Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Regular Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Just recently X1 got updated and it made a few things worse:

•  Notifications now turn the entire top 25% of the screen dark (the pop-up in the corner was fine before)
  •  Font size on notifications is smaller and harder to read. (Incoming called name is so tiny)
  •  I can no longer press the left arrow to see who previously called (new notifications are always empty)
Frequent Visitor

Hey there, Cody21!

@Cody21 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@I've seen & had responses from @COMCASTANDREWS, and others ... So was hoping this might get his/someone's attention.
PS - this happened again, last night.

I checked things out the day you posted (but I didn't get a chance to reply) and again today to compare. Everything looks good, well within spec, the only thing that really stood out were that for only having a modem and dvr the downstream signal seemed low. That being said you're also at and end of line tap and those generally have low signal. I would have a tech out to verify all outside and go from there.

Edit: No sooner do I post this and your equipment dropped about 5 db, also affecting a handful of others in your neighborhood.

Interesting.  So is it a "Neighborhood" Issue? and if so, is this something you can Report to your Tech Group to address?  or should I put in a Service Call?   Thanks  for responding !

It's difficult to say from the perspective of sitting behind a computer whether or not it is an 'area/neighborhood' issue, however as it was said earlier, calling in for a service call is definitely a good idea. I will say that there is a 97% chance that your problem is not related to the physical cable box / set-top box. There are a number of things that can cause that latency when pressing buttons on the remote: deficient signal, low downstream signal or power, but also upstream, just as much so, if not more. Comcast has much more powerful transmitters that communicate TO your box, than your box can match trying to communicate TO Comcast. 

One of the most common, easiest to fix (generally), and pervasive issues that causes latency is "electronic noise". These often manifest themselves in the form of FEC Errors. An FEC error may be either "Correctable", in which case it's really not particularly problematic, as the cable box has managed to recover that bit of info. or "Uncorrectable" which may show up in many different ways. An uncorrectable FEC error may cause pixelation, sound artifacts, latency, all kinds of error messages, or even preventing proper operation at all.

There is an easy fix that will solve about 40% of these issues (all depends what the cause is). If it is simply electronic noise within your residence, it may help, albeit a bandaid until

a tech can come out. You will want to "reseat the coax cable on one coax jack (back of modem/stb) with the power to that unit removed during the procedure"

1. Unplug the power from the back of the equipment (modem/stb).

2. Unscrew and remove the coax cable from the CABLE IN coax jack on the back of the equipment.

3. Check to make sure coax on wall plate is finger tight.

4. Screw the coax cable back into the CABLE IN coax jack on the back of the equipment, finger tight only.

5. Re-insert the power to the back of the equipment.

6. ???

7. Profit (and watch tv)

But, this kind of thing should really be in its own thread.

Expert

@Baldev wrote:

Hey there, Cody21!

@Cody21 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@I've seen & had responses from @COMCASTANDREWS, and others ... So was hoping this might get his/someone's attention.

I checked things out the day you posted (but I didn't get a chance to reply) and again today to compare. Everything looks good, well within spec, the only thing that really stood out were that for only having a modem and dvr the downstream signal seemed low. That being said you're also at and end of line tap and those generally have low signal. I would have a tech out to verify all outside and go from there.

Edit: No sooner do I post this and your equipment dropped about 5 db, also affecting a handful of others in your neighborhood.

Interesting.  So is it a "Neighborhood" Issue? and if so, is this something you can Report to your Tech Group to address?  or should I put in a Service Call?   Thanks  for responding !

It's difficult to say from the perspective of sitting behind a computer whether or not it is an 'area/neighborhood' issue, however as it was said earlier, calling in for a service call is definitely a good idea. I will say that there is a 97% chance that your problem is not related to the physical cable box / set-top box. There are a number of things that can cause that latency when pressing buttons on the remote: deficient signal, low downstream signal or power, but also upstream, just as much so, if not more. Comcast has much more powerful transmitters that communicate TO your box, than your box can match trying to communicate TO Comcast. 

One of the most common, easiest to fix (generally), and pervasive issues that causes latency is "electronic noise". These often manifest themselves in the form of FEC Errors. An FEC error can be either "Correctable", in which case it's really not particularly problematic, as the cable box has managed to recover that bit of info, but it's still not 'positive', or "Uncorrectable" which may show up in many different ways. An uncorrectable FEC error may cause pixelation, sound glitching, latency, all kinds of error messages, or even so far as preventing proper operation at all.

There is an easy fix that will solve about 40% of these issues (all depends what the cause is). If it is simply electronic noise within your residence, it may help, albeit a bandaid until a tech can come out. You will want to "reseat the coax cable on one coax receiver (modem/stb) with the power to that unit removed during the procedure"

2. Unscrew and remove the coax cable from the CABLE IN coax jack on the back of the equipment.

4. Screw the coax cable back into the CABLE IN coax jack on the back of the equipment, finger tight only.

6. ???

