Community Forum

X1 Intermittent Sound Cut Out Skipping Audio Issue

Frequent Visitor

X1 Intermittent Sound Cut Out Skipping Audio Issue

Hello! I am posting to hopefully help others in the same boat. I have been experiencing intermittent audio issues on my X1 DVR (not 4k). It would be so random and occur on live TV, on-demand as well as recorded shows, although it was usually worse during recorded shows and on-demand. Sometimes it would occur 6-10 times a minute. AARGH!! I checked the settings on my TV (Samsung 65" curved) as well as the Samsung soundbar and everything was set and connected just fine. Also, it only happens on this TV, not the two in the house connected to invidual HD boxes.

I did a ton or research and I FINALLY saw a suggestion in another post that immediately solved the issue: change the audio setting in the DVR to "Stereo" instead of the "Best Option" it auto-selects (Dolby 5.1 in my case.) As soon as I changed it, bam: no more glitchy audio. YAAAAY!

I hope this helps other people experiencing this extremely frustrating issue.

Expert

Re: X1 Intermittent Sound Cut Out Skipping Audio Issue

Unfortunately that solution also disables Dolby Digital 5.1, which diminishes your enjoyment of movies and other programming that supports this audio codec when you have supported equipment. Of course, if you don't have audio hardware that supports this, you can disable it. 

I had a similar problem some time back, and I was able to fix it by turning off HDMI Link /CEC in my TV, resetting it to factory defaults, and using the optical connector from my TV to my Dolby Digital 5.1 soundbar rather than the HDMI-ARC connector. Mind you, it only affected my XG1v4 box when I had the resolution set to 2160p60 on HDMI 5, which is the only port that supports that resolution. 

Nowadays, my Apple TV 4k is connected to that port.  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

Your present DVR (pace) has been known to have intermittent audio issues. Looks like you may have a new 4K dvr on the way?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi darkangelic,

Thanks for the reply. I will have to tinker with my TV setting again and try your solutions. Hopefully they work with my configuration!

Frequent Visitor

@CCAndrew wrote:
Your present DVR (pace) has been known to have intermittent audio issues. Looks like you may have a new 4K dvr on the way?

Hello Andrew,

Unfortunately, I tried the 4K box already and had issues getting picture to my Samsung 65" curved TV. I went through two boxes and even called a technician, who couldn't figure out the problem either. The signal wasn't coming through to the Samsung (he tested it on a portable monitor, and the TV in my bedroom was working just fine.) The set-up kept getting stuck after selecting the language on a screen that basically said to turn on the STB to continue. But, the remote wouldn't let me select the botton on the screen (my TV remote would select it, but nothing happened.) Then the TV would go black due to inactivity.

I just read in a different thread the culprit most likely is the CEC funtion on the Samsung TV. I'm going to go pick up another 4K box today and try disabling the CEC and hope it works!

Frequent Visitor

Hello Friends!

I have a few updates since my last post. The second 4K box I picked up didn't work on my Samsung 65" UHD TV, either. So, a tech came out that Saturday to troubleshoot. Long story short, he couldn't figure it out either and I ended keeping the HD DVR on my account since that one worked just fine....except for the still rampant audio glitches that only seem to happen on the Samsung; not the Visio or the Sceptre 4k TVs.

I read in a different thread the culprit most likely is the CEC/ARC funtion on the Samsung TV. I disabled the settings and the TV seemed to work fine for almost a week...then BAM! Audio glitches again. Meanwhile, I decided to give the 4K box another try since someone in another thread said it solved their problem with connecting the box to the Samsung TV. I picked another box up last week and instead of hooking it up to the Samsung, I hooked it up to the Sceptre in the bedroom. Lo and behold: the box connected with NO problems. I then hooked up the HD satellite box I had in the bedroom to the Samsung...and guess what? Hooked up with no problems. So far, no audio glitch problems. I even reenabled the CEC/ARC function and still no problems.

Fingers crossed...it's only been four days...LOL. But, hopefully hooking up the 4K box to my non-Samsung TV resolved the audio glitch problems for good. I'll post again should something change.

Regular Visitor

SOLVED Re: X1 Intermittent Sound Cut Out Skipping Audio Issue

I've been reading your problems and solutions with your TV, etc.  We've had a terrible time with ours for weeks.  Video has been cutting in and out and garbled like we were losing Internet connection and even the screen would go blank.  To make it worse, every few words were muted for several seconds.

