Contributor

Re: Stuttering video

Same box here in NH.

Frequent Visitor

Re: netflix stutter

Ok found the model number. It is: Model:AX013ANM
Regular Visitor

Same thing is happening to me in Delray Beach, FL. Just watched Narcos Mexico and there was a lot of video stutter. The audio was fine. This has been happening for many weeks now. I also have the same thing happen with on demand (Walking Dead). Regular TV and shows recorded on the DVR are fine. This is getting real irritating. My box is MX011ANC. I just did a line speed test and get 180 down and 12 up, so plenty of bandwidth.

Official Employee

Hi everyone. Netflix content on X1 does utilize the internet service. There can be problems with the Netflix application stemming from various signals levels at your premise. That would be something we would need to review on this end, by having you send me the private message with your name. It would also be helpful to know if this is occurring on one Netflix asset for you all, if it occurs on multiple Netflix assets, or if it occurs on all Netflix assets through the cable box app. Also, for those of you that mentioned having a technician out and still continue to experience this problem, was your technician scheduled out because of the Netflix issue specifically or because of something else? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

It only happens on my X1 box. I can watch Netflix on my computer, phone and tablet without any issues. As I mentioned, the problem also occurs with on demand content viewed through my X1 box. 

Official Employee

Thanks, jaybfl. The X1 Netflix app video quality issues are completely separate from our regular video on demand platform and any quality issues that may be taking place there. Since you're experiencing both of those issues, it's an indication we're going to need to do some troubleshooting on your specific account and then likely send out a technician to your premise, depending on the result of that. You're welcome to send me a private message so we can get started. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

It doesn't sound like a technician has been able to help anyone else, so I am not going to waste my time. I just wanted to post to let Comcast know yet another person is having the problem in a completely different location.

Frequent Visitor

It only happens on the X1 DVR.  The XiD-P boxes we have work fine.  I even switched the DVR to the basement so I could move the XiD-P to the living room and the problem with the DVR is still there but the XiD-P now in the living room works fine.  I first had a tech out because I had a new install and one of the XiD-P boxes wouldn't register.  While there I had him look at the Netflix issue.  He said to wait a couple of days and it the problem did not go away, call his boss and they would come swap out the DVR.  They came a couple of days later and swapped out the box and the issue still persists.  

Frequent Visitor

Its only happening with the Netflix app on the set top box and watching the dvr recordings from the old box on the new box. Any dvr recordings made on the new box and regular tv is fine. On my Smart TV streaming Netflix is fine.
Regular Visitor

I'm also experiencing the same issue on my X1 TV Box (XG1-A).  Video has been glitchy/jumpy for the past few weeks now and only occurs when watching Netflix through the Xfinity App.

Official Employee

Hello all ~ Please send the requested private message (with your name) so I can check the equipment signal strength at your premise and then potentially open a request to have this looked into further on our end. Thank you. 

New Poster

I'm also experiencing the exact same issue in Michigan.  Netflix app stutters when played through Comcast X1.  No problems with other video sources or when playing Netflix through Blu-Ray.

Official Employee

Hi, pandora69. Please send me a private message with the requested information so I can assist you further.

New Poster

Same problem with X1 box here in MA. All other Netflix apps on other boxes are fine. Started about 3-4 weeks ago. Tried box reset, didn’t work. Hard to believe Comcast hasn’t resolved yet. Hardly and isolated incident based on this string....
Regular Visitor

Same problem here.  Started about 4 weeks ago when watching Netflix through the Netflix app on my X1 DVR.  Does not happen when using the Netflix app on my XiD-P box or when watching Netflix through my bluray.  Stutters every 10 seconds or so.  Spoke with 3 different Xfinity departments and they said all tests looked good.  Sent out a technician who replaced my box.  I still have the stutter. 

New Poster

Same problem here in Denver.  It started about the same time as everybody else.  It would be nice if Xfinity could pinpoint the time when it all went bad, and see what change they made on that day.

