Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@TerriB wrote:

@Bowmanal wrote:
On my Pace green light HDDVR, I have XRE server version 1.51.09, date 04/27/2015, and STB VERSION 2.0p15s1, date Apr 9, 2015, and it still does not record the buffer.

Seems the recording buffer is not coming back. Something to do with it creating problems for Comcast because of the cloud. We cannot seem to get any confimation/explanation from Comcast on these forums but someone posted that a Comcast rep on the phone told them.  Very distressing to lose this extremely useful feature and true step backward.

Completely ridiculous.  The buffer is on the HD, if they can't fix the cloud part of the problem it's due to incompetence.

I hadn't noticed this mentioned, but I'm 90% sure that I used to get buffer on the current live tv channel when I was watching On Demand, now when I come back from an On Demand program I have no buffer.  One more huge step backwards.  If they can't figure out the cloud then they need to skip it until they do.  Every basic feature of a DVR is causing issues with the cloud, it means you have no idea what you are doing...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

The list of features that Comcast has trashed or removed completely continues to grow. If the powers that be would relent and make the software responsible for doing DVR recordings totally local to the box, the buffer problem would be solved.  The hard drive responsible for storing the recordings is on the STB so what's the problem ?  Just what part of the process are they storing on the cloud and why. The old pre - X! boxes did buffer recording with ease. You could be 3/4 of the way through a 2 hour long standard definition movie and still be able to record the whole thing.

I guess the Comcast quarterback decided to punt that feature out the window. Not satisfied to keep a good thing going Comcast hypes the ability to record 4 shows simultaneously on their commercials but Kludges up the process to the point where it's a net loss of functionality to the consumer. The simple solution would be to have the STB record whatever channel you were on and have a software trigger to delete the recording if you didn't manually set it to record before the show was over. All STB based.

NOOOo......

As I have stated before, the back end servers will need to be more foolproof and robust for this cloud approach to work the seamless way Comcast implies in their  commercials. In fact every time I see one of these commercials, I say " Hah ! yeah, right."

Waiting......

Highlighted
Expert

1.52.05 with fw 2.0s15 seems to have fixed finally the dark screen after viewing then deleting a recording. Lots of new spanish settings in the menu system now.

buggy stuff

"last" button often does not work getting 'that feature is not available". When 'Last' is not working there also is no 'resume of things you were watching and stopped. The assets always start from beginning.

if you hit 'right' during a recording you don't see what channel you were on before starting watching you see the channel listing for the channel the recording was recorded on (should be the live channel you return to by hitting exit).

while watching a recording press red record button and it offers to record the program already recorded. If you select series, it takes the input but does not schedule the series.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates - Hello Moe

XRE server  version - 1.52.05 and STB Version 2.0p15s1. Here now.

Very odd occurrence this morning. The Guide had 9 movies out of 58 in the "Movies on Now" that had no channel information listed, only the time. If you tried to DVR the show you got a "DVR service not Available" message. If you tried to press "Enter" to watch the show you were returned to your current channel.  Now I believe that this is due to the information in the guide being in error and not the X1 software itself. I tested recording a show with channel information and it worked.  I can see how the DVR couldn't record a show if the channel it was on was missing in it's "Meta Data". Fumble fingering  one show I can see and forgive, but 9 out of 58 smack's of total incompetence.

Moe, Larry and Curly must be moonlighting from the X1 programming department.

(Programming wise, it's more likely someone tried to merge multiple programming listings and messed it up. Another example of Comcast's desultory approach to serving their customers.)

BJ 

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

1.52.05 with fw 2.0s15 seems to have fixed finally the dark screen after viewing then deleting a recording. Lots of new spanish settings in the menu system now.

buggy stuff

"last" button often does not work getting 'that feature is not available". When 'Last' is not working there also is no 'resume of things you were watching and stopped. The assets always start from beginning.

if you hit 'right' during a recording you don't see what channel you were on before starting watching you see the channel listing for the channel the recording was recorded on (should be the live channel you return to by hitting exit).

while watching a recording press red record button and it offers to record the program already recorded. If you select series, it takes the input but does not schedule the series.

Have same version numbers as you but still have dark screen.

Had message when using 'Last' several times last night but ours said "something is not working right"...REALLY???

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Very odd occurrence this morning. The Guide had 9 movies out of 58 in the "Movies on Now" that had no channel information listed, only the time. If you tried to DVR the show you got a "DVR service not Available" message. If you tried to press "Enter" to watch the show you were returned to your current channel.  Now I believe that this is due to the information in the guide being in error and not the X1 software itself. I tested recording a show with channel information and it worked.  I can see how the DVR couldn't record a show if the channel it was on was missing in it's "Meta Data". Fumble fingering  one show I can see and forgive, but 9 out of 58 smack's of total incompetence.

