Community Forum

netflix stutter

Regular Visitor

Re: netflix stutter

How does one "open the request"?

Regular Visitor

Please tell us how to open a request. It is not evident. Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

@Discovery77 wrote:

I've been experiencing Netflix stutter ONLY on my X1 DVR in just the past few weeks. It plays fine on my non-DVR boxes. Has there been any progress on a remedy. ("No known issues" no longer works as this ever-expanding string clearly demonstrates.)

So far the one fix is to get the 4k DVR.

Official Employee

To open a request, you will need to send me a private message with your name so I can open it for you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

I would request that this issue be looked into at the very least when rolling out the new Amazon Prime app.
Official Employee

Thank you for your feedback, Tooky61. Right now we are tracking this issue by opening up requests, but we do appreciate your suggestion. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

The Amazon Prime app was on my box. It ran smooth for an episode of Man In The High Castle. Netflix unfortunately still does not run smooth.
Contributor

Yep me too.
Regular Visitor

I too notice this issue in the last month, did not notice this issue earlier this year. Located in San Jose, CA. When can we expect a resolution to this problem?
Official Employee

There is no large/overall fix in place for this problem on the back-end. If you're experiencing trouble with the Netflix app through the X1 box, please send me a private message with your name and I will get a request submitted for you. We will go from there.

Regular Visitor

It doesn't sound like Comcast is working on this and all of the possible solutions from them don't work for anyone. Others on this thread said a 4k box works.

I went ahead and called Comcast and asked for a 4k box to replace my existing box. I was surprised that they did it without asking any questions. The support person even managed to ship it for free and it got here in one day. At first he said he would have to charge $15. 

The new 4k box works great with no stutter. I tested a couple of Netflix shows I had problems with before. As mentioned before, apps also seem to load quicker. One note, as others have mentioned... the 4k box works fine with my non-4k HD TV. 

Save yourself some time and frustration and order a 4k box. Keep in mind that all of your scheduled recordings and saved recordings will all be there since it syncs from the cloud. You will just need to configure your remote to work with your TV/audio system if you did that before.

Oh yeah, there is one thing that is different with the 4k box. It does not have an optical audio output jack on the back of it. Before, I had the comcast box auido optical output going to my audio receiver. Now, I use the optical output on my TV and it works fine. 

Official Employee

Thanks for posting this update, jaybfl. We are aware this issue is going on for some of our users (as it's evident especially in this thread) and there is a process in place for reporting and tracking this issue. Thanks again. 

Frequent Visitor

@jaybfl wrote:

It doesn't sound like Comcast is working on this and all of the possible solutions from them don't work for anyone. Others on this thread said a 4k box works.

I went ahead and called Comcast and asked for a 4k box to replace my existing box. I was surprised that they did it without asking any questions. The support person even managed to ship it for free and it got here in one day. At first he said he would have to charge $15. 

The new 4k box works great with no stutter. I tested a couple of Netflix shows I had problems with before. As mentioned before, apps also seem to load quicker. One note, as others have mentioned... the 4k box works fine with my non-4k HD TV. 

Save yourself some time and frustration and order a 4k box. Keep in mind that all of your scheduled recordings and saved recordings will all be there since it syncs from the cloud. You will just need to configure your remote to work with your TV/audio system if you did that before.

Oh yeah, there is one thing that is different with the 4k box. It does not have an optical audio output jack on the back of it. Before, I had the comcast box auido optical output going to my audio receiver. Now, I use the optical output on my TV and it works fine. 

Instead of reconfiguring your remote, just use the current one.  You just have to sync it with the new X1 4k box by:

1. Press and hold the xfinity and Info buttons for 5 seconds. Wait for the remote light to change from red to green.
  2. Follow the instructions by entering the three-digit, on-screen pairing code.
Contributor

Does it have any kind of audio jack?
Expert

@Pfrwatlans wrote:
Does it have any kind of audio jack?

no, all audio is sent digitally on the HDMI cable.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Can anyone with the 4K box tell me how the audio is? I have read a couple other forum threads that the Tv or audio receiver have to be turned up considerably more to get a comparable volume to the old X1. I don’t want to fix one problem only to have a sound issue
Silver Problem Solver

@Pfrwatlans wrote:
Can anyone with the 4K box tell me how the audio is? I have read a couple other forum threads that the Tv or audio receiver have to be turned up considerably more to get a comparable volume to the old X1. I don’t want to fix one problem only to have a sound issue

I am using mine with an older Vizio 1080p TV.  I've never had an issue with sound.  I got the 4k box for my bedroom so my wife could listen to TV with her bluetooth headphones late at night.  She has never had an issue with them except for having difficulty pairing the headphones at first.  Apparently, later firmware updates resolved that issue.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I didn't notice any difference with the audio level with the new 4k box compared to my old box.