7. Profit

My favorite is your #6 Smiley Happy

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Valued Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@Baldev wrote:

Hey there, Cody21!

@Cody21 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

One of the most common, easiest to fix (generally), and pervasive issues that causes latency is "electronic noise". These often manifest themselves in the form of FEC Errors. An FEC error can be either "Correctable", in which case it's really not particularly problematic, as the cable box has managed to recover that bit of info, but it's still not 'positive', or "Uncorrectable" which may show up in many different ways. An uncorrectable FEC error may cause pixelation, sound glitching, latency, all kinds of error messages, or even so far as preventing proper operation at all.

There is an easy fix that will solve about 40% of these issues (all depends what the cause is). If it is simply electronic noise within your residence, it may help, albeit a bandaid until a tech can come out. You will want to "reseat the coax cable on one coax receiver (modem/stb) with the power to that unit removed during the procedure"

6. ???

7. Profit

My favorite is your #6 Smiley Happy

#6 is Comcast's usual response to problems and design issues!  

Diamond Problem Solver

@Cody21 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

How's everything been the last week? As of this morning the area looks better and you're equipment is all green. If you're still having issues, you will need a tech out to get it in the hands of the maintainance team.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Diamond Problem Solver

@jth182 wrote:

•  Notifications now turn the entire top 25% of the screen dark (the pop-up in the corner was fine before)
  •  Font size on notifications is smaller and harder to read. (Incoming called name is so tiny)
  •  I can no longer press the left arrow to see who previously called (new notifications are always empty)

The Control Panel is being replaced by a new Notifications Center, a work in progress and will be completed in a future update.

Regular Contributor

Some comments for discussion purposes only, not attacking...

"It's difficult to say from the perspective of sitting behind a computer whether or not it is an 'area/neighborhood' issue."

Difficult sure, but not impossible with the right tools, and Comcast has some pretty good tools at their disposal.

"I will say that there is a 97% chance that your problem is not related to the physical cable box / set-top box. There are a number of things that can cause that latency when pressing buttons on the remote: deficient signal, low downstream signal or power, but also upstream, just as much so, if not more. Comcast has much more powerful transmitters that communicate TO your box, than your box can match trying to communicate TO Comcast."

Not necessarily. The box can transmit as high as 61 dBmV with QPSK modulation on a single upstream channel, though more like 54 dBmV with 3-4 channel upstream bonding (normally 51 dBmV without extended transmit power capability). I only say that because the CMTS/CCAP downstream port, with as many downstream channels as Comcast probably has configured per port (at least 24), is going to be able to transmit at much less power than that, and has to get amplified along the way to the customer (less so with Comcast pushing fiber deeper into the network), whereas the box has to be able to transmit high enough to make it all the way back to the headend on its own. I think we can all agree though that yes the signal, upstream and downstream, being clean and within spec is important to the box working properly.

"One of the most common, easiest to fix (generally), and pervasive issues that causes latency is "electronic noise". These often manifest themselves in the form of FEC Errors. An FEC error may be either "Correctable", in which case it's really not particularly problematic, as the cable box has managed to recover that bit of info. or "Uncorrectable" which may show up in many different ways. An uncorrectable FEC error may cause pixelation, sound artifacts, latency, all kinds of error messages, or even preventing proper operation at all."

I know you said generally, but I think the techs in the field would dispute how easy it is to fix. Cable plants are a pain to maintain and some issues are nasty to track down. Agreed, uncorrectable are definitely bad. Correctable is debatable. The chips are doing what they were designed to do and there is no difference to the end user, but it could be a sign of worse things to come.

"There is an easy fix that will solve about 40% of these issues (all depends what the cause is). If it is simply electronic noise within your residence, it may help, albeit a bandaid until a tech can come out. You will want to "reseat the coax cable on one coax jack (back of modem/stb) with the power to that unit removed during the procedure"

6. ???
7. Profit (and watch tv)"

Why remove power to the box? Reseating the coax isn't related to the box being on. If you power cycle it and the problem is gone, was it the box/software clearing up or was it you fixing the coax? You won't know. If you do it fast enough, the box may not even reboot. A little slower, if you exceed the Tdsg timers set on the CMTS/CCAP chassis, and it will reboot anyway, or at least start scanning for a new downstream channel. Why only one box? Go ahead and do all outlets. Technically you can just check the tightness on all of them, and the integrity of the connectors, without removing them from the plugs. You specified finger tight, but should you not do a little more? Every connection in the home, really in the whole plant, is important. Finger tight seems like a recipe for connections coming loose later. You don't want to break the thing, but get a wrench (9/16" I think) and just give it a little turn. Also where are these 97% and 40% numbers coming from? In the words of Morgan Hess, sounds made up, and maybe you were just using them for illustrative purposes.

P.S. Watch out for those underpants stealing gnomes.

