am seriously considering leaving Comcast if they can't get this together and support Roku. Though they were helpful by telling me that I could use a variety of other devices if I really wanted to see HBO Go. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

9 years ago

Yes, Comcast lied to me as well. Retentions said it was a "Roku issue". Just like last year, it was a "Netflix" issue.  I learned my lesson. Performance Starter Internet only for me. When HBO offers their cable free streaming option in a few months, I will take it. But, not through Comcast. Comcast needs to be split into two companies: Internet and Content. I can't wait for the day when Internet will be considered a public utility.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

Any updates on the changes to the no Roku policy for HBO GO, Showtime Anytime and the other programs now available for anywhere (exoept Roku!)? 

This process is available via the other services in my area. I am paying for HBO & Showtime - I should have the access.

Thansk!

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

Comcast will surely open it up when HBO goes online and offers subscriptions bypassing Comcast... Until that day I have given up on Comcast bringing it to Roku.

Comcast will use it in redemptions to save people from cancelling their HBO service in lue of customers just signing up for hbogo. Their script will be along the lines of 'Well why are you wanting to cancel your HBO subscription? " then when you say "I want to watch HBO on my Roku" you'll hear "Well as it is now, it isn't available to the public but we are starting the testing phase of allowing customers that have had HBO for the past 3 months or more to opt into the test phase. I'd be happy to place your account into that test group"....

Close call...

It's sad but that is how it'll work... Wouldn't be surprised if they cut off all HBOGO access 3-6 months before HBOGO starts their own subscription.

Anyone else notice they upped the cost of their rental modems, routers & DVR's? In my area they raised it by two dollars on each... They are bracing for their TV subscriptions to drop & off setting it with who has a DVR & any other rental equipment...

My modem, and router have paid for themselves twice over already... I just upgraded my router, will be getting the new 16 channel Arris/Motorola modem soon as well... At their new pricing instead of it taking 12 months is now a flat 10 months to pay for itself... Love it

Oh and i also can't wait till broadband becomes a utility, specifically fiber to the home... Since i already have fiber to the node thru Comcast but they don't want to increase my speeds past 105 down even though there is plenty of bandwith going unused at my node. I know this because I never experience any slowdown even at peak times... Connection is always at maximum allowed for my firmware. Is like them to do another upgrade for free to a new level of they are afraid of giving 500 down to who is on 105... They should go to 300 line TWC for a few months if they have any doubts about their ability to support 500 for 20% of their customers and 105 for 60% and 50 for 10%

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

that is pretty funny  seeing how if it was between Roku and HBO then HBO Go wouldn't be available on the Roku.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

I have the FXX and haven't heard of that... Oh well

The contact doesn't apply to me luckily I've always had good luck getting promo pricing. Also the phone... I refuse to get no matter how many times they call.... I looked into home phone service and honestly I don't need it with myself, wife and daughter having cell phones always on us. My parents have their home phone & I've found Ooma to be the best option right now... Plug the base into your router & gives you everything but the on screen caller ID. You pay upfront for the equipment then their free option is only paying the taxes or pay i believe it's $10 a month for some extra features... They have some great packages like the base and 5 phones that support HD calling. Or just get the base and use your current phones... HD calling though is something you'll want in the near future since all cell companies are going to have it sooner rather than later. If i wanted home phone service I'd get that... Once again equipment costs will be made up depending on your plan with Comcast i estimate within 6-10 months... This post will prob be removed quickly so Google Ooma and save it or direct msg me. Only thing that'll be negative vs Comcast is that caller ID on your TV & Comcast not setting aside the 10-50 kb/s to use voice & it'll take it from your speed when on the phone... But that's a drop in the bucket even for Comcasts slowest speeds. You can even transfer your current #... I'm a pretty big tech geek & right now people recommend magicjack & other services but this is by far the best I've ever seen...

Not to try and take Comcasts business just trying to inform you and others that the prices Comcast charge is robbery.

Going this route also allows you to go with a regular modem that isn't a VOIP modem which are a little pricy & go back to regular cable modems & a nice feature rich router. Which in turn will have the ability to use the built in QOS so that VOIP is rated higher than regular surfing so that you always have a great phone conversation even when maxing out your connection with downloads and or uploads.

People are unaware of the amount of money they'd save by just doing a little research online.

It's a shame my parents think that the on screen caller ID & renting their equipment is the best deal... Yeah a higher upfront cost but the fact that it'll save you in a year or less depending... Money is not infinite to 99% of the populace and saving 30 here or 50 there adds up especially if it's monthly...

Feel free to message me directly if you have any questions I'd be happy to help even if it's just on how to setup QOS on your router for a perfect phone service using an alternative to Comcasts.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

As an HBO subscriber, I would like to be able to watch HBO shows through my ROKU device.  This option is not available through Comcast/Xfinity.  Are there any plans in the future to add this function?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here