Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@tctc wrote:

Do we really need weather and stocks on our TV?  I can access that info 10 other ways.  Sure, if everything else was working great, it might be a "nice to have" that I would use a couple times a year, but everything else is not working great.

 

Really wish they would prioritize their development time on better UI and better DVR functionality over cantrip apps that are useless.

 

 

 


@BeowolfJones wrote:

The "NEW" interface ? MEH !

 

1. The weather app and stock app load so sloooooooooooowly as be be almost worthless.

2. The Weather app has been gutted of almost everything that the old app had.  No sunrise, sunset time, no wind speed and direction, no ability to list other cities weather.

 

 

BOGUS !


 


==

 

You bet we need easy way to get weather and whats wrong with that? Comcast took away the channel that had instant weather and radar which was a wonderful channel so many of us loved and then they gave us with a weather app. No radar but had pertinent info and all you had do was say 'weather' into the voice remote and it popped up instantly. Then came the UI change and now when you say 'weather' you could make and eat lunch before it launches and it doesn't even have the info it did before and the font is very small.


The weather channel is no longer a weather channel if thats what you might suggest we use. Its like Nat Geo now...interesting stuff  but not much real weather and almost zero local. Even 'weather on the 8s' is  almost invisible if it comes on at all. I want local weather and I want it when I want it and the old app did that except no radar.  Should I wait until the evening news to get my weather? I think not.

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@BeowolfJones wrote:

The "NEW" interface ? MEH !

 

1. The weather app and stock app load so sloooooooooooowly as be be almost worthless.

2. The Weather app has been gutted of almost everything that the old app had.  No sunrise, sunset time, no wind speed and direction, no ability to list other cities weather.

 

 

BOGUS !


I have hesitated to complain ( how unlike me...lol)  about how dreadfully long it takes for the 'new' weather app to load so I am glad you did! 

Frequent Visitor

Re: Every recording on DVR is randomly skipping, stuttering, and pixelating.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I would just prefer they fix the basic cable - TV - DVR components of their platform first, since that is what I'm subscribing to, before adding "apps", like sports, weather, stocks, etc..  Which are all readily available through from other sources.  (Or another 5 ways to find premium paid content.)

 

I'd prefer they didn't spend their resources deciding what weather source to use, or how to display it, or which sport stats to show, or anything like that, until they fix basic DVR funcitonality, cloud performance issues, and all of the major components of their service.

 

If everything worked fine with the rest of the platform, then by all means add whatever features you want.  But my opinion is that there are still a ton of issues that should be focused on before working on "apps".

 

I have a recording on my DVR from last night that for some reason is a "cloud" recording.  It is completely unwatchable, hangs every 3 to 5 seconds.  Why is this a "cloud" recording?   There was no service outage, my equipment was all turned on.  Fix that type of thing first... 

 

 

 

You bet we need easy way to get weather and whats wrong with that? Comcast took away the channel that had instant weather and radar which was a wonderful channel so many of us loved and then they gave us with a weather app. No radar but had pertinent info and all you had do was say 'weather' into the voice remote and it popped up instantly. Then came the UI change and now when you say 'weather' you could make and eat lunch before it launches and it doesn't even have the info it did before and the font is very small.


The weather channel is no longer a weather channel if thats what you might suggest we use. Its like Nat Geo now...interesting stuff  but not much real weather and almost zero local. Even 'weather on the 8s' is  almost invisible if it comes on at all. I want local weather and I want it when I want it and the old app did that except no radar.  Should I wait until the evening news to get my weather? I think not.


 

 

Most Valued Poster

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@tctc wrote:

I would just prefer they fix the basic cable - TV - DVR components of their platform first, since that is what I'm subscribing to, before adding "apps", like sports, weather, stocks, etc..  Which are all readily available through from other sources.  (Or another 5 ways to find premium paid content.)

 

I'd prefer they didn't spend their resources deciding what weather source to use, or how to display it, or which sport stats to show, or anything like that, until they fix basic DVR funcitonality, cloud performance issues, and all of the major components of their service.

 

If everything worked fine with the rest of the platform, then by all means add whatever features you want.  But my opinion is that there are still a ton of issues that should be focused on before working on "apps".