Frequent Visitor

[Disclaimer, this post is extremely technical in nature, and its details probably aren't relevant to the average individual looking for assistance, please don't push yourself to read it without a solid interest in the underlying details]

I love this! Thank you Lightstorm22. It's always refreshing to speak to someone with a moderately (at least) advanced understanding of coax / DOCSIS / CMTS / cable plant operation. Smiley Happy I appreciate your disclaimer about not attacking, haha, but I definitely am down for discussion, and ultimately learning if I've been mistaken.

"Some comments for discussion purposes only, not attacking...

"It's difficult to say from the perspective of sitting behind a computer whether or not it is an 'area/neighborhood' issue."

Difficult sure, but not impossible with the right tools, and Comcast has some pretty good tools at their disposal.

"I say this because in my experience, without going into more detail than I'm currently allowed to, Comcast has a number of tools that can indeed be used to check on these things, however even being able to see the status of the plant/node, its overall integrity, node score, DOCSIS integrity, and percent of devices online, as well as being able to look at physical areas and check their various signal stats, against proper specs, is definitely helpful, however it's generally considered to be incomplete to make determinations based solely on that information. For example, you may have a MDU (Multiple dwelling unit, apartment, college dorm, etc) focused problem that causes the overall integrity of the node to go down to 77% (and please understand I'm not saying plant integrity is the only, or even the most informative bit of info, but just as an overall look at the node), even though it's not so much of a node/plant issue as it is potentially the drop to the MDU, for example. The current school of thought is that in order to isolate a issue with the node/plant, a field tech needs to rule out residence related problems, as deep and complicated as that can be at times. If it is determined that the signal from the drop is low, and the drop is structurally fine, and there are no (significant) problems in the residence, then a field technician can submit a Refer To Maintenance (RTM) ticket for someone from the XOC (Xfinity [Network] Operations Center) to look at and assign a Network Maintenance Technician to check the node/plant. There are some one-off situations where it can be pretty simply determined that there is definitely an issue in the area, for example if the US SNR for everyone on the node is below 32dB (and showing yellow, or worse), it's pretty clear that that's not going to be solved by sending a field tech out to a single residence."

"I will say that there is a 97% chance that your problem is not related to the physical cable box / set-top box. There are a number of things that can cause that latency when pressing buttons on the remote: deficient signal, low downstream signal or power, but also upstream, just as much so, if not more. Comcast has much more powerful transmitters that communicate TO your box, than your box can match trying to communicate TO Comcast."

Not necessarily. The box can transmit as high as 61 dBmV with QPSK modulation on a single upstream channel, though more like 54 dBmV with 3-4 channel upstream bonding (normally 51 dBmV without extended transmit power capability). I only say that because the CMTS/CCAP downstream port, with as many downstream channels as Comcast probably has configured per port (at least 24), is going to be able to transmit at much less power than that, and has to get amplified along the way to the customer (less so with Comcast pushing fiber deeper into the network), whereas the box has to be able to transmit high enough to make it all the way back to the headend on its own. I think we can all agree though that yes the signal, upstream and downstream, being clean and within spec is important to the box working properly.

"Woohoo, no one talks about QPSK ... Had to look it up as opposed to standard QAM256. Long story short, I'm saying that the US SNR / US Power is slightly more vital to the customer experience (with X1 at least) than the DS SNR. A customer can survive more readily with midrange DS SNR than they can with midrange US SNR. And of course that's largely because from the CMTS downstream port to the box has more resources to push a signal, and it's easier to push a signal starting with fiber than starting with coax, unless it's RFoG, which is practically the same as fiber.  And yes I believe the current limit of downstream DOCSIS 3.0 channels is 24 per downstream port. But yes, I agree with you."

"One of the most common, easiest to fix (generally), and pervasive issues that causes latency is "electronic noise". These often manifest themselves in the form of FEC Errors. An FEC error may be either "Correctable", in which case it's really not particularly problematic, as the cable box has managed to recover that bit of info. or "Uncorrectable" which may show up in many different ways. An uncorrectable FEC error may cause pixelation, sound artifacts, latency, all kinds of error messages, or even prevent proper operation at all."

I know you said generally, but I think the techs in the field would dispute how easy it is to fix. Cable plants are a pain to maintain and some issues are nasty to track down. Agreed, uncorrectable are definitely bad. Correctable is debatable. The chips are doing what they were designed to do and there is no difference to the end user, but it could be a sign of worse things to come.

"Well... Once again I'm saying from a standpoint of the volume of electronic noise related problems that customers will call in about. Not to say that it's easy to fix at all times, but in general, it tends to come down to a bad coax jack / barrel connector, bad splitter, damaged coax cable, loose connections (something simple) in more cases than not, just from a standpoint of the sheer volume of problems, but from a node-wide view, I don't envy network techs their task! Sometimes you get Inside Ingress issues / signal leakage which can affect micro-legs of nodes, or even beyond that, and  so many other things; some that I am honestly not aware of; though I wish I were. Time, time, time. And about correctable errors - yes, once again, I agree with you. Not particularly problematic in the moment, but not a good sign. May indeed be a sign of issues to come."

