Moved:

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Expert
Moved:

Regular Contributor

TerriB wrote:

New wrinkle to issue of X1 skipping episode of series recordings. Not sure if Comcast was making 'adjustments' last evening but new anomaly reared up. I knew that they were going to remove the 200 series HD channels and not sure if last evening was when they did it but they were gone. Is it possible that may have created the problem we had and looking to see if anyone else saw what we saw (or didn't see)...... Series recording set for Grandfathered  8-8:30 PM and NCIS 9-10PM. Red recording light was not on. Scheduled recording list said they were both 'recordiing now' but they were not on the recorded list.  We went to scheduled list and pressed 'watch' to see if the shows were 'really' there but nothing happened.   Shows that started 8:30 or later were ok and light was on. Checked recordings list later last evening and those two shows were still not there but this morning they were. Never saw this behavoir before and of course now I am a bit paranoid. We have had the latest update versions for some time so its not that.

Sanity Check?

I had this happen when Comcast Changed the channel line up. I had to Cancel the series recording and then set it up again. Once, I had to set it to "All Episodes" to get it to work. Just another example of the squirrely behavior we have come to expect from the X1 DVR

(Digital Video Regurgitation) service. We used to be informed about channels being changed but now Comcast just does it by fiat.

SPQC - Senātus Populusque Comcastus (The Senate and the People of Comcast.)

Regular Contributor

Just got

XRE -  1.57.07

STB - 2.1p8s1

I wasn't aware that there were caps on the TV side. Are you telling me that if I decided to Use Amazon prime or Netflix alot I could exceed my monthly streaming allotment ? It sure sounds like it. What about streaming it to my PC ? Same thing ? At 5.2 gb for a standard def movie and more for a HD movie it could add up pretty quickly. Another hidden problem just waiting to jump up and bite me.

Reminds me of Binkley on Calvin and Hobbs and the Anxiety Closet. By the way the forum is acting up again.

I just edited this post because I saw I had entered "Monthly Screaming allotment" Some of my fumble - fingered typos are better than the original intent !

Regular Contributor

Bewolf, only if your in one of the handful of areas Andrew mentioned. I'm not but you might. Check his link to verify if your in a data cap test area
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

New wrinkle to issue of X1 skipping episode of series recordings. Not sure if Comcast was making 'adjustments' last evening but new anomaly reared up. I knew that they were going to remove the 200 series HD channels and not sure if last evening was when they did it but they were gone. Is it possible that may have created the problem we had and looking to see if anyone else saw what we saw (or didn't see)...... Series recording set for Grandfathered  8-8:30 PM and NCIS 9-10PM. Red recording light was not on. Scheduled recording list said they were both 'recordiing now' but they were not on the recorded list.  We went to scheduled list and pressed 'watch' to see if the shows were 'really' there but nothing happened.   Shows that started 8:30 or later were ok and light was on. Checked recordings list later last evening and those two shows were still not there but this morning they were. Never saw this behavoir before and of course now I am a bit paranoid. We have had the latest update versions for some time so its not that.

Sanity Check?

I had this happen when Comcast Changed the channel line up. I had to Cancel the series recording and then set it up again. Once, I had to set it to "All Episodes" to get it to work. Just another example of the squirrely behavior we have come to expect from the X1 DVR

(Digital Video Regurgitation) service. We used to be informed about channels being changed but now Comcast just does it by fiat.

SPQC - Senātus Populusque Comcastus (The Senate and the People of Comcast.)

Theoretically I guess removing the 200 series is a channel line up change. My series recordings seem to be intact and it was only the 8-8:30 and 9-10 shows that showed they were recording but they didn't show up on recorded list until today.  The absence of the red recording light was the indicator that something was notright but it came on at 8:30 when another show started to record.  I GIVE UP!squirrel.jpg

Regular Contributor

Dear Peter Nush, Vice President, Product Management, Comcast Cable in TV,

Re: October Updates - NEW ON X1: EXTRA CONTENT AND ACCESSIBILITY MADE EASY

I don't want extra content, I want a modern DVR experience, and a consistently performing platform, so that I can access and watch the content that I already pay for without constant frustration.

