Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

@TerriB wrote:

This probably belongs on a cloud thread but since we talk alot about how the cloud has ruined our DVR experience I just had to share this from today's Comcast corporate email. I almost lost my lunch reading it. Where can I get my hands on SCTE? Had to look that one up...Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers. I used to be a telcom network engineer for AT&T so the hair on my neck stood up.  We listened to our customers. Granted they were all internal and we wanted them to succeed and they also had a affect on our paychecks! That was a great incentive...duh.  Trust me..internal customers can be as or  more difficult to deal with than external ones. If we could influence the pay checks of Comcast...they would be johnny on the spot

• Harnessing The Cloud – In the simplest terms, what makes the cloud so powerful in a network environment, is that it lets us take the functions that we typically associate with a physical computer or server, move them into the network, and deliver them where they are needed, in exactly the right proportion, almost instantaneously. Computing, storage and networking functions that were once tethered to a specific device can now be made available anywhere, and scaled to fit the exact need of users. The engineers at SCTE have a big role to play in making that all work. Cutting edge technological concepts like Software Defined Networking and Network Functions Virtualization will be big topics of discussion at SCTE as we talk about how we will deliver network resources to our customers in an always-on, on-demand world.

I don't think the problem lies within cloud technologies as a whole.. I think the problem lies within Comcast's lousy implementation that is trying to kludge old and new concepts together that don't belong together. Unfortunately, it's us who suffer.

Any desires that have been proposed here (such as recording buffer and slo-mo) are very possible to implement in a cloud environment. My guess is that having a dual-head implementation (things being recorded in the cloud but also on the DVR hard drive synchronously) is really causing headaches. Heck, with everything in the cloud, there could even be a buffer on every channel, all the time!

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@scjohnson312 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

This probably belongs on a cloud thread but since we talk alot about how the cloud has ruined our DVR experience I just had to share this from today's Comcast corporate email. I almost lost my lunch reading it. Where can I get my hands on SCTE? Had to look that one up...Society of Cable Telecommunications Engineers. I used to be a telcom network engineer for AT&T so the hair on my neck stood up.  We listened to our customers. Granted they were all internal and we wanted them to succeed and they also had a affect on our paychecks! That was a great incentive...duh.  Trust me..internal customers can be as or  more difficult to deal with than external ones. If we could influence the pay checks of Comcast...they would be johnny on the spot

• Harnessing The Cloud – In the simplest terms, what makes the cloud so powerful in a network environment, is that it lets us take the functions that we typically associate with a physical computer or server, move them into the network, and deliver them where they are needed, in exactly the right proportion, almost instantaneously. Computing, storage and networking functions that were once tethered to a specific device can now be made available anywhere, and scaled to fit the exact need of users. The engineers at SCTE have a big role to play in making that all work. Cutting edge technological concepts like Software Defined Networking and Network Functions Virtualization will be big topics of discussion at SCTE as we talk about how we will deliver network resources to our customers in an always-on, on-demand world.

I don't think the problem lies within cloud technologies as a whole.. I think the problem lies within Comcast's lousy implementation that is trying to kludge old and new concepts together that don't belong together. Unfortunately, it's us who suffer.

That's pretty much it.

This implementation is equivalent to your computer having to send a signal to the could and back with every key press and mouse click.

Storing content in "the cloud" is great, interacting with a device through the cloud is insanity.

Highlighted
Expert

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Well the Comcast Tech is due today. I am currently on:

XRE Server Version 1.57.03

STB Version 2.1p6s1

With the extremely unreliable service I have had lately I don't know if the latest releases are at fault or if it is a low signal or what, but I seem to be getting all the problems other posters have been complaining about. Maybe my X1 box has been Hoodooed.

1. The movie "Hard Times" with Charles Bronson I recorded from the AMC channel was listed as such complete with picture Guide description but the content was a Sonny Chiba "Chop Socky" flick. Bad Guide entry ? DVR recorded El-Rey Channel ?

2. Lost TVland twice yesterday with "Free with subscription" message. Both times was able to get it back in about 5 minutes.

3. Progress Bar stuck. Pressed a bunch of keys but if finally when away about 5 minutes later. Stuck ? Time out ?

4. Movie I recorded failed to record the last 20 minutes of the movie. Grrrr ! Now I'm back to having to fast forward through the recordings to be sure I don't waste my time watching a show where I am denied the conclusion. I'm beginning to think Comcast programmers have a large bin with strips of paper containing all the previous fixed problems and are forced to blindly select one to reinstitute in the next relase.

