Community Forum

XR15 Remote is missing the “Replay” button

New Poster

XR15 Remote is missing the “Replay” button

I just got the new XR15 remote, after spending a few minutes looking over the remote and not finding the 15-second “Replay” button, I started just poking on and around it hoping that it was just relabeled. After not finding it, I looked up an FAQ online that said it was “removed on this remote due to customer feedback, as well as an effort to provide more functionality with fewer buttons.”

Regarding the effort to provide fewer buttons, they kept the lettered A, B, C, and D buttons that were on the XR11 remote (and never used) on the XR15 remote (which they will still never be used), there are four A, B, C, and D letter labeled buttons around the direction pad.

A - Instant access to Help settings. (Settings I rarely need to get to, and can get to easily through the Xfinity button on that rare occasion.)

B - Instant access to Accessibility Settings. (See button A. These are settings I’ll rarely, if ever, need to access, and that can be easily accessed through the Xfinity button and Settings)

C - Launches Sports app and scores. (A button I will never use.)

D - Deletes a single DVR recording or multiple recording in a folder. (Another button I'll never use. Deleting can easily be done and should be done within the recordings list and interface, it doesn’t need a dedicated button)

So, in an effort to provide fewer buttons and more functionality, we have four dedicated, non-customizable buttons on the remote that will rarely, if ever, be used.

As for the one button that was used the most on the XR11 remote? The 15-second rewind-Replay button? It’s gone. Jeez.

I’m guessing that the customer feedback was a survey that asked if people used the replay button, to which people not knowing what it was said “No.”, and the people that do know what it is said, “Yes, all the time, in every show I watch!”. Apparently, the ignorant people who didn't know what the button was for won out over the people who actually use the button.

Here are my three most used functions that could actually benefit from a one-click shortcut button. “Replay”, “Recording List”, “Closed-Captioning On/Off”, but instead, these functions needed and still need multiple button presses to get to, and now the Replay function is nonexistent.

If these A, B, C, D buttons were customizable, and I could program them to my most used functions, things would be better, but dedicating them to rarely, if ever used functions, and removing the most used button on the new XR15 remote, makes the entire remote worthless. I’m going back to the XR11 remote.

Xfinity, if you’re listening, make those A, B, C, D buttons programmable in the settings, otherwise, this XR15 remote is useless.

If anyone knows of a secret or hidden trick to do a 15-second replay with the XR15 remote, please let me know.

Official Employee

Re: XR15 Remote is missing the “Replay” button

Set your remote to 30 second skip, press exit 3 times and 0030. Pg up is 30 seconds ahead and pg down is 15 seconds back.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

What if I did that and decided later to set it back to the default? How would I do that? Thanks.
Silver Problem Solver

@Anon1464678 wrote:
What if I did that and decided later to set it back to the default? How would I do that? Thanks.

Google:

"For remotes without a Setup button (XR15 version of the X1 Voice Remote): Press and hold the A (triangle) and D (diamond) buttons on the remote for three seconds until the status LED changes from red to green. Enter 9-8-1 on the remote. If the status LED blinks blue twice, you have successfully reset your remote."

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Official Employee

The default is 5 minutes. Exit 3 times and 0500

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

As a Comcast employee, do you think it’s smart to give help while being condescending?
New Poster

Just tried to so exactly as you said three times, (Press Exit 3 times, then 0030) and no change with my XR-15 remote. Just looking for an answer, not sarcasm. (I'm a former Comcast Employee and I would never have answered a question with a snide comment...shame) I also agree with the original post that the A, B, C, D buttons are nearly worthless. I have only used the D button over the last few years to delete random shows. But it's an insult to people with hearing issues who sometimes need to repeat something said on TV to remove the dedicated replay button. So is there another solution to the above instructions or is there a missing step? Polite help requested.

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Set your remote to 30 second skip, press exit 3 times and 0030. Pg up is 30 seconds ahead and pg down is 15 seconds back. A forum search would’ve saved a lot of heartache and typing.

