Community Forum

Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

Expert

Re: xg1v4 box request

@Alamo_Bob wrote:

Is 4K content still limited to Netflix and the past Olympics?

Is there a thread to follow which announces new 4K content?

just recently it was announced that amazon video was to be added to the X1's internet apps. When it is live there will probably be an email like they sent for Youtube and Netflix. thanks for the question.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

Re: Xfinity 4k - XG1v4 Cable Box Availability

@cmac524 wrote:

@ComcastElla

can you assist in getting one of th 4K boxes in Boston area for me?

scroll back to 8/5 post by @ComcastElla and follow her directions. 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

agreed! Seems pretty silly to bother the upgrade since the only content that is available in 4K is Netflix and if you have a smart tv ijust access it that way. and tbh there isnt  a ton of 4K on Netflix to even warrent adding that to you subscription.....

Expert

@Anon641804 wrote:

agreed! Seems pretty silly to bother the upgrade since the only content that is available in 4K is Netflix and if you have a smart tv ijust access it that way. and tbh there isnt  a ton of 4K on Netflix to even warrent adding that to you subscription.....

it is your choice if you would like to (same price) upgrade to a set top box designed for your 4k/UHD TV. Seems like a good upgrade to me.

Expert

@Anon641804 wrote:

I love mine. The box itself is smaller, sleek, and relatively unobtrusive, especially if you dim or turn off the power indicator light. Plus you don't have to switch inputs or devices to access Netflix or YouTube (and soon Amazon Prime) when you're already watching on your Comcast box. 

And more importantly, it doesn't cost you any differently from a regular HD box. 

Regular Contributor

will the 4k box make the premiums availble in hd ? Smiley Happy

Silver Problem Solver

@Waqas1 wrote:

will the 4k box make the premiums availble in hd ? Smiley Happy

It works just like the other X1 boxes do.  If you are paying for HD content it will be available.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

will the 4k box make the premiums availble in hd ?
_________
Your lineup doesn’t change. Your west coast feeds are still the primary

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Contributor

It’s my understanding that this new 4K box only offers hdmi out whereas the regular hd  drv box also has the optical out; if that’s the case it’s not an upgrade  for me 

Regular Visitor

I have several programs set for DVR recording.  If I switch to the new box, will I have to reprogram my recordings or will the new box update itself once it's associated to my account?

Official Employee

Your schedule repopulates but only the last 60 hours of recordings will transfer over.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

After you get your new box set up, go to Settings / Device Settings / Sync DVR and then select “Sync DVR Now”.
All of your settings & recordings will appear.
Expert

@Anon641804 wrote:

It’s my understanding that this new 4K box only offers hdmi out whereas the regular hd  drv box also has the optical out; if that’s the case it’s not an upgrade  for me 

I'm trying to figure out how the limited old-technology that is outmoded since HDMI specs include full current and future audio features. the Optical is so limited and is not capable of carrying the more modern codecs. coaxial audio was supplanted by optical, and optical is supplanted by HDMI audio.

Regular Contributor

what are the advantages of the 4k box as far as "linear programming" is concerend?  will it at least up convert the 720p channels?  can it at least convert the premium channels from sd to hd?  the only advantage i see is a 4k netflix... but 4k netflix has been readily availble for quite sometime via a roku...

Contributor

I had to stop in to my local Comcast service center to drop off my replacement gateway and asked abt the 4K box. Currently the only viewable programming is on Netflix- which you will need to upgrade your Netflix subscription to the 4K option. And even with that there is only select program s offered. Also the 4K DVR box only has one hdmi out vs the x1 box also having an optical out.

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

what are the advantages of the 4k box as far as "linear programming" is concerend?  will it at least up convert the 720p channels?  can it at least convert the premium channels from sd to hd?  the only advantage i see is a 4k netflix... but 4k netflix has been readily availble for quite sometime via a roku...

if the connection is HDCP 2.2 compliant the X1 can deliver 4k content (currently by Netflix), including UHD. The industry (all digital cable companies) are moving toward streaming info delivery which will eventually be in better quality like 1080p or better. The upscale of SD to HD doesn't exist however some local broadcast channels of Movies! MeTV and Antenna TV have AFD formatting which delivers nearly full screen SD on HD screens. 

Regular Contributor

when can i expect these changes to take into effect?  do you think xfinity will eventually convert those sd premiums into hd?

Expert

@Anon641804 wrote:

I had to stop in to my local Comcast service center to drop off my replacement gateway and asked abt the 4K box. Currently the only viewable programming is on Netflix- which you will need to upgrade your Netflix subscription to the 4K option. And even with that there is only select program s offered. Also the 4K DVR box only has one hdmi out vs the x1 box also having an optical out.

Just wondering why you would want to use Toslink which is outmoded/limited/deprecated and has been replaced by digital HDMI with many more features/capabilities?

Expert

@Waqas1 wrote:

when can i expect these changes to take into effect?  do you think xfinity will eventually convert those sd premiums into hd?

it appears that 'channel' bandwidth is the issue (you can see HD TVland in TVgo sections of the portable devices for example). QAM transmission of video programming was an advanced technology when introduced but now is severely limited as compared to direct IPTV streaming. Nothing has been announced by Comcast but they are known to be the first major cable system to upgrade over technology changes. Will be great to watch the changes in next year or two.

Regular Contributor

IPTV as in Xfinity stream?  xfinity stream is decent.. i don't know why they don't upgrade it (esp on Roku) to include the TVGO channels.. which are in hd... 