 

I have a recording on my DVR from last night that for some reason is a "cloud" recording.  It is completely unwatchable, hangs every 3 to 5 seconds.  Why is this a "cloud" recording?   There was no service outage, my equipment was all turned on.  Fix that type of thing first... 

 

 

 

You bet we need easy way to get weather and whats wrong with that? Comcast took away the channel that had instant weather and radar which was a wonderful channel so many of us loved and then they gave us with a weather app. No radar but had pertinent info and all you had do was say 'weather' into the voice remote and it popped up instantly. Then came the UI change and now when you say 'weather' you could make and eat lunch before it launches and it doesn't even have the info it did before and the font is very small.


The weather channel is no longer a weather channel if thats what you might suggest we use. Its like Nat Geo now...interesting stuff  but not much real weather and almost zero local. Even 'weather on the 8s' is  almost invisible if it comes on at all. I want local weather and I want it when I want it and the old app did that except no radar.  Should I wait until the evening news to get my weather? I think not.


 

 


I totally agree about basic functionality but some apps are  useful.  I want nothing to do with the cloud by the way. We record, watch on DVR on TV...thats as simple as it gets.  We sure don't ruin the eyesight we have left streaming on a tiny phone screen.  Speaking of apps...there are many apps that are drivel  and just fluff and certainly not for the general X1 user population in my opinion but some are extremely useful like the weather.  Where I live the weather has been more than challenging for over a year and I need up to date real time. By the time the diluted weather app loads the weather has changed!

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I understand the frustration but my thinking is that they likely are not making the weather app on the tv a priority because of the fact most people have an iPhone or another smartphone or a tablet of some kind that all have built in weather applications. I can’t guarantee this is why but it makes the most logical sense.
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I don't want anything to do with the cloud either, but we have no choice.  I didn't schedule my recording for the cloud, it just happens sometimes, then most times I end up with a recording that is poor quality and slow and won't respond to commands, usually unwatchable.  If you haven't ended up with a "cloud" recording yet you're lucky.

 

I would never trust comcast to provide the most accurate forecast or anyting close to real time weather.  I assume they contract with the cheapest source available, since they aren't willing to pay licensing for frame by frame advance, etc....

 



I totally agree about basic functionality but some apps are  useful.  I want nothing to do with the cloud by the way. We record, watch on DVR on TV...thats as simple as it gets.  We sure don't ruin the eyesight we have left streaming on a tiny phone screen.  Speaking of apps...there are many apps that are drivel  and just fluff and certainly not for the general X1 user population in my opinion but some are extremely useful like the weather.  Where I live the weather has been more than challenging for over a year and I need up to date real time. By the time the diluted weather app loads the weather has changed!

 


 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

This is weird. Our upcoming updates thread got renamed and merged into some unrelated thread about cloud. I hope this is not permanent and we will still receive notifications when people post to the "Upcoming X1 Updates" thread.

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@brandonbob2376 wrote:

This is weird. Our upcoming updates thread got renamed and merged into some unrelated thread about cloud. I hope this is not permanent and we will still receive notifications when people post to the "Upcoming X1 Updates" thread.


I just moved that post that did not belong here.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

DVR doesn't stutter but still looks like it was recorded on a potatoe and only 2.0 sound

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@joey92 wrote:

DVR doesn't stutter but still looks like it was recorded on a potatoe and only 2.0 sound


cloud recording are always and only 2.0 sound

Regular Visitor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I agree! Buffering isn’t working right. Skips to current show, you rewind to point of buffer start, it plays a minute and then bounces back to current time.

 

Some channels are “unavailable at this time”, recordings skip, won’t play or, as someone said in another post, it asks if you want to record streamed episode. Then it still skipped, locked up or wouldn’t play right.

 

My Xfinity X1 experience has been a nightmare and huge disappointment for what we pay.

 

I think Comcast owes its customers a big credit for over a month of major issues. We deserve that courtesy.

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Formica1 wrote:

I agree! Buffering isn’t working right. Skips to current show, you rewind to point of buffer start, it plays a minute and then bounces back to current time.