I wouldn't be surprised it they tried to throw on some bandwidth limiting or something, and didn't realize the problem because the video quality other than the stuttering still looks fine.

Silver Problem Solver

@davesherman10 wrote:

Same problem here in Denver.  It started about the same time as everybody else.  It would be nice if Xfinity could pinpoint the time when it all went bad, and see what change they made on that day.

I wouldn't be surprised it they tried to throw on some bandwidth limiting or something, and didn't realize the problem because the video quality other than the stuttering still looks fine.

Does it happen with any content you select?  I want to run a test with my DVR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Same issue in CO. Only happens on main X1 box. Does not happen on satellite boxes or PC or DVD, just main xfinity box. Slight glitch every 10 seconds or so. Been going on for about a month. Tried resetting Netflix and box, did not resolve. All other settings are ok.
Regular Visitor

Try Narcos Mexico on Netflix. The stutter occurred for me in both episodes 1 and 2. I watched Trevor Noah Son of Patricia last night and there wasn't any stutter problem. Maybe it specific to certain shows/video. 

Contributor

It's various shows.  Has anyone responded to Comcast Morgan with the information he requested?  If so, Comcast Morgan, what have you found?  This needs to get fixed sooner or later and I am throughly convinced that it's on Comcast's end and not ours.

Frequent Visitor

I responded to Morgan.  He said everything looked fine from his end so he opened a ticket.   I got a call from xfinity telling me to reset netflix which I had previously told them I already performed.   They seem very determined not to accept the fact it is something they did to the X1 DVR software.  I told them I already reset Netflix, unplugged X1, rebooted X1, changed cables, moved box to another room where non DVR X1 worked fine and even had the X1 DVR box swapped out with a new one and problem still there.

Contributor

tech came out today. Replaced my box with a much smaller one.  Netflix starts up faster and doesn't stutter anymore.

Silver Problem Solver

Which model?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Official Employee

Tooky61 ~ If your premise passes signal level tests, the process is to have this looked into and researched further on our end by opening up a request. We are not necessarily saying it's an issue on your end. We're seeing a trend and opening up service requests at this time to follow the trouble you're experiencing. 

New Poster

same here,,, Boynton Beach FL  

started about a week ago  mid nov 2018

New Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@davesherman10 wrote:

As far as I can tell, it has happened with everything that I've watched since early November.

Making a Murderer Season 2

Creep 2  (movie)

Requiem Season 1

and probably a few other things here and there

Regular Visitor

This is happening with my X1 Box as well and started about the same time as everyone else with the same symptoms.  Netflix works fine on my Roku and XBOX One.  I hope it gets fixed because it was convenient to use Netflix from the Xfinity box.

Silver Problem Solver

@davesherman10 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@davesherman10 wrote:

As far as I can tell, it has happened with everything that I've watched since early November.

Making a Murderer Season 2

Creep 2  (movie)

Requiem Season 1

and probably a few other things here and there

I forgot to try those; I watched a different show last night.  I will try those tonight.

Frequent Visitor

I had a tech come out today to troubleshoot the Netflix stutter.  He checked everything, ran tests, called people and the issue still persisted.  He was about to give up but then decided to switch out  the X1 box with a 4k box as a last resort.  I had already had the non 4k box swapped out and the problem was still there.  Swapping out the X1 with a 4K box fixed the issue.  Just fyi, my TV is not 4K.

Official Employee

Thank you for posting an update, Orampc. Much appreciated! 

Contributor

Same, 4k box is what I got last sunday. No issues

Frequent Visitor

Same here.  Replaced XG1-A with XG1v4-A and no more stutters.

Contributor

So is the answer that we all have to make time for a tech to come out to give us a 4k box?  Seems like another solution is in order.

Expert

@Tooky61 wrote:

So is the answer that we all have to make time for a tech to come out to give us a 4k box?  Seems like another solution is in order.

There is another solution. They could send you a "self install" kit so you could install the 4K DVR yourself. If you should fail to get it to work with with only the usual cable-box install, you would be required to pay the charge to get the box installed properly.