5. Cable Signal is consistanly testing as "low" all the time now. Docsis readings are about the same as my previously posted ones.

Now if it was me and I was sure the problem was outside I would start at the house and back trace the customers cable and main lines until I found the problem if I had to trace the cable and connections/whatever all the way back to the server farm.

This is the second tech visit in three weeks. Ok Comcast, the ball is in your court. Are you going to make a basket or throw it out of bounds ?

have cloud DVR? if so, was it the right recording? (just reported yet another one on another thread where mis-record was done on home but correct was done by cloud DVR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

After reading the recent replies to my  'Harnessing the Cloud' post I am even more convinced and livid that this technology has divorced us from the control of our own DVR. We should be able to control our personal DVR assets totally with recording buffer, slo mo, frame by frame,etc. If everything is stored on the cloud then let us access them via the DVR. We have been told that the Cloud only stores and cannot download to the DVR...really?.....then fix it.  If there needs to be a new generation of DVRs then so be it and get it done  and not on some long term plan. Goodness knows there is enough money at Comcast to do almost anything.   Or at the very least store assets on Cloud for those who want to access on other devices but for pity sake leave us the DVR capabilities we found so useful before the cloudy weather set in. They were worth paying for but the sun has not shone since and we are not getting what we pay for. I am not as scientific or technology astute as many on here but I just cannot accept the premise that we cannot control our our recordings because of this supposedly enhanced environment. Even moreso I am very uncomfortable that Comcast is not taking our input and reacting in a positive manner. We ARE the customers and should be listened to. We aren't even acknowledged most of the time so why do we even bother to have these forums. We are talking to ourselves.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

thanks TC, I probably should have quoted the person who said that they did not want the features any longer. I think it was either Terri or Beowolf or both of them. 

I have no problem with the cloud functionality for those who need it but why does everyone have to be limited to what they can do on a personal DVR because its there? Comcast giveth and at the same time taketh away. Why can't they serve ALL  customers and let us choose whether we want the cloud or NOT.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@TerriB wrote:

After reading the recent replies to my  'Harnessing the Cloud' post I am even more convinced and livid that this technology has divorced us from the control of our own DVR. We should be able to control our personal DVR assets totally with recording buffer, slo mo, frame by frame,etc. If everything is stored on the cloud then let us access them via the DVR. We have been told that the Cloud only stores and cannot download to the DVR...really?.....then fix it.  If there needs to be a new generation of DVRs then so be it and get it done  and not on some long term plan. Goodness knows there is enough money at Comcast to do almost anything.   Or at the very least store assets on Cloud for those who want to access on other devices but for pity sake leave us the DVR capabilities we found so useful before the cloudy weather set in. They were worth paying for but the sun has not shone since and we are not getting what we pay for. I am not as scientific or technology astute as many on here but I just cannot accept the premise that we cannot control our our recordings because of this supposedly enhanced environment. Even moreso I am very uncomfortable that Comcast is not taking our input and reacting in a positive manner. We ARE the customers and should be listened to. We aren't even acknowledged most of the time so why do we even bother to have these forums. We are talking to ourselves.

Seems like they are turning the DVR into nothing more than another On-Demand....

The next thing you know they'll be blocking us from skipping commercials...     😞

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri,

Maybe you should explore other options.   It appears Comcast is not listening to us.

I can live with the way X1 works.  I have been assimilated.  

Respectfully.

I am sad that you have 'settled' for the stripped down version of X1 compared to what we used to have. X1 has regressed.  Are you trying to tell me to shut up? I respectfully say "don't go there"

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Terri, I apologize.  I retract my post.  I meant no disrespect.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RobertWy wrote:

Terri, I apologize.  I retract my post.  I meant no disrespect.

Robert, thank you for being a gentleman. None of us are happy with everything and we need to work together to make X1 as good as it can be IF ONLY Comcast would listen to us. There are some very savvy people on these forums

Highlighted
Expert

xre 1.57.07 10/11/2015 has arrived. nothing appears different in menu system nor mini-menus.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Expert
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

First, Yipee ! the forum accepts posts  again.

Now on:

XRE Server version 1.57.07

STB Version  2.1p6s1

Since I have made several posts about my X1 problems I feel it is incumbent upon me to report when Comcast does something good.

The following is a report of Comcast's efforts to resolve my low cable signal and box lockup problems.