I called Xfinity and got tired of waiting online for Tech Support.  I called back and tried the automated help.  I asked to connect with TV issues.  Big surprise, the automation said the Xfinity box was offline!  It looked like it was online but a reset was done.  It didn't fix the problem.  I called back and used the automated help again but this time I requested help with Connection.  WiFi was reset.  I'm watching TV with no garbled screen and audio is perfect. 

I never use automated help, ever, but this time and so far, the resets fixed an unwatachable TV with no sound.

New Poster

Re: SOLVED Re: X1 Intermittent Sound Cut Out Skipping Audio Issue

In my observation, the audio drop-outs have nothing to do with a setting: When I’m having drop-outs, I un-plug the power to my DVR for a few seconds, then plug it back in: POOF, no more drop-outs. The responsiveness of the user interface exhibits the same behavior: It gradually becomes intolerably sluggish, eventually taking as many as five to ten seconds to respond to a click. I cycle the power off and on (by unplugging it, NOT just using the remote to shut it off and turn it on), and POOF, the user interface becomes fully responsive.

In my opinion as a software development engineer since the 1970’s, these two performance issues are related, and are caused by incompetent programming. The root cause is sloppy memory allocation/deallocation, leading to memory fragmentation and the resultant memory starvation, forcing memory paging to disk.

In my business, we have a simple saying to explain the cause: “C”-students should never be allowed to write software!
Expert

@RHenningsgard wrote:
In my observation, the audio drop-outs have nothing to do with a setting: When I’m having drop-outs, I un-plug the power to my DVR for a few seconds, then plug it back in: POOF, no more drop-outs. The responsiveness of the user interface exhibits the same behavior: It gradually becomes intolerably sluggish, eventually taking as many as five to ten seconds to respond to a click. I cycle the power off and on (by unplugging it, NOT just using the remote to shut it off and turn it on), and POOF, the user interface becomes fully responsive.

In my opinion as a software development engineer since the 1970’s, these two performance issues are related, and are caused by incompetent programming. The root cause is sloppy memory allocation/deallocation, leading to memory fragmentation and the resultant memory starvation, forcing memory paging to disk.

In my business, we have a simple saying to explain the cause: “C”-students should never be allowed to write software!

please use the voice command 'about' and reply with the line STB version...

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
New Poster

STB Version PX001AN_3.0p26s1_PROD_sey
Expert

@RHenningsgard wrote:

you have the very oldest DVR that is known for audio dropout issues. swap for newest version 4 (yours is version 1) it is smaller and has no clock on the front. XG1v4

Bronze Problem Solver

Hello and thank you for using the Xfinity Forums for your concern, were you able to get this resolved?

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I tried the stereo option on my LG tv it worked for awhile today is football and of course it's skipping like crazy. I had a tech out about 3 months ago and they tried to say it was my equipments fault and charge me for it. I can see I'm not the lone ranger but it's really frustrating to have to constantly be dealing with this. 4k TV with 5.1 Dolby soundsystem and I'm listening to stereo and it's skipping
New Poster

I’m having the same problem. It makes you mad enough to smash your tv. I have the version 1 box because the guys at the xfinity store were out of stock for the newest box. Going to go back in and get one and hopefully fixes it. I just spent 2 hours dunking with settings and replacing cords/cables and the Patriots game is nearly over now. Thanks Comcast fora
Charging so much for substandard service.
Expert

@wolfgirl wrote:
I tried the stereo option on my LG tv it worked for awhile today is football and of course it's skipping like crazy. I had a tech out about 3 months ago and they tried to say it was my equipments fault and charge me for it. I can see I'm not the lone ranger but it's really frustrating to have to constantly be dealing with this. 4k TV with 5.1 Dolby soundsystem and I'm listening to stereo and it's skipping

please use the voice remote "About". what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?

Expert

@The801Jerk wrote:
I’m having the same problem. It makes you mad enough to smash your tv. I have the version 1 box because the guys at the xfinity store were out of stock for the newest box. Going to go back in and get one and hopefully fixes it. I just spent 2 hours dunking with settings and replacing cords/cables and the Patriots game is nearly over now. Thanks Comcast fora
Charging so much for substandard service.

please use the voice remote "About". what is the rest of the line to the right of STB version number?