(Programming wise, it's more likely someone tried to merge multiple programming listings and messed it up. Another example of Comcast's desultory approach to serving their customers.)

BJ 

I am afraid to even look to see if I get what you got with the movie information. We get 'dvr service not available'  often even when just pausing a recording and going back to start it again  but when  go back and resume its fine. Super knuck knuck knuck!

Highlighted
Expert

@BeowolfJones wrote:

BJ 

on some other threads users searched for the 'no channel' listings and found them all (pay per view, hbo, etc.). I'm guessing the interface is not parsing the information correctly before displaying it. edit : glad you added it here.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

BJ 

on some other threads users searched for the 'no channel' listings and found them all (pay per view, hbo, etc.). I'm guessing the interface is not parsing the information correctly before displaying it. edit : glad you added it here.

Not quite correct. I found two listings that I couldn't find anywhere. A search on the name of the program failed to turn it up in any place including PPV. 

As of now the Bogus listing are.

Now - 10/53

Now + 1/2 hr.  1/10

Now + 1 hr.  6/23

Now + 1.5 hrs.  3/10

I have parsed apart just about every file type you can imagine, including graphics files that require a binary read because they contain an EOF character close to the beginning and cannot be read by ordinary methods and got them all right.  As far as I'm concerned there's  no excuse for the sloppy programming we are subjected to. I expect the Guide to enhance my search for things to watch, not make it more difficult.

X1, X1 burning bright

In Commercials, every Night

What Colossal Cosmic Jest

Made a system that's a pest.

(Sorry Robert Blake)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I finally relented and rebooted the box. The guide seems to be ok now.

For folks who don't know this, the best way to reboot is:

Press and Hold "Exit" for 5 seconds then

Press the "Down Arrow" twice then

Press "2"

This brings up the on screen diagnostic menu used by the Techs with lots of interesting Information (if you know what it means)

Select "Reboot STB" from the menu to reboot the box.

This is preferable to pulling the power plug to force a reboot.

(I had one UNix box that never lost the OS due to a hang up in Seven years. I can't say the same for windows based systems and X1 ? HAH !)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

There is a much simpler way to reboot without pulling plug. Just click xfinity button on remote. Go to settings then device settings, then power preferences and click restart. 

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

There is a much simpler way to reboot without pulling plug. Just click xfinity button on remote. Go to settings then device settings, then power preferences and click restart. 

Problem is that when things get so bad that I feel compelled to  reboot  I can't  do anything with the remote and that includes the device settings. I HATE having to pull the plug so I will try what B J just suggested next time I have to reboot and see how that works and have a look see at the diagnostics..

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Simpler, yes but I was also showing how to bring up the diagnostics menu which will be of interest to some.

By the way, the guide is full of bogus entries with no channel listing again. It seems rebooting didn't cure the problem for long.

Bad entries in "Movies on Now"  = 16/68

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Problem is that when things get so bad that I feel compelled to  reboot  I can't  do anything with the remote and that includes the device settings. I HATE having to pull the plug so I will try what B J just suggested next time I have to reboot and see if that works.

You are correct in that when things really get hosed up, many times the diagnostic menu can still be pulled up when nothing else works.  You can always pull the plug as a last resort. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Gotcha. But as an FYI. The xfinity button on the x1 remote app will work when when the screen is stuck. Found this out couple days ago. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I meant the microphone button. It unsticks the stuck screen. 

Highlighted
Expert

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Problem is that when things get so bad that I feel compelled to  reboot  I can't  do anything with the remote and that includes the device settings. I HATE having to pull the plug so I will try what B J just suggested next time I have to reboot and see how that works and have a look see at the diagnostics..

they added a reboot at the box function (hold down power button (circle) for 10+ seconds and then let go. Will reboot shortly thereafter.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Gotcha. But as an FYI. The xfinity button on the x1 remote app will work when when the screen is stuck. Found this out couple days ago. 

Yes, I saw this somewhere on another thread.  I guess if we didn't have to find these work arounds we'd all have to find somewhere else to post. I look forward to the day, if ever, that the X1 system finally has less bugs than a roach motel. I'm glad Comcast wasn't in charge of NASA and the space program. Problems come in cycles with X1. What good is the Guide if you can't figure out which one of the hundreds of channels a listed program is on or if it is even actually being aired at all. Record it ?  Channel missing info on these entries all produce "DVR Service Unavailable". I'd call and complain but for what ? To listen to a bunch of cruddy automated menus and then be handed off to someone who can't do anything except analogize for something that is not their fault.  Nah ! When I think of how my viewing experience was before I got X1, it amazes me that a system to watch TV can be Kludged up as much as X1 has been.