Silver Problem Solver

@Waqas1 wrote:

They will convert when the content providers convert.  Comcast has no control over that.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

Re: Xfinity XG1v4 TV Box

I'd like the new 4K dvr please.. will send PM with info. Thank you!

@ComcastElla wrote:

Hello all,

Just a reminder.  If you place an order through our team here on XFINITY Help & Support Forums  - we don't charge a shipping fee. However, when we send a new DVR cable box, the billing system automatically adds an "Additional Outlet" charge because you technically have two active DVR cable boxes on the account. As soon as you return the old DVR - the system will automatically prorate the charge and apply a credit. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you would like to get a 4K DVR please post publicly in this thread to enable the PM feature. Then please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Regular Visitor

I'd like to get the 4K box, but I don't see the PM option when clicking on your name.

Expert

@rmbgold22 wrote:

I'd like to get the 4K box, but I don't see the PM option when clicking on your name.

Did you click on the Comcast Ella shown in Blue on the post just before your's? Comcast employess work regular shifts like everyone else. She most likely needs to be a work to enable your PM before you can Message her, and she can help you.

Silver Problem Solver

@rmbgold22 wrote:

Send a message-2.jpg

Can you see the "Send a message" in the upper right-hand side of this picture?

Regular Visitor

I see it now! Thanks guys

Expert

Adding to RoberyWy's post. The "Message" box will show when your PM is enabled to reply is enabled most likely sometime later today.

New Poster

I would like to get a self install kit for the XG1v4...the 4k cable box. How do I do that?

Silver Problem Solver

@terryjmster wrote:

I would like to get a self install kit for the XG1v4...the 4k cable box. How do I do that?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Xfinity-4k-XG1v4-Cable-Box-Availability/m-p/3056493/highlight/true#...

New Poster

Replying to enable PMs - will send information directly for new box order.  Thanks!

New Poster

Replying for PM's.

Silver Problem Solver

@cbkcc1 wrote:

Replying for PM's.

I got my first one by calling 1800comcast.

Two months later I got a second 4k by calling 1800comcast.

New Poster

i already have a xg1v4 box on my 4k tv upstairs, i have another 4k tv downstairs but was told i have to pay 20$ extra if i want another 4k box because its a dvr. why would i pay for 2 dvrs?? how come they only make the 4k boxes in the dvr?i think thats pretty stupid. they should have a 4k non dvr.. 

Official Employee

There is one, in limited release, called the Xi6. YMMV, so for now, if you want a 4K box you’ll either need another 4K DVR or patiently wait for the Xi6’s wider release

Regular Visitor

I would like a xfinity xg1v4 tv box.

Silver Problem Solver

@kylesitto75 wrote:

I would like a xfinity xg1v4 tv box.

I got one on two separate occasions by calling 1800comcast.  I might be in a market that has them, so YMMV.

Regular Visitor

Hi, posting to enable PM feature Thanks!
Silver Problem Solver

@JAREDVENEZIA wrote:
Hi, posting to enable PM feature Thanks!

I got one on two separate occasions by calling 1800comcast.  I might be in a market that has them, so YMMV.

New Poster

Post to pm
Regular Visitor

ComcastElla... I'd like one of the XG1v4 boxes.

@ComcastElla wrote:

Hello all,

Just a reminder.  If you place an order through our team here on XFINITY Help & Support Forums  - we don't charge a shipping fee. However, when we send a new DVR cable box, the billing system automatically adds an "Additional Outlet" charge because you technically have two active DVR cable boxes on the account. As soon as you return the old DVR - the system will automatically prorate the charge and apply a credit. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. If you would like to get a 4K DVR please post publicly in this thread to enable the PM feature. Then please send me a private message with your full name, the account holder's name as it's listed on the billing statement, a phone or an account number. Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  

Silver Problem Solver

@obscurius wrote:

ComcastElla... I'd like one of the XG1v4 boxes.

@ComcastElla wrote:

Hello all,

"Click on my name ComcastElla, then click Send a message.  "

New Poster

I would like to check my availability for the 4K XG1v4 box! I live in Tallahassee, FL
Tags (1)
Regular Contributor

Re: xg1v4 box request

enable PM

Regular Visitor

XG1 v4 Box

I would like to check on the availability of the XG1 v4 DVR box in my area. If it is available, would it possible to request a self-install kit?

Thanks

Official Employee

Re: XG1 v4 Box

Hi, cromm1 - Thank you for posting! Yes, I can submit a shipping request for a 4K DVR. Since we already have a conversation in PM, I will provide the details there. 

Regular Visitor

I don't see where to create a new post.

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

I also don't see where to private message COMCASTELLA. I would like to request the XG1v4 box.

Tags (1)
Expert

@BAPON wrote:

I also don't see where to private message COMCASTELLA. I would like to request the XG1v4 box.

See that link above that says "Go To Best Answer"? 

Go there. 

Regular Visitor

EDIT: Finally was able to PM.  Guess it took a little time to activate that feature after my first posts.  Thanks for your help!

Sorry I don't see  "Go To Best Answer," nor a link above it!  This is the first time I'm using this forum. What I wanted to do is post my request for an XG1 v4 Box and PM my information to COMCASTSTELLA.  Doesn't seem like it should be this hard. 

Silver Problem Solver

@BAPON wrote:

Sorry I don't see  "Go To Best Answer," nor a link above it!  This is the first time I'm using this forum. What I wanted to do is post my request for an XG1 v4 Box and PM my information to COMCASTSTELLA.  Doesn't seem like it should be this hard. 

Does this help?

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/6404912