jfk1659's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

Friday, June 19th, 2020 8:00 AM

Closed

Unable to activate new/additional TV boxes

I currently have internet and one TV and those services are working fine.  I resently ordered and recieved a self installation kit to add two additional TVs.  While attempting to install a new/additional TV box, I kept getting;

Sorry, we're having some trouble.

Please tighten your cable connection then resatart your TV box, which can often fix common issues.

RDK-03036

I decided to try the TV connection that is currently working with the existing cable box and I get the same error.  However, I switch the cables back to the existing (already activated) box and TV works fine.  I'm attempting to convert from DirecTV to Xfinity for TV services but............

Any help would greatly be appreciated.  Thanks

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

The XG2 is the main box. It needs to be plugged in, get to live tv etc. If it’s not plugged in, the new boxes can’t communicate. The XG2 has 4 tuners and each box takes one. Sorry, I assumed it was plugged in all the time

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Follow your cables, and don’t use direct tv splitters etc. your equipment isn’t communicating. What model of boxes?

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Model: PXD01ANI

The DirecTV cables are seperate from the Xfinity Cables and are using seperate spliters.  The new boxes are not communicating on the same cable I have a Xfinity DVR that works perfectly.  I'm not understanding why the DVR box is working but can't get the new boxes activated.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Is there an amp involved with the cable setup? If you put the dvr where you want the XiD to go, do you get live tv?

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

No amp involved, I believe because the inital setup was just one TV.  I took the cable splitter out of the equation and connected the working TV with a barrel connector.  The DVR worked fine using the barrel connector or spliter and gets TV but the new box does not get tv, or will connect to activate.

If an amp is needed, what is recommened?

I will move the working DVR to where I want the new box and test that.

UPDATE: After moving the DVR to where I want to install the new box, no live TV.  However, removing the splitter and using a barrel connector (direct line) I was able to get live TV.  It appears an amp is indeed needed?  What do you recommend?

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

The one I have is one of those cheap 4-ways you can get at the hardware store. LOL  I'll look into the one you posted.  Thanks.

UPDATE:  just ordered the one you recommended.  I'll post an update once I install it.

UPDATE: UPDATE:  Recieved and installed recommended splitter.  Connected the power and the existing box works, as before, but new boxes still do not connect.  

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

That’s more of a sign of a bad splitter/or not a live coax connection not necessarily an amp needed. What type are you using? The one posted is the type Comcast uses

1 Attachment

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Recieved and installed recommended splitter.  Connected the power and the existing box works, as before, but new boxes still do not connect.  

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@jfk1659 wrote:

Recieved and installed recommended splitter.  Connected the power and the existing box works, as before, but new boxes still do not connect.  

do you see a code or just welcome screen? did you install an amp type splitter? describe your wiring?

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

My original service is internet with one TV.  I connected an existing coax cable that was used for DirecTV to Xfinity modem for TV.  The original Xfinity TV installation works fine.  Ordered and recieved two new X1 TV boxes and using the working/existing coax, I am unable to activate the new boxes.  Purchase and installed the above splitter/amp.  Still, the existing TV Box (DVR) works, neither of the new boxes with activate.  The error code is in my first post.  I'm not understanding why the original box works fine but the new boxes, using a working coax connection, will not.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

The DVR model is XG2v2-P.  

Ports 1-4 are being used, not the voip port.  Power to the Power in port.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

It’s possible it’s the main box not being able to communicate out to those boxes. On the amp the boxes should be ports 1,2,3 etc not the voip port.

The one thing that hasn’t been stated is the model of the main box, all was posted was DVR. Is it an X1 dvr or legacy dvr, it makes a big difference.

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

Ok, wait a second.  You mentioned "main" box.  I've been trying to activate the new X1 boxes by disconnecting the DVR box and connecting the new X1 box using the known working coax cable connection.  Do these new X1 boxes (being used as additional TVs) need to communicate with the DVR?

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

No worries, don't be sorry, I understand things are a bit more difficult when trying to troubleshoot via text. LOL  It's all good.  Let me try to connect one of the X1 boxes in addition to the DVR and I'll let you know how it goes. 🙂  As long as I get it to work, that's all that counts 🙂

Frequent Visitor

• 

13 Messages

4 years ago

That did it, it worked.  I didn't realize the boxes were not seperate, their own tuners.  Plus having a bad splitter.  Thank you for your help.   I really appreciate it.  

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here