Expert

@Guilelessart wrote:

Just tried to so exactly as you said three times, (Press Exit 3 times, then 0030) and no change with my XR-15 remote. Just looking for an answer, not sarcasm. (I'm a former Comcast Employee and I would never have answered a question with a snide comment...shame) I also agree with the original post that the A, B, C, D buttons are nearly worthless. I have only used the D button over the last few years to delete random shows. But it's an insult to people with hearing issues who sometimes need to repeat something said on TV to remove the dedicated replay button. So is there another solution to the above instructions or is there a missing step? Polite help requested.

@ComcastAndrew wrote:
Set your remote to 30 second skip, press exit 3 times and 0030. Pg up is 30 seconds ahead and pg down is 15 seconds back. A forum search would’ve saved a lot of heartache and typing.

the code is right and the skip will change to 30 seconds forward (page up) and 15 seconds back (page down). (approximately).

the screen will appear to look as if it is changing channels. the change is not 'to' the remote it is changing the function in the X1 set top box. the remote must be seen by the set top box to make the change.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Hit the voice control and say “instant replay”
Regular Visitor

Excellent and accurate post! Letter buttons should have been programmable

I used the 15 sec replay button all the time. Poor survey, now 4 button presses vs 1?  Comcast really blew it on this one. I, too, have gone back to my XR11!

Expert

@hchmail wrote:

Excellent and accurate post! Letter buttons should have been programmable

I used the 15 sec replay button all the time. Poor survey, now 4 button presses vs 1?  Comcast really blew it on this one. I, too, have gone back to my XR11!

have you tried setting the set top box page up/page down to 30 seconds and 15 seconds? (exit exit exit 0030). then the page up does the 15 second flash back and page down does the 30 second forward.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I tried the page down button and it goes back 5 minutes. Is there another solution to the 15 second back button - replay?

Silver Problem Solver

@jklance wrote:

I tried the page down button and it goes back 5 minutes. Is there another solution to the 15 second back button - replay?

No clue.

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Expert

@jklance wrote:

the procedure sets the set top box (not the remote) so any remote using that set top box will have page up = 30 seconds forward and page down 15 seconds back. press quickly exit exit exit 0030 ---- it will look like you are changing the channel hit the exit button to clear that channel change. 

Regular Visitor

I tried this reset and it work great! Thanks for the help.

New Poster

I totally agree! Instant 15 sec replay, closed caption on/off and seeing the recorded list are my top three as well (besides the basics like on/off and volume).
New Poster

Update: I tried the “Press Exit 3 times, then 0030” and that worked!
New Poster

If Exit Exit Exit 0030 doesn't work at first, try Exit Exit Exit 0500 immediately followed by Exit Exit Exit 0030. It worked for me.

Expert

@JPC66 wrote:

If Exit Exit Exit 0030 doesn't work at first, try Exit Exit Exit 0500 immediately followed by Exit Exit Exit 0030. It worked for me.

remember it is the set top box that is being 'programmed'. if unsuccessful, power unplug the set top box and then plug back in and enter the 0030 code.

New Poster

This does work, but as a later post mentions it will look like it is changing channels or going to previous. I selected a previously recorded program and verified it works. Will try exit 3 times and 0015 to see what happens. What threw me off was when it switched channel and looked like nothing happended.  Hope this helps...

Expert

@Jazzman1896 wrote:

This does work, but as a later post mentions it will look like it is changing channels or going to previous. I selected a previously recorded program and verified it works. Will try exit 3 times and 0015 to see what happens. What threw me off was when it switched channel and looked like nothing happended.  Hope this helps...

the 0030 sets forward to 30 seconds and rewind (page up/down) to 15 seconds. 