"It is a dream I have."  King Arthur

Expert

they rolled me back to 158.02 dated 9/18 .. weird. unplug reboot didn't get newer xre

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

XRE 1.58.02 10/19/2015 as of this morning.
Expert

watched one tv show and now on 158.02 10/19 too  fw 2.16p6s1 mx011an

no menu changes that i can detect

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

I am on:

XRE - 1.57.07

STB - 2.1p8s1

The forum's Kudo Count is back. Something odd this morning. I wanted to back up a show at about 8:00 am MDT and the progress bar showed blue all the back to 3:00 AM ! I first thought the latest upgrade had extended the period you could back up a live channel but when I hit rewind I was only able to back up about 20 minutes. We used to be able to back up standard def programs almost 2 1/2 hrs. but now it is about only an hour and a half. The backup time returned to normal later in the day.  The Channel had not been changed so I should have been able to back up about 1 1/2 hrs. I guess the "Cloud" was the culprit. The term I would apply to our latest DVR version is: "Devolution". Six tuners and you can't spontaneously record a show that has already started and get it from the beginning ?

Everyone wants this capability.

Comcast seems to be focused on pandering completely to the "Mobile device" crowd at the expense of regular viewers. I have a sophisticated home theater system and a DVR operating system that's constructed using stone knives and bearskins. The old pre-X1 DVR's worked much better and were much more reliable. I just don't understand why the X1 system can't be an improvement on existing capabilities instead of what it is now.

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I am on:

XRE - 1.57.07

STB - 2.1p8s1

The forum's Kudo Count is back. Something odd this morning. I wanted to back up a show at about 8:00 am MDT and the progress bar showed blue all the back to 3:00 AM ! I first thought the latest upgrade had extended the period you could back up a live channel but when I hit rewind I was only able to back up about 20 minutes. We used to be able to back up standard def programs almost 2 1/2 hrs. but now it is about only an hour and a half. The backup time returned to normal later in the day.  The Channel had not been changed so I should have been able to back up about 1 1/2 hrs. I guess the "Cloud" was the culprit. The term I would apply to our latest DVR version is: "Devolution". Six tuners and you can't spontaneously record a show that has already started and get it from the beginning ?

Everyone wants this capability.

Comcast seems to be focused on pandering completely to the "Mobile device" crowd at the expense of regular viewers. I have a sophisticated home theater system and a DVR operating system that's constructed using stone knives and bearskins. The old pre-X1 DVR's worked much better and were much more reliable. I just don't understand why the X1 system can't be an improvement on existing capabilities instead of what it is now.

Someone previously posted that there are issues with patents and intellectual property regarding Tivo, as if Comcast couldn't implement certain things because they weren't willing to pay Tivo.  But I'm wondering if this can really be true, since the preX1 DVR could do much more than this one.

Or is it the case that in the past Comcast was paying Tivo a royalty on that implementation, and then they decided to stop paying (and stick us with an inferior product)?

Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:
Someone previously posted that there are issues with patents and intellectual property regarding Tivo, as if Comcast couldn't implement certain things because they weren't willing to pay Tivo.  But I'm wondering if this can really be true, since the preX1 DVR could do much more than this one.

Or is it the case that in the past Comcast was paying Tivo a royalty on that implementation, and then they decided to stop paying (and stick us with an inferior product)?

***********************************************************************************************************

You raise an interesting point about our current X1 DVR capabilities. The old pre-X1 DVR could record a program that had already started from the beginning with no problem. Some have suggested the "Cloud" is the problem. I don't know which is the truth and Comcast isn't telling us why they can't do it.  All I know for sure is the current implementation is really poor. It just doesn't make sense to have six tuners but recording capability less then we have always had. Being able to record a show from the beginning doesn't seem like a patent violation. Did the first Windows OS Bogart the "Look and feel" of the Mac OS ?  I would say yes,  but that didn't stop Microsoft. DVR technology is pretty mature so I don't think patent infringement is the real culprit. Any Comcast employee clarification on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I also miss interrupted recordings showing as two recordings. At least I knew there was an interruption and could play the second part at my leisure. Now, if I'm watching an interrupted recording and fail to press OK quick enough to the "Play second Part of recording" message, I have to start all over at the beginning and FF to the interrupted part again. Who thought that this was an improvement ? It's a given that any recording I make that spans the nightly reboot will have an interruption. Any OS that requires a nightly reboot is suspect. The system should only have to reboot for a software upgrade. It sounds like the programmers have a serious "Garbage Collection" issue.

