CCGwen's profile

Contributor

• 

235 Messages

Monday, October 6th, 2014 2:00 PM

Closed

X1 Technical Issues

Welcome to the new "X1 Technical Issues" thread. We ask that you post all of your X1 related technical issues (Audio, Set Top Box, etc.) here. 

Below, you will find links to X1 Help articles that may assist you in resolving your technical issue:

Xfinity TV: Basic Troubleshooting

Find and Troubleshoot Error Codes

Thank you in advance for posting!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I found my mini cable connection was through a second splitter. I moved it to the same main cable splitter as the main box, connected immediately

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

8 years ago

My ESPN HD Channel 724 feed has been breaking up or stuttering for now about 3-4 weeks.

I had this happen before with NBC and NBCSN (Channels 703/723) in the past but they cleared up without doing anything from my side.

Anyone know what I can do to resolve this?  Anyone else also experiencing this issue?

I have 2 tv's hooked up with Comcast and both have the same issue w/ ESPN.

Expert

• 

18K Messages

8 years ago

@norcalneil wrote:

My ESPN HD Channel 724 feed has been breaking up or stuttering for now about 3-4 weeks.

I had this happen before with NBC and NBCSN (Channels 703/723) in the past but they cleared up without doing anything from my side.

Anyone know what I can do to resolve this?  Anyone else also experiencing this issue?

I have 2 tv's hooked up with Comcast and both have the same issue w/ ESPN.

Pixelation / break-up can be caused by loose connections.  Ensure all of your connections are tight.  If that doeesn't solve the issue, contact Comcast to get a Tech onsite to evaluate and make the necessary repairs.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

I installed three new xfinfity boxes two weeks ago.  we have experienced severe interruption of picture and sound, to include freezing of channel, on all three units.  We did not have these problems prior to the new installation.  Incoming service cables were not disturbed.  Is this a network issue, geograpical issue or specific house issue?

Contributor

• 

48 Messages

8 years ago

If it was loose connections wouldn't all my channels have issues rather than just one ?  I checked all the connections, and reconnected any lose ones, but still encoutnered the same issue.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

@rfisher23 wrote:

I installed three new xfinfity boxes two weeks ago.  we have experienced severe interruption of picture and sound, to include freezing of channel, on all three units.  We did not have these problems prior to the new installation.  Incoming service cables were not disturbed.  Is this a network issue, geograpical issue or specific house issue?

Review how your cable is configured. What worked for the previous boxes may not work for the X1 platform. Presently, the upstream signal on all 3 boxes are too high and out of spec. Check for an amp or reduce/remove any unneeded splitters.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

sports app extras aren't working,when I click on the sports app it brings up all the scores from the different sports and and when I click on football or NFL it brings up the different games but when I go to click on a game to see the stats the drop down little screen pops up but it doesn't show the extras option it just shows record or favorte. When I go to a different sport like baseball and it brings up the games and I click on a game it gives me the extras option. It's just the Football and NFL games that the extras I don't get that option. Is there a way to fix this or do I need to get a new box?

3 Attachments

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

Not a 100% but I don't think there's Extras until the regular season starts.

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

Thanks Andrew I'll wait till the regular seasn starts and let you know if it works than. I dont think that its the box than beaucause for all the other sports it brings up the extra option.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

I have 1 X1 DVR and 3 satelites boxes (I have a total of 8 outlet in the house). I also experience similar problem, NFL  Network and NBC HD tend to have 'pixelation' around primetime. I was 'fighting' this for awhile with Comcast, they even came out a run a new line in from the street. I have changed out spliters, check my cable, etc....you know, the standard battles. Long story short, I did the following this weekend to correct the issue including increase my Internet speed:

1. Bought a PTC 8 chanel amplifer and installed at the main drop.

2. Removed all the splitters since I dont need it any more with 8 channel output.

3. MAKE SURE THAT THE MoCA FILTER IS INSTALLED between the main cable drop and the input of the amplifier. Without this the X1 DVR box and the 3 satelite units didn't work properly even though there was plenty of signal's strength.

Everything is great now.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@nguyenmickey wrote:

I have 1 X1 DVR and 3 satelites boxes (I have a total of 8 outlet in the house). I also experience similar problem, NFL  Network and NBC HD tend to have 'pixelation' around primetime. I was 'fighting' this for awhile with Comcast, they even came out a run a new line in from the street. I have changed out spliters, check my cable, etc....you know, the standard battles. Long story short, I did the following this weekend to correct the issue including increase my Internet speed:

1. Bought a PTC 8 chanel amplifer and installed at the main drop.

2. Removed all the splitters since I dont need it any more with 8 channel output.

3. MAKE SURE THAT THE MoCA FILTER IS INSTALLED between the main cable drop and the input of the amplifier. Without this the X1 DVR box and the 3 satelite units didn't work properly even though there was plenty of signal's strength.

