Community Forum

Upcoming X1 Updates

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates

Which software/firmware versions do you have?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Most Valued Poster

@chuclkw wrote:

I tried the "extras" link and there isn't anything.

According to the promo piece, I don't think the game has to be on: Baseball Extras pulls in and aggregates data from several sources to rate games based on team records, compute each team’s win probability and preview pitching matchups. During a game, the app displays real-time stats and analysis like strike-out percentages, pitch counts.......

I will try tonight.

Yes the game does have to be on to see the extras and all the games seem to be on at 7PM so lets hope we are pleasantly surprised and get back what we had before with sports app plus some new stuff.

Regular Contributor

Interesting thing on my X1 box today. I noticed the time display wasn't showing the first digit just a angle bracket type symbol. I decided to reboot the box via the diagnostic menu. I check my software versions daily and I was on XRE 1.54.03 and STB 2.02p4s1. After the reboot the STB changed to 2.02p7s1. I guess the angle symbol was representing the need for a manual reboot. The time display is OK now.

I wish everyone a safe and fun 4th of July. Try to avoid having this happen to you !

Fireworks2.gif

Most Valued Poster

boom.jpgMay you have the same number of fingers and toes before and after July 4th. Stay safe!

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I wondered if Comcast was going to keep their record of breaking something with each release and they have. I used the Comcast labs saved searches a lot. Now with STB 2.02p7s1 it is kaput. The setting is still is in the Comcast labs menu and turned on but it doesn't work any more.

Thank you   (NOT)

Regular Contributor

It says clearly in comcast labs options that these features may not always work. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you are so unhappy with your experience, why not get service from another company?

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I wondered if Comcast was going to keep their record of breaking something with each release and they have. I used the Comcast labs saved searches a lot. Now with STB 2.02p7s1 it is kaput. The setting is still is in the Comcast labs menu and turned on but it doesn't work any more.

Thank you   (NOT)

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Thank you   (NOT)

You should get a job as a psychic! I have an actual crystal ball but you don't need it. I thought something was wrong so thanks for the confirmation. I loved the saved settings feature. Wonder whose door we have to bang on to get this fixed. Seems no rep ever comes to this thread anymore.

ball.jpg

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

It says clearly in comcast labs options that these features may not always work. At the risk of sounding like a broken record, if you are so unhappy with your experience, why not get service from another company?

We would prefer that Comcast keep the features they roll out whether in the Labs or not...is that too much to ask? They offer us new things to try and when they get positive feedback they take the feature away.

Most Valued Poster

Haven't seen any feedback on the sports app extras so allow me. Never thought I would ever say "too much information" but wow. Needless to say there is so much  crammed onto each page that its difficult to absorb/ read and on the first few pages it scrolls to the next page automatically. LET the user decide when to move to another page. Just when I get focused on a piece of data it moves on.

Regular Contributor

I'm with you TeriB. Bob just doesn't get it. I had many saved searches for Actors so I could easily see what  movies they were starring in. It was one of the features of Comcast labs I really liked and they go and break it. The Comcast programmers are like a bull in a china shop. I don't think any one of them really knows the entire system of programs. Breaking or removing features is a regular occurrence. We the Customers deserve better and it is not asking too much to expect better service. I have never seen a company so flagrant in using it's customer base as a unsolicited Alpha,Beta, Gamma, Delta ...... Omega, testing pool of users. It looks like the programmers responsible for different X1 programs, XRE server version, STB box version and  so on are functioning without the proper coordination to make all the pieces work together seamlessly.

One of the biggest culprits of project failures/ problems in large organizations is lack of communication. This has been known for years but still happens over and over. Often the problem is due to managers "feathering their own nest" at the expense of everyone else. Whatever the reason X1 is due for a change in how it is being deployed.

Get all your software pieces in order and working correctly before the next release.

Nah ! makes too much sense !

Regular Contributor

I get it completely. Thanks though! It clearly states that comcast labs features might not always work, might go away, etc. anyone who doesn't understand this concept is the one who doesn't get it. I think it's unfair to think that experimental features that have this disclaimer will always work. 