Regular Visitor

The exit exit exit 0030 worked. Thanks!
New Poster

Omg, I did this and it of course worked as you described, but did they always have that functionality or did it change? And thank you!
Expert

@TylerLordofDogs wrote:
Omg, I did this and it of course worked as you described, but did they always have that functionality or did it change? And thank you!

the code is programming the set top box not the remote. yes it has worked for years.

Contributor

Will the up/down buttons still work with the guide when not viewing a program?

Official Employee

Yes it will

Contributor

Is this not permanent?  Now my pg up/down buttons are back to large skips.  Pg up goes forward 10 minutes.  I'm not sure what pg down is doing as I'm not far enough in my recording at the moment.

Expert

@Mike20878 wrote:

Is this not permanent?  Now my pg up/down buttons are back to large skips.  Pg up goes forward 10 minutes.  I'm not sure what pg down is doing as I'm not far enough in my recording at the moment.

sounds like you are watching on-demand? try rebooting the set top box. 

New Poster

This article is amazing and hits on every point!

Official Employee

Hello all, thank you for posting on our forum. There has been some great information posted on this thread but if you cannot find an answer to your problem or if you have any further questions please click on this link or reach back out to me here. 

Regular Visitor

Completely agree with you, Thraex.  Probably my most used button on the old remotes paired with the X1.  Was great if someone next to you was talking in the middle of an important part of a TV program or movie.....or you mentally blank out.  Quick hit of the replay button and you're all caught up.  Can't believe someone decided no one used it.  I sure miss it now.

Regular Visitor

LOVE this, Andrew!  It works great.  Thank you!  Kind of surprised Comcast doesn't offer this information in it's regular X15 setup info.

Regular Visitor

You are so much less cynical than I am. My guess was that they did away with the 15-seconds-back button because it minimizes the need to rewatch commercials. You’re no doubt right—so I’ll just call it an unintended benefit.
New Poster

I cant figure out how to 👍🏽 this post, but EVERYTHING u said is COMPLETELY ACCURATE!! Now i know Im not alone! Bring bk the Replay button XFINITY and add the shortcuts aforementioned!!🤬🤬🤬
Official Employee

Cwatson1282, thanks for your feedback! I'll forward this to my leadership!

New Poster

Great post. I would like to see these "surveys" and data that was gathered to produce the decisions behind what was actually cost-reducing the new remote. I also never use A B C D buttons, although they may be helpful at times but no where as much as Replay. Yes, if those were programable would be a a great feature add, but of course will add cost. mr2000
New Poster

Agree completely!! I’m going to dump this remote soon if I can get the old one to work! That was the most important button next to power!!
Silver Problem Solver

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/get-to-know-xr11-remote

@Mrlemelin wrote:
Agree completely!! I’m going to dump this remote soon if I can get the old one to work! That was the most important button next to power!!

New Poster

Yes, I have done the exit exit exit 0030. My remote page down now goes back about half a second. I must hit page down several times to go back. Page up now goes forward half a second at a time also. I guess I will be content with that, but I do wish the A, B, C buttons could be reassigned. I always use D, but I could do without the A, B, C. Thanks for this forum.

Expert

@djdjowell wrote:

Yes, I have done the exit exit exit 0030. My remote page down now goes back about half a second. I must hit page down several times to go back. Page up now goes forward half a second at a time also. I guess I will be content with that, but I do wish the A, B, C buttons could be reassigned. I always use D, but I could do without the A, B, C. Thanks for this forum.

on your device use voice remote 'about' what is the rest of the line after STB Version?

New Poster

Ridiculous that they removed the replay button. Reprogrammed the page down for 15 sec, worked, but why should I lose the 5 min back functionality that I like? I just ordered two new XR11 remotes from Amazon. Pretty cheap, too. 

Official Employee

@Eodorka
The XR11’s are free at your local service center

Regular Visitor

On the XR15 can you do “exit exit exit 0045 or 0060” for a longer flashback/flash forward?

Official Employee

@hchmail
No it’s 0030 or 0500 only