Regular Contributor

@BeowolfJones wrote:

@tctc wrote:

***********************************************************************************************************

You raise an interesting point about our current X1 DVR capabilities. The old pre-X1 DVR could record a program that had already started from the beginning with no problem. Some have suggested the "Cloud" is the problem. I don't know which is the truth and Comcast isn't telling us why they can't do it.  All I know for sure is the current implementation is really poor. It just doesn't make sense to have six tuners but recording capability less then we have always had. Being able to record a show from the beginning doesn't seem like a patent violation. Did the first Windows OS Bogart the "Look and feel" of the Mac OS ?  I would say yes,  but that didn't stop Microsoft. DVR technology is pretty mature so I don't think patent infringement is the real culprit. Any Comcast employee clarification on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

I also miss interrupted recordings showing as two recordings. At least I knew there was an interruption and could play the second part at my leisure. Now, if I'm watching an interrupted recording and fail to press OK quick enough to the "Play second Part of recording" message, I have to start all over at the beginning and FF to the interrupted part again. Who thought that this was an improvement ? It's a given that any recording I make that spans the nightly reboot will have an interruption. Any OS that requires a nightly reboot is suspect. The system should only have to reboot for a software upgrade. It sounds like the programmers have a serious "Garbage Collection" issue.

Actually, since recording the full buffer, real slow motion, and frame by frame, all existed at one point or another in X1, I doubt it's an ip issue, just poor implementation choices.

I agree, the new continuation after interruption is easier in some ways, but having the knowledge that there's an interruption would be very useful.  Many times you could just re-record the content at a different time, so you don't have to miss anything or deal with the interrupt.  But you have no idea you need to do this if you can't tell by looking at the recording that there was an interruption.

Expert
Moved:

Post Moved and Merged into Existing Thread "X1 Technical Issues" Thread. This Thread is for Upcoming X1 Updates, not for existing technical issues.

Regular Contributor

I feel like I should take a moment and congratulate geek on his, what I think is new, role as moderator of this thread.

Official Employee

From now through December 14, in partnership with Cartoon Network and its series Teen Titans Go!, XFINITY on the X1 Entertainment Operating System supports “Beast Boy”-related voice commands to help increase engagement with the voice remote from XFINITY.

Using the voice remote (or the XFINITY X1 Remote app), X1 customers can say phrases like “Hello Beast Boy,” “Booyah Buddy” and “Boy Wonder” to be redirected to the Teen Titans Go! entity page and receive audio feedback from the superhero himself.

1.58 update coming soon

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

From now through December 14, in partnership with Cartoon Network and its series Teen Titans Go!, XFINITY on the X1 Entertainment Operating System supports “Beast Boy”-related voice commands to help increase engagement with the voice remote from XFINITY.

Using the voice remote (or the XFINITY X1 Remote app), X1 customers can say phrases like “Hello Beast Boy,” “Booyah Buddy” and “Boy Wonder” to be redirected to the Teen Titans Go! entity page and receive audio feedback from the superhero himself.

1.58 update coming soon

later than 1.58.02?

Most Valued Poster

@geek46 wrote:
Post Moved and Merged into Existing Thread "X1 Technical Issues" Thread. This Thread is for Upcoming X1 Updates, not for existing technical issues.

So glad to see your new role...keep up the good work

Most Valued Poster

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

1.58 update coming soon

Andrew, this and the Minions 'speak' with the remote is just silly fluff.  Cute for the kiddies but thats about it. What concerns many of us is that Comcast keeps offering bells and whistles and

fluff while the really useful features get taken away.

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

1.58 update coming soon

Andrew, this and the Minions 'speak' with the remote is just silly fluff.  Cute for the kiddies but thats about it. What concerns many of us is that Comcast keeps offering bells and whistles and

...like buffer recording, usable slo-mo, and frame-by-frame advance!!!

Most Valued Poster

@rjc1247 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

1.58 update coming soon

rjc....I was going to list those features but thought I would let you do the honors and you did...thanks

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@rjc1247 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@ComcastAndrew wrote:

1.58 update coming soon

rjc....I was going to list those features but thought I would let you do the honors and you did...thanks

Preaching to the choir, TerriB -- sadly no Comcast employee has ever (and I doubt ever will) specifically respond to these concerns.  At this point, I'd even reluctantly take a "never going to happen because..." over having these issues consistently ignored!!! 