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I'm with you TeriB. Bob just doesn't get it. I had many saved searches for Actors so I could easily see what  movies they were starring in. It was one of the features of Comcast labs I really liked and they go and break it. The Comcast programmers are like a bull in a china shop. I don't think any one of them really knows the entire system of programs. Breaking or removing features is a regular occurrence. We the Customers deserve better and it is not asking too much to expect better service. I have never seen a company so flagrant in using it's customer base as a unsolicited Alpha,Beta, Gamma, Delta ...... Omega, testing pool of users. It looks like the programmers responsible for different X1 programs, XRE server version, STB box version and  so on are functioning without the proper coordination to make all the pieces work together seamlessly.

One of the biggest culprits of project failures/ problems in large organizations is lack of communication. This has been known for years but still happens over and over. Often the problem is due to managers "feathering their own nest" at the expense of everyone else. Whatever the reason X1 is due for a change in how it is being deployed.

Get all your software pieces on order and working correctly before the next release.

Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Get all your software pieces in order and working correctly before the next release.

Hubby and I both LOVE the search saving for actors as well as saved searches in general. It was such a nice feature to have and now its gone.

Most Valued Poster

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I get it completely. Thanks though! It clearly states that comcast labs features might not always work, might go away, etc. anyone who doesn't understand this concept is the one who doesn't get it. I think it's unfair to think that experimental features that have this disclaimer will always work. 

Not sure you get it at all. Not sure how they determine if 'labs' stuff will be permanent and no one has ever asked for feedback so I guess they pick and choose in a vacuum.  If they are not going to have the 'saved' searches anymore then they should take the darn option OFF the Labs page instead of allowing users to still have it 'checked' but it no longer works.
Regular Contributor

Whosaid the feature was gone forever? I get it completely, thanks though! This is all I need to know about this issue

from Comcast website site explaining labs features:

"Note: These features are pre-release and not officially supported at this time; as such, they may become unavailable or may not work as expected. If a feature isn't working for you, you can turn it off at any time. This will not impact the supported X1 features."

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Not sure you get it at all. Not sure how they determine if 'labs' stuff will be permanent and no one has ever asked for feedback so I guess they pick and choose in a vacuum.  If they are not going to have the 'saved' searches anymore then they should take the darn option OFF the Labs page instead of allowing users to still have it 'checked' but it no longer works.

Expert
Regular Contributor

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

Whosaid the feature was gone forever? I get it completely, thanks though! This is all I need to know about this issue

from Comcast website site explaining labs features:

"Note: These features are pre-release and not officially supported at this time; as such, they may become unavailable or may not work as expected. If a feature isn't working for you, you can turn it off at any time. This will not impact the supported X1 features."

@TerriB wrote:

@brandonbob2376 wrote:

I think the answer to your original question is, Comcast has a monopoly on internet, therefore it's easier to stick with their TV platform.  At least that's the answer I get from 100% of the people I know that have not left the platform.  Those that have found an acceptable internet alternative have left.

Regular Contributor

The point was that Comcast keeps removing or breaking features that people like. Not just experimental features but well liked features that are supposed to work. Slo -Mo, Sports Apps, Saved searches *, Buffer recording and more.

Comcast knows what we watch and makes recommendations in the "For You because you watched section" , so why don't they see how many people use their Comcast labs features and make them a permanent feature ?  If you cycle through the because you watched  few times,  you will see because you watched shows that you haven't watched in more than a year. It makes me wonder how long companies like the Nielson Ratings will survive when companies like Comcast already have the capability to know what you watch and when.

Put that under your tin foil hat.

Regular Contributor

I have ordered and received an X1 XR11 voice remote and have been playing with it. There seems to be no document defining basic key words and rules of syntax. Therefore I must try to guess how to tell it how to do something. It seems good for finding things such ad lists of shows or movies on the guide or on demand, but difficult to get it to do something with one of the items in the last. Trying to navigate within the guide seems to be impossible. In my opinion, the X1 remote app on the iPhone works much better using voice commands.
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

The point was that Comcast keeps removing or breaking features that people like. Not just experimental features but well liked features that are supposed to work. Slo -Mo, Sports Apps, Saved searches *, Buffer recording and more.

