Community Forum

netflix stutter

Contributor

netflix stutter

Only happens when I watch netflix on my xfinity box.  If I watch it on my computer I get no stutter.

This just started happening a few days ago.  I'd never get stutter watching netflix

I already reset the netflix app.  Refreshed the box, turned the box off and on again.

Expert

Re: netflix stutter

@Galvin wrote:

Only happens when I watch netflix on my xfinity box.  If I watch it on my computer I get no stutter.

This just started happening a few days ago.  I'd never get stutter watching netflix

I already reset the netflix app.  Refreshed the box, turned the box off and on again.

do you have more than one set top box? if so, same issue on the other(s)?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Just one box

Expert

I have escalated your issue to the Comcast Team available to these forums. Check back often for a reply in this thread from a Comcast Official Employee.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi, Galvin. Thanks for posting and for letting us know what you've already done to try and solve this. Has anything physically changed at your premise recently, like moving the box to a different cable out? Have you checked your cable cord connections? Even the slightest adjustment can make a big difference. I imagine all of the other services work fine through the box, besides Netflix?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

Yes everything is fine, I did notice some minor stutter thru streaming ondemand stuff.  But not as bad as netflix

My shows that I recorded play back with no issues.

Frequent Visitor

I just wanted to add that I too have noticed the same Netflix stutter on my X1 box begining approximately a couple of weeks ago.  I have another TV thats gets its Netflix via direct network and it does not stutter at all.  I thought it might be useful to know that it is happening to others.

New Poster

I'm having the same issue and it started about 2 weeks ago. I've tried all the cable connection tips had a Comcast technician come to my house replace the TV box and still see the same issue. The technician acknowledged there is an issue with the Netflix app but it doesn't seem to be consistent in all regions. I'm in Napa and have this issue.

If I use my Blu-ray player to launch the Netflix app I do not have any stuttering issues.
Contributor

Same issue here.  I specifically searched in this forum to see if it was just me, and now I see it's not.  Now the question is, is it a signal problem, or is my X1 box going bad.  I've also noticed some glitches in my recordings lately.  Could it be the hard drive?  But that shouldn't affect Netflix, right?

Official Employee

There are a few potential contributing factors. We handle accounts all across the US and I checked our national board that we have and keep updated and it's not a known issue. Clearly you all are having problems with this box application, but what is causing it for one person isn't necessarily causing it for another person. For issues like this, we generally check premise signal strength, splitters, cable box firmware, things like that. It's generally not a hardware issue. How long has this been going on for everyone, about two weeks then?

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

I'll just swap the box out for another one.  This box is new just got it this summer.  But thats the best way to rule out an issue.  If it happens on the new box, then its something else. But eliminating the box as the problem is the next best for me to do. I'll get back when I've done this.

Official Employee

Galvin ~ I wouldn't recommend swapping out the box, as it's unlikely swapping hardware would fix this issue. You're welcome to send me a private message with your name so I can check your cable box firmware and view a few other diagnostics on this end.

Frequent Visitor

I have just updated/replaced my XG1-A to a brand new XG1v4 (not because of the Netflix stutter, but rather for the 4k) and my SD Netflix no longer stutters.  And 4k Netflix does not stutter either. (of course the XG1-A could not do 4k so that is not offered as a comparison)  I don't know if that helps any for troubleshooting.

New Poster

I am currently experiencing the same issue.  Only on my X1 box, not when I use my Apple Tv on the same set.  Any suggestions?

Frequent Visitor

Been having the same issue with Netflix for about 3 weeks.  Only happens on the main X1 box.  If anyone finds a solution please post.

New Poster

I have the same issue happening to me as well. Just the main set top box.
Official Employee

Hi, Lemingeric. Welcome and thanks for posting! If you have gone through basic troubleshooting and are still experiencing the trouble, please send me a private message with your name an best contact number. I'll check the signal strength of your cable box and possibly open up a request.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you.

Frequent Visitor

Same here. Reset Netflix, dvr has been restarted multiple times since this began. When is comcast going to address and fix this?
Frequent Visitor

Stuttering video

It seems I'm nowhere near the first person to have problems with stuttering video on Netflix in the past couple weeks. When can we expect a resolution?
Expert

Re: Stuttering video

@MattLawson wrote:
It seems I'm nowhere near the first person to have problems with stuttering video on Netflix in the past couple weeks. When can we expect a resolution?

Does this happen on all of your set top boxes? Do you have a DVR (XG1) or Companion XG2? does netflix work on them but not on an Xi3/XiD without the stuttering? do voice command 'about" and reply with the letters/numbers after "STB version" (just that line).

Frequent Visitor

I pet much just watch on the dvr. STB version is MX011AN_3.2p6s1_prod_sey
Expert

@MattLawson wrote:
I pet much just watch on the dvr. STB version is MX011AN_3.2p6s1_prod_sey

do you have other set top boxes? do they do the same (if so)?

Frequent Visitor

I have an HD box that's just the worst, but rarely ever user the tv because half the time I have to disconnect/reconnect the power so it will change channels or bring up Netflix
Frequent Visitor

Here's another weird one. I'm currently watching the dvr, but it shows as disconnected in the my account app. Using the signal check it's fully lit as green

Edit: this appears to be intermittent
Contributor

The stuttering isn't as bad as it was a few weeks ago.  It happens around every 10secs, but when you first start watching a netflix show the first 10seconds or so it stutters a lot.