Maybe Comcast really is studying the effects of negative reinforcement on X1 TV viewers. Unlike the shocked kid in Ghostbusters, we don't even get the 5 Bucks. I think Goozer the Goozerian must have haunted my X1 Box and someone at Comcast shut down the protection grid. Now if the giant Stay Puffed marshmallow man would just stomp on my X1 box ......

StayPuffed.png

Highlighted
Expert

BeowolfJones wrote: <snip>

Now if the giant Stay Puffed marshmallow man would just stomp on my X1 box ...... 

hehehe

I do wish that comcast would add a TiVO box/system as some other MSO have provided as an option.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@Rustyben wrote:

Now if the giant Stay Puffed marshmallow man would just stomp on my X1 box ...... 

hehehe

I do wish that comcast would add a TiVO box/system as some other MSO have provided as an option.

Don't understand; Comcast does support TiVO and TiVo supports Comcast On Demand, correct?

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

There is no X1, only Zuul.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

I have been told that Comcast despises anything 3rd party because they feel they end up supporting 3rd party gear in the long run.

Comcast tolerates TiVo but I would stop short of saying they support it...

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

hehehe

Don't understand; Comcast does support TiVO and TiVo supports Comcast On Demand, correct?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Well, the guide has been messed up all day. I have done a lot of testing and it boils down to the fact that right now the movie guide is about 75% reliable. Some programs with no channel info are shown at the time listed if you search for them, but others aren't. Some just flat out aren't there anywhere including on demand.

Comcast, you really shot yourself in the foot today. The Cloud ? The Cloud is in your brain. Duh. DOH ! 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@lightstorm22 wrote:

There is no X1, only Zuul.

That would explain why my X1 Box is levitating 4 feet above my TV stand.

Highlighted
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

hehehe

Arris and TiVO have made agreements that allow the TiVO customer system to run on the Arris box much as X1 runs on the box. An option comcast could allow.

Highlighted
Expert

oh, for clock lovers have you noticed their new on demand clock (for when new equipment will not have a clock anymore?

press left button on remote

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

im not near the TV, what does this left click do?

Highlighted
Expert

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

shows temp/time/offers my-account and powersaver switch

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

brandonbob2376 wrote:

That's the new addition Control Panel found under Comcast Labs

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Good to know but the new remote is not available to the public from what I have been told. You are one of the very lucky ones to have one.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Terri,

They sent me one when I filled in the request at that site.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Why aren't we getting updates here?  I just found out about a new "feature" in Comcast Labs.  Left arrow button brings up some options.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Thats a nice 'gee whiz'  alternate feature that duplicates other ways to find the same info but if they take the box clock away there will a loud roar out here. When I want to see what time it is all I have to do now is look at the box. Its the only digital clock in our family room and we would be lost without it .  The proper thing to do would be to have an option for clock or channel.

Why is it that the only way we find out about new features is thru this forum from users....GRRRR. For the general user who does not  use the forums there are so many features they never know about. My best friend is a perfect example. She moved and got X1 Dec 2014 and when I was messing with her remote a couple of months ago she had no idea what she had available. I spent an hour showing her cool stuff and she was furious that she had no idea .  I showed her how to find versions,etc but she ask what we all ask..."how do I get notified or do they expect me to go thru the whole system every now and then to see if there is anything new?". You can imagine what I told her.

This is no way to run a business and customers are paying for services  they don't even know about. Why not just send out email when changes are made or does that make too much sense. I am signed up for alerts,etc and all I get is corporate stuff and alerts when they think I am sending spam (which I NEVER do) AND I get other people's bills/tech visit reminders,etc because Cust svc can't copy down an email addy correctly. When this happens it takes a lot of escalation to get it cleared up. Once I even called the customer myself since all their personal info was on the bill I received. This has happened more than once with different customers.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

What site? Where do I sign up?????? Help! Once again I find out about  stuff ONLY from my fellow forum users.....! I am afraid to ask what they charged you for it...it should be FREE. Do you have to turn in your other remote?

Highlighted
Expert

I found that left arrow control panel/info by accidently hitting left instead of OK button.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Thats a nice 'gee whiz' alternate feature that duplicates other ways to find the same info but if they take the box clock away there will a loud roar out here. When I want to see what time it is all I have to do now is look at the box. Its the only digital clock in our family room and we would be lost without it . The proper thing to do would be to have an option for clock or channel.

Who said the clock was going away? Don't get worked up on heresay...

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

What site? Where do I sign up?????? Help! Once again I find out about  stuff ONLY from my fellow forum users.....! I am afraid to ask what they charged you for it...it should be FREE. Do you have to turn in your other remote?