Comcast knows what we watch and makes recommendations in the "For You because you watched section" , so why don't they see how many people use their Comcast labs features and make them a permanent feature ?  If you cycle through the because you watched  few times,  you will see because you watched shows that you haven't watched in more than a year. It makes me wonder how long companies like the Nielson Ratings will survive when companies like Comcast already have the capability to know what you watch and when.

EXCELLENT point. How DO they know who likes/uses the Labs features? How DO they determine what to make full features and take OFF the Labs list.  Some have been on the Labs list for a very long time and sure 'seem' permanent to me and the ONLY one that has stopped working is the recent searches. Bottom line...what is their Labs process.

Regular Contributor

I understand your point there but I am ONLY speaking about labs features since your original post was only about an experimental labs features. Thus, I personal would never be upset nor surprised when removed or stops working temporarily since the labs disclaimer warns you of this. 

@BeowolfJones wrote:

Most Valued Poster

There is info on line about suggestions for use and here are some including some that I use:

• "What should I watch?"
  • "Movies guide"
  • "Show me more like Frozen"
  • "What's on tonight at eight o'clock?
  •  just say the channel you want it to change it to
  • say the name of an actor and it will show you bio and what movies/shows they are in
  • say name of movie or character  or sports and if there is a program on currently it will show you

There are so many more options and there is really no way for them to give us a 'list'. Just try stuff! There is also a help video for this remote under the 'gear'

I don't understand what you are attempting to do with voice control remove in the guide?

@Bowmanal wrote:
I have ordered and received an X1 XR11 voice remote and have been playing with it. There seems to be no document defining basic key words and rules of syntax. Therefore I must try to guess how to tell it how to do something. It seems good for finding things such ad lists of shows or movies on the guide or on demand, but difficult to get it to do something with one of the items in the last. Trying to navigate within the guide seems to be impossible. In my opinion, the X1 remote app on the iPhone works much better using voice commands.

Regular Contributor

I was just thinking how bad X1 was a little over a year ago. The outages and such. I suddenly remembered tomorrow is July 4, 2015,  Independence day. For all our faults I still believe that America is the greatest republic on the planet. It puts X1 problems in perspective.  It's time to put the WE back in We the People.

as Pogo the possum once said "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Be well, be safe and have a wonderful 4th of July.

Fireworks4.gif

Expert

got 1.54.05 on the 'early' DVR today. My account now works as designed. my "last" quit working but it did say to go into settings to change.  Found "recently viewed content" set to off. Keep in mind Last was working until i looked thru the menu for changes. strange.

the Down button menu now auto scrolls to beginning if you hit left.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Most Valued Poster

@BeowolfJones wrote:

I was just thinking how bad X1 was a little over a year ago. The outages and such. I suddenly remembered tomorrow is July 4, 2015,  Independence day. For all our faults I still believe that America is the greatest republic on the planet. It puts X1 problems in perspective.  It's time to put the WE back in We the People.

as Pogo the possum once said "We have met the enemy and he is us."

Be well, be safe and have a wonderful 4th of July.

Fireworks4.gif

PREACH!!!  smallfreedom.jpg

Regular Contributor

Happy 4th all.

My report on MLB Sports Extra: mostly a waste of time.

I was watching the Nats and Giants and thought I'd checkout Extras.

At the middle of the 8th inning Extra was displaying the middle of the 6th.

15 minutes after the game was over, it was still displaying the "current" info for the 6th inning.

My take on it - currently a useless feature with some possible potential.

Most Valued Poster

@chuclkw wrote:

Happy 4th all.

My report on MLB Sports Extra: mostly a waste of time.

I was watching the Nats and Giants and thought I'd checkout Extras.

At the middle of the 8th inning Extra was displaying the middle of the 6th.

15 minutes after the game was over, it was still displaying the "current" info for the 6th inning.

My take on it - currently a useless feature with some possible potential.

I totally agree. I had my husband look at the extras for the first time yesterday because we were trying to monitor or watch the soccer match, NASCAR and a live program as well as our beloved  hometown NATS game. I did not 'bait' him with the 'busy-ness of the TMI'  of the extras  and how some it changed screens w/o user input and he noticed right away that the timing was way off for the game stats and was not pleased with all busy stuff either. Too much info with tiny font on some screens like team roster, screen changes by itself, etc.

Regular Contributor

I assume that when you referred to "our Nats", I was part of the "our".