"There is an easy fix that will solve about 40% of these issues (all depends what the cause is). If it is simply electronic noise within your residence, it may help, albeit a bandaid until a tech can come out. You will want to "reseat the coax cable on one coax jack (back of modem/stb) with the power to that unit removed during the procedure"

6. ???
7. Profit (and watch tv)"

Why remove power to the box? Reseating the coax isn't related to the box being on. If you power cycle it and the problem is gone, was it the box/software clearing up or was it you fixing the coax? You won't know. If you do it fast enough, the box may not even reboot. A little slower, if you exceed the Tdsg timers set on the CMTS/CCAP chassis, and it will reboot anyway, or at least start scanning for a new downstream channel. Why only one box? Go ahead and do all outlets. Technically you can just check the tightness on all of them, and the integrity of the connectors, without removing them from the plugs. You specified finger tight, but should you not do a little more? Every connection in the home, really in the whole plant, is important. Finger tight seems like a recipe for connections coming loose later. You don't want to break the thing, but get a wrench (9/16" I think) and just give it a little turn.

"So, the logic behind removing the power to the box is two-fold. 1. In my experience, inserting a coax cable into a 'CABLE IN' jack with the device powered on will cause extra electrical flotsam to make it onto the cable, which if a customer is already having grounding problems allowing noise to live on their line, may not dissipate easily on its own. It has generally been more effective to remove electronic noise / accumulation of either type of FEC errors by leaving the device unpowered during the connection of the coaxial cable. 2. So the second reason is a little cheap, I suppose, but given the ability of the first part to purify the signal somewhat (in appropriate conditions), a power cycle isn't gonna hurt it. Smiley Wink Also if issues do persist, it's time to get a technician on the case. // Why only one box? Due to the cables all generally being connected at a common location, which is henceforth connected to the ground block, generally one opening of the circuit is enough to remove the noise from the home coax network, and it's pretty quick, as opposed to the highly diminishing returns of reseating the coax on multiple units in the residence. // Why finger tight? I will agree with you that every connection in the whole plant is essentially important, and they all need to be tight. However, the reason I say finger tight, is because at that tightness, it will not cause any damage to the conductor / connector. It will get the appropriate level of conductance at that level, and any further tightening may (depending on the unique, individual coax end) cause its own problems. Going further, the average individual will be want to tighten it too much if they use a wrench. Without a careful, mindful hand, it is very easy to overtighten the coax outlet, potentially causing damage, and causing additional issues. HOWEVER! A little tighter than finger tight is probably fine if you're careful, and mindful. But in most situations you're asking for trouble if you tell people to get a wrench."

Also where are these 97% and 40% numbers coming from? In the words of Morgan Hess, sounds made up, and maybe you were just using them for illustrative purposes.

"Haha, I will say that the 97% number is based on field technician / repair agent figures, as well as normative experience as far as what causes the majority (from a standpoint of volume of issues) of troubles for customers. Given a random problem that a customer calls in about, there's approximately a 3% chance that the cause of the problem is their individual set-top box, or modem, and specifically that swapping out their equipment will resolve their problem. It's overwhelmingly more likely that there is a signal related problem causing trouble. BTW - I did not come up with that number, lol. And the 40% figure is based on my personal experience; once again, with the volume of issues that customers will call in about. "

P.S. Watch out for those underpants stealing gnomes.

"Very, very important advice." Smiley Happy

Expert

adding...

talk about noise issues everywhere. Had a customer (home TV service many years ago analog days) that every few to 10 minutes would have a pulse of 2-3 seconds where no picture any channel would play. Customer was right by a regional airport. pulled cable and rand a temporary TV outside antenna via coax and still had same problem. Contacted Radar approach control to ask if possible and they tested by turning off one then the other radar (safely) but problem was still there. Contacted a friend that worked as a TV engineer at station and he asked if I had tried disconnecting the various appliances and doorbell. It was the doorbell transformer being intermittent and even though enclosed fully in a steel jacket, it was impressing that much noise. Bit off topic (with apologies) but "it's always something, if not one thing, then another".

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

The Control Panel is being replaced by a new Notifications Center, a work in progress and will be completed in a future update.

==

Andrew....could you help me understand please. We use the notification area all the time for current weather temp and then access the weather app thru it.  Now it says "no new notifications"...."You are all caught up". It stopped working and then started again and now its stopped again.   I am not sure what you mean when you refer to the Control Panel??

So are you saying that we will not be able to see the temp or phone call logs using left arrow until an update sometime in the future? If so why didn't they just leave things the way they are so we can use them until a change comes? Makes no sense to me to remove notifications at this time.

Diamond Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

==

Andrew....could you help me understand please. We use the notification area all the time for current weather temp and then access the weather app thru it.  Now it says "no new notifications"...."You are all caught up". It stopped working and then started again and now its stopped again.   I am not sure what you mean when you refer to the Control Panel??