 

Some channels are “unavailable at this time”, recordings skip, won’t play or, as someone said in another post, it asks if you want to record streamed episode. Then it still skipped, locked up or wouldn’t play right.

 

My Xfinity X1 experience has been a nightmare and huge disappointment for what we pay.

 

I think Comcast owes its customers a big credit for over a month of major issues. We deserve that courtesy.


your post has nothing to do with updates. post in X1 if you wish to receive help with your X1 service (sounds like your signal levels are dreadful).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Yes, my post has to do with updates. Everything worked great until recordings were moved to a cloud format. Now you can’t depend on anything that used to be done effortlessly.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

He's correct.   See the main topic:  https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/Upcoming-X1-Updates/m-p/2339707/highlight/true#M169042

 

Unfortunately someone earlier posted to this topic about the recent DVR/Cloud playback issues and many others jumped on board.

 

FYI if you have a current X1 DVR then by default new recordings are also set in the "Cloud" without any interaction from you.   There is nothing new about this or that the DVR recordings were "moved" to the cloud.   This was caused by some glitch to create an issue where the DVR recordings were not able to be played back properly so the playback defaulted to the "cloud" recordings as a convenience.   If you or anyone is seeing issues with cloud playback performance then there may be other issues causing it.

Regular Visitor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Well, all I know is that I’ve been a Comcast/Xfinity customer for a long time and  never had these issues until two-three months ago.

 

But thanks for setting me straight.

Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Anyone know when the next true software update is coming out? I know they do an update/firmware update every night. When are they going to do a version update? Thanks.
Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Steve0916 wrote:
Anyone know when the next true software update is coming out? I know they do an update/firmware update every night. When are they going to do a version update? Thanks.

Overnight updates are usually for information (programming updates).  Firmware updates come periodically when ready for certain boxes. No scheduling provided.


I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Thanks for the quick response. How can I check if my box was updated with a new firmware version? I go to the about section in settings but I can’t understand what I’m looking at. Is the STB the firmware?
Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Formica1 wrote:

Yes, my post has to do with updates. Everything worked great until recordings were moved to a cloud format. Now you can’t depend on anything that used to be done effortlessly.


that just isn't true. recordings are made in both places unless you have a no-Comcast equipment plan.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

How can I check if updates were performed on the box? I’m checking daily to see a soft wear update his been performed to fix an issue I’m having. 

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Steve0916 wrote:

How can I check if updates were performed on the box? I’m checking daily to see a soft wear update his been performed to fix an issue I’m having. 


use the voice remote 'about'. the firmware version is on the line that begins STB Version.  the menu system (XRE) is at the top (2 lines).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

The first picture was taken Sunday and this picture was taken now. Looks the software was reverted back. Why?
DF746F94-3CA2-403D-8FC8-BDF007713296.jpeg
44A651CE-3BEB-4B1F-B01A-E8D1781CF53D.jpeg
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@Steve0916 wrote:
The first picture was taken Sunday and this picture was taken now. Looks the software was reverted back. Why?

There is no way to answer that question; the overnight changes are minor, like updates to the channel lineups.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I would also like to know what causes a "cloud" recording.

When I've have no outage, my DVR isn't full, etc..

 

As mentioned, the "cloud" recordings are generally unwatchable.

 


@schnappsy wrote:
I am sick and tired of all the shows being held in the cloud are basically unwatchable. They start, pause, skip and it looks like SD instead of HD. This has been going on for weeks off and on. What’s the scoop on why?
 
EVERY single show we try to watch is in the cloud DVR and stopping and starting. How do I see what’s in the cloud? Better yet, someone please explain how things get recorded to a cloud? If it’s on the DVR it plays just fine. How do I move the shows on the cloud to my DVR because the cloud is obviously not working. Prices go up and I have to give things up to keep the prices down. I’m not a happy Comcast customer at this point!

 

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@tctc wrote:

I would also like to know what causes a "cloud" recording.

When I've have no outage, my DVR isn't full, etc..

 

As mentioned, the "cloud" recordings are generally unwatchable.

 


@schnappsy wrote:
I am sick and tired of all the shows being held in the cloud are basically unwatchable. They start, pause, skip and it looks like SD instead of HD. This has been going on for weeks off and on. What’s the scoop on why?
 