Frequent Visitor

Ok, let me say it....... "It's never gonna happen because" you are among 5 or 6 people that raise issues (i would never say complain...lol) on the forum about the things that comcast does wrong (and i agree with you). The reason it's never gonna happen is comcast will never listen to a handful of people while they have 10's of millions of people paying them every month. Even though i agree with you i can only assume that these forums act as a "couch time session" for you.

Ok, let the cannons point at me for saying what i said.... lol

Sent from my iPhone
Regular Contributor

@skibumvt wrote:
Ok, let me say it....... "It's never gonna happen because" you are among 5 or 6 people that raise issues (i would never say complain...lol) on the forum about the things that comcast does wrong (and i agree with you). The reason it's never gonna happen is comcast will never listen to a handful of people while they have 10's of millions of people paying them every month. Even though i agree with you i can only assume that these forums act as a "couch time session" for you.

Sent from my iPhone

If every Scientist or Inventor took your approach,  we would still be living in caves. It is up to each individual to decide weather or not to "stay with the herd" or venture outside.  Most of us here hope that someday we will get through to the powers that be. If the forum is considered as a microcosm of the general population of Comcast customers then our concerns are also shared by millions of users. The biggest update Comcast could provide would be to finally release a stable system.

1. The remote can always produce a immediate reaction from the box.  None of this 10 -20 sec delay stuff.  Key presses piling up on key presses to produce a nightmare.

2. No more "unable to tune to Channel" messages.  Six tuners and not one of them can tune to the channel ? Bogus.

3. Just simple no more Same Mo, Same Mo upgrades. Go back to sane IT practice and fix what you have before adding more lint.

“Some people see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say, why not?” 

Robert F Kennedy  (1925-1968)

Kennedy's version of a George Bernard Shaw line from the play Back to Methuselah,  published in 1921.                 

Official Employee

Spanish Voice Control is now available for XFINITY on the X1 Entertainment Operating System!

• Launched as a beta trial, this voice control feature provides our Spanish-speaking customers the ability to switch channels, find On Demand content and view their favorite TV shows and movies more easily than ever before.
  • To activate the Spanish Voice Control beta, simply change your X1 menu language to Spanish by navigating to Settings > Language > Menu Language.
  • Note: this beta is currently available on X1 DVR set-top boxes using the XR11 (voice remote), and cannot be accessed using the X1 Remote app or with RNG150 set-top boxes.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Most Valued Poster

@skibumvt wrote:

Sent from my iPhone

I beg your pardon! Couch time session? WOW what a terrible thing to say. My Psych degree just fell off the wall.  Its not just a handful of people but it is a shame that most users don't post their issues or don't even know the forums exist.  They just complain to themselves or friends/family but what good does that do. We are trying to be advocates for all those having similar issues/problems. Some go to the customer service centers or call and some email or write letters and some use the forums. I for one have done ALL of the above. Best case is that they make a ticket which goes nowhere or they send a tech who can't do a thing to help with a blurry or too small  font. None of it seems to make a difference with Comcast because like you said millions pay their bills and it is becoming more and more clear that the bottom line is what they care about and not customer satisfaction. Their advertising is bunk as they don't deliver what they promise and when they do provide a great feature like recording buffering/slo mo/frame by frame......poof..they remove it.

Regular Contributor

I now have

XRE 1.58.02

STB 2.1p8s1

Something very odd. I was watching TV when suddenly the channel logo popped up and I got a RDK error saying the channel was not available to watch and to try again later. Yeah, Right. I couldn't change the channel or watch the DVR or anything useful. After waiting 5 minutes I rebooted the box. I could have given birth waiting for the reboot to happen. Then I got a message I had never seen before "preparing your Channel lineup"  for almost 5 minutes then the box finally started working again.  Is this some new wrinkle in the latest release ?   I thought I was done with these types of problems when Comcast fixed the outside signal problems but NOOOOOO !  I guess it was time for my monthly ration of X1 problems. 

Expert

got XRE 1.58.03 (10/27/2015) today still on fw 2.1p8s1

signal strength when triggered times out with 'unfortunately, we cannot detect your signal strength at this time. Please try again later." message.

no menu changes that I can tell.