Google is your friend.  (I've been saying that since I first got on forums way back in the dark ages)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=comcast%20xr11

http://www.comcast.com/voice-remote

Or maybe you've already tried it?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:
Thats a nice 'gee whiz' alternate feature that duplicates other ways to find the same info but if they take the box clock away there will a loud roar out here. When I want to see what time it is all I have to do now is look at the box. Its the only digital clock in our family room and we would be lost without it . The proper thing to do would be to have an option for clock or channel.

Andrew, read message 975 and its not the first time I have read this. Apparently there has been a lot of feedback to Comcast that people would rather see the channel and not the clock so in their infinite wisdom looks like rather than an option they will just remove the clock.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

Andrew, read message 975 and its not the first time I have read this. Apparently there has been a lot of feedback to Comcast that people would rather see the channel and not the clock so in their infinite wisdom looks like rather than an option they will just remove the clock.

That won't happen with X1.  Maybe X2 or X3 or X4 or whatever Comcast calls the next version.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

http://www.xfinity.com/voice-remote#overlay-requestremote

Heres the the link for the XR11 remote or try at your local service center

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

Google is your friend.  (I've been saying that since I first got on forums way back in the dark ages)

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=comcast%20xr11

Thanks. I google frequently about the availability of the voice remove and all I see was how to use it and how to use device app to use voice control. I will have to dig deeper.  Its been about a week since I searched for info. I am an avid Googler BUT why should that be the way to find out?

UPDATE...found it . Wonder what the chances are that they have them at my local service center since its such a secret that they are available.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

Thanks. I google frequently about the availability of the voice remove and all I see was how to use it and how to use device app to use voice control. I will have to dig deeper.  Its been about a week since I searched for info. I am an avid Googler BUT why should that be the way to find out?

UPDATE...found it . Wonder what the chances are that they have them at my local service center since its such a secret that they are available.

S&H is ~$5.95, varies by market.   Limit is one per account thru the online ordering system. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

That won't happen with X1.  Maybe X2 or X3 or X4 or whatever Comcast calls the next version.

Where are you getting your information that future version will not have a clock?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

I don't have any information about clocks.  Someone else said that.

I'm just saying IF there is no clock on future X boxes.

Highlighted
Expert

corporate technology trend is smaller and smaller and RF connect so box is out of sight, saving energy. 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Good to know but the new remote is not available to the public from what I have been told. You are one of the very lucky ones to have one.

i am talking about the x1 remote app. its available to everyone in the public

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

I don't have any information about clocks.  Someone else said that.

I'm just saying IF there is no clock on future X boxes.

Lordy Lordy....lets not give them any ideas by even talking about absence of clock.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Seeing that the Movie Guide is STILL MESSED UP TODAY, I wonder when they will begin to have the CLOCK show the INCORRECT TIME. Since Comcast has managed to remove, disable, overly complicate or generally mess up almost every feature of our viewing experience it follows as a natural consequence that they will mess up the clock. After all, we can't have people recording shows when ever they feel like it. Ergo, if we mess up the clock that'll show those pesky customers ! What a bunch of whining malcontents. Why can't they just shut up and send us the MONEY. We in our benevolent goodness know what's best for them.

(Note to staff: Place another layer of hoops to jump through for the customers to prevent them from reaching me. I don't want to be pestered while I'm eating my steak and lobster.)

Ima Bigwig Mgr.

(Staff: see if you can find some more help for our programmers Moe, Larry and Curly. Try our usual source, the curd counters at the cheese factory.)

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

http://www.xfinity.com/voice-remote#overlay-requestremote

Heres the the link for the XR11 remote or try at your local service center

Awesome, another remote with pause and play on the same button.  Which means there is no chance of 2000 era DVR functionality and we're still stuck in the 1970's for the forseeable future.  Comcast, contintually setting the bar so low that a few days of uninterrupted service makes the customer believe they are getting a good product.  

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@CCAndrew wrote:
@brandonbob2376 wrote:

That's the new addition Control Panel found under Comcast Labs

I finally got a chance to activate this feature and check it out. Love it! Great job on this new feature!!

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

- Nothing happens when I press left arrow.

- In a listing of a couple shows, I found can see a whole season of episodes, where about 15 episodes are on demand, but for some reason 2 or 3 aren't.  I can't imagine that's some bizarre network decision.  And for those couple episodes, if you try to record them, which is an option that shows up, you get an error message.

- I still have no buffer recording after watching On Demand content.

If there is no buffer after on-demand, and you can't record the buffer, and if you rewind too far into the buffer you then randomly skip back to live, may as well just remove the buffer all together.  That would fit well with the trend of other features b eing removed.  They could just add in some other useless new feature that no one has asked for and market that instead, since that's the general trend anyway.