EVERY single show we try to watch is in the cloud DVR and stopping and starting. How do I see what’s in the cloud? Better yet, someone please explain how things get recorded to a cloud? If it’s on the DVR it plays just fine. How do I move the shows on the cloud to my DVR because the cloud is obviously not working. Prices go up and I have to give things up to keep the prices down. I’m not a happy Comcast customer at this point! 

when you press record or a scheduled recording activates the scheduler in the cloud (a server) tells your cloud DVR to record. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Hi Rustyben,  We're referring to the recent phenomenon, since the last update, where you've set a recording on your DVR, and when you go to play it back, it's not on your DVR, it's only the reduced quality "cloud" recording instead.   Normally you should have a cloud recording as well as one on your DVR.  I believe that is only supposed to happen when your DVR has been offline or there was an outage in your area, as a backup.     But it is happening, seemingly randomly.

 


@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I would also like to know what causes a "cloud" recording.

When I've have no outage, my DVR isn't full, etc..

 

As mentioned, the "cloud" recordings are generally unwatchable.

 


@schnappsy wrote:
I am sick and tired of all the shows being held in the cloud are basically unwatchable. They start, pause, skip and it looks like SD instead of HD. This has been going on for weeks off and on. What’s the scoop on why?
 
EVERY single show we try to watch is in the cloud DVR and stopping and starting. How do I see what’s in the cloud? Better yet, someone please explain how things get recorded to a cloud? If it’s on the DVR it plays just fine. How do I move the shows on the cloud to my DVR because the cloud is obviously not working. Prices go up and I have to give things up to keep the prices down. I’m not a happy Comcast customer at this point! 

when you press record or a scheduled recording activates the scheduler in the cloud (a server) tells your cloud DVR to record. 


 

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben,  We're referring to the recent phenomenon, since the last update, where you've set a recording on your DVR, and when you go to play it back, it's not on your DVR, it's only the reduced quality "cloud" recording instead.   Normally you should have a cloud recording as well as one on your DVR.  I believe that is only supposed to happen when your DVR has been offline or there was an outage in your area, as a backup.     But it is happening, seemingly randomly.

 


@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I would also like to know what causes a "cloud" recording.

When I've have no outage, my DVR isn't full, etc..

 

As mentioned, the "cloud" recordings are generally unwatchable.

 


@schnappsy wrote:
I am sick and tired of all the shows being held in the cloud are basically unwatchable. They start, pause, skip and it looks like SD instead of HD. This has been going on for weeks off and on. What’s the scoop on why?
 
EVERY single show we try to watch is in the cloud DVR and stopping and starting. How do I see what’s in the cloud? Better yet, someone please explain how things get recorded to a cloud? If it’s on the DVR it plays just fine. How do I move the shows on the cloud to my DVR because the cloud is obviously not working. Prices go up and I have to give things up to keep the prices down. I’m not a happy Comcast customer at this point! 

when you press record or a scheduled recording activates the scheduler in the cloud (a server) tells your cloud DVR to record. 



it is possible that the local set top box can't record IPTV channels (like 1115 newsmax) so the recordings go to the cloud DVR and some areas have issues with cloud DVR recordings not recording the entire program. you can test that by setting a recording on 1115, then begin playing it back as a recording and press the OK button. is there a cloud icon in front of 'DVR'?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

When it happens, there is a cloud icon that shows up when you go to play back.

The channels and times for this issue appear random, although it did seem to happen more often with longer recordings / sporting events.

I haven't had it happen in the last couple days, maybe they fixed whatever it was.

 

 


@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Hi Rustyben,  We're referring to the recent phenomenon, since the last update, where you've set a recording on your DVR, and when you go to play it back, it's not on your DVR, it's only the reduced quality "cloud" recording instead.   Normally you should have a cloud recording as well as one on your DVR.  I believe that is only supposed to happen when your DVR has been offline or there was an outage in your area, as a backup.     But it is happening, seemingly randomly.

 


@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

I would also like to know what causes a "cloud" recording.

When I've have no outage, my DVR isn't full, etc..