Everything is great now.

WOW......you sure went to a lot on your own to fix this issue. Shouldn't Comcast have done this for you even if you had to keep on them? We have pixelation on so many channels so now I fear they aren't going to be able to fix it and we sure aren't able to do what you did. Good work on your part but its THEIR SYSTEM at fault.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

8 years ago

Well, I am an EE (Electrical Engineer) so it helps for sure.If the signal was bad all the time on all the channel it probably would be easier to troubleshoot.

My signal seemto only degrade during primetime on 2 channels, NFL Network and NBC HD (406 and 432 here in Tallahassee). I can't show/confirm the Comcast tech my problem so they can't fix it if they don't see it.

I suppose, I could have Comcast added the amplifier but the few times that they did my wiring I ended up have to redo the work anyway (leaving the cable above the ground, using cheap components and not tidy up the wires and such). I figure if I am going to have redo what they did, I might as well do it the first time to save me the aggravation. Besides, they are only responsible for the signal 'outside' your home. It cost extra, if they have to troubleshoot inside the house.

As you probably already know, the X1 box seem to require a much stronger signal to work properly compare to the previous generation boxes. According to Comcast, they can only guarantee a 4-terminal splits (example: a 4-way splitter) for X1 box. Each split level reduce the signal by -3.5 dB. In addition to that the cable length also reduce the signal strength.

The best way to confirm that signal strength is the main cause is to split the main line using a 2-way split and go directly to the main box and see see if the pixelation stops. If it fixed it then it almost always the signal strength issue.

Contributor

• 

3.1K Messages

8 years ago

@nguyenmickey wrote:

Well, I am an EE (Electrical Engineer) so it helps for sure.If the signal was bad all the time on all the channel it probably would be easier to troubleshoot.

My signal seemto only degrade during primetime on 2 channels, NFL Network and NBC HD (406 and 432 here in Tallahassee). I can't show/confirm the Comcast tech my problem so they can't fix it if they don't see it.

I suppose, I could have Comcast added the amplifier but the few times that they did my wiring I ended up have to redo the work anyway (leaving the cable above the ground, using cheap components and not tidy up the wires and such). I figure if I am going to have redo what they did, I might as well do it the first time to save me the aggravation. Besides, they are only responsible for the signal 'outside' your home. It cost extra, if they have to troubleshoot inside the house.

As you probably already know, the X1 box seem to require a much stronger signal to work properly compare to the previous generation boxes. According to Comcast, they can only guarantee a 4-terminal splits (example: a 4-way splitter) for X1 box. Each split level reduce the signal by -3.5 dB. In addition to that the cable length also reduce the signal strength.

The best way to confirm that signal strength is the main cause is to split the main line using a 2-way split and go directly to the main box and see see if the pixelation stops. If it fixed it then it almost always the signal strength issue.

Your EE background is a blessing. I have a telcom network engr background and that doesn't help one iota! We have one X1 box and no splitters or sat. boxes and pixels come and go on network and cable stations and premiums. Drives us nuts.  Of course it won't happen if a tech comes. They better not charge me if they have to put a signal booster/ amplifier inside the house where the cable comes in if that is the issue.....!  We are on a dedicated drop as we don't live in a development.  I don't blame you for doing what you did to save aggravation and know that it was fixed! Good for you!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

@nguyenmickey wrote:

Check the signal levels on your dvr, your Upstream Signal levels are too high (57dbmv) should be under 51. In comparison your modem is at 51dbmv.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

8 years ago

@TerriB wrote:

@nguyenmickey wrote:

Your EE background is a blessing. I have a telcom network engr background and that doesn't help one iota! We have one X1 box and no splitters or sat. boxes and pixels come and go on network and cable stations and premiums. Drives us nuts.  Of course it won't happen if a tech comes. They better not charge me if they have to put a signal booster/ amplifier inside the house where the cable comes in if that is the issue.....!  We are on a dedicated drop as we don't live in a development.  I don't blame you for doing what you did to save aggravation and know that it was fixed! Good for you!

You have a splitter somewhere ( you have a modem too). No charge for amps but you don't need one for one device. Have a tech out to actually track down the cause.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here