Community Forum

Xfinity remote & TV remote turning off my Cable box each time I hit the power button

Highlighted
New Poster

Xfinity remote & TV remote turning off my Cable box each time I hit the power button

Recently switched cable boxes & each time I hit the power button on my Xfinity remote OR my Samsung TV remote, it cycles power to the cable box (i.e. full reboot, several minute wait). I've been on the phone with Comcast a lot, and traded in the cable box twice now for new ones. The issue persists.  Any ideas?

One clue is that this behavior only occurs if the TV has been off for a while (say more than 15 minutes).

I've disabled Anynet+ and any other Samsung technology that might be sending a signal down the HDMI cable, and also turned on / off the power saving settings on both the cable box & the TV & none of this has helped.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Xfinity remote & TV remote turning off my Cable box each time I hit the power button

@pmurti wrote:

Recently switched cable boxes & each time I hit the power button on my Xfinity remote OR my Samsung TV remote, it cycles power to the cable box (i.e. full reboot, several minute wait). I've been on the phone with Comcast a lot, and traded in the cable box twice now for new ones. The issue persists.  Any ideas?

One clue is that this behavior only occurs if the TV has been off for a while (say more than 15 minutes).

I've disabled Anynet+ and any other Samsung technology that might be sending a signal down the HDMI cable, and also turned on / off the power saving settings on both the cable box & the TV & none of this has helped.

do you by chance have both plugged into a 'smart' power strip?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Xfinity remote & TV remote turning off my Cable box each time I hit the power button

Hey Rustyben - no I thought about that - they are actually plugged into two different outlets on the wall now, not even on a power strip.

Highlighted
New Poster

One additional discovery - this happens even if I don't use the remote, but just turn on the TV using the button on the back of the TV. So it is definitely some form of signal being sent by the TV to the box via HDMI. Any ideas on how to disable this?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@pmurti wrote:

One additional discovery - this happens even if I don't use the remote, but just turn on the TV using the button on the back of the TV. So it is definitely some form of signal being sent by the TV to the box via HDMI. Any ideas on how to disable this?

See if this code search helps.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/remotes

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

As I pointed out above, this happens even if I don't use the remote...