 

As mentioned, the "cloud" recordings are generally unwatchable.

 


@schnappsy wrote:
I am sick and tired of all the shows being held in the cloud are basically unwatchable. They start, pause, skip and it looks like SD instead of HD. This has been going on for weeks off and on. What’s the scoop on why?
 
EVERY single show we try to watch is in the cloud DVR and stopping and starting. How do I see what’s in the cloud? Better yet, someone please explain how things get recorded to a cloud? If it’s on the DVR it plays just fine. How do I move the shows on the cloud to my DVR because the cloud is obviously not working. Prices go up and I have to give things up to keep the prices down. I’m not a happy Comcast customer at this point! 

when you press record or a scheduled recording activates the scheduler in the cloud (a server) tells your cloud DVR to record. 



it is possible that the local set top box can't record IPTV channels (like 1115 newsmax) so the recordings go to the cloud DVR and some areas have issues with cloud DVR recordings not recording the entire program. you can test that by setting a recording on 1115, then begin playing it back as a recording and press the OK button. is there a cloud icon in front of 'DVR'?


 

Regular Visitor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Steve, thanks for your posts.  They are similar to all my questions I have to Comcast but Comcast replies usually don't think we know the basics and only give us the basic answer. 

Speaking of that, for some reason, your Power Down post is locked.  But I have the exact same problem with my X1 4K box.  Why won't it power down even though we have the power saver function on?  Did you ever figure that one out?

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Another frustrating step backwards in the latest update is the behavior of the Play/Pause button during slow motion.  Prior to the last update pressing that button would Pause, now it Plays.  This makes it virtually impossible to get to a desired point in the content.

 

Any chance this could be restored to the prior behavior in an upcoming Update?

 

We've lost so much already, and there's no way this is a legal/patent issue.  Probably just a bad change or mistake by someone who doesn't watch sports.

Expert

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates


@tctc wrote:

Another frustrating step backwards in the latest update is the behavior of the Play/Pause button during slow motion.  Prior to the last update pressing that button would Pause, now it Plays.  This makes it virtually impossible to get to a desired point in the content.

 

Any chance this could be restored to the prior behavior in an upcoming Update?

 

We've lost so much already, and there's no way this is a legal/patent issue.  Probably just a bad change or mistake by someone who doesn't watch sports.


that puzzles me. I've always wished the 1/2 speed slow-mo would pause on next hit of play/pause but never saw that feature at all. I now use iphone to reocrd regular play when needed then play from iphone where i can pause and scrub forward/backward frame by frame. maybe one day the UI will work like the legacy DVR. did.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

It's possible I'm wrong and it never worked that way, and I always used to press the button twice quickly and then it would pause?

Now even that doesn't work.  If you press the button twice, it will flash the Play icon, then show the Pause icon on the screen, but it will continue to play.

And obvious bug.

 

 


@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Another frustrating step backwards in the latest update is the behavior of the Play/Pause button during slow motion.  Prior to the last update pressing that button would Pause, now it Plays.  This makes it virtually impossible to get to a desired point in the content.

 

Any chance this could be restored to the prior behavior in an upcoming Update?

 

We've lost so much already, and there's no way this is a legal/patent issue.  Probably just a bad change or mistake by someone who doesn't watch sports.


that puzzles me. I've always wished the 1/2 speed slow-mo would pause on next hit of play/pause but never saw that feature at all. I now use iphone to reocrd regular play when needed then play from iphone where i can pause and scrub forward/backward frame by frame. maybe one day the UI will work like the legacy DVR. did.


 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

 


@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Another frustrating step backwards in the latest update is the behavior of the Play/Pause button during slow motion.  Prior to the last update pressing that button would Pause, now it Plays.  This makes it virtually impossible to get to a desired point in the content.

 

Any chance this could be restored to the prior behavior in an upcoming Update?

 

We've lost so much already, and there's no way this is a legal/patent issue.  Probably just a bad change or mistake by someone who doesn't watch sports.


that puzzles me. I've always wished the 1/2 speed slow-mo would pause on next hit of play/pause but never saw that feature at all. I now use iphone to reocrd regular play when needed then play from iphone where i can pause and scrub forward/backward frame by frame. maybe one day the UI will work like the legacy DVR. did.


