Community Forum

Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

New Poster

Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

Looks like the football game i recorded is recorded on the cloud DVR. Watching the playback, the quality is TERRIBLE, like almost unwatchable.

Looking thru my recordings, I’m not sure i even have a local DVR, because all recordings appear to play from cloud DVR. This is very upsetting IF the quality is going to be this poor. If I’m paying for HD channels and recording capability.

So far i have been pretty disappointed in the x1 service - i hope someone can point me in the right direction on this issue.
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?


@Jbost188 wrote:
Looks like the football game i recorded is recorded on the cloud DVR. Watching the playback, the quality is TERRIBLE, like almost unwatchable.

Looking thru my recordings, I’m not sure i even have a local DVR, because all recordings appear to play from cloud DVR. This is very upsetting IF the quality is going to be this poor. If I’m paying for HD channels and recording capability.

So far i have been pretty disappointed in the x1 service - i hope someone can point me in the right direction on this issue.

What device are you using for playback - your DVR?  If so, which DVR do you have?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/x1-hub-vs-companion-box

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

I think it’s the Pace and Sisco Xid Xi. But i can’t find anything that was actually recorded to a DVR, everything appears to be replay from the cloud. How can i tell if there’s anything recorded to DVR?
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?


@Jbost188 wrote:
I think it’s the Pace and Sisco Xid Xi. But i can’t find anything that was actually recorded to a DVR, everything appears to be replay from the cloud. How can i tell if there’s anything recorded to DVR?

As a verification method, I use the Stream website:

https://www.xfinity.com/stream/recordings

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?


@Jbost188 wrote:
I think it’s the Pace and Sisco Xid Xi. But i can’t find anything that was actually recorded to a DVR, everything appears to be replay from the cloud. How can i tell if there’s anything recorded to DVR?

while playing press the down button on remote. does it say 'DVR' or does it have a cloud icon in front of the "DVR" letters? what is the type of TV (flat panel? 1k? 4K? is your output of the DVR in 720p?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

It shows the cloud icon on every show I’ve recorded. The picture is set to the highest resolution, watching on a 1080 LED.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

You would have to have a physical DVR, if not, everything is recorded through/to the cloud. This would be dependent on the tv service you’re paying for.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Contributor

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

It may depend on your location and plan, but you should be able to swap your box for one that has a DVR.  If you have an xfinity office nearby you can pick them up to swap yourself and have a month to bring the old one back - if not they should ship you one for self-install.  On my plan there is a 'dvr' fee separate from any device and the same individual fee per device whether it is a dvr or not.  This may be a recent change and not the same everywhere, though.    Also, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a cloud or local recording, but I haven't looked closely at something like a sports event where you want quick response to pausing and replays.

Expert

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?


@lesmikesell wrote:

It may depend on your location and plan, but you should be able to swap your box for one that has a DVR.  If you have an xfinity office nearby you can pick them up to swap yourself and have a month to bring the old one back - if not they should ship you one for self-install.  On my plan there is a 'dvr' fee separate from any device and the same individual fee per device whether it is a dvr or not.  This may be a recent change and not the same everywhere, though.    Also, I'm not sure I could tell the difference between a cloud or local recording, but I haven't looked closely at something like a sports event where you want quick response to pausing and replays.


the cloud DVR has the same feed recorded as was recorded by the home DVR. the cloud DVR server transcodes the video just-in-time for delivery to a stream device depending on the quality of the signal to the device and that includes any throttling by cell data providers or wifi data providers (does not apply to your in-home wifi).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

Signed up, and came from DirecTV. DVR box in house. Picture is horrible....ugh.

normal live TV isnt much better. FOX is the worse! I’m on my second DVR box and it’s just as bad.

 

think I will have to go elsewhere...... to bad directv is double the price.

 

im happy with Comcast internet though

 

 

i also have top of the line Panasonic plasma TVs and they were almost perfect picture wise.

Contributor

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?

Which DVR box do you have?  When I first did the self-install on the 4k dvr I thought it looked worse than the old 1080 one, with a lot of motion blur but then found that I had to use HDMI 2 or 3 only on my TV and enable an 'enhanced' setting to make 4k/hdr work.   After the changes and restarting both the TV and box, everything looked good.   I'm not sure why it worked at all with mismatched settings though - I would have expected no picture instead of a slightly bad one.

Expert

Re: Terrible quality on Cloud DVR?


@Sobeit69 wrote:

Signed up, and came from DirecTV. DVR box in house. Picture is horrible....ugh.

normal live TV isnt much better. FOX is the worse! I’m on my second DVR box and it’s just as bad.

 

think I will have to go elsewhere...... to bad directv is double the price.

 

im happy with Comcast internet though

 

i also have top of the line Panasonic plasma TVs and they were almost perfect picture wise.


please resist cross-posting problems so that there is one place that the users/employees can assist your issues.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!