Regular Contributor

I did more testing with the X11 voice remote. Several times the system got completely confused, and then no matter what voice command I tried, it displayed a message that "Something's not quie right." Then a reboot was required to get voice commands to start working again. Voice commands on X1 iPhone/iPad app work better than this.
Most Valued Poster

@chuclkw wrote:

I assume that when you referred to "our Nats", I was part of the "our".

Yes Indeedy neighbor! nats.png

Silver Problem Solver

XRE 154.06 07/01/2015 today.

Still have STB 2.0.2p4s1.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

@RobertWy wrote:

See anything different with 154.06?

I just received 154.05 yesterday but have had 2.02p7s1 for some time now....

No rhyme no reason...  <GRIN>

-=Ray=-

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Contributor

@geek46 wrote:

@RobertWy wrote:

See anything different with 154.06?

I just received 154.05 yesterday but have had 2.02p7s1 for some time now....

No rhyme no reason...  <GRIN>

-=Ray=-

The exact relationship between the XRE server version and the STB version vis a vis which does what is not clear. The XRE server version name would suggest that it is responsible for the cloud communications and objects that it downloads from the cloud and the STB version would handle all the in Box program functions but they appear to be more closely integrated than is immediately apparent. ( The proceeding statement is an example of Technical Doublespeak which is closely related to Frontier Gibberish, think Gabby Johnson in "Blazing Saddles"). 

I remember a manual I had for a Sony remote years ago that said "To change TV channel,  press channel change remote button please."

The point is like many X! features, the user is left to his own devices to try and understand how things work. We can all see the effects of X1 version changes but are kept in the dark as to the program logic behind them.

I could care less about a voice activated remote as a lot of the time it would be getting commands from me that would consist of four letter expletives.

The way X1 keeps morphing into new features and displays makes we wonder if Comcast will ever reach a state where they fix everything and give the users a "rest".

Microsoft downloads patches to the windows OS at least once a month but at least they don't change the way the OS works every patch. It is a system Comcast could learn from.

Most Valued Poster

I will have to try four letter words with the voice remote.  We have really enjoyed it for searching for movies or actors. Of course over the weekend the mic and the word 'listening' disappeared from the screen but the functionality was still there. Came back 36 hrs later.
Comcast is definitely wearing us out with changes we can't 'see', bugs,  screwups and feature removals. My husband  thinks I'm nuts checking versions and updates all the time. He wanted to know if anything really ever  beneficially changes and I said "who in the H*** knows".

Beowolf Jones said:I could care less about a voice activated remote as a lot of the time it would be getting commands from me that would consist of four letter expletives.

The way X1 keeps morphing into new features and displays makes we wonder if Comcast will ever reach a state where they fix everything and give the users a "rest".

Problem Solver

@TerriB wrote:

Beowulf Jones said: I will have to try four letter words with the voice remote.  We have really enjoyed it for searching for movies or actors. Of course over the weekend the mic and the word 'listening' disappeared from the screen but the functionality was still there. Came back 36 hrs later.
Comcast is definitely wearing us out with changes we can't 'see', bugs,  screwups and feature removals. My husband  thinks I'm nuts checking versions and updates all the time. He wanted to know if anything really ever  beneficially changes and I said "who in the H*** knows".

I could care less about a voice activated remote as a lot of the time it would be getting commands from me that would consist of four letter expletives.

It likes to scold you on your language when you do so.. Yes, I've been frustrated at it a few times Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

Yes Teri I can see a use for the voice activated remote for actors and movies since Comcast broke/removed the Comcast labs saved searches function.I also agree with you that they should remove it from the Comcast labs settings as it no longer works.  I often feel they must have a division dedicated to frustrating their users staffed by Aliens who feed off the negative emotions their changes generate. The Frustrusians are very well fed.

Regular Contributor

@scjohnson312 wrote:

@TerriB wrote:

Beowulf Jones said: I will have to try four letter words with the voice remote.  We have really enjoyed it for searching for movies or actors. Of course over the weekend the mic and the word 'listening' disappeared from the screen but the functionality was still there. Came back 36 hrs later.

It likes to scold you on your language when you do so.. Yes, I've been frustrated at it a few times Smiley Wink

Hmmm .....