This is still on the cable box

netflix doesn't stutter on the computer though. Just tested today

Regular Visitor

I am experiencing the same issues. First noticed about 2-3 weeks ago. I only have the one box. Everything else seems ok.
New Poster

Annoying stutter/jerky Netflix though X1 box here as well. About 3 weeks now. X1 box 1 year old. Netflix via phone, desktop, Chromecast, Roku etc works great. Any solutions?
New Poster

Annoying stutter/jerky Netflix though X1 box here as well. About 3 weeks now X1 box 1 year old. Netflix via phone, desktop, Chromecast, Roku etc works great. Any solutions?ATL GA
Contributor

Exact same issue in NH.  Everything else works fine.

New Poster

Same issue in Philly - (Comcast HQ). Pay a high bill to comcast and get the same quality of get over the top - hopefully Comcast will address this ASAP. Any chance the repeal of net neutrality this year is haunting anyone not paying premium Comcast or Netflix fees?
New Poster

My Netflix also began stuttering just a few eeeks ago, but it only stutters on my DVR box. It does not stutter on the non-DVR boxes.
Frequent Visitor

I am in Lansing MI. Have the same issue. Started around the same time as everyone else. Seems to be worse the longer the program runs. Just got a new DVR box today , and that did not solve the issue
Frequent Visitor

I have a X1 DVR box
Contributor

I do also.

Frequent Visitor

Tonight I am wstching a recording from the old box on the new box ( I was told by the tech the recordings from the old box are on ghe cloud) I noticed the same stuttering and jittery motion that I see on Netflix. I hope this helps.
Silver Problem Solver

@Pfrwatlans wrote:
Tonight I am wstching a recording from the old box on the new box ( I was told by the tech the recordings from the old box are on ghe cloud) I noticed the same stuttering and jittery motion that I see on Netflix. I hope this helps.

Include the model names.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

Hi all.

The model/type of box is helpful to us, as RobertWy mentioned and also knowing whether or not you've already tried the process listed here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/netflix-x1-app-frozen, even though we know that the app doesn't seem to be frozen in this particular case. You can also access www.netflix.com/HdToggle and make sure the Playback Setting is set to Auto - Default video quality and data usage or High - Best video quality. After making changes, exit the Netflix app and relaunch. Please be aware that if the Playback Setting is on Low or Medium, the quality will be degraded on the X1 box. A regular reset/power cycle of the box is always good measure as well. 

If you've checked/tried the options listed above and continue to experience issues with this Netflix application, please send me a private message with your name so I can take a look at your account on this end and let you know what our options are.

To send a private message, please click my name "ComcastMorgan" then select "Send a Message" on the right side.

Thank you.

Contributor

With all due respect, from the posts in this thread this does not seem to be an indivudual box problem but more like a system issue.  It's happening to people in various regions and some switched out their boxes for new ones and the problem still persists.  I haven't tried to access Netflix in a few days and may try tonight to see if the problem is still there.

Thanks!

Official Employee

Hi there, Tooky61. When issues like this arise and it's not part of a declared/known issue that has been confirmed on our end, we often need to open requests (tickets) on each account. That can often help an issue of this nature be identified, pinpointed, and then addressed and resolved as a whole. It doesn't seem to be a hardware issue here, but it does seem to mostly be impacting DVR hubs - rather than the additional satellite boxes. 

You're welcome to provide an update upon checking the service and then we can start the request process afterward, as needed. Thank you.

Contributor

Makes sense, thank you for the explanation.

Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue.  I just got xfinity TV a couple of weeks ago.  I noticed the stutter and the techs came back out, checked everything and gave me a new box.  Stutter still there.

New Poster

I’m having the same issue. It appears to have started around the same time as everyone else. Also, I have no problems streaming from any other platform, just the X1 box.
Regular Visitor

I have the same problem.  Netflix stutters.  Restarted everything twice.  Netflix works fine on my Blu ray players.

Frequent Visitor

My dvr is a XG1-A
Frequent Visitor

you guys are killing it on the problem resolution. Asking which hardware is pointless because these ppl don't know what they have or what the model number is. "x1 dvr" "XG-1". They don't know that you need them to go to the about menu and list the correct number. Also, pushing out software upgrades you're only testing on current hardware is ridiculous. You should only be testing on the oldest hardware to ensure compatibility.

Frequent Visitor

If I had to guess, everyone in this thread is either, using the first arris boxes, OR, we're the only people who didn't just shake their heads and use their tv for netflix

Frequent Visitor

I just got Xfinity so I'm not using an old box.
Frequent Visitor

There is several numbers in the About menu- none say “model number”. What number should i be listing?
Contributor

The box I have I got it over the summer. So its fairly new.  Based on posts here. Swapping the box, having a tech coming out isn't going to fix it.

Regular Visitor

Same issue, started a few weeks ago and not all shows. Shows where did occur: Narcos Mexico Season 1 Ep 1 - 11/16/18 7pm. Buster Scruggs - 11/21 8pm & 11/22. 8 pm Have performed all your steps and have: Model #: MX011ANM ~ Arris XG1 Serial #: M11426TEA094 Location: Baltimore