Silver Problem Solver

What market gets those updates?  Houston is behind you.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

What market gets those updates?  Houston is behind you.

in great south market along with houston. I have 3 DVRs. the old ones (pace version 1 with 5 tuners) had 2 that got quick updates the other one 2 weeks later. The 3 replacements (arris 6 tuners) have 2 'late' and one early update. I swap them around so the one I use most of the day is the early one. Smiley Happy

Expert

XRE 158.02

STB 2.1p9s1

South FL market

Ray

Regular Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

XRE 158.02

STB 2.1p9s1

South FL market

Ray

Updates are coming fast and furious which I like however I am not seeing anything new or at least exciting in like over a year. I guess all we get now is pretty much mostly bug fixes.I just wonder if there will be major enhancements and or UI changes added to X1 in the near future?

Silver Problem Solver

I don't think there will be any changes that the majority of participants here would like to see.

Ever.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I now have

XRE 1.58.02

STB 2.1p8s1

Something very odd. I was watching TV when suddenly the channel logo popped up and I got a RDK error saying the channel was not available to watch and to try again later. Yeah, Right. I couldn't change the channel or watch the DVR or anything useful. After waiting 5 minutes I rebooted the box. I could have given birth waiting for the reboot to happen. Then I got a message I had never seen before "preparing your Channel lineup"  for almost 5 minutes then the box finally started working again.  Is this some new wrinkle in the latest release ?   I thought I was done with these types of problems when Comcast fixed the outside signal problems but NOOOOOO !  I guess it was time for my monthly ration of X1 problems. 

I was in the birthing room with you! We were watching NBC news at 7  eastern time and Lester Holt was starting the item about the power snafu at the W Series game and I wanted Norman to see it and WAP...out went Comcast. Good news with X1 is it comes back all by itself without any human intervention.....bad news is that it cycled more than once with strange messages. I was making supper so didn't pay much attention to the messages but knew I had never seen them before.

Regular Contributor

PX013AN_2.1p9s1 and XRE server 1.58.03

Hard to see any changes that stand out
Regular Contributor

@RobertWy wrote:

I don't think there will be any changes that the majority of participants here would like to see.

Ever.

I've tried a couple different forums and actually got Peter Nush (the Comcast VP who's name is attached to all of the update posts) to reply to a comment I posted on linkedin.

He sent me his email address and asked for details on what wasn't working for me.  I sent a long email a few days ago detailing everything I could think of, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm certainly not holding my breath, but I don't see any reason why they can't implement some of the basic DVR functionality that has been requested/discussed/removed...

Gold Problem Solver

@tctc wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Ever.

I've tried a couple different forums and actually got Peter Nush (the Comcast VP who's name is attached to all of the update posts) to reply to a comment I posted on linkedin.

He sent me his email address and asked for details on what wasn't working for me.  I sent a long email a few days ago detailing everything I could think of, but haven't heard back yet.

I'm certainly not holding my breath, but I don't see any reason why they can't implement some of the basic DVR functionality that has been requested/discussed/removed...

TiVo patents....

tctc did you ever post your signal levels???

Regular Contributor

@RickGr4 wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Ever.

TiVo patents....

tctc did you ever post your signal levels???

If patents are the issue, then how did X1 have slow mo and frame by frame and buffer record in the past?  They all existed at some point. Did they have license agreements that expired?

And how can TiVo have those things patented, when they existed on a VCR 40 years ago?

Yes, think they ended up being posted in the other thread, but i'll try again here.

Regular Contributor

IMG_40882.jpg

Regular Contributor

Here is a new twist to Sunday night shows not recording on time due to football overruns.

On Sunday, Nov. 1, I had my usual shows to record at the times indicated on the X1 guide - 60 minutes was supposed to start at 7:30 and Madam Secretary at 8:30. Our friends at Comcast were taking into account football overruns.

Guess what?!

There was no football overrun on CBS.  But since no one at Comcsat fixed this, each recording started half an hour late, in the middle of the show, not the show's actual start time.

Thanks Comcast for causing me to miss the first half of 60 minutes and screwing up the entire evening of CBS recordings.

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Ever.

You are my newest hero tctc! He may be sorry he gave you his email addy....lol.  May I ask if you included 'strong' need for the features we lost aka....recording buffer, true slo mo and frame by frame? I fear that any response is going to be more Comcastspeak and not actually from his mouth but will probably include an apology.

Regular Contributor

IMG_40882.jpg

Regular Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Ever.

You are my newest hero tctc! He may be sorry he gave you his email addy....lol.  May I ask if you included 'strong' need for the features we lost aka....recording buffer, true slo mo and frame by frame? I fear that any response is going to be more Comcastspeak and not actually from his mouth but will probably include an apology.