The tech they sent 10/13/2015 was very knowledgeable for once. As the previous tech said, the problem was outside. He said the segment of their grid I was on was not configured correctly for X1 and that another tech would be out to fix it. This morning 10/14/2015 I saw a Comcast truck working on the pole that connects to my block as I was going to breakfast. When I returned the truck was in front of my house and the tech said that the wrong tap was on the pole in the back of my house and he wanted me to know that service would be out for about 20 minutes while he changed it out for the proper tap. After he was done he said all my upstream and downstream levels were within spec. The cable signal now tests as a full five bars (good) instead of low. He also found a very badly degraded connection on my next door neighbors pole that was creating noise and reflected signals for everyone on the block and replaced it. Only time will tell if this fixes everything but a least Comcast pursued fixing the problem very quickly. The diagnostic menu shows the incoming signal as double what it was before. The movie guide and channel guide populate almost instantly now.

Some of the things I like about X1

1. The cast lists and actor Bio's you can access for most shows and movies. I use this feature a lot. Only a few come up "No Bio available". Also, sometimes the star of the movie isn't in the cast list. Odd. (Usually older movies. I guess the young don't know who Cary Grant was).

2. Actors Bio's also lead to a list of shows and movies they are in. I use this a lot also.

3. Comcast Labs saved searches - very useful.

4. Entering search data from the keypad works for most things but every once in a while you still have to enter the data using the alphanumeric search engine to get a hit.

5. The weather app from the dashboard is nice even if the low for last night was listed as 999 degrees for a couple hours. (The guy inputting the data was on the surface of Venus ). Seriously, add a local radar image and you'd really have something.

6. I don't do very many simultaneous recordings but it's is nice to know that I can if I want to. This is a big improvement over the old system. Now if they will just listen to us and give us back the buffer recording. Come on guys, I know you can do this if you try. It is to the point where the DVR is akin to an old VHS tape recorder. Surely they can do better.  We used to have it with X1. I would guess this would be number 1 feature to restore for many of us. It should be simple to change the software back to continously record the channel you are on. Buffer back, problem solved.

a Little respect goes a long way.

BJ

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

thats great news Beo! sounds like soon you will be loving x1 as much as I do. I am glad they appear to have found your problems and hopefully fixed them!

@BeowolfJones wrote:

First, Yipee ! the forum accepts posts  again.

Now on:

XRE Server version 1.57.07

STB Version  2.1p6s1

Since I have made several posts about my X1 problems I feel it is incumbent upon me to report when Comcast does something good.

The following is a report of Comcast's efforts to resolve my low cable signal and box lockup problems.

The tech they sent 10/13/2015 was very knowledgeable for once. As the previous tech said, the problem was outside. He said the segment of their grid I was on was not configured correctly for X1 and that another tech would be out to fix it. This morning 10/14/2015 I saw a Comcast truck working on the pole that connects to my block as I was going to breakfast. When I returned the truck was in front of my house and the tech said that the wrong tap was on the pole in the back of my house and he wanted me to know that service would be out for about 20 minutes while he changed it out for the proper tap. After he was done he said all my upstream and downstream levels were within spec. The cable signal now tests as a full five bars (good) instead of low. He also found a very badly degraded connection on my next door neighbors pole that was creating noise and reflected signals for everyone on the block and replaced it. Only time will tell if this fixes everything but a least Comcast pursued fixing the problem very quickly. The diagnostic menu shows the incoming signal as double what it was before. The movie guide and channel guide populate almost instantly now.

Some of the things I like about X1

1. The cast lists and actor Bio's you can access for most shows and movies. I use this feature a lot. Only a few come up "No Bio available". Also, sometimes the star of the movie isn't in the cast list. Odd. (Usually older movies. I guess the young don't know who Cary Grant was).

2. Actors Bio's also lead to a list of shows and movies they are in. I use this a lot also.

3. Comcast Labs saved searches - very useful.

4. Entering search data from the keypad works for most things but every once in a while you still have to enter the data using the alphanumeric search engine to get a hit.

5. The weather app from the dashboard is nice even if the low for last night was listed as 999 degrees for a couple hours. (The guy inputting the data was on the surface of Venus ). Seriously, add a local radar image and you'd really have something.