Expert

@Pfrwatlans wrote:

adding... X1 ouputs digital audio stream on the HDMI cable. it is not analog and is an identical audio recording as the producer of the material attached to the video. there is no processing etc it is pure digital. the device receiving the digital stream handles converting the digital stream into actual audio. This is not like the 0db 1volt peak to peak analog audio signals at all.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I'm sure some of you have already know this, but I was not aware of it unitl Comcast Morgan suggested it to me in a PM.  In addition to simply restarting you X1 box, you can also reset the Netflix app itself.  It's in the help menu you get to by pressing A on your remote.  After resetting the app and signing-in to Netflix again, I noticed the app looked different, as if it downloaded a newer version.  I then watched an episode of a show that I know was stuttering for me before.  This time it looked almost perfect.  I say 'almost' because I felt like I might have seen one or two minor glitches, but it might have only been because I was looking for it.  But it was definitely better than before.

Official Employee

Hi @Nightwolf

Thanks for sharing the steps you took to fix this issue on your end. I also rest my Netflix and noticed a newer version as well. I'm hoping the information you provided helps others who are having this issue as well. Let us know if you need any assistance in the future. 

Regular Visitor

I've had X1 for less than a week and I too have noticed the Netflix studder issue on my DVR device.  Very concerning that the issue has been around for months and there is no resolution.  This is exactly why I don't sign contracts when I pick my television and internet providers.  

Official Employee

Hi @YardleyFFL

Sorry for the experience you're having. Can you follow the advice @Nightwolf mentioned to see if this helps you as well? 

Press the A button on your remote, scroll over to the option to "Reset Netflix".

Regular Visitor

I have tried those exact directions, but it has not improved my Netflix issues.

Official Employee

Thanks for letting me know. Can I check your account to see what could be causing your problem? Please send me a message by clicking on my name, "ComcastChe" then click send a message. In the body of this message please verify your first and last name, and the name of the account holder if it's different than yours. 

Frequent Visitor

I tried resetting netflix multiple times on multiple boxes to no avail.  Getting a 4k box was the solution.

Regular Visitor

I'm not sure my setup is 4k compatible with the 4k box despite having a 4k tv.  Not sure if my HDMI cable which is in the wall is 4k compatible and I also run optical cable from the tv to the soundbar so I'm thinking I'm not going to be able to watch 4k netflix through the new 4k box with my current setup.  Does the 4k box support regular HD just as well as the HD box?  

Contributor

Yes, you can set the 4k box to output 1080 (and other resolutions).  They do make adapters to extract audio from HDMI but that sounds a bit like a Rube Goldberg kind of solution.  I would bet that Comcast can get this sorted out  on the none 4k boxes eventually.

Contributor

I reset the Netflix app. It did make a difference- it is a lot better, but still not as smooth as 2 months ago.

Note: I have reset the app many times since the end of October- it never helped.

For some reason doing on Friday 12/4 showed improvement. I am hoping this problem will get remedied so it is as smooth as it was before the end of October.

Contributor

Just discovered this thread after a Google search for Netflix Stutter.  I'm in New Jersey and have been having the same problem for several weeks.  Had techs out to the house 3 separate times, to no avail.  Moreover, none had heard of the problem.  Apparently, they don't check this forum or Comcast employees on this forum don't pass along the information where it could be disseminated properly.  The first tech swapped out my DVR box (the only one with the stutter), which left me worse off than before.  My DVR was 85% full or programming and, despite assurances it could all be retrieved from the cloud, only 5% came back.  I can't use a box without optical audio output due to my Sonos soundbar setup.  Took me three home visits to get a supervisor out as I requested, but he was of no help, either.  I've done all the usual troubleshooting steps, and the techs even replaced every cable and connection.  Very frustrating.

