sandyandy's profile

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, November 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Closed

ROKU, HBO GO

I have HBO GO on the computer and on my iPad.  I really want it on Roku, too.  Any chance of that???

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

12 years ago

A friend of mine has Dish Network and they just gave hime a free Roku because of the viacom channels they lost.  He said they were really pushing HBO Go thjrough the Roku and gave him 3 months of HBO free.  May be time to switch.  I don't see Comcast listening to their customers.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I was all excited to go buy a Roku for HBO GO streaming, and discovered that it's crippled by Comcast. So I had a chat session with customer service rep Edith about it to confirm. At first she said yes, HBO GO would work fine with Roku. Then she reappeared after the requisite 2-3 minute absence and introduced Comcast's latest insulting, obfuscatory talking point for further disclarification:

Edith: I just confirmed that box 360 works with HBO go. Howevere, Roku is not yet fully supported . We are getting updates that the provider Comcast when trying to activate it on your end can't be find.

Edith: Unfortunately, I don't have an estimated time for completion of the support. Our technicians and engineers are working quickly to resolve the problem.

Edith: You can contact us at 800-9346489 next month to get an update on this.

So now it seems the official company line is that it's somehow a technical issue. So while nearly every other ISP in the universe has somehow found a workaround to this baffling Roku technical dilemna, hapless Comfinity remains unable. I guess they'd prefer to be seen as completely incompetent and technologically backwards, rather than greedy, inflexible, and largely indifferent to the demands of their customers. Sadly, as most of us on this forum already know, Comcast is all of those things.

I do feel bad for Edith, having to spout off lies like this on her company's behalf. Get with it, Comcast.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

lol... "hapless"   couldn't agree more...

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

Its really a shame that they have finally run out of lies to give the public as to why they wont let it work. But at least it leaves them the only excuse left. "its because of the aliens in area 51 that caused global warming, the end of the world on 12-21-2012 ,reality shows and hbogo not working on roku boxes through comcast. because xfinity is the only power on earth that can stop them. All praise comcast!

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

$48.00 - $96.00. That's how much I estimate HBO has lost from me so far, since I dropped HBO earlier this spring and slimmed down my cable package. This was almost solely brought on by the fact that I wasn't able to watch HBO through Roku. Now I watch it on Roku with a joint Uverse subscription, and I couldn't be happier with it. There's simply no evidence that Comcast is better off alienating Roku users, and any word from Comcast otherwise should tell you how divorced they are from the current consumer zeitgeist.

The bean counters at Comcast think they know better. They don't. I mean, good God, it's actually starting to look pathetic.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

Yup. No doubt there. It also proves one other major thing. The people that make decisions for comcast have been educated beyond their intelligence.

Regular Contributor

• 

100 Messages

12 years ago

Actually TimeWarner Cable only started to allow HBOGO on ROKU in May. This only after the President of TimeWarner Communications asked publicly during a stock holders meeting why he could not get HBOGO on his ROKU. Since both TimeWarner Cable and HBO are companies under his control and it still took another 3 months for them to give the approval.

May be we can send a Roku to the president of NBC/Universal/Comcast so they can understand our frustration. 

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

Its not gonna happen unless Comcast can back charge HBO for every roku device activated with HBO go. because thats lost box rental revenue to comcast. How ever i would only see comcast making that charge if they offered exactly the same content through there on-demand service. We all know HBO-Go is far superior to HBO-Ondemand....

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

COMCAST GET ON THE BUS!!

WE WANT TO WATCH HBO-GO THROUGH OUR ROKU PLAYER.  WE ARE GIVING IT UNTIL THE END OF AUGUST THEN WE'RE SWITCHING TO AT&T UVERSE.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

yep, we're going to switch the AT&T Universe as well. When I spoke to them on the phone back in January they said it would be resolved in the next few months. So much for that. They also said that comcast was going to release it's own roku-type device and my guess is that they want to put HBOGO on there so they can get more of the profit. It's really lame to keep everyone waiting.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

And we are at the end of July and NOTHING. I have allowed this company to give me lousy service for nearly twenty years and I still do nothing about it. Why haven't I hooked up Dish Network yet?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

Are you kidding?!?  No Roku+HBOGO+Comcast support?!?  Why am I surprised that Comcast is the exception here!  Come on Comcast, get with the program and start supporting HBOGO on Roku devices and smart TVs.

Contributor

• 

25 Messages

12 years ago

Uggh. I just tried to install and see that it doesn't work. So I just downloaded PlayOn, got a lifetime membership, and am good to go.

Thank you Comcast for being completely useless. You failed to block me or anyone else that uses this solution, and all you did was make my life a bit harder, not to mention $50.

Obtuse defined.

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

@MickRonson wrote:

All kidding aside I think Comcast fears being replaced by Roku. And it is a viable option by the way. Just read this today:

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/roku-gets-major-investment-from-new-partners-sky-and-news-corp--1090185

Look out Comcast! Roku is gaining on you as we speak.

Hopefully this means I will be able to get Fox News without comcast. On a side note looks like google has scared comcast with there gigabit fibre offering. I just got my bandwidth doubled today. Now they need to increase the Monthly 250GB cap....

Regular Contributor

• 

91 Messages

12 years ago

Watch them say that they needed to implement there new data bandwidth policies before supporting the Roku Fully. Just a FYI in the Philly PA area data caps are suspended but expected to increase to 300GB.... They did increase my speeds 2 fold to 50Mbps download  and 10Mbps upload. paying around 50 bucks a month Internet only...

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here