6. I don't do very many simultaneous recordings but it's is nice to know that I can if I want to. This is a big improvement over the old system. Now if they will just listen to us and give us back the buffer recording. Come on guys, I know you can do this if you try. It is to the point where the DVR is akin to an old VHS tape recorder. Surely they can do better.  We used to have it with X1. I would guess this would be number 1 feature to restore for many of us. It should be simple to change the software back to continously record the channel you are on. Buffer back, problem solved.

a Little respect goes a long way.

BJ

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

One thing I would like to see added to  X1 is a global recording time extender for ALL recordings. I think you can do this for a series recording but you have to remember to do it for each series you set up. Some channels ( which will remain nameless) have the nasty habit of running over their scheduled time and if you forget to extend the recording you end up missing the end of the show.

BJ

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

I wish someone could take the 2 minutes required to delete the lines of code that call up the progress bar when skipping ahead or back a few seconds.

It's completely unneccessary and blocks such a ridiculously large part of the screen (currently forever, unless you press a couple more buttons).

It would be such a huge improvement to the sports viewing experience, and take so little time to implement.........

Highlighted
Expert

@tctc wrote:

I wish someone could take the 2 minutes required to delete the lines of code that call up the progress bar when skipping ahead or back a few seconds.

It's completely unneccessary and blocks such a ridiculously large part of the screen (currently forever, unless you press a couple more buttons).

It would be such a huge improvement to the sports viewing experience, and take so little time to implement.........

just hit the up button

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

just hit the up button

That works sometimes (always appreciative of the tips I get here on the forum).

And then other times I have to hit the middle button first, then the up button.

But by then I've missed a couple seconds of whatever has happened on the bottom third of the screen.  And my hand starts cramping from so many button presses, before I can finish a football game.

A much better implementation would be to have an option for it not to appear all.

Does anyone actually think "wow, I just hit the 10 seconds back button, I wonder where I am in the recording now, I wish the progress bar would come up."?

It's just insane that something this easy to fix still lingers in a "state of the art" platform.

But all the work seems to be going into Apps (probably generating $).

I just want a good DVR experience.

Actually, I want an excellent DVR experience, maybe that's my issue.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@tctc wrote:

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

just hit the up button

That works sometimes (always appreciative of the tips I get here on the forum).

And then other times I have to hit the middle button first, then the up button.

But by then I've missed a couple seconds of whatever has happened on the bottom third of the screen.  And my hand starts cramping from so many button presses, before I can finish a football game.

A much better implementation would be to have an option for it not to appear all.

Does anyone actually think "wow, I just hit the 10 seconds back button, I wonder where I am in the recording now, I wish the progress bar would come up."?

It's just insane that something this easy to fix still lingers in a "state of the art" platform.

But all the work seems to be going into Apps (probably generating $).

I just want a good DVR experience.

Actually, I want an excellent DVR experience, maybe that's my issue.

We all would Tctc. I suspect that in the object oriented world of programming most applications are written in,  some programmer made a Boo - Boo.  The progress bar should be a program object with a limited lifetime. It should "Time out" on it's own.. Please be aware that due to a poor signal I had a stuck progress bar as well as frozen channel guides and movie guides. When Comcast fixed my connection problems these went away. Also with the diverse locations of all the posters on this forum the "Server Farm" each region/city has can sometimes be the culprit. The cloud is absolutely dependant on reliable communications back and forth between your X1 box and the servers. X1 has put all of us into a Network based operating system for our TV needs. Anyone who has been frustrated trying to print to a network printer should understand what I mean.

I used to use Global Flag variables to keep the program flow in control. What we have been seeing is a result of too many programmers working on different segments of the X1 program. While it is faster to do things this way, the result is often no one programmer is in control or sees the entire picture. We as users expect to see an integrated stable result.

Even though X1 boxes don't let you access Amazon prime or Netflix they could do it if they wished. They are a hardwired (through the Cable) Network device. What servers you access on the back end are up to them. The same cable that allows me to wirelessly surf the web on my pc also services my tv. The keyboard for this device is your remote control.

Technology when sufficiently advanced is indistinguishable from magic

Robert A.Heinlein

Enjoy your Friday and don't forget the change back to standard time occurrs on Halloween !

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

In my opinion the primary purpose of Comcast and X1 is to view and record programming.  Thats what I pay for and the quality is going downhill.  I know I am preaching to the choir.