Here's what I included, let me know if you want something else added as a follow up.   Hopefully I'll get a reply.

Here’s my list of every day issues:  (I have had techs out several times, they say my signals are great, and this is just expected platform performance.)
- slow response, slow guide load, slow content load (intermittent) (this is for the main DVR, the satellite box delay is another issue entirely)
- content does not delete (intermittent)
- choppy fast forward (intermittent)
- recordings list and %Full on the DVR, xtv.comcast.net, and xfinitytv.comcast.net My DVR Manager, do not match
- deleted recordings still show up in Scheduled Recordings
- resumed content starts from the beginning instead of from where last left off (intermittent)
- from pause to slow motion sometimes goes to FF instead
- attempting to rewind a short period of time produces various results (1 nothing; 2 apparent short rewind but then starts at same place, so effectively nothing: 3 long rewind)
- quickly pressing play then pause misses the pause about 1/4 of the time  (play and pause should not be on the same button) 
- the progress bar and associated bottom 25%+ of the screen being blacked out takes way too long to go away and unnecessarily blocks content
- the icon in the middle of the screen is too large, blocks content, and stays on too long
- recently viewed content in the For You and On Demand shows parental controlled content (toggling off Recently viewed content fixes this, except that also removes the Last Watched items list, and there is no other way to skip back to the last channel)

List of basic DVR functionality that users are requesting, much of which used to be part of X1 (some of which was available on the previous Comcast platform, as well as my VCR).
- true slow motion speed, forward and reverse
- frame by frame advance
- buffer recording
- buffer continuing when watching on demand
- variable font sizing for closed captioning
- one button access to Recordings (takes at least 4 button presses to access recordings)

Wish list:
- multiple options for skip forward and back (programmable)
- show amount of time from current location in buffer or recording to Live
- consolidate phone apps, it’s very difficult to know which to use for what
- ability to access DVR content when there is an outage (cloud should be for storage, not operation, and any locally stored content should always be accessible)
- allow the option to remove the icons and progress bar for actions like skip forward or back, and make their time on the screen programmable
- auto extend is great, also having many more options of how long to extend any type of content would be great.  I believe more options have been added recently if the Guide knows the event is a sporting event, which isn’t always the case (currently early start and extend options are different on the DVR and web sites)

Don’t get me wrong, there are a ton of great features and advancements in X1, many of them in content discovery and curation, which is huge given the amount of content and channels these days. But there are a lot of frustrations that seem like easy fixes, mostly with the DVR performance, and in particular, watching sports is a very frustrating experience compared the previous platform.
Regular Contributor

I find it hard to believe that slo - mo and buffer recording are infringements to TiVo patents. Such basic functions are part of any DVR that works PROPERLY. Somewhere in the pile of posts someone said the programmers dropped the buffer recording because they couldn't figure out how to do it in the cloud based environment. I deem this as a more likely scenario. AS TerriB said a few posts ago the cloud was envisioned as a real boon to the user IF the Technology was properly implemented. I believe Comcast rolled out X1 before the infrastructure of back end servers was robust enough to support it. I still see some slow response sometimes even though my signal levels are all within spec now. I attribute these slow periods to server problems. I wish there was some way to see if the DVR is recording the channel you are on constantly like it used to do. This made it easy to include the portion of a program you had already viewed into a recording. Tctc see if you can get an answer from Mr. Nush.

X1 will not be the great product they advertise as long as the DVR forces the users to hop on one leg. In any flow through system the slowest process will limit the rest of the system. Putting a super fast microprocessor in a PC with  a slow bus is an example. The Main DVR X1 box is limiting what we can do with no buffer recording. Six tuners and we can't really take advantage of them ? Seems like a no brainer.

Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

Ever.

Here's what I included, let me know if you want something else added as a follow up.   Hopefully I'll get a reply.

