Bear with me on this explanation. Had the same issue, all of the sudden I could not record more than 2 programs at the same time.
1. they exchanged the cable box, same problem.
2. called tech, did some downloading signals, restarting, same problem. Told me I would have to get the dvr code to allow me to record. $10 a month. I said no.
3. Got another tech. Told me I would have to upgrade my service.
4. Contacted billing, they said I should not have to upgrade, I already have the service, sent me back to tech.
5. The tech first tried to send the dvr code, did not work. He then removed the dvr code and sent some other signals to my dvr. AND IT WORKED. No need for the extra $10 a month code.
6. It all depends on who you get.
I just came to look for a solution for the same problem. So the only way to solve it is to sit for who knows how long on the phone with an agent?
We have received multiple new DVR boxes. Same problem. We cannot record more than 2 programs simultaneously. We have spent many hours on the phone and chat. The Comcast people do not understand about recording programs simultaneously. Very hard to explain the problem to the Comcast people. Our latest box is suppose to record 6 programs simultaneously.
After many hours of talking to comcast, I am paying the extra $10.00. I am supprise that all the Comcast agents are ignorant about the dumbing down the DVRs. I have a DVR. Comcast blocked my ability to use the DVR to record. To unblock the record capability of the DVR, I have to pay $10.00 a month to use the DVR that was installed years ago and worked very well before the dumb down.