Frequent Visitor

I sent a private message to ComcastMorgan but I figured I’d add my 2 cents here too. I’ve been having the same issue many of you have had - starting a couple months ago. I get video stutter with Netflix app on X1 DVR. The audio is fine but the video is not good and almost unwatchable. A month or so ago I refreshed the Netflix app and did a System Refresh and didn’t seem to make much of a difference. Lately the stutter seemed to be a bit better but still not good. No issues with Netflix on any other devices. I have no issues with Prime Video app through the X1.

I decided to refresh the Netflix app again today and did a System Refresh. When I went back to watch something on Netflix app the stutter was even worse - much worse. I then refreshed the Netflix app again and still the stutter is worse. So much for trying to make it better. FYI - I live in the Seattle area. This is definitely an Xfinity issue and sounds like I may need to get a 4K box to fix it.

Frequent Visitor

One other thing I’ve noticed recently is if I play Netflix app (same thing with Prime Video app) on one of my remote boxes, when watching TV on my main X1 DVR box the video stutters (again no audio issues).

It does seem to stutter more when there is faster movement playing.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue here in NJ... I have one DVR box... If I watch Netflix on the Xfinity box it stutters but if I access Netflix Xbox or smart TV it's perfectly fine
Silver Problem Solver

@mdworkin777 wrote:
I'm having the same issue here in NJ... I have one DVR box... If I watch Netflix on the Xfinity box it stutters but if I access Netflix Xbox or smart TV it's perfectly fine

Anybody try a System Refresh?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-system-refresh

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Yes, many times
New Poster

Thought this was just Netflix but after ordering Acorn TV it’s also jerking, I am trying to watch these streaming networks through the cable box apps, no problems watching either on my Blu-ray player. What’s odd is the Amazon Prime app has NO issues. Cable networks and DVR have NO issues. Gonna have to cancel Acorn TV from Xfinity and order it through Prime. Acorn TV is unwatchable on Xfinity cable box. I would suggest you fix your BUGS Xfinity, your losing money every day, people will go eslewhere cause we have OPTIONS now, just saying 😮
Contributor

Yes, many times
Official Employee

Hi everyone. If you're experiencing a problem with only the Netflix service via the app on an X1 DVR, it's recommended that you send me a private message including your name so I can check your premise signal strength, some other coding in our system, and open a request for tracking if it all comes back OK. 

Regular Visitor

Happening to me since about Thanksgiving. Only on DVR main box.

It doe not happen on my other box. Also, when other box is playing Netflix or on demand, live tv on the main box also stutters.

Official Employee

Hi @Bill2489

Thanks for letting us know you've been experiencing the stutter on Netflix as well. I can take a deeper look into your account to see if I can help find a cause. Can you please send me a private message with your first and last name? 

To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message.

Regular Visitor

I failed to mention in may earlier post that I am in the Atlanta area. I did schedule for a technician to come out to my house and he is supposed to have a new box. From what I have read, a 4k box seems to be the solution. So I will call so I am I right on just calling to have a 4k box sent to me and try that?

Regular Visitor

Posting to enable PM'ing.

Contributor

Also having the issue with the free trial of Acorn TV as mentioned in an earlier post. So it’s happening with Netflix and Acorn. Everything else including Amazon Prime works fine.
Official Employee

@Bill2489, that, or I can ship one if that's what you'd prefer. @Tooky61, Thanks for letting us know. I can check your account as well. Can you send me a private message with your first and last name? 

Regular Visitor

Re: Stuttering video

Hi, I am having the same issue with the Netflix stutter, in Chicago. I’ve tried all the troubleshooting steps listed here. I’m unable to PM you ComcastMorgan, as when I select your name, I don’t see an option to message you. Please advise. Thanks!
Official Employee

Hi @Jbutler333

I can assist you as well. Since you have created a public post now, you should be able to send a private message now. To message @ComcastMorgan or myself, click on our name, then click send a message on the right side. 

Regular Visitor

Thanks @ComcastChe. I PM’d you.

Official Employee

You're welcome. I'll pick it up now. 

Contributor

There is nothing wrong with our accounts.  Everything but Netflix and Acorn work fine just like they always have.  There is something wrong system wide with Xfinity.  Comcast needs to get their head out of the sand and figure this out.

Regular Visitor

I too am having the same issue with Netflix. It has probably been about 3 weeks. It is only occurring on the main DVR box that we have. Amazon video, On Demand etc are all working fine it’s just Netflix