larvitar's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, April 16th, 2020 8:00 PM

Closed

Issues streaming certain shows--home wifi

I'm getting an error message that I must logon to my home wifi to stream certain shows due to licensing issues. I'm on my home wifi so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@larvitar wrote:

I'm getting an error message that I must logon to my home wifi to stream certain shows due to licensing issues. I'm on my home wifi so I'm not sure what the issue is. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!

does your PC have a VPN service? if so, is it on? does your PC's DNS server addresses point to Comcast's DNS server? are you connected to your own SSID (not the xfinitywifi or XFINITY SSID)?

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Hello  larvitar,

We took a look at you account and it looks like you're missing a registered modem and that is what is causing you to receive Out of Home message when attempting to playback on Stream. You must have a registered modem in order for our services to properly identify your home network and tie it to your account. To rectify this, please contact customer service at 1-800-XFINITY to register you modem. Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

I too have this increassingly frequent annoyance.  Dell XPS desktop, Win 10 lastest updates, no hardware changes, no nothing.  Watching on Edge browser.  I get a blip in my stream, it reconnects to the stream (another annoyance) now I can only get TVGo channels.  That's the scene where you change to a chanel in your normal LIVE TV line and are told by the comcast stream that "YOU MUST LOG IN TO YOUR HOME WIFI."  This is always strange while seating in my HOME at a WIRED pc watching a stream that was perferct a minute ago.  

I have theorized recently that this was comcast maintanence related.  Seems A LOT of support time gets wasted when comcast won't admit it's maintenance on their end whice causes this service interuption.  Very annoying.  Then folks write back here that "a day or two later the problem 'fixes' itself."  As this happens now with increasing frequency, I've been able to check other elements of my PC.  I think I hit something of interest today.  My current ip connection shows A 2 HOUR LEASE.  With about 59 minutes remaining on the lease, it renewed to another 2 HOUR LEASE.  The typical (when things work right) lease length I see is 4 days.  As I write this, my last two hour lease is down on 1 hour 22 minutes.  It is my understanding that short lease times like this 99.9% of the time means network MAINTENANCE.  So, comcast, what say you?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@TC707 wrote:

I too have this increassingly frequent annoyance.  Dell XPS desktop, Win 10 lastest updates, no hardware changes, no nothing.  Watching on Edge browser.  I get a blip in my stream, it reconnects to the stream (another annoyance) now I can only get TVGo channels.  That's the scene where you change to a chanel in your normal LIVE TV line and are told by the comcast stream that "YOU MUST LOG IN TO YOUR HOME WIFI."  This is always strange while seating in my HOME at a WIRED pc watching a stream that was perferct a minute ago.  

I have theorized recently that this was comcast maintanence related.  Seems A LOT of support time gets wasted when comcast won't admit it's maintenance on their end whice causes this service interuption.  Very annoying.  Then folks write back here that "a day or two later the problem 'fixes' itself."  As this happens now with increasing frequency, I've been able to check other elements of my PC.  I think I hit something of interest today.  My current ip connection shows A 2 HOUR LEASE.  With about 59 minutes remaining on the lease, it renewed to another 2 HOUR LEASE.  The typical (when things work right) lease length I see is 4 days.  As I write this, my last two hour lease is down on 1 hour 22 minutes.  It is my understanding that short lease times like this 99.9% of the time means network MAINTENANCE.  So, comcast, what say you?

on that device do you have the xfinitywifi and/or XFINITY SSIDs added in the authorized wifi list? if so, the computer may be switching (the blip) to a different wifi connection.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@TC707 wrote:

RustyBen:

Thanks for taking a swing at this.  About 2 hours ago, while I'm still getting 2 hour lease renewals, my live TV steam returned to normal (number channels again available, not forced to only select from TVGo).  This PC is not connected to comcast network via WiFi.

"This is always strange while seated in my HOME at a WIRED pc watching a stream that was perferct a minute ago."

The WiFi radio on this PC is turned off.  My modem (yes, top of the comcast approved list) is properly registered, as without that I would NEVER have the normal (numbered) TV channel list.  This problem just pops up without warning about once a month, lately, it has happened twice in the past two weeks.  As the entire comcast stream/via browser is typically unstable, this continued unrealiabilty is now the norm.  Again, on a wired connection w/ 200dn/12up service I don't see a shortage of bandwidth as the problem.  I think this stream site/app just needs some "internal debugging" at comcast as the number of "it fixed itself" mentions (many of mine included) seems very high.  I haven't even rebooted, logged on/off, or shut down the app today when the number channels become available again.  I could be wrong, however I belive it is HIGHLY unlikly this could be caused by issues on the user's end.  

try an xfinity supplied gateway/modem and see if that clears it up (diagnosis in process that way).

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

RustyBen:

Thanks for taking a swing at this.  About 2 hours ago, while I'm still getting 2 hour lease renewals, my live TV steam returned to normal (number channels again available, not forced to only select from TVGo).  This PC is not connected to comcast network via WiFi.

"This is always strange while seated in my HOME at a WIRED pc watching a stream that was perferct a minute ago."

The WiFi radio on this PC is turned off.  My modem (yes, top of the comcast approved list) is properly registered, as without that I would NEVER have the normal (numbered) TV channel list.  This problem just pops up without warning about once a month, lately, it has happened twice in the past two weeks.  As the entire comcast stream/via browser is typically unstable, this continued unrealiabilty is now the norm.  Again, on a wired connection w/ 200dn/12up service I don't see a shortage of bandwidth as the problem.  I think this stream site/app just needs some "internal debugging" at comcast as the number of "it fixed itself" mentions (many of mine included) seems very high.  I haven't even rebooted, logged on/off, or shut down the app today when the number channels become available again.  I could be wrong, however I belive it is HIGHLY unlikly this could be caused by issues on the user's end.  

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @TC707

We are currently investigating the experience you are having. Are you able to provide specific dates and timestamps to assist with the investigation?

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @TC707,

We were able to identify the time of the incidents and are working to have the issue resolved. Please bare with us. I will update you here once the issue is resolved. Thank you.

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @TC707 ,

After investigating, we now see that the leasing issue has resolved for you.  We will be conducting a deeper investigation to eliminate this issue from happening in the future. If you need any further assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for looking in to this...

After several days of decent performance, I'm on TVGo again from my afore mentioned setup.  After several days of 2 hour leases on my ip, I just checked and currently have a 1 day 5 hour lease time.  That is a bit unusual IMHO.  Last night from 10p-12a the stream was about as bad as I've ever seen it.  With a 2 hour lease on my ip, watching the Weather Channel, stream did not run long than 5 minutes without dropping and reloading.  Thanks for working on this stuff, I hope there is a solution soon.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

10:45pm-- earlier today, numbered channels returned,  just now, switched over the TVGo.  Still need some work guys...thanks for checking, please fix soon.

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @TC707 

Thank you for informing us that you are continuing to have this issue. We will continue to investigate and inform you when we have more information.

Thanks.

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @TC707 ,

While we are addressing configurations on our end, it has been advised that updating your modem to the most current firmware and rebooting the device may improve your current experience.

Thank you

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

4 years ago

Hello:

I did exactly this recently (Sat or Sun) and I thought I noticed new firmware.  Will do again today to be sure.  No issues all day yesterday and OK so far today.  Thank you again.

Official Employee

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

Hello @TC707 ,

We were able to fix the IP leasing issue on our end. However, were are still seeing some weird behavior on the devices end. Please let us know if there was a firmware update available and completed for your device so we take another look at the device's behavior.

Thanks

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here