The apps and bells and whistles  they seem to be so focused on rather than what is wrong with the DVR and guide process are superfluous to what I want my money to go for. NOT that apps aren't useful but I have phone and tablet for that.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@TerriB wrote:

In my opinion the primary purpose of Comcast and X1 is to view and record programming.  Thats what I pay for and the quality is going downhill.  I know I am preaching to the choir.

The apps and bells and whistles  they seem to be so focused on rather than what is wrong with the DVR and guide process are superfluous to what I want my money to go for. NOT that apps aren't useful but I have phone and tablet for that.

Exactly.  Someonone up the management chain is focusing on new bells and whistles more than quality.

Just last night I finished watching a football game and could not delete it.  If I selected the asset I got a message saying my DVR service was not available and someone was working on it.  Yeah right, they can't even get the error message correct.

Highlighted
Expert

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Exactly.  Someonone up the management chain is focusing on new bells and whistles more than quality.

Just last night I finished watching a football game and could not delete it.  If I selected the asset I got a message saying my DVR service was not available and someone was working on it.  Yeah right, they can't even get the error message correct.

to get rid of that ghost, put in power save and then power up, or reboot, or exit-exit-exit-480 (pause) exit exit exit 1080. same ol' same ol that fixes things when a refresh is not automatically done.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@Rustyben wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

to get rid of that ghost, put in power save and then power up, or reboot, or exit-exit-exit-480 (pause) exit exit exit 1080. same ol' same ol that fixes things when a refresh is not automatically done.

Thanks Rustyben.

Do you know what the sequence of key presses is that gets Comcast to actually fix the issue?

I'd pay good money for that (over $200 actually, every month)...

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

We get that 'DVR service not available" all the time. We will be watching a program and try to delete and that error pops up but funniest thing we can go right back to the list and watch another recording. Like you said ..even the error messages are wrong.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

As an added bonus, I can't sign in to any mobile apps, or Comcast.net, get an error message that says my password is wrong, even though I'm currently signed in to these forums with that same password, and I can sign in to the xtv.comcast.net site.

I also get a connection error to the email server on and off throughout the day, saying my password is not corrrect, then after a while all my email will flow in, after I've changed nothing.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

We get that 'DVR service not available" all the time. We will be watching a program and try to delete and that error pops up but funniest thing we can go right back to the list and watch another recording. Like you said ..even the error messages are wrong.

Speaking of incorrect error messages.  The reply I just got in trying to resolve my "incorrect password" issues (which I had all weekend while I was trying to use a phone and tablet to access all the content I pay for...) was that it wasn't actually a password error at all, but an "app outage".

"Those errors or issues you are getting when you logins are the ussual issues since we are testing the apps and also disabling some features online to make sure that we get the proper fix for this issue.  

As of now, the only thing that was been cleared of the outage is the Home app. That is for the Home Security app that we have. Most apps are still being worked on since we have tested it recently and the previous issue was fixed but there are some other issues that came up. That is the reason why it takes this long to get the proper fix for them.

Me - So sometimes I can log on and it will work ok, but if I get an error message about my password, I should just assume that there's an outage and they are working on the app, correct?

Yes, that is correct."

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

@tctc wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Speaking of incorrect error messages.  The reply I just got in trying to resolve my "incorrect password" issues (which I had all weekend while I was trying to use a phone and tablet to access all the content I pay for...) was that it wasn't actually a password error at all, but an "app outage".

"Those errors or issues you are getting when you logins are the ussual issues since we are testing the apps and also disabling some features online to make sure that we get the proper fix for this issue.  

As of now, the only thing that was been cleared of the outage is the Home app. That is for the Home Security app that we have. Most apps are still being worked on since we have tested it recently and the previous issue was fixed but there are some other issues that came up. That is the reason why it takes this long to get the proper fix for them.

Me - So sometimes I can log on and it will work ok, but if I get an error message about my password, I should just assume that there's an outage and they are working on the app, correct?

Yes, that is correct."

===========================
Horse Hocky Comcast!  The other day I was on Comcast site for something  and it said we had an outage and I was on the internet, watching tv and using the phone so I said 'Whaaaat?'
 I don't have Comcast Home Security. I don't believe one word of what they told you. My other favorite error message is "cannot tune to that channel right now" and then I tune to it. Really?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Right Arm Terri ! Out of State ! Gravy !

The Pantheon of X1 errors one can get just amazes me. I wonder when X2 is due. They must have hired the crew from the "Ministry of Funny Walks" to write their error messages. I think RDK XXXXX stands for Really Dumb Kludge.