So much for the oft repeated comments that their competitor's patents were set to expire by th end of 2018...

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I keep seeing links to articles in the forums about the patents/lawsuits, but none of them specifically mention the frame by frame / sl mo.

I've never believed that is the real reason X1 doesn't have it, if it is, it's even worse than a technical issue, because it means they could have paid a royalty and provided it to their customers, but chose not to.

 

Does Rovi own the patents on not resetting the Xfinity button to it's ridiculous default every night?

 


@rjc1247 wrote:

 


@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

Another frustrating step backwards in the latest update is the behavior of the Play/Pause button during slow motion.  Prior to the last update pressing that button would Pause, now it Plays.  This makes it virtually impossible to get to a desired point in the content.

 

Any chance this could be restored to the prior behavior in an upcoming Update?

 

We've lost so much already, and there's no way this is a legal/patent issue.  Probably just a bad change or mistake by someone who doesn't watch sports.


that puzzles me. I've always wished the 1/2 speed slow-mo would pause on next hit of play/pause but never saw that feature at all. I now use iphone to reocrd regular play when needed then play from iphone where i can pause and scrub forward/backward frame by frame. maybe one day the UI will work like the legacy DVR. did.


So much for the oft repeated comments that their competitor's patents were set to expire by th end of 2018...


 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Andrew or whomever at Comcast is taking feedback on upcoming x1 updates -

I have an issue from a recent update that I hope is fixed in an upcoming update. This is what I think is my second or third issue ever so that’s good news. The problem is when the box does its nightly reboot it is forgetting how far I have progressed in recent watched DVR shows. For example: last night I had watched the first 20ish minutes of greys anatomy. When I got up today it said I still had the full episode left to watch. This is not an isolated issue and has been Happening every day for a few days. I waited a few days to report because I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a one off kind of thing.

Thus, are you aware of this problem? Will it be fixed in an upcoming x1 update?
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I guess they aren't allowed to respond about future updates...

 

I've always had the same issue occasionally. Now it's become more like 75% of the time that resuming a recording is from the beginning, or some other prior time, but not where I last left off.  I guess they don't do much testing before releases.

 

We keep getting changes that make things worse more often than better.  It's now impossible to get to a specific frame since the prior update that changed the behavior of the pause/play button from slomo to pause, to now slomo to play.  Another terrible UI decision.

 


@brandonbob2376 wrote:
Andrew or whomever at Comcast is taking feedback on upcoming x1 updates -

I have an issue from a recent update that I hope is fixed in an upcoming update. This is what I think is my second or third issue ever so that’s good news. The problem is when the box does its nightly reboot it is forgetting how far I have progressed in recent watched DVR shows. For example: last night I had watched the first 20ish minutes of greys anatomy. When I got up today it said I still had the full episode left to watch. This is not an isolated issue and has been Happening every day for a few days. I waited a few days to report because I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a one off kind of thing.

Thus, are you aware of this problem? Will it be fixed in an upcoming x1 update?

 

Official Employee

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Hi @brandonbob2376, & @tctc

 

Thank you for posting your question to the Xfinity Forum. At this time, I am not aware of this problem, but, I'd be more than happy to gather more details and reach out to the Advanced Techs so we can look further into this. I'd also like to chat with you both in a private message so I can get your account information and create a ticket to continue following up with if necessary. In order to assist you, please send me a private message including your first and last name as it appears on your bill. To send a private message click on my name "ComcastChe", then click send a message. 

 

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

thats strange since others say they have this problem, see TCTC above. However, I just sent you a PM. I will check your reply in the AM.

Official Employee

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

It's definitely possible, I just haven't had the opportunity to assist anyone having this issue yet @brandonbob2376. I'm going to take a look into it for both of you. I've just replied to your private message. If you reply outside of my working hours, I will reach out when I get back. My working hours are Sundays - Thursdays 2:30-11 PM MST. 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Ever have any luck with a response on this new bug?

 

I still have the bug, and the progress is lost immediately on many occasions, it doesn't take an overnight refresh.  I can be watching a recording, switch to something else, switch back a minute later and it starts me up at the wrong time.   Happens very frequently, ever since the update previously mentioned.

