Community Forum

XG1v4-A IR/RF Remote Control Question

Highlighted
New Poster

XG1v4-A IR/RF Remote Control Question

Hi Folks, just recieved a newer set top box the XG1v4-A. When I hooked it up I immediatly realized the remote was not working. I use a IR Extender as my older set top box is in another room. IR extender works flawlessly with older model box (Arris AX013ANM).

Just finished up a chat with Comcast and they informed me that the new XG1v4 box works with RF Technology. So my question is IR and RF Technolgy are different? What would I need to purchase if anything to allow me keep the box in another room but use my remote like I currently do? Thanks so much in advance for your time and help! 

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: XG1v4-A IR/RF Remote Control Question

Try turning off voice commands or did you try pairing the remote to the box and eliminate the extender or do you have the extended in the proper location on the box? Sorry, your post didn’t include what you tried.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for your reply! So I didn't even get past activation of the new box. Perhaps that's my problem? I basically hooked up the new box and attempted to put my account info in to activate the box but couldn't do so as the remote wasn't responding. I didn't proceed with activating it in fear the IR extender wouldn't work and my old box would become deactivated and I'd be in a pickle for TV. Hope that makes sense
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

The xg1v4 should accept IR commands but the receiver is at the lower right corner, not centered so you may have to adjust where your extender points.  Also once you have paired the remote it will use RF instead.  I think you can reset or unpair it, or you could use a universal remote like a Harmony.  Also, if you have a smartphone or tablet, the xfinity remote app should work from anywhere on your wifi.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

@cbaur88
You may have to go back and forth between the tv and where you have the box to key in the numbers needed for activation, your remote just can’t hit that range. You can’t hurt anything until it’s activated and then play with the extender. Or if you happen to have a known live cable and a different tv just to get it activated

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks!! Did some googling this morning and I did see where the IR receiver was located and many have complained about its poor location and size. I had my points directly in front of it and at one point I was able to poorly control the TV in the other room but its just not responsive enough. Think I'll try and activate it like @CCAndrew mentioned and try the RF. Does not matter if works using IR or RF as long as I am able to control the box in other room I am a happy camper. Thanks so much for the help and will report back!