One more time - Give us back the Buffer Recording.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

if you have x1, then you have x2. when you got firmware 2.0, you got x2. x2 is an internal name, while x1 is the branding that i would assume will stay. Andrew or another comcast rep can correct me if I am wrong. however, this news story seems to confirm what I have stated. see link from news story from last year. below is a link:

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/comcast-ramps-x2-rollout/356301

@BeowolfJones wrote:

The Pantheon of X1 errors one can get just amazes me. I wonder when X2 is due. They must have hired the crew from the "Ministry of Funny Walks" to write their error messages. I think RDK XXXXX stands for Really Dumb Kludge.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

if you have x1, then you have x2. when you got firmware 2.0, you got x2. x2 is an internal name, while x1 is the branding that i would assume will stay. Andrew or another comcast rep can correct me if I am wrong. however, this news story seems to confirm what I have stated. see link from news story from last year. below is a link:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

X2 was a name for the refreshed X1 UI from 2014: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/introducing-x2

The firmware 2.0 is unrelated and came about a year later, and brought RDK 2.0 to all X1 boxes except RNG150s which are still on 1.3.4 AFAIK

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

thanks, thats what I thought! i was only off on the 2.0 business but my main point is still correct in that if you have x1, you have x2. x2 is simply an internal name for the newest version of the operating system, which still has the branding of x1.

@scjohnson312 wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

@BeowolfJones wrote:

X2 was a name for the refreshed X1 UI from 2014: http://corporate.comcast.com/news-information/news-feed/introducing-x2

The firmware 2.0 is unrelated and came about a year later, and brought RDK 2.0 to all X1 boxes except RNG150s which are still on 1.3.4 AFAIK

Highlighted
Expert

@tctc wrote:

Yes, that is correct."

Please Post Xfinity Home Issues in the appropriate Xfinity Home Forum.  This Topic is for Upcoming X1 Update issues.  Please stay on-topic.

The Support Forums are "public" forums and you should not post identifiable information (full name, account number, address, phone numbers & email addresses).  Users of these forums are Comcast customers,the same as you & me and volunteer their time to assist with the issues and/or problems that you may be experiencing.  Please ensure your post is in the correct Forum to begin with.  Please do not send me Private Messages for personal help but instead use the Forums to allow everyone to read and offer comments to assist you.  Comcast employees are identified with RED lettered User Names.

Highlighted
Expert

@tctc wrote:

As an added bonus, I can't sign in to any mobile apps, or Comcast.net, get an error message that says my password is wrong, even though I'm currently signed in to these forums with that same password, and I can sign in to the xtv.comcast.net site.

I also get a connection error to the email server on and off throughout the day, saying my password is not corrrect, then after a while all my email will flow in, after I've changed nothing.

press Xfinity button, go to settings(gear)>>myaccount>>account details   are most fields filled in like name email, address primary phone?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I wonder why Comcast hasn't implemented a true picture in picture function in X1. The old pre-X1 remotes had a PIP button but it was never implemented. The Blue button in X1 lets you have a small PIP in the channel guide and the movie guide. It would seem that with six tuners available that Comcast could allow you to have six PIP channels, Three across the top and three across the bottom. A kind of Multivision effect. They could have a highlight around the channel the sound was coming from and you could arrow around to change the channel the sound was coming from. A menu item could be added to set up the channels you wanted to view in this manner with a double press on OK on the highlighted channel taking you back to single channel viewing. I'm sure some sports mavens would like this feature if it was made available. There could be a menu to configure  how you want the channels displayed. For two channels 50/50 or 75/25 and so on .

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I wonder why Comcast hasn't implemented a true picture in picture function in X1. The old pre-X1 remotes had a PIP button but it was never implemented. The Blue button in X1 lets you have a small PIP in the channel guide and the movie guide. It would seem that with six tuners available that Comcast could allow you to have six PIP channels, Three across the top and three across the bottom. A kind of Multivision effect. They could have a highlight around the channel the sound was coming from and you could arrow around to change the channel the sound was coming from. A menu item could be added to set up the channels you wanted to view in this manner with a double press on OK on the highlighted channel taking you back to single channel viewing. I'm sure some sports mavens would like this feature if it was made available. There could be a menu to configure  how you want the channels displayed. For two channels 50/50 or 75/25 and so on .

Isn't that exactly the way Direct TV/the Dish does the sports package they offer?  Wonder if they have 'tuners'? I remember when we lost PIP originally because of the analog> digital conversion. We got the PIP channel over the air using the 'change input' on the remote and then no more once the conversion was complete.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Ya know...