 

There's 0 chance this can only be happening to me...

 


@brandonbob2376 wrote:

thats strange since others say they have this problem, see TCTC above. However, I just sent you a PM. I will check your reply in the AM.


 

Official Employee

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Hi all, You can view what is in the cloud by using the XFINITY Stream app. All cloud recordings are stored there as well as displayed there. Please let me know if you're still seeing issues with those recordings. 

 

tctc, How off is the bookmark time when you return to the recording? 

 

Ken

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Usually a few minutes if I go back to it after not very long, after a couple hours or the next day it frequently starts over at the beginning of the recording.

 


@ComcastKenF wrote:

Hi all, You can view what is in the cloud by using the XFINITY Stream app. All cloud recordings are stored there as well as displayed there. Please let me know if you're still seeing issues with those recordings. 

 

tctc, How off is the bookmark time when you return to the recording? 

 

Ken

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Another new "feature" since that last update - it will "pause" maybe one out of every 10 or 20 times that I select a function.  Stays there paused no matter how long I wait.  This happens with both DVR and buffer.

I do a lot of ff rw, skip, pause, etc., probably way more than most, and since that update it will be on Play or FF, but just do nothing until I press another button.

 

This didn't happen prior to that update.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

And while I'm here...

 

I don't remember ever getting a buffer when using On Demand, even on the main DVR.  And then a  while back, maybe years now, we lost the buffer on satellite boxes when the TV was turned off.  And now I get no buffer on a satellite box when going from a recorded show back to live, the same as if I had just been watching On Demand.

Is that new or has it always been that way, I don't use my satellite boxes as much as the main?

 

Kinda doubt that's another Rovi patent issue.

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Um...yes it is fixed for me but not in the way I expected. Firstly, sorry for my delayed reply TCTC but I am currently studying for the California State Bar, which is less then 3 weeks from today. The below is my memory of how this resolved but it was over a month ago so it is just a summary and might not be as detailed as it would have been a month ago.

 

Second, my issue was resolved by patience and persistence. When I finally made contact with someone from Comcast through here and via PM there was eventually a phone call set up. When that person called, I was not available and there was no way to get back to that person because that person was someone from an advanced tech support team and regular Comcast support wont transfer you there without them going thru the basic support stuff. I relayed this to the support person here via PM and he eventually concluded that his advanced team had come to the conclusion the problem was my box. They then insisted the only way to fix this was to replace the unit. I explained to them that was not an option because I have a massive amount of recordings because of aforementioned law school and bar study with not much time to catch up on viewing. I was then told I could still get a new box and view the recordings on the cloud. I relayed to him that was not an option because, as we all know, cloud recordings suffer from degradation. 

 

In the end, I told the Comcast rep via PM that in my opinion replacing the box is not the fix because the problem was with the software and they just have not had enough reports to call it a known issue yet and sending someone out will eventually lead to the problem coming back since, If i am correct it being software, then the box wont fix that problem.

 

So, weeks later the problem stopped happening, which I believe was because I was persistent I did not need a new box and patient for an update.....My guess is a update got pushed my way that resolved it....

 

Sorry for the long reply but it was a long fix and I believe all of the above is relevant. I still love Comcast and X1 but I did not love how this issue got resolved. 

 


@tctc wrote:

Ever have any luck with a response on this new bug?

 

I still have the bug, and the progress is lost immediately on many occasions, it doesn't take an overnight refresh.  I can be watching a recording, switch to something else, switch back a minute later and it starts me up at the wrong time.   Happens very frequently, ever since the update previously mentioned.

 

There's 0 chance this can only be happening to me...

 


@brandonbob2376 wrote:

thats strange since others say they have this problem, see TCTC above. However, I just sent you a PM. I will check your reply in the AM.


 


 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Well hopefully that's the case and I'll get that same update soon, I still have the issue.

 

Welcome to the world with the rest of us and the ongoing issues that you have miraculously skirted up until now, so sorry you had to join us!

 

Standard response to "replace the box" is so lazy and annoying.  Surprised they don't ask to "unplug and replug, is it fixed now"?  