So are you saying that we will not be able to see the temp or phone call logs using left arrow until an update sometime in the future? If so why didn't they just leave things the way they are so we can use them until a change comes? Makes no sense to me to remove notifications at this time.

That area when you use the left arrow was called the Control Panel. You can use your voice remote and say "Weather" to access the weather.

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

==

That area when you use the left arrow was called the Control Panel. You can use your voice remote and say "Weather" to access the weather.

Thanks Andrew...... that works but now takes longer for the temp to appear on the screen rather  than just using left arrow to get the temp fast. I guess we got spoiled by instant gratification when we just wanted to know the temp. I still don't understand why the info was removed from control panel without warning or before it was replaced with something new.

Regular Contributor

@Baldev wrote:

[Disclaimer, this post is extremely technical in nature, and its details probably aren't relevant to the average individual looking for assistance, please don't push yourself to read it without a solid interest in the underlying details] 

Great post, Baldev. If you're interested, and didn't already know, the number of downstream channels a single port can support depends on the CMTS/CCAP hardware and software. Most modern CMTS ports are capable of generating 32 SC-QAM channels, and newer CCAP devices can generate as many as 128 SC-QAM (DOCSIS and Video) channels as well as 1 or 2 OFDM. I said 24 because I know Comcast does at least that the last I checked. On the other end, the most a DOCSIS 3.0 modem can bond is 32 SC-QAM DS channels, while a DOCSIS 3.1 modem can bond that plus 1 or 2 more OFDM channels (24 to 192 MHz in width).

Regular Contributor

@Baldev wrote:

Hey there, Cody21!

@Cody21 wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

One of the most common, easiest to fix (generally), and pervasive issues that causes latency is "electronic noise". These often manifest themselves in the form of FEC Errors. An FEC error may be either "Correctable", in which case it's really not particularly problematic, as the cable box has managed to recover that bit of info. or "Uncorrectable" which may show up in many different ways. An uncorrectable FEC error may cause pixelation, sound artifacts, latency, all kinds of error messages, or even preventing proper operation at all.

There is an easy fix that will solve about 40% of these issues (all depends what the cause is). If it is simply electronic noise within your residence, it may help, albeit a bandaid until

a tech can come out. You will want to "reseat the coax cable on one coax jack (back of modem/stb) with the power to that unit removed during the procedure"

6. ???

7. Profit (and watch tv)

But, this kind of thing should really be in its own thread.

Crazy ...  everything is tight. And Oh, I spoke to sson a few days ago. The issue came back last night. Horrible Latency (if that's what you want to call it). Just on the Menus. The Image quality was perfect itherwise once selecting a channel or recording.  Again, this is all new & just started about 3 weeks ago.  We perform a RESTART of the X1 and everything is fast, for a couple days.

Regular Contributor

Oh Great ! Another feature I like (Control Panel) gets the Axe. I liked this feature so naturally the powers that be at Comcast ZAPPED IT. I goes into the bit-bucket with real slo-mo and the recording buffer.

GRRRR !

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Oh Great ! Another feature I like (Control Panel) gets the Axe. I liked this feature so naturally the powers that be at Comcast ZAPPED IT. I goes into the bit-bucket with real slo-mo and the recording buffer.

GRRRR !

Why there is anyone at Comcast working on anything other than fixing a bug that has been outstanding for like 6 months is beyond me.  Every single person with any technical knowledge should be trying to fix the embarrasment of a platform where you can't even successfully delete a program.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

GRRRR !

Double GRRRR!  According to Andrew they are going to replace with something else but why in world take it away before the update. I had chatted with Comcast before asking Andrew and they told me that it was 'only' a pre-release feature and I could turn it on or off in Labs. OMG! She was directing me how to get to Labs and I informed her that there was NOTHING in Labs that had to do with control panel notifications of calls or temperature (or much else for that matter) and that  we have had the ability in the control panel (what I was calling the notification area) to see instant weather temp and recent calls for a very long time and she said she would 'report' the problem. <SIGH>

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

GRRRR !

Double GRRRR!  According to Andrew they are going to replace with something else but why in world take it away before the update. I had chatted with Comcast before asking Andrew and they told me that it was 'only' a pre-release feature and I could turn it on or off in Labs. OMG! She was directing me how to get to Labs and I informed her that there was NOTHING in Labs that had to do with control panel notifications of calls or temperature (or much else for that matter) and that  we have had the ability in the control panel (what I was calling the notification area) to see instant weather temp and recent calls for a very long time and she said she would 'report' the problem. <SIGH>

Just another example of Comcast not knowing or caring about the likes and desires of the customers. As far as Comcast labs goes, it seems to already have WENT !

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

GRRRR !

Just another example of Comcast not knowing or caring about the likes and desires of the customers. As far as Comcast labs goes, it seems to already have WENT !

Unlike programs watched or  no longer needed....they never WENT

Regular Contributor

When the control panel was first introduced I thought that it would allow one to select apps to be added to it. For instance if you looked at the stocks app a lot you could add it to the listing in control panel so you could access it faster than pressing the Xfinity button, then arrowing right four times to apps, and then down four times to the stocks app. However, this never was an option.