I usually sit back and watch these long and ongoing threads. I tend to avoid them because I feel my input (for better or for worse) will be diluted.

However, I have had X1 service for over two years now and I am about to repeat comments I have posted in other threads many times.

1. Comcast isn't listening. They are developing X1 within their own little profit box. They don't care about what customers want. They care about cutting costs.

2. Comcast advertises X1 as an upgrade but that can easily be debated. When you compare X1 DVR functionality to TiVo and DirecTV, X1 is a joke. As I have said MANY times before, X1 is not intended for audio/video enthusiasts. Yes X1 could be called "modernized" but in reality X1 is a basic and watered down product that was designed to reduce truck rolls and service calls.

3. I truly believe that Comcast is held hostage by TiVo patents and as proof I offer the weakness and lack of simple and common DVR features. Some bean counter within Comcast decided they were not willing to pay TiVo for patents therefore X1 is a weak offering.

THAT BEING SAID, I am aware of these weaknesses and I am willing to deal with the X1 weaknesses. I think PIP is annoying. I know when my favorite shows will be on so I record them. I don't need reminders. I miss the TSB but I can work around it.

X1's biggest current weaknesses:

1. Guide adjustability!!!
2. Channel and "favorites" adjustability.
3. "Auto Extend" needs to be fixed if it hasn't been already...
4. If this forum is any indication, there is a fundamental problem with programming X1 remotes. There has been FAR TO MANY posts about remote problems that should not be happening in the first place. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON THAT PEOPLE WITH SONY TV SETS SHOULD BE STRUGGLING TO FIND CODES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though there has been recent changes, Sony uses some of the oldest and most well know IR codes on record. People should NOT be struggling to program X1 remotes to control Sony TV sets and the fact that Comcast has not addressed this directly in this forum shows the climate and paranoia Comcast employees work under. Besides, we have been told that XR11's can be updated remotely. When will that happen?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Ya know...

I sit back and watch these long and ongoing threads. I tend to avoid them because I feel my input (for better or for worse) will be diluted.

However, I have had X1 service for over two years now and I am about to repeat comments I have posted in other threads many times.

1. Comcast isn't listening. They are developing X1 within their own little profit box. They don't care about what customers want. They care about cutting costs.

2. Comcast advertises X1 as an upgrade but that can easily be debated. When you compare X1 DVR functionality to TiVo and DirecTV, X1 is a joke. As I have said MANY times before, X1 is not intended for audio/video enthusiasts. Yes X1 could be called "modernized" but in reality X1 is a basic and watered down product that was designed to reduce truck rolls and service calls.

3. I truly believe that Comcast is held hostage by TiVo patents and as proof I offer the weakness and lack of simple and common DVR features. Some bean counter within Comcast decided they were not willing to pay TiVo for patents therefore X1 is a weak offering.

THAT BEING SAID, I am aware of these weaknesses and I am willing to deal with the X1 weaknesses. I think PIP is annoying. I know when my favorite shows will be on so I record them. I don't need reminders. I miss the TSB but I can work around it.

4. If this forum is any indication, there is a fundamental problem with programming X1 remotes. There has been FAR TO MANY posts about remote problems that should not be happening in the first place. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO REASON THAT PEOPLE WITH SONY TV SETS SHOULD BE STRUGGLING TO FIND CODES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Even though there has been recent changes, Sony uses some of the oldest and most well know IR codes on record. People should NOT be struggling to program X1 remotes to control Sony TV sets and the fact that Comcast has not addressed this directly in this forum shows the climate and paranoia Comcast employees work under. Besides, we have been told that XR11's can be updated remotely. When will that happen?

Rick...What a great commentary and I will assume that my fave dead horse issue is included under your #1 weakness umbrella and you know what I mean.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Of course it is TB...!!!

@TerriB wrote:

@RickGr4 wrote:

Ya know...

I sit back and watch these long and ongoing threads. I tend to avoid them because I feel my input (for better or for worse) will be diluted.

Rick...What a great commentary and I will assume that my fave dead horse issue is included under your #1 weakness umbrella and you know what I mean.