 

Cloud recordings are horrible quality if that was even an option, which it's not.  I call them out on that every time.   "You can watch anything that you lose when you swap DVRs on the Cloud".   Completely incorrect, there is no cloud backup for most of my recordings, due to the storage being calculated differently and FIFO auto deletions...

 

Comcast, do you only partially back up your corporate and financial servers?   Cloud is useless, please dump it and give me a reasonably functioning DVR...  (yes, you may have to pay some license fees)

 


@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Um...yes it is fixed for me but not in the way I expected. Firstly, sorry for my delayed reply TCTC but I am currently studying for the California State Bar, which is less then 3 weeks from today. The below is my memory of how this resolved but it was over a month ago so it is just a summary and might not be as detailed as it would have been a month ago.

 

Second, my issue was resolved by patience and persistence. When I finally made contact with someone from Comcast through here and via PM there was eventually a phone call set up. When that person called, I was not available and there was no way to get back to that person because that person was someone from an advanced tech support team and regular Comcast support wont transfer you there without them going thru the basic support stuff. I relayed this to the support person here via PM and he eventually concluded that his advanced team had come to the conclusion the problem was my box. They then insisted the only way to fix this was to replace the unit. I explained to them that was not an option because I have a massive amount of recordings because of aforementioned law school and bar study with not much time to catch up on viewing. I was then told I could still get a new box and view the recordings on the cloud. I relayed to him that was not an option because, as we all know, cloud recordings suffer from degradation. 

 

In the end, I told the Comcast rep via PM that in my opinion replacing the box is not the fix because the problem was with the software and they just have not had enough reports to call it a known issue yet and sending someone out will eventually lead to the problem coming back since, If i am correct it being software, then the box wont fix that problem.

 

So, weeks later the problem stopped happening, which I believe was because I was persistent I did not need a new box and patient for an update.....My guess is a update got pushed my way that resolved it....

 

Sorry for the long reply but it was a long fix and I believe all of the above is relevant. I still love Comcast and X1 but I did not love how this issue got resolved. 

 


@tctc wrote:

Ever have any luck with a response on this new bug?

 

I still have the bug, and the progress is lost immediately on many occasions, it doesn't take an overnight refresh.  I can be watching a recording, switch to something else, switch back a minute later and it starts me up at the wrong time.   Happens very frequently, ever since the update previously mentioned.

 

There's 0 chance this can only be happening to me...

 


@brandonbob2376 wrote:

thats strange since others say they have this problem, see TCTC above. However, I just sent you a PM. I will check your reply in the AM.



Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Great update, Auto Resume.  Is there a doc somewhere that shows which programs offer this?  I just found it randomly on a couple of my recordings.  Best new feature since I've been a customer, hopefully it becomes widespread. 

 

Ridiculous/illegal update, removing Cinemax and continuing to charge me for it.

 

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

I am not sure what you mean by auto resume but if you are speaking of fast forwarding through commercials and it auto stops after the break, I have had that for almost a year. I love it!!

 

I have found it works on all mainstream networks (ABC, CBS, Fox, NBC) and a couple of the less mainstream. I think Bravo is the less mainstream it works on but dont qoute me on that.

 

Edit - I think you might not have known about it as early as I because it was a feature that had to be enabled in the comcast labs. Sounds like this might have become non labs feature, which is how you got it now. Just a theory...

 


@tctc wrote:

Great update, Auto Resume.  Is there a doc somewhere that shows which programs offer this?  I just found it randomly on a couple of my recordings.  Best new feature since I've been a customer, hopefully it becomes widespread. 

 

Ridiculous/illegal update, removing Cinemax and continuing to charge me for it.

 


 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

side bar question  - cinemax is one of the few channels I dont subscribe to so I am not affected by what you just reported. are you saying that Comcast no longer offers Cinemax?


@tctc wrote:

Great update, Auto Resume.  Is there a doc somewhere that shows which programs offer this?  I just found it randomly on a couple of my recordings.  Best new feature since I've been a customer, hopefully it becomes widespread. 

 

Ridiculous/illegal update, removing Cinemax and continuing to charge me for it.