I would like to suggest that this is a feature to be added to Comcast labs so we would get the control panel app back and improve it at the same time. It seems Comcast is forcing everyone into using voice command remotes instead.

If the control panel is gone for good then how about programming the right arrow on the remote so it brings up a favorite apps listing that the user can set up. This way we could get weather, stocks etc. very quickly with the remote and would actually have more functionality then we had before instead of less.

Regular Contributor

The delete watched programs not deleting seems to have gotten worse in the past week - is this again a known issue?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@applehazar wrote:

The delete watched programs not deleting seems to have gotten worse in the past week - is this again a known issue?

Has been worse for me the last few days as well.  For several months it would happen maybe once a day, and seemed to happen only with my longer recordings.  Now it happens constantly with everything.

Yep, been a known issue for at least a year now.

I just saw an old post of mine, where it seemed to go away for a little while, and that was back in November...

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

When the control panel was first introduced I thought that it would allow one to select apps to be added to it. For instance if you looked at the stocks app a lot you could add it to the listing in control panel so you could access it faster than pressing the Xfinity button, then arrowing right four times to apps, and then down four times to the stocks app. However, this never was an option.

I would like to suggest that this is a feature to be added to Comcast labs so we would get the control panel app back and improve it at the same time. It seems Comcast is forcing everyone into using voice command remotes instead.

If the control panel is gone for good then how about programming the right arrow on the remote so it brings up a favorite apps listing that the user can set up. This way we could get weather, stocks etc. very quickly with the remote and would actually have more functionality then we had before instead of less.

That is one of the best creative ideas I have heard in a long time. It makes sense to be able to set up a screen with fav apps like we can with fave sports. Using the voice remote has its good points especially for for searching but when I just want instant temp now I have to wait by using the remote and like you said getting to stocks is a multistep process when it could be just one click in a control panel. How wonderful it would be to actually enhance the platform with user friendly feature like you describe. Seems these days they just roll out new bells and whistles for the younger set. God love 'em but hows about the adults who pay the bills getting something they want for a change. When Comcast ran ads to use the voice remote to get 'minions' to talk back I thought I was hallucinating.

Regular Contributor

The delete problem has been around for a lot longer than a year. Here are some things to try.

1. If the deleted program is still listed in the main recordings screen and says "DVR Unavailable" when you try to play it, go to the deleted recordings listings and you will generally find it listed there also. Most times if you permanently delete it from there it will go away from both listings.

2. If after trying step one above the recording is still there, go to the tools icon and then "Device Settings" and scroll down to "Sync DVR" and select it. This will usually get rid of the offending program.

3. If 1 & 2 don't work - Punt and hope your defence gets the ball back in Good field position. Smiley Happy

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

The delete problem has been around for a lot longer than a year. Here are some things to try.

1. If the deleted program is still listed in the main recordings screen and says "DVR Unavailable" when you try to play it, go to the deleted recordings listings and you will generally find it listed there also. Most times if you permanently delete it from there it will go away from both listings.

2. If after trying step one above the recording is still there, go to the tools icon and then "Device Settings" and scroll down to "Sync DVR" and select it. This will usually get rid of the offending program.

3. If 1 & 2 don't work - Punt and hope your defence gets the ball back in Good field position. Smiley Happy

I have done all those things over time. Usually the programs disappear the next day but not this week so I have added a layer to my ajuta.  So many hoops we have to jump thru  JUST to delete a program.....jeez.

Regular Contributor

Yep TeriB. Sometimes all you can do is wait for the offending program to go away. It all points to defective programming between the cloud and the box. I have found steps one and two work 99% of the time but as you say sometimes NOT ! I really would like to see my favorite apps idea get some attention as I think it would be appreciated by a lot of us who don't use smart phones for this type of action. It would be very easy to impliment for any skilled programmer.

Regular Contributor

Well I finally got the update that blows Control panel out of the water and I HATE IT ! Congratulations Comcast, you took a feature I used ALL THE TIME and replaced it with nothing but a BIG BLACK NOTIFICATIONS SCREEN. Now, checking the weather becomes a multi-keystroke nightmare. What's next? Rotary dial remote controls ?

Expert

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Well I finally got the update that blows Control panel out of the water and I HATE IT ! Congratulations Comcast, you took a feature I used ALL THE TIME and replaced it with nothing but a BIG BLACK NOTIFICATIONS SCREEN. Now, checking the weather becomes a multi-keystroke nightmare. What's next? Rotary dial remote controls ?

If you use the voice remote just say 'weather'.

Regular Contributor

I know I've said this before, but not everyone uses the Xfinity voice remote. I have a Logitech so I can control all my equipment. For that reason, using the voice commands is not always the answer, and perhaps features should be written for all to be able to use.