Here’s my list of every day issues:  (I have had techs out several times, they say my signals are great, and this is just expected platform performance.)
- slow response, slow guide load, slow content load (intermittent) (this is for the main DVR, the satellite box delay is another issue entirely)
- content does not delete (intermittent)
- choppy fast forward (intermittent)
- recordings list and %Full on the DVR, xtv.comcast.net, and xfinitytv.comcast.net My DVR Manager, do not match
- deleted recordings still show up in Scheduled Recordings
- resumed content starts from the beginning instead of from where last left off (intermittent)
- from pause to slow motion sometimes goes to FF instead
- attempting to rewind a short period of time produces various results (1 nothing; 2 apparent short rewind but then starts at same place, so effectively nothing: 3 long rewind)
- quickly pressing play then pause misses the pause about 1/4 of the time  (play and pause should not be on the same button) 
- the progress bar and associated bottom 25%+ of the screen being blacked out takes way too long to go away and unnecessarily blocks content
- the icon in the middle of the screen is too large, blocks content, and stays on too long
- recently viewed content in the For You and On Demand shows parental controlled content (toggling off Recently viewed content fixes this, except that also removes the Last Watched items list, and there is no other way to skip back to the last channel)

List of basic DVR functionality that users are requesting, much of which used to be part of X1 (some of which was available on the previous Comcast platform, as well as my VCR).
- true slow motion speed, forward and reverse
- frame by frame advance
- buffer recording
- buffer continuing when watching on demand
- variable font sizing for closed captioning
- one button access to Recordings (takes at least 4 button presses to access recordings)

Wish list:
- multiple options for skip forward and back (programmable)
- show amount of time from current location in buffer or recording to Live
- consolidate phone apps, it’s very difficult to know which to use for what
- ability to access DVR content when there is an outage (cloud should be for storage, not operation, and any locally stored content should always be accessible)
- allow the option to remove the icons and progress bar for actions like skip forward or back, and make their time on the screen programmable
- auto extend is great, also having many more options of how long to extend any type of content would be great.  I believe more options have been added recently if the Guide knows the event is a sporting event, which isn’t always the case (currently early start and extend options are different on the DVR and web sites)

Don’t get me wrong, there are a ton of great features and advancements in X1, many of them in content discovery and curation, which is huge given the amount of content and channels these days. But there are a lot of frustrations that seem like easy fixes, mostly with the DVR performance, and in particular, watching sports is a very frustrating experience compared the previous platform.

You sure covered a multitude of great stuff...but .....ARGH! You said under basic DVR functions..... 'variable font sizing for closed captioning...! Its variable font sizing OTHER than Closed Captioning. OR I wish you had included in your wish list 'same font and contrast functions that are available for Closed Captioning.'

It never ceases to amaze me that those who can't hear can change how they SEE  font and the contrast but those who have issues seeing or reading CANNOT...huh?

Regular Contributor

You sure covered a multitude of great stuff...but .....ARGH! You said under basic DVR functions..... 'variable font sizing for closed captioning...! Its variable font sizing OTHER than Closed Captioning. OR I wish you had included in your wish list 'same font and contrast functions that are available for Closed Captioning.'

It never ceases to amaze me that those who can't hear can change how they SEE  font and the contrast but those who have issues seeing or reading CANNOT...huh?

Ah sorry, I tried to look up the font issue, I knew I read something about fonts but couldn't find the right thread so I just took a guess, I'll correct that in future versions.

My latest request will be to allow the Xfinity button to default back to how it was last used.

The fact that there is no one press access to Recordings is ridiculous to begin with.  But then after pressing the 4 buttons required to get there, at least the next time I press the xfininty button it should take me to where I last was, but no, after some amount of time (that I have been unable to determine, although I know it happens during the same day, so it's not after an overnight reset), the xfinity button defaults back to the Guide (which already has it's own button).

Regular Contributor

Images in posts are disappearing why ? Are they being edited out by the forum moderators ? Here is an image to test the forum if it shows for a while then disappears then I would guess the moderators are zapping them.

dragontail0002.jpg

Update: The Image made it to the post so we'll see 11:35 MST 10/5/2015

Most Valued Poster

tctc...I am the queen of beating the  the font issue to death and don't know if you know that. We could have talked PM. Is it really too much to ask be able to read the darn text about a program ?

Many functions require us to press buttons and move 'selector'  back and forth and then press more buttons. If you have the voice controlled remote you can just say 'recordings' I think. I am trying all sorts of commands with it.

Contributor

One other thing that seemed to have changed recently: when you use the quick guide on the right side of the screen and you select a new channel, the bottom scroll bar appears on the screen and you can't do anything unless you hit the exit or last button. I used to be able to immediately hit the right control button to go back to the quick guide on the right side of the screen to find another channel. But, now you have to either wait for the bar to go away on its own or hit yet another key to make it go away before you can go back to the quick guide.