twozags's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Sunday, April 7th, 2019 12:00 PM

Closed

Xfinity remote won’t change channels

Hi - I am a customer but staying at an AirBnB with Xfinity cable box and remote. Power, volume, mute functions all work but channels don’t. Can you help please?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@Jameshilton wrote:
Need help. Remote want change channel

unplug the set top box and after 15 seconds plug it back in. You can learn more about restarting your television box here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-reboot-my-set-top-box

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

X1 or legacy cable box?  What does remote say on back for code?

First thing:  power cycle cable box.  (Unplug power cord and then plug back in.)  Once box working again try the remote.  Working?

If no:

For an X1 box try this: hold setup till light on remote turns green, then hit Xfinity button.  Type 3 digit code.  Hit "skip" for the next two options.  Does it work now?  If not you probably need a tech.

For a legacy box, what kind of remote is it?  Silver or black?  If silver, make sure "cable" button is pushed before trying a channel change.  Work?  If yes, it could be that the "channel lock" feature is disabled (you'd have to google how to fix channel lock on a silver comcast remote).  If no, does it have an XR8 plugged into the back of the cable box?  If so, it could be malfunctioning.  XR8 is a device to allow radio frequency pairing between cable box and black remote instead of infrared.  If there you could try to re-pair it-->press button on XR8 and see that red light came on.  Now hold setup button on remote until light turns green then hit Xfinity.  You'll know it worked if you get a pattern of three green lights in a row at the end.  If it goes red green red it did not work (and may not work).  If it does not work remove the XR8 and that should resolve it. 

Hopefully that helps.......

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Need help. Remote want change channel

Official Employee

• 

8K Messages

5 years ago

Jameshilton, were you able to get the remote to respond with RustyBen's advice? 

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

No. After several reboots, remote still will not change the channel. Volume control and mute work.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

I’ve unplugged the box several times , no change

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Unplugged the box, no change

Official Employee

• 

1K Messages

5 years ago

It sounds like your remote is IR paired, not RF paired. Infrared versus radio frequency. Please trying following the prompts listed here: https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/remote-program-the-xr2-or-xr5-to-aim-anywhere according to your model of remote and let us know if you need futher support. Thank you!

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

What type box?  X1?  Legacy with blue colored guide?

What remote?

Once these questions are answered a fix can be pursued.

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

The box has a blue light on it and the remo is an XR15

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

5 years ago

Did you follow the link from @Comcast_Support posted above, it sounds like it may need a factory reset and start over. Do the voice commands work?

Contributor

• 

59 Messages

5 years ago

You have X1.

Try to deprogram your remote and then reprogram:

Hold down the "A" and "D" buttons until the light turns green on the remote, then hit 981. The light will flash blue three times. Next, point at the cable box front and hold down the Xfinity and "i" button at same time until the light turns green. A three digit number with a blue background should appear on screen. Type those numbers in and hit and then follow the prompts to reprogram the code for your tv (and then soundbar/av receiver if you have one).

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you, I will try that tonight

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

5 years ago

@dcmoot wrote:

Thank you, I will try that tonight

point anywhere 'link' is often 'lost' on the first boot (only) of new firmware download. reboot the box (disconnect from ac power for 20 seconds or so). fixed?

Regular Visitor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

My remote issue has been resolved.  The remote had lost pairing.  I was sent instructions on how to re-pair the remote and voila it works now.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here