sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I have Comcast and 2 Roku boxes.....However, I also have a SmarTV where I am able to use that to watch HBO GO on my tv that I do not have hooked up to my cable.  I also have my HDMI cable for things on my computer that I want to watch on my TV.

I love my Roku which is why I have 2.  There are some channels on Roku that are free, but the major ones usually cost monthly. Yes, Comcast rapes its customers by removing channels that werer once available on the basic channel line-up but now you have to go to yet not one but two tiers up to get the one channel that was on basic.  

It is a shame that Comcast doesn't take into consideration those people who live on a fixed income...but is just as greedy as every other corporation out there.  I should be able to watch tv w/cable channels under $111/month and per Comcast I do as my pkg is $89...the other $22 is in all those ridiculous taxes that our Federal/Local governments charge for our using it.  I am waiting to see if the Google or Chromecasts come to my area as we need to stop this non-competetive pricing.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I just bought a large new TV for my home and selected this specific model (in lieu of others) because it showed it could connect to HBO GO through Roku. The excitement over this new TV came to a quick halt when I found that Comcast is the only service provider that doesn't allow HBO Go streaming through Roku. I was stunned and thoroughly angered by this. Why is it that Comcast does not allow this streaming while all other providers do? Clearly, Comcast is blocking this to the detriment of consumers because of its own corporate greed. Meanwhile, consumers are made to put up with second-rate service because Comcast believes it can control the market. This experience has me very upset and I do not wish to support Comcast any longer. I will jump at the chance to switch to an alternative provider who will do the right things for their customers. I am leaving you Comcast. Goodbye. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

I just bought a large new TV for my home and selected this specific model (in lieu of others) because it showed it could connect to HBO GO through Roku. The excitement over this new TV came to a quick halt when I found that Comcast is the only service provider that doesn't allow HBO Go streaming through Roku. I was stunned and thoroughly angered by this. Why is it that Comcast does not allow this streaming while all other providers do? Clearly, Comcast is blocking this to the detriment of consumers because of its own corporate greed. Meanwhile, consumers are made to put up with second-rate service because Comcast believes it can control the market. This experience has me very upset and I do not wish to support Comcast any longer. I will jump at the chance to switch to an alternative provider who will do right by its customers. I am leaving you Comcast. Goodbye. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Just to add insult to injury...  Not that there is any excuse for blocking programing that has been paid for but it is particularly troubling that you cannot watch HBO Go, etc. even if you pay Comcast for the subscription!!

I have a part time home in Florida with Comcast...  My main residence is in NJ and I use Comcast for phone, internet and cable including a full subscription to HBO, Cinimax, Showtime, Stars, etc.  I can play any of these on my I Pad using the apps but not through my ROKU.

Why would they block their own customers?  Pretty arrogant if you ask me...

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I cannot get HBOGo to connect thru ROKU.   Are there plans for Comcast to allow ROKU?   

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.5K Messages

10 years ago

No as far as I can tell and have read in other message boards comcast has no plans at this time to support HBO to go with Roku.

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

There are 2 or several ways around this, depending how you count:

1.  Video Cable and smart device: You can watch HBO Go on your PC or Smartphone or Tablet.  To transfer to your TV screen use the appropriate HDMI or VGA cable, etc.

This also works for Xfinity Go which gets you Streampix, some "Live" cable channels, and whatnot.

2. Chromecast "dongle" and smart device.  Works with HBO Go,  ESPN, and several not afiliated with Comcast services.

X. ESPNwatch works with Roku - authorized via my Comcast subscription - which just goes to prove Comcast  could have worked out a deal with HBO and Roku also.      Roku<->ESPN<->Comcast  so why not "HBOGo"?  

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

10 years ago

Add another device to the list of peripherals that offer HBOgo: Apple TV. No excuse for Comcast not authenticating on Roku, however.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Comcast in my area regularly gets over the 105 speed down and up. Sure HBOgo would be amazing in my 3 Roku's but with dvr in every room thanks to the new X1 and their on demand plus Netflix i have plenty to watch. Also chromecast, filling in the holes with 3 tablets and 3 phones running Android.

It's the only option other than uverse in my area, and with so many devices + computers in fairly happy. I do have to call every 6 months for a better rate. At this point the only thing I'd take off it came to my area is Google fiber.

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Comast is the better internet provider in our area, but we are giving serious consideration to switching our TV  service to Verizon since they support more of the streaming options (including HBO GO ) on Roku and reportedly arenn't complete tools about supporting cablecard devices other than Roku.  I got the runaround from them for months on enabling one of their cable cards for a silicon dust device, and in the end they told me the cable card I'd been given was still provisioned to a previous customer;s device and nobody could apparently do anything about it.   The worst was that I was told I would not get charged for the cablecard (especially since we had a DVR and two other cable boxes from them)  but was indeed charged for a few months even though they never got the thing going. 

This is an instance where bundling doesn't seem to provid a value anymore. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I just bought a TV and a Roku Straming stick today excited to just have netflix and HBO in the bedroom. I assumed I would be able to use my Xfinity account for HBO GO with Roku

. Such a disappointment. Hope they manage to come to an agreement.

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

How come everyone in the USA except Comcast can use their ROKU with HBOGo . What gives. Would like to see this happen ASAP  Woman Frustrated

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

It works with Apple TV....

Contributor

• 

36 Messages

10 years ago

If you are lucky enough to be served by both Verizon-Fios and Comcast/Xfinity - I would certainly encourage you to look at the options and prices and try both.  Since this "board" is controlled by Comcast, it would probably be best to move this tangential discussion over to dslreports.com where we are free to discuss, compare and review all Broadband providers.

BTW - no matter which you go with, you will likely save money and get more flexibility and features by using an independent VOIP (telephone) service on-top-of whatever Internet provider you choose.  I'm a nut on this - I use three together - google voice, localphone.com and callcentric and my monthly bill is $3.10 - really - when I told the comcast service rep this, he gave up trying to sell me into the "triple play"!

Frequent Visitor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Don't make me cry. Apple is not Roku  😞

@patrickjewing wrote:

It works with Apple TV....

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here