Frequent Visitor

Px001an 3.0p26s1 prod set
Expert

@wolfgirl wrote:
Px001an 3.0p26s1 prod set

that first version of the xg1 DVR by Pace has only 5 tuners and has always had the skipping/stuttering audio problem. swap it when you can for the most recent (version 4) DVR. 

Frequent Visitor

You might have thought they would have switched it up when they were here this box has been here since 2014 I think.Is there a way to save some of the recordings?

Expert

@wolfgirl wrote:

You might have thought they would have switched it up when they were here this box has been here since 2014 I think.Is there a way to save some of the recordings?

you can watch it clean at end of season or at winter break (usually Olympics). the cloud will hold the last 60 hours but new recordings will be removing the older ones if current recordings are being made. If you can wait, swap during most regular season summer hiatus.

Frequent Visitor

Thank you I'll clean it up as most of what I want to save are old horse racing ones plus of course the Eagles super bowl win i has been better less skipping.

Regular Visitor

I have the same issue with my sound. If I reset the power on my X1 box the sound is better for awhile.

my STB Version is PX001AN_3.2p12s3_PROD_set

Do I need a new box?

Thank You

Expert

@wkelly1368 wrote:

I have the same issue with my sound. If I reset the power on my X1 box the sound is better for awhile.

my STB Version is PX001AN_3.2p12s3_PROD_set

Do I need a new box?

Thank You

the px001 is the first version ever of the x1 DVR and it has always had extreme audio problems and only has 5 tuners instead of 6 that you can use. swap it for newer version (like the 4k model with no clock).

Regular Visitor

Thank you

New Poster

I have this issue on all TVs. And i am wat Jung the sound stops and it’s like a call is coming in and than it continues. At first I thought it was the tv but it’s on all of them.
New Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@RHenningsgard wrote:

you have the very oldest DVR that is known for audio dropout issues. swap for newest version 4 (yours is version 1) it is smaller and has no clock on the front. XG1v4

I am having similar problems with garbled audio on a Samsung TV and sound bar.

STB version AX014AN_3.3p14s1_PROD_sey

Silver Problem Solver

@Neofelis14 wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@RHenningsgard wrote:

I am having similar problems with garbled audio on a Samsung TV and sound bar.

STB version AX014AN_3.3p14s1_PROD_sey

Did you try a System Refresh?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-reboot-my-set-top-box

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

I had the audio cut out problem and changed settings from Stereo to Dolby 5.1, and it got better, though not perfect.  Anyway, my X1 is PX001AN_3.5p2S1-PROD-SEY.

Is that the latest version of the box?  When I called Comcast for help and the audio cut-out, the person said that was the latest box, but I have doubts that was correct.  (Comcast couldn't fix the audio problem and didn't give the advice provided in this group.)

Gold Problem Solver

Green power light on that box? That's the original X1 DVR and the one you don't want.

It has one less tuner than the newer boxes (5 instead of 6) and it has audio issues that Comcast never fully resolved.

Unless you must have component video connections, swap that box out ASAP.

@dws37 wrote:

I had the audio cut out problem and changed settings from Stereo to Dolby 5.1, and it got better, though not perfect.  Anyway, my X1 is PX001AN_3.5p2S1-PROD-SEY.

Is that the latest version of the box?  When I called Comcast for help and the audio cut-out, the person said that was the latest box, but I have doubts that was correct.  (Comcast couldn't fix the audio problem and didn't give the advice provided in this group.)

Regular Visitor

Thanks - mine has a blue light.  I scheduled an appointment for tomorrow to have a technician come out and will ask him. I aske again today when I called in and the person said mine is the current box.

Gold Problem Solver

That's still not the "latest" DVR but any DVR with a blue power light should be fine.

How are you connecting things? Optical digital audio cables are known to be fragile and they can cause audio cut outs.
Regular Visitor

I had a Control4 and the people who connected everything previously used RCA plugs (if that's still the right name for them).  I never thought the Control4 was worthwhile, so I disconnected it the other day and then connected the X1 to the receiver using an HDMI cable.  Both before and after that change, there were audio skips and bad pixilation during live NBA games.  But after I disconnected the Control4 and used HDMI, I changed the settings on the box to Dolby, and things got better, though not perfect - still some audio skipping.

Any advice is much appreciated - especially things I can suggest to the technician tomorrow.