Regular Contributor

@Rustyben wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

That is not my point. I could of course do that or better still get Alexa from Amazon. My point is why remove a function that is used by many instead of inproving it like my suggestion for reprogramming the left arrow to bring up favorite apps.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

That is not my point. I could of course do that or better still get Alexa from Amazon. My point is why remove a function that is used by many instead of inproving it like my suggestion for reprogramming the left arrow to bring up favorite apps.

===

I totally agree. I can tune to weather scan or weather channel now faster than it takes to say 'weather' and wait for it to come on the screen....tick tick tick.  Also since recent calls used to be the other choice on the notification control panel and is now nowhere to be found I used the voice remote and said 'recent calls' and got a list of movies...so very helpful....not! So just take the darn left arrow function off all together rather than have the big black screen telling me no new notifications and  I am all caught up. I am more than annoyed by this latest removal of another useful feature and what harm would it have done to leave it ALONE. I just don't understand anything they do anymore.

Did an update take that screen off all together because I still have it.

Most Valued Poster

@lightstorm22 wrote:

I know I've said this before, but not everyone uses the Xfinity voice remote. I have a Logitech so I can control all my equipment. For that reason, using the voice commands is not always the answer, and perhaps features should be written for all to be able to use.

PREACH!

Most Valued Poster

IFTTT notifications need a dark background.

The new style is 100% opaque. The text blurs into the background making it hard to read.

Please fix. Or add option to customize.

Also, are IFTTT notifications supposed to show up in the Control Panel now? Because they dont. They should.
Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

===

I totally agree. I can tune to weather scan or weather channel now faster than it takes to say 'weather' and wait for it to come on the screen....tick tick tick.  Also since recent calls used to be the other choice on the notification control panel and is now nowhere to be found I used the voice remote and said 'recent calls' and got a list of movies...so very helpful....not! So just take the darn left arrow function off all together rather than have the big black screen telling me no new notifications and  I am all caught up. I am more than annoyed by this latest removal of another useful feature and what harm would it have done to leave it ALONE. I just don't understand anything they do anymore.

@TerriB wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

===

I'm also irritated about the loss. Just what notifications are we supposed to see ? I never had any in the entire lifetime of the control panel except calls I received and now even that doesn't work. The whole thing has turned into a Dunsill.

(Star Fleet Academy - Dunsill a part or function that serves no useful purpose)

Most Valued Poster

@adammusic22 wrote:
IFTTT notifications need a dark background.

The new style is 100% opaque. The text blurs into the background making it hard to read.

Please fix. Or add option to customize.

Also, are IFTTT notifications supposed to show up in the Control Panel now? Because they dont. They should.

I feel stupid but what is IFTTT for  X1? I know what it is generically but in X1? The notification control panel area we used to have using left arrow has been gone for a while. I don't understand what new style you speak of. I have nothiing there except the note telling me I have no new notifications and am 'all caught  up' which if course is just the default message now that the control panel is blank. Andrew suggested I use remote voice to get the current temp and extended forecast. Its not working well lately and when it does it takes forever to load just the temp. And of course there is no longer a way to get recent call log as there was before. I think I may be behind in updates....I have 1.7602 dated 05/16...Andrew......surely this is not the latest?

Most Valued Poster

@CCAndrew wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

Andrew, what server version are we supposed to have? I have 1.7602 dated 05/16. Surely thats not the latest?

Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

Andrew, what server version are we supposed to have? I have 1.7602 dated 05/16. Surely thats not the latest?

That's the same version I have, except the date is 6/16. 

Regular Contributor

The IFTTT app has the option to integrate with X1. I don't remember how I did it, and they have a TON of options to activate, but I use it just for weather forecasts and changes. I get a little popup in the top right corner of the screen just like TV Caller ID for things like current condition changes to rain or forecast is  for snow, things like that. It's pretty cool actually.

Most Valued Poster

@m45warrior1 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@jth182 wrote:

That's the same version I have, except the date is 6/16. 

Thanks for the sanity check but it sure looks like 05/16 on my screen. There is a '6' near the end of that line and I did have to look twice when I wrote down the version. Oh well.....old versions regardless....lol...so what is all this talk about new version and new stuff?

Most Valued Poster

@lightstorm22 wrote:

The IFTTT app has the option to integrate with X1. I don't remember how I did it, and they have a TON of options to activate, but I use it just for weather forecasts and changes. I get a little popup in the top right corner of the screen just like TV Caller ID for things like current condition changes to rain or forecast is  for snow, things like that. It's pretty cool actually.

Thats pretty cool but with all the stuff going wrong with X1 I don't think I want to add more crinkles to the wrinkles.  I was happy being able to press left arrow and get current conditions but now I might as well go to Weather Ch or Weather Scan Ch since it takes so long to get the current conditions using the voice remote. Why oh why do they keep taking away useful features.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Thats pretty cool but with all the stuff going wrong with X1 I don't think I want to add more crinkles to the wrinkles.  I was happy being able to press left arrow and get current conditions but now I might as well go to Weather Ch or Weather Scan Ch since it takes so long to get the current conditions using the voice remote. Why oh why do they keep taking away useful features.