It's a good thing it doesn't fine you a credit for each violation of the verbal morality standard. If I had one of these remotes, I'm sure I would have enough violation slips that I wouldn't need the three sea shells.

(Sorry Sly)

nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

Regular Contributor

Terri,

But of course!!

Chuck.

Regular Contributor

I have the NBC channel 4 Washington, DC, app on my android phone.

I get push notifications and when I TRY to go to them, they're not there.

Let's see, who is it that ownes NBC?

Most Valued Poster

@chuclkw wrote:

Gee wonder who? I have that app but don't have notifications pushed so have not experienced what you did. Maybe it was in the app Labs and they took it away. Sorry.....just had to say that.

Regular Contributor

local affiliates are independently owned. if you are talking about an NBC program from the regular NBC app then that is comcast but your local affiliate is not comcast. in my area it is hearst communications.

@chuclkw wrote:

Contributor

on my Xi3 i  the have STB 2.0.1p4s1 it will not update to have STB 2.0.2p4s1 it say downlaed fail  i have the have STB 2.0.2p4s1 on the DVR

Expert

@dan9055 wrote:

on my Xi3 i  the have STB 2.0.1p4s1 it will not update to have STB 2.0.2p4s1 it say downlaed fail  i have the have STB 2.0.2p4s1 on the DVR

Updates are not "equal" among all of the boxes...  for instance, I had the latest Xi3 FW pushed down to me and it is 2.02p6s1...  both of my DVR's have 2.02p7s1....  You will not get an update until it is ready for distribution in your market area.

-=Ray=-

Regular Contributor

I did the research necessary to find out who your affiliate is for NBC 4 in Washington DC. WRC-TV is one of the very few affiliates owned by comcast and nbc universal so I apologize, my prior post is not relevant for your affiliate. For mine, as said before, it's Hearst but for you it's still Comcast. But I bet the app has a third party developer for whom you would need to discuss problems with push notifications. I don't have have that app so I'm not sure but try the contact us on the app?

@chuclkw wrote:

Regular Contributor

Thanks.

I was about to tell you that when i saw your note. NY, LA, and DC are among the 10 stations owned and operated.

Problem Solver

@RobertWy wrote:

Heh, and here I am just get 1.54.05 today..

Still on 'ye olde' 2.0.2p4s1 as well.

Regular Contributor

Hey TeriB,

I got XRE 1.54.05 and the saved searches function is working again. I really missed this function. I hope Comcast listens to the users and makes this a permanent feature. (Although as we all know that doesn't mean the next upgrade won't break/remove it). The only permanent feature we can count on so far is permanently being subjected to upgrades.

Clock.gif

Valued Contributor

Re: Upcoming X1 Updates and both

Hi Everyone,

Please see below for some of the X1 updates coming your way in July:

Pre-Orders And More

Please note that the features outlined in the blog posts are customer facing highlights from our releases and do not include bug fixes.

Enjoy!

Gwen

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee.
I no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions
may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered?
Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

When are we going to get the "Live Titles" feature for the Last 9 and Guide?

Also the other feature where you can see for example the score and inning right on the guide when highlighting a baseball game.

These 2 cool features were shown over a year ago at the cable show in 2014!

I really hope these enhancments are still planned for X1!

Gold Problem Solver

Gate,

I remember the "live tile" feature being mentioned and it sounds very cool. However wouldn't each live tile eat up an X1 tuner?

Considering how hard Comcast is pushing Xi3, I have a feeling this feature has fallen off of the map...

@gate1975mlm wrote:

When are we going to get the "Live Titles" feature for the Last 9 and Guide?

Also the other feature where you can see for example the score and inning right on the guide when highlighting a baseball game.

These 2 cool features were shown over a year ago at the cable show in 2014!

I really hope these enhancments are still planned for X1!

Regular Contributor

Thanks Gwen! As always, your info on the updates brings happiness to my home. I particularly like the new video bar and the account information! Keep up the good work!

@ComcastGwen wrote:

Hi Everyone,

Please see below for some of the X1 updates coming your way in July:

Pre-Orders And More

Please note that the features outlined in the blog posts are customer facing highlights from our releases and do not include bug fixes.

Enjoy!

Gwen