Thanks

Gold Problem Solver

I doubt disconnecting the C4 changed anything. If you noticed anything it was coincidence. There should have already been an HDMI cable going from the X1 to the receiver unless your one X1 box is feeding mutiple locations in the house.

You need that tech visit. "Pixeling" is a classic symptom of incoming signal problems and audio cutting out is high on the symptom list as well. Who installed and programmed your C4 system? How old is it?

@dws37 wrote:

I had a Control4 and the people who connected everything previously used RCA plugs (if that's still the right name for them).  I never thought the Control4 was worthwhile, so I disconnected it the other day and then connected the X1 to the receiver using an HDMI cable.  Both before and after that change, there were audio skips and bad pixilation during live NBA games.  But after I disconnected the Control4 and used HDMI, I changed the settings on the box to Dolby, and things got better, though not perfect - still some audio skipping.

Any advice is much appreciated - especially things I can suggest to the technician tomorrow.

Thanks

Regular Visitor

I can’t recall the name of the original place. More recently a local place called Avid Home Theater helped me
Official Employee

dws37, firmware version 3.6 rolled out recently so I can check to see if I can push this to your box. Send me a private message with your name for help. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

So after a visit from comcast in April they put a HD cord on my old dvr without switching it I called again and finally finally after many calls and visits recieved the latest dvr box hey hey it is working! The only downside is I lost most of my old recordings .I can't believe it took so much effort to get a new box I was hoping if they installed I wouldn't lose my old recordings but if you can't watch anything it doesn't matter I suppose.

Regular Visitor

Hi Ken - I was still getting audio cut out so I switched the hdmi cable out and connected the box to the receiver with RCA plugs. There is also an optical audio cable between box and receiver. It may be a little better but there are still cut outs. Any suggestions ?
Regular Visitor

Ken - that last post was in my wife's name by mistake.  You were checking on the software update for us.

Thanks.

Official Employee

dws37, can you send me a private message? We had a thread going on there but I didn't hear back from you. 

tinabrier, thanks for running those tests. Have you had a chance to play around with the audio settings on the box like the OP referenced? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I also have intermittent sound issues. It is really quite maddening.

My DVR STB version is PX001AN_3.5p2s1_PROD_sey

It was installed last summer.

Official Employee

It was installed last summer

newyorker22, are you using surround sound or additional audio equipment or is the sound dropping via stereo? 

Expert

@newyorker22 wrote:

It was installed last summer.

adding ... that model is the first and oldest (gen 1 now on generation 4). It has always had issues (5 tuners only, sound cutouts/drops, issues with internet apps). it is the same price as newer DVRs including the xg1v4 4k/uhd DVR (it has its own issues they are working on).

Official Employee

Good catch, Rustyben. I'm also in the business of swapping cable equipment, newyorker22. lol

New Poster

I am using a sound bar.

But it happens also when I switch to the audio of the television. And it mainly happenes in the evening. I cannot recall it happening in the morning or afternoon.

New Poster

How do I go about replacing it?

Expert

@newyorker22 wrote:

How do I go about replacing it?

have a local xfinity store? if you want a 4k xg1v4 go in and swap to use 'for your new 4k TV). keep your remote take power brick and old DVR. keep your xr11 (can use it too). xg1v4 usually comes with more modern xr15 remote.

New Poster

Sounds like I have the same issue, been on phone with multiple people, had technician replace box, argued to no end its their issue.  Never had 1 single problem on Direct Tv, and last technician said he thought was Samsung UHD Tv...I was like...no...blue ray works perfect, direct Tv works perfect, everything works perfect, except cable box.  pretty sure its not my tv.  Anyways.  I dont know what to do, they have been out to fix and they dont know whats causing it.  

Expert

@bigfoot69 wrote:

Sounds like I have the same issue, been on phone with multiple people, had technician replace box, argued to no end its their issue.  Never had 1 single problem on Direct Tv, and last technician said he thought was Samsung UHD Tv...I was like...no...blue ray works perfect, direct Tv works perfect, everything works perfect, except cable box.  pretty sure its not my tv.  Anyways.  I dont know what to do, they have been out to fix and they dont know whats causing it.  

using your voice remote "about". what is the rest of the line to right of "STB version"?

Official Employee

Hi, bigfoot69. Sorry to hear about your box issues. Are the cut outs on every viewing platform (on demand, live TV, recordings)? 

Ken

New Poster

Good Job this is my solution too when I Get this type of call on my line.