The notifications, or lack of them,  you get with the left arrow are worthless. It no longer shows calls received or the weather so what good is it ? Comcast took another feature I liked and sent it into oblivion..

real slo - mo  = gone

recording Buffer = gone

Control Panel = Gone

Guide options like guide color and fonts = gone

Comcast labs = the equivalent of gone since there isn't anything much there anymore.

Regular Contributor

Oh my, nothing was sent into oblivion. A new feature is being rolled out, as Andrew said above. How about holding off on the panic that things are taken away until the new feature (Notification Center) is fully implemented?

as an FYI, you can still get temperature by clicking "info" on the remote or clicking "guide" or simple press the "xfinity button" all of those bring up current time and temperature. 

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Oh my, nothing was sent into oblivion. A new feature is being rolled out, as Andrew said above. How about holding off on the panic that things are taken away until the new feature (Notification Center) is fully implemented?

as an FYI, you can still get temperature by clicking "info" on the remote or clicking "guide" or simple press the "xfinity button" all of those bring up current time and temperature. 

Ouch brandonbob..... yes the control panel was indeed sent into obliviion. There is no panic nor is there anything from Andrew about what the feature might be or when it might be coming.  You may have  an inside track and you tell us all the time how your X1 experience is always perfect and thats great for you but its not that way for so many of the rest of us.

I am well aware that the temp is next to the time in itty bitty teeny weeny numbers whereas the control panel gave nice large temp and current conditions by pressing ONE button . Using info,etc only shows the temp for those who can actually read it but still no current conditions. The whole point is that we get used to nice useful features and then as Beowolf listed earlier they are taken away with no explanation.

Regular Contributor

there absolutely is word from andrew. This is what he said on the subject, which sounds like an explanation to me and which should allow people to realize that they are working on the feature and for all you know it might be as good if not better than what we used to have:

@CCAndrew wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Ouch brandonbob..... yes the control panel was indeed sent into obliviion. There is no panic nor is there anything from Andrew about what the feature might be or when it might be coming.  You may have  an inside track and you tell us all the time how your X1 experience is always perfect and thats great for you but its not that way for so many of the rest of us.

Regular Contributor

Yeah chill. Someone will make something sometime and you might like it. Consider yourself reassured.
Regular Contributor

Work in progress ? Right now it is a BIG nothing ! How about having the supposed new feature ready and roll it out before getting rid of a feature we like.  Right now the quickest I can get to the weather app is to keep the apps highlighted between uses.

So:

1 Xfinity Button - 1 keystroke

2. Apps - 1 keystroke

3. Down arrow three keystrokes

4  Weather app - 1 Keystroke

Equals 5 keystrokes to do what I could do with 2 before. If you aren't on apps already such as "Saved" make that 3 more keystokes for a total of 8. UGH, UGH and more UGH Chug ! Chug !

Regular Contributor

@lightstorm22 wrote:
Yeah chill. Someone will make something sometime and you might like it. Consider yourself reassured.

Hah, not saying you're wrong, well, actually you're almost dead on.  It's the X1 way.

Someone will make something sometime and you might like it.   Or not...

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Hah, not saying you're wrong, well, actually you're almost dead on.  It's the X1 way.

My point which seems to elude Comcast is:

Good programming would be to have the new replacement for Control panel READY and THEN replace the Control panel with the new message center instead of having to wait for some nebulous period of time for a replacement to occur. Just what does turning on the voice part of the current notifications do ? It sure doesn't show calls received like it use to. For the record, I am not panicked about the change, just irritated.

I look at the humidity levels as well as the temperature so the suggestions about the "info" button are useless for my needs.

Regular Contributor

someone from comcast can correct me if i am wrong but I beleive voice notifications allow the pop up in the upper right corner with caller ID when a call is coming in. I am not talking about the log that used to be in control panel, I am speaking of caller ID while the phone is ringing. This feature has been a part of x1 since I first had it installed and works great!

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Just what does turning on the voice part of the current notifications do ? It sure doesn't show calls received like it use to.

Regular Contributor

I never said it  the same as a call log. Actually, if you read my message I said exactly the opposite. Furthermore, I was answering BeoWolfJones's question about what does notifications for voice do. I said it is a feature that has been live since the beginning of x1 (and works great) and serves a different purpose of telling you who is calling when a call is coming in. 

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

someone from comcast can correct me if i am wrong but I beleive voice notifications allow the pop up in the upper right corner with caller ID when a call is coming in. I am not talking about the log that used to be in control panel, I am speaking of caller ID while the phone is ringing. This feature has been a part of x1 since I first had it installed and works great!

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Just what does turning on the voice part of the current notifications do ? It sure doesn't show calls received like it use to.

Caller id in the upper right corner of the screen as a call comes in is nowhere near the same thing as the former list of all  calls from current day.