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

New wrinkle to issue of X1 skipping episode of series recordings. Not sure if Comcast was making 'adjustments' last evening but new anomaly reared up. I knew that they were going to remove the 200 series HD channels and not sure if last evening was when they did it but they were gone. Is it possible that may have created the problem we had and looking to see if anyone else saw what we saw (or didn't see)...... Series recording set for Grandfathered  8-8:30 PM and NCIS 9-10PM. Red recording light was not on. Scheduled recording list said they were both 'recordiing now' but they were not on the recorded list.  We went to scheduled list and pressed 'watch' to see if the shows were 'really' there but nothing happened.   Shows that started 8:30 or later were ok and light was on. Checked recordings list later last evening and those two shows were still not there but this morning they were. Never saw this behavoir before and of course now I am a bit paranoid. We have had the latest update versions for some time so its not that.

Sanity Check?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@RickGr4 wrote:

Of course it is TB...!!!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

all of my programs, including NCIS, recorded fine last night with zero issues.

@TerriB wrote:

New wrinkle to issue of X1 skipping episode of series recordings. Not sure if Comcast was making 'adjustments' last evening but new anomaly reared up. I knew that they were going to remove the 200 series HD channels and not sure if last evening was when they did it but they were gone. Is it possible that may have created the problem we had and looking to see if anyone else saw what we saw (or didn't see)...... Series recording set for Grandfathered  8-8:30 PM and NCIS 9-10PM. Red recording light was not on. Scheduled recording list said they were both 'recordiing now' but they were not on the recorded list.  We went to scheduled list and pressed 'watch' to see if the shows were 'really' there but nothing happened.   Shows that started 8:30 or later were ok and light was on. Checked recordings list later last evening and those two shows were still not there but this morning they were. Never saw this behavoir before and of course now I am a bit paranoid. We have had the latest update versions for some time so its not that.

Sanity Check?

Highlighted
Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

all of my programs, including NCIS, recorded fine last night with zero issues.

@TerriB wrote:

Sanity Check?

Thanks...maybe it was just in my area in Northern Virginia- Dale City service area

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I just got STB Version  2.1p8s1 last night.

The only thing that I noticed that I think is new is X1 now features web videos.

And I guess and hope more bug fixes also come along with this latest software update.

Highlighted
Expert

@gate1975mlm wrote:

The only thing that I noticed that I think is new is X1 now features web videos.

And I guess and hope more bug fixes also come along with this latest software update.

1.57.07 10/11/2015  fw 2.1p6s1  ... I had those previous and tuned to them they endlessly stream and use your measured internet stream (not free stream)

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

What do you mean by measured? Comcast no longer employs  Data useage caps. They stopped that at least 2 years ago. 

@Rustyben wrote:

@gate1975mlm wrote:

1.57.07 10/11/2015  fw 2.1p6s1  ... I had those previous and tuned to them they endlessly stream and use your measured internet stream (not free stream)

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

What do you mean by measured? Comcast no longer employs Data useage caps. They stopped that at least 2 years ago.

A handful of areas do

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Oh, thanks Andrew. My area stopped that in May of 2012.

@CCAndrew wrote:
What do you mean by measured? Comcast no longer employs Data useage caps. They stopped that at least 2 years ago.

A handful of areas do

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-trials/

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Out of curiosity, how do you know these new streams count against your usage meter? That would be surprising if it is Comcast sourced video. The usage meter is also by device, so how would they display that on the Xfinity website? I've seen my data modem there, but not my set-top box.

Edit: Oh and they definitely have caps. I've gotten the 80% and 90% warnings and my 3 free passes (to go over the cap) show up on the website. This is north of Atlanta.

Highlighted
Expert

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Out of curiosity, how do you know these new streams count against your usage meter? That would be surprising if it is Comcast sourced video. The usage meter is also by device, so how would they display that on the Xfinity website? I've seen my data modem there, but not my set-top box.

Edit: Oh and they definitely have caps. I've gotten the 80% and 90% warnings and my 3 free passes (to go over the cap) show up on the website. This is north of Atlanta.

previous threads on this forum are the source of that info. here we are not 'measured' but if you go over 250-300gb you get a letter that puts you on notice and might be billed more for future overages.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

thanks lightstrom. As Andrew said, the caps are trials and only in a handful of areas. Thankfully, my area is not one of them. I haven't had a cap since 2012 

@lightstorm22 wrote:

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You're lucky, for now at least. I never really came close to it before a couple months ago, but what a difference a Netflix subscription makes with 3 kids. Now I come closer than I ever have, but am still relatively safe. I have friends that hit it almost every month.