sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@Zordar wrote:

Has anyone tried the Google TV HBO GO app?  That also runs on android.  Sony has a Google TV box I was thinking of trying.

I bought the Sony box before I bought Roku, and it is the reason I bought Roku. On the Sony box, it goes through the Sony servers apparently, and when they get overloaded, you get "buffering, please wait" about every other minute, making it virtually impossible to watch anything. We unhooked it, took it back to the store and bought the Roku--and have had no problems since with streaming.

Contributor

• 

362 Messages

11 years ago

@michelej60 wrote:

It would be nice to be able to bring your HBO with you, say to hotel, visiting "mom" in Florida, or my daughters dorm rooms at college, who would have access to streaming the HBO Channels that I am paying for.  They can stream them on their computers, but not on their televisions.  It would be nice to be able to get the most out of the cable channels, which I pay so much for.  We don't all live in a bubble.

"or my daughters dorm rooms at college..." I think you have hit one nail on the head. Comcast limits the number of "authorized" devices you can stream on using their app (3), Roku would have no such limits. In a household where we have 2 iPhones and 3 pcs, that limit of 3 devices was frustrating at best. I have 2 pcs, one is used primarily for travel, but other times the large one needs to go.  hubby has his own pc, and when on the road, were it not for the Roku with Hulu and Netflix for much of our "on demand" needs, we would have been trying to juggle "which pc is currently authorized?" even more often than we were already. It is about control, and Comcast wants complete control over your viewing environment.  I suspect that if they thought they could get away with it, they would find a way to completely block Roku from being used over their internet service.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

11 years ago

As a die hard Roku owner (I have 3 and have given more then a dozen as gifts). I would never recommend replacing one with a GoogleTV. If you were looking for an alternative for HBO and some other site that require cable provider auth it's ok.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

11 years ago

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I REALLY, REALLY dont understand this, hear me out folks. My family has had comcast for 20 years, not 2, not 10..TWENTY OKAY haha I have no problems w/ anything BUT HBOGO on my roku. I can watch HBOGO on my laptop (17") not great, I can watch it on my XBOX360 (27") not in a movie watching area, BUT I cant watch it on my 55" samsung LED in my cumfy cozy LIVING ROOM? It KILLS ME! Haha either authorize HBOGO on the roku or add it to on demand so me, and the thousands of other people with this same problem can enjoy ALL of the HBO content we pay for, not the last 10 episodes of this series, the first 5 episodes of that series and the 3rd season of this one... If i want to watch a season from start to finish i have to wait 6,8 heck maybe even a year until season 4-6 are done and im lucky enough for comcast to post season 1 again! Haha comcast i love you, i really do enjoy XOD, internet speed and ur services EXCEPT THIS! I just dont understand WHY its not available on.the roku, it doesnt make sense. I hate to.say it but in 6 months if its the same as it is now, im looking into another provider that will let me watch what i pay for when i want to watch it...and that makes me sad because comcast is the best in most other areas

Contributor

• 

51 Messages

11 years ago

No, unfortunately, what you were told is untrue. The only non-computer, tablet, or telephone device approved by Comcast for direct access to HBOgo on your TV is the xBox. 

However,there is a kernal of truth hidden in there.  If you have an current version Apple TV and a up-to-date Mac or iPad capable of mirroring or airplay you can use it to stream HBOgo to the Apple TV and watch that way. Not as good as direct access, but close.

I've watched all of Rome that way. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Add me to the list of upset customers of Comast in regards to the HBOGo Roku debacle.  I've contacted tech support.  They told me the Apple TV device is compatible with HBOGo and Comcast.  True?  I'd like to know before I go out and spend another $100 just trying to get the HBO content I'd like to watch.  Thanks

Contributor

• 

42 Messages

11 years ago

It's as easy as signing up to DISH, not DirecTV!  Dish loves the Roku and actually has an app for the Roku for watching international programming.  Their new Hopper DVR now includes Sling which is totally incredible!

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I would like to watch HBO Go on my Ruko, but can't because Comcast doesn't support Ruko, only Xbox360. I contacted HBO to figure who I need to contact about this problem and I was told to contact Comcast. Is there any plans on Comcast allowing its costmers to watch HBO Go through the Ruko device? When or why not?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

does anyone know how to set the roku player up thru the digital box? we tried the red, yellow, white rca plugs on the front but they did not activate the box. What channel does the tv need to be set on? I currently have to use a switcher box and was hoping to connet the roku thru the box from comcast.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

11 years ago

Can't be done there are no cable boxes with an aux video input.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

Comcast will lose my business if they do not all HBO subscribers to stream HBO GO on ROKU!

Contributor

• 

29 Messages

11 years ago

Hook your Roku up directly to your TV, not to your cable box.  Then switch your input on your TV to composite, and the Roku should work fine.  If you have an HDMI slot on your TV, you can hook the Roku up directly to your TV with an HDMI cable.

Contributor

• 

65 Messages

11 years ago

I just got an email that there were a bunch of new posts, but they seem to have been deleted, why?

Any this thread is over a year old, with almost 900 posts, and almost 41,000 views.  That is the most views of any help topic on these boards.  Why isn't the support team posting in this thread?  ComcastJoe, where are you?

41,000 views!  That could be 41,000 accounts of future customers, angry current customers, and customers who dropped Comcast already.  Doesn't anybody at Comcast really care about this?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

11 years ago

I have hbo go on ipad, Mac, etc. why not Roku?  I even have an old Logitech Review which is supported!! I bought Roku to replace Review which is discontinued, and no HBO go!  Why do other cable providers provide more value for their HBO subscribers?  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here