I guess you need to decide if your current cable installation is good enough to meet the better signal required for 4K, or at least 1080p.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Or maybe Comcast could investigate what update broke the existing X1 boxes....
Contributor

Right answer!!
Expert

@Tooky61 wrote:
Right answer!!

Nope!

They are working on the problem with the older boxes.

Anyone can exchange their current DVR for the 4K DVR at no charge, and eliminate the problem now. Or they can do as I do and get the apps for 1080p (Blu-Ray quality), or 4K, or even 8K, for IPV (Broadband) using the apps found on my television. I don't currently need any X1 series of cable-boxes.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Can an offical Comcast employee give us a timeframe on a fix?
Official Employee

Hello all. Opening a ticket/request is the way we investigate things like this on the back-end when we've determined it's not yet a known issue declared by our engineers, etc. We can see here what a current workaround is, but we do not have a specific time frame on a fix for any previous firmware update to the equipment. If that changes, we will post an update here. Thank you. 

Frequent Visitor

I have to say that the customer service at Xfinity has been stellar.  I just switched from Directv to Xfinity for TV.  From the original techs that came out to the Comcast employees on this site, everyone has really tried hard to help me with the problem.  

Frequent Visitor

Comcast Morgan: would you be able to confirm that a firmware fix is being worked on?
Official Employee

We are very pleased to hear that, Orampc. We're glad to hear about your positive experiences with us and we'll be happy to continue assisting you with your needs/concerns here going forward as well. Smiley Happy

Pfrwatlans ~ Right now, we are still opening requests for further investigation. There is no firmware fix I have been made aware of coming down the pipeline just yet.

Regular Visitor

Comcast  Morgan,

Thank you for your replies.  I am hesitant to open a ticket because I don't want to go through the whole "reboot your box, restart netflix" stuff and have a technician come out who won't be able to do anything about it (except I guess replace the box with a 4k?).    I can give you information and even include a video of the netflix app doing this.  I hope this is being looked in to.

I'm guessing that there won't be a whole lot of complaints about this because it can be subtle at times.  It's mostly noticeable when there is a lot of motion, like the camera panning or something moving across the screen.   I've caught it doing it most noticeably a couple times as a scene changes.  You'll see it change to scene Y, then suddenly it'll revert back to scene X for a frame or two, then back to scene Y again.

Contributor

The 4k box is nice, even if you don't have 4k. its more responsive. The menus work faster.  Netflix app loads way faster.  Its just a better box imo

Regular Visitor

that may be so, but I don't want to jump through hoops to get a new box that I don't need.  I'd just like to see the problem fixed.

Contributor

I agree Zuma.

Frequent Visitor

I also agree
Valued Contributor

@ComcastMorgan wrote:

We are very pleased to hear that, Orampc. We're glad to hear about your positive experiences with us and we'll be happy to continue assisting you with your needs/concerns here going forward as well. Smiley Happy

Pfrwatlans ~ Right now, we are still opening requests for further investigation. There is no firmware fix I have been made aware of coming down the pipeline just yet.

Morgan,

I've seen the issue as well. Since others have upgraded the equipment in order to fix the problem, does this mean previous box models are underpowered to handle the processing of streaming media? Has anyone in comcast labs ben able to confirm the stutter by running a test on one of the boxes? I figure that's the only way for them to see what the customer is reporting.

Official Employee

In the requests, we're able to notate what steps you've already completed. As far as duplicating the issue goes, I (and many other colleagues in various areas of the US) have tested the Netflix app through the X1 DVR box and we are not able to duplicate the issue. This is why we're emphasizing the importance of opening the request so we can see where exactly the trend is stemming from, why that is, and formulate a plan to fix it. 

New Poster

I've been experiencing Netflix stutter ONLY on my X1 DVR in just the past few weeks. It plays fine on my non-DVR boxes. Has there been any progress on a remedy. ("No known issues" no longer works as this ever-expanding string clearly demonstrates.)