steveschu's profile

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

Friday, January 17th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

New Edge (Chromium-based) browser

I have been experimenting with the new Edge browser (Chromium based), and have an interesting problem: some stations simply won't stream, and generate a constantly repeating "Attempting to Resume..." message ("We've run into a problem while streaming...blah bhal"), and never get going. Others work great. For instance, Starz and HBO fail, while local stations (here in Denver) seem to work fine. CNN fails but CNBC works great. Sometimes I get an "Enable Flash" message with a stream sometimes not, sometimes it just starts streaming great. It doesn't seem to matter if I enabled Flash or not.

While monitoring the system Performance via Task Manager, the CPU demands of the new Edge browswer, for stations that work, is far, FAR lower than other browsers like Chrome, which makes a big difference on a low-end PC. Memory consumption seems much lower, too. So the new Edge browser seems very promising to me, except for this "station-by-station exception" problem.

What's going on? Why are the different stations so wildly different? Is there any hope they might all be made to work properly in the new Edge?

Thanks!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

39 Messages

4 years ago

One more interesting note to add: If I record one of the channels that fails, then immediately go to watch the recording, that channel works fine. I set an episode recording for CNN for the current show that was running, then immediately went to watch recordings and watched it, which meant I was watching maybe 5 or so seconds behind the live stream, that worked fine. Obviously there is some change in the encoding for a recording vs. live, and different encoding methods for some stations vs. others. What's up with that?

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Yep, having the same problem with the new Edge, many channels simply won't play currently, while all play perfectly fine in Chrome (and Brave). 

I'm getting errors like:

"This browser has paused playback."

(Error TVAPP-00282)

It used to say "attempting to resume" like 3 times in a row before declaring to enable Flash, but it doesn't do that anymore. (I'm NOT enabling Flash even if that's the answer.)

So, this needs to be fixed as the new Edge will surely be exploding in usage very soon.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Still an issue on new Edge version 80.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Ethernet.   Recordings play fine.  Many live tv channels do not (however the ones that have GO equivilents play fine).

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Some of the several channels that cause "This browser has paused playback. (Error TVAPP-00282)" or repeated "Attempting to resume" screens in the new Edge for me:

Olympic Channel (822)

Bravo (832)

Lifetime (835)

Golf Channel (849)

AMC (889)

Starz Encore (891)

Tennis Channel (862)

All work fine in Google Chrome, as well as in Brave.  (With Flash disabled, of course.)

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Well I didn't try every single channel, but many of the lower channels do work, such as the locals (ABC, Fox, etc.) and several others (like below 814); but there are also lower ones that don't work, such as FS2 (740).   Some of the higher ones do work, like ESPN (850) and ESPN2 (851), but most of the other major networks (A&E, Bravo, E!, etc.) don't (but the TvGo versions of those do work).

I guess I'll have to use Chrome or Brave just for the Stream site for now, to have full channel support.  Hopefully it gets resolved soon though.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

It seems ever since there was an update, in the last couple of weeks, I am having issues streaming TVGo using Edge or Firefox.  I have not had any real problems with streaming until now. The show starts to play, doesn't even get out one sentence and then I get message "Attempting to Resume...We've run into a problem while streaming. Airdate:2/19. Please wait while we try again". I reload and the same process again.  Any help would be appreciated.

Contributor

• 

52 Messages

4 years ago

Well, yep, I've noticed that too recently, but retrying a few times usually makes it play normally for the TvGo channels.

I'm giving it a couple more months to be ironed out.

Problem Solver

• 

219 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having similar issues as-well. I may check on this thread in the future.  (that's interesting for now, though)

Problem Solver

• 

219 Messages

4 years ago

yep, similar issues as those stated by others above... you guys should keep updating this thread ... have a good day.

Problem Solver

• 

219 Messages

4 years ago

ok

several LIVE CHANNELS selected I got 'attempting to resume.... attempting to resume'

when I selected the TV GO selections for those same channels, THEY WERE OK.

one of the posts above described that as-well.

I guess it's usable... 

have a good day

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

A new version was released on roughly Feb 21. This link appears to keep track of all the release versions:

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-us/security-guidance/advisory/ADV200002

Problem Solver

• 

219 Messages

4 years ago

I think the Edge Chromiun browser was upgraded..

I'm able to stream Live channels now (regular LIVE channels )

I'm still looking at other things though...

have a good day

Problem Solver

• 

219 Messages

4 years ago

Some ofthe LIVE channels, though, still want to have Adobe FlashPlayer enabled.

I don't want to use that.

It's going away down-the-road anyway..

I'm done.

I'll "wait for the movie..."

Adios

Problem Solver

• 

219 Messages

4 years ago

Adobe Flashplayer is going away down-the-road y'all <<